Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Gaius Marius posted:

What's it like never saving madd dogg

Heaven was missing an angel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I hate that modern graphics will keep us from having another GTA San Andreas game. It just would be too expensive with modern graphics to put in everything that was in that game, or make something even half as big.

The graphical arms race was a mistake.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

You make a good point. I've been playing DUSK, and it's become one of my favorites this year while looking like it was released in 1997. The level design is fantastic, some of the best I've seen in a shooter. In spite of the simple graphics, it's incredibly atmospheric, in no small part thanks to a glorious soundtrack. Very surreal vibe too, something that's become rare in gaming now that everything's supposed to look "realistic".

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've been enjoying Ion Fury as well. I wanna pick up DUSK when it goes on sale on the switch

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't know why devs keep selling "season passes" for games that never have seasons, nor do they ever get new content at all. Like, a season pass that includes 3 DLC (that are cosmetic) at launch. And nothing ever again.

Everyone knows that there won't be seasons, it's a 4X game. Why bother pretending?

Conversely, I think actual seasons and season passes in games that work well with it are good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I don't know why devs keep selling "season passes" for games that never have seasons, nor do they ever get new content at all. Like, a season pass that includes 3 DLC (that are cosmetic) at launch. And nothing ever again.

Everyone knows that there won't be seasons, it's a 4X game. Why bother pretending?
:homebrew:

Probably more people buy season passes thinking this time it's going to be great than would otherwise buy the dlcs. But that's just my guess.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lol what 4X game is hawking a season pass???

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Meme Poker Party posted:

lol what 4X game is hawking a season pass???

Well Civ 6 has the New Frontiers Pass, which I guess doesn't technically imply a season pass, but also dumb wording and they knew what they were doing.

BioShock Infinite had a season pass tho. I don't know why. It includes the two DLC episodes plus two rando DLCs. But there never was a season, that was all the content they were gonna release. Like, I have no problem selling a DLC pre-order, but framing it as a season is loving dumb.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

syntaxfunction posted:

Conversely, I think actual seasons and season passes in games that work well with it are good.

The term is just totally divorced from its original meaning, just like "GOTY edition"

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

limp_cheese posted:

I hate that modern graphics will keep us from having another GTA San Andreas game. It just would be too expensive with modern graphics to put in everything that was in that game, or make something even half as big.

The graphical arms race was a mistake.

On this note, Ravenfield is a very interesting game. It's a single player Battlefield-like that uses minimal graphics to maximize the number of combatants on the map. It will actually automatically max out the number of combatants based on what your computer can handle.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I ain't paying 60 bucks for the GTA trilogy on ps4. gently caress that

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

is pepsi ok posted:

On this note, Ravenfield is a very interesting game. It's a single player Battlefield-like that uses minimal graphics to maximize the number of combatants on the map. It will actually automatically max out the number of combatants based on what your computer can handle.

Kinda like the EDF games with their armies of 9999 low-res giant insects for you to airstrike.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

chainchompz posted:

Although it's turn based, battletech is way more fun than MW5.

I play MW5 with a HOTAS and, honestly, same

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

is pepsi ok posted:

How's the gameplay? For 15 bucks I could be interested in that

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Unpopular opinion: the new Xcom game is really, really weak.

I know it got good reviews and I keep trying it but, everything is super dumbed down. The enemies don't even move until you spot them.

Xenonaughts is SO much better.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
golfchat;

Golf is actually super cheap if you plan on playing a lot of it at an amateur level. A membership at my public course is comparable to paying for two seasons of soccer fees except you can play as much as you want, all day, every day, and you get free entry to play as many comps as you can. It's only expensive if you play once a week casually - I play soccer once a week in a pickup game which is, of course, 100% free, so there's no comparison to paying 30 bucks to play a round of golf.

Having played a ton of sports golf easily has the best overall community as well, people are always super friendly and welcoming and even in real competitions the battle is against yourself so nobody is a dickhead. Comparatively I've seen several fights in amateur soccer and even a normal game involves a lot of hard tackles and general unsportsmanlike behaviour (this is part of the appeal though to be honest).

the idea that golf is for stuffy old fucks is fully wrong unless you specifically join and play at Sir Cumingtons Country Club and even then you'll probably find a bunch of young dudes to play with who are on a free ride because they're so good they get to play for free.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

abigserve posted:

golfchat;

Golf is actually super cheap if you plan on playing a lot of it at an amateur level. A membership at my public course is comparable to paying for two seasons of soccer fees except you can play as much as you want, all day, every day, and you get free entry to play as many comps as you can. It's only expensive if you play once a week casually - I play soccer once a week in a pickup game which is, of course, 100% free, so there's no comparison to paying 30 bucks to play a round of golf.

Having played a ton of sports golf easily has the best overall community as well, people are always super friendly and welcoming and even in real competitions the battle is against yourself so nobody is a dickhead. Comparatively I've seen several fights in amateur soccer and even a normal game involves a lot of hard tackles and general unsportsmanlike behaviour (this is part of the appeal though to be honest).

the idea that golf is for stuffy old fucks is fully wrong unless you specifically join and play at Sir Cumingtons Country Club and even then you'll probably find a bunch of young dudes to play with who are on a free ride because they're so good they get to play for free.

What kind of money is that? I've always played public courses (and worked at one for a few years cause gently caress yeah) but the clubs I know about are all super expensive.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

pro starcraft loser posted:

What kind of money is that? I've always played public courses (and worked at one for a few years cause gently caress yeah) but the clubs I know about are all super expensive.

The course I play at is 1000 bucks (AUD) a year. It also includes a lot of practice amenities and, if you had the time, you could play three competitions a week (or five? I think, if you're an old person, they run senior specific comps).

I think you can get snookered depending on where you live though, you may legitimately only have expensive clubs around where you live and that sucks.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

abigserve posted:

The course I play at is 1000 bucks (AUD) a year. It also includes a lot of practice amenities and, if you had the time, you could play three competitions a week (or five? I think, if you're an old person, they run senior specific comps).

I think you can get snookered depending on where you live though, you may legitimately only have expensive clubs around where you live and that sucks.

Only 1000 Astonshingly Unerect Dicks???

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

abigserve posted:

poo poo, thats not bad at all if you play a couple times a month and get food and stuff.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

golf courses are a waste of water and space

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

golf courses are a waste of water and space

They're turning them into homeless encampments here for the winter, sorry you hate the less fortunate among us!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I have opinions about a game that's probably been talked about to death but is new to me. Rad Dad 2 is loving infuriating in story mode, in camp mode, town mode. By the time you get to the big city there is a fairly hilarious bit in a square where you can run and then forced to walk and then run like 4 or 5 times in a row as you go through. Arthur looks like he's walking in to the wind drunk stuttering and falling.

The story bits though, first your horse stalls out. Get off and walk a couple meters and then you're sucked in to forced motion, then you can walk from side to side a little bit. Then more forced. Then basically do what you're told. You can do it slowly or badly but do it the way the game wants and you'll be rewarded by more cinematic and then you can choose to kill someone or let them go.

An hour of suffering for the chance to get out in the world and do tasks to make money to upgrade your stuff and buy cool cars horses. Then go back to camp where you can't even clean your weapons and yet you talk to someone who has something intimate to share with you, sit down next to them and immediately pull out a huge knife and start polishing it menacingly.

How do they spend so much money and get so many basic things wrong? It's like speculating about how they make a 300 million dollar movie by committee and the dialogue is flat and boring, the plot is nonsensical. loving hate R* for this. GTA V single player was amazing compared to this.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Rad Dad Redumption 2

I just played for the poker minigame.

I had an especially annoying tutorial nonsense bit at the beginning.

*Gets off horse, try to load rifle, doesn't work, gets told to get back on horse, horse takes 2 steps, told to get off horse, told to load rifle, rifle now works*

Wtf is this poo poo? The tutorial just tried to teach me to never do anything I'm supposed to do until I'm told to?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

How do they spend so much money and get so many basic things wrong? It's like speculating about how they make a 300 million dollar movie by committee and the dialogue is flat and boring, the plot is nonsensical. loving hate R* for this. GTA V single player was amazing compared to this.

I realise the thread we're in but this is a real "burn at the stake" opinion you got there

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rockstar hasn’t been good since the PS2 with the sole exception of the first Red Dead Redemption.

Their games feel too serious and like they got their heads up their asses about making serious art for serious people and they seem to have forgotten the things people liked about their PS2 output.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I have been playing Breath of the Wild for about 12 hours and god, people would never put up with this tedious poo poo if it weren't a Zelda game.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mescal posted:

I have been playing Breath of the Wild for about 12 hours and god, people would never put up with this tedious poo poo if it weren't a Zelda game.

I gave up like 4 hours in. Tedious is the right word

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

BOTW is just zelda skyrim

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Vandar posted:

Rockstar hasn’t been good since the PS2 with the sole exception of the first Red Dead Redemption.

Their games feel too serious and like they got their heads up their asses about making serious art for serious people and they seem to have forgotten the things people liked about their PS2 output.

they definitely do not feel serious and are not trying to be serious

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Excelzior posted:

BOTW is just zelda skyrim

Can't be. Nintendo doesn't rely on their customers to make their games good for them.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Can't be. Nintendo doesn't rely on their customers to make their games good for them.

they just rely on nintendo fans pretending their games are better than they are instead

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Maybe it's just because I don't get up to open world shenanigans, but I can't imagine wanting to play any of the GTA trilogy in TYOOL 2021. I guess San Andreas might be marginally playable but Rockstar's mission design has literally always been spiteful and miserable.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

some of the missions are difficult, yes

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

big smoke : all you had to so was follow the drat train at juuuuuust the right distance from it, not too close and not too far, for my fat rear end to do anything

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Excelzior posted:

big smoke : all you had to so was follow the drat train at juuuuuust the right distance from it, not too close and not too far, for my fat rear end to do anything

lmao I was replaying that on my ps2 the other day and about 15 minutes in I was so loving pissed, idk how 18-year-old mrqwerty put up with that fuckin horseshit

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

John Murdoch posted:

Maybe it's just because I don't get up to open world shenanigans, but I can't imagine wanting to play any of the GTA trilogy in TYOOL 2021. I guess San Andreas might be marginally playable but Rockstar's mission design has literally always been spiteful and miserable.

Same. Even back in the PS2 days the only fun I had with those games was passing the controller back abd forth with friends to see who can go on the best, longest rampage. The actual missions were always a miserable chore you do to unlock more stuff in the open world.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vandar posted:

I hate Rockstar but RDR2 had the most lived in world I'd ever seen and has ruined harassing NPCs in other games for me.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
BOTW was frustrating. I heard all the stories of ‘go anywhere and explore.’

So I did - for a few hours- I did so much off the beaten track I ended up in a boss right with some dude that threw lightning. I asked some coworkers that gushed about the game and they asked if I did X or talked to Y or did a Z side quest -

Buddy - I ‘went exploring’ and did shrines. So I didn’t have certain items or whatever.

I was told I played the game wrong.

Lol. Link to the past is better. I might do a randomizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Breath of the wild? More like Blue Rooms of the Wild