Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This will be the first from game where my first build will be a miracle build. I can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

STR being the carry stat now is going to change a lot of poo poo,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also re: magic speculation, it's also possible there are a bunch of extremely rad sorceries that aren't in the network test, either because they're really late-game spells or because From wanted to show off how cool and varied miracles are now compared to Souls games.

I'd say that sorcery builds can at least look forward to the Moonlight Greatsword (because you know that's in there somewhere), but that hasn't always scaled off Int and in fact its first Souls series appearance had it as a Faith weapon, so we'll see.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

skasion posted:

That identity has already been pretty completely degraded since uh, Dark Souls 1.

yeah by DS3 both classes of magic have really strong utility and offensive options. lightning arrow is on like every faith build

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Harrow posted:

Also re: magic speculation, it's also possible there are a bunch of extremely rad sorceries that aren't in the network test, either because they're really late-game spells or because From wanted to show off how cool and varied miracles are now compared to Souls games.

I'd say that sorcery builds can at least look forward to the Moonlight Greatsword (because you know that's in there somewhere), but that hasn't always scaled off Int and in fact its first Souls series appearance had it as a Faith weapon, so we'll see.

I want the Moonlight Greatsword to exist but be impossibly heavy because it's really meant for an Armored Core.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Intelligence being the Dexterity to Faith's Strength is definitely a way to do magic.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Thundercracker posted:

I want the Moonlight Greatsword to exist but be impossibly heavy because it's really meant for an Armored Core.

This.

Also it’s nice to see Faith get way more options. Playing the DeS remake right now and I forgot just how bad Miracles were. There are one or two actually good ones (anti magic field and second chance), a bunch that are only meant for summoning and invasions and are useless for PvE, and the rest are healing and curing spells that are nice at the very start of the game when healing items are limited so it’s like a few extra free heals, but they are so slow to cast you can’t use them in combat.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It is wild to me that the starting area had that much content to show (one of the youtube people said 8 hours of content in the network test, ymfah said "like 15 bosses"), and it didn't even include the full legacy dungeon or its final boss, and then there are like 5 or 6 more areas beyond it.

What impresses me most is the environmental destruction seen with some of the open world bosses. That horseback guy smashing down the walls/pillars of the chapel you can hide in is badass as gently caress. And trees being knocked over from the swipe of the dragon's tail or being burnt to cinders is just loving cool as hell. poo poo, I was somewhat skeptical but still looking forward to it before, but now it has my hooks in me good. Still over three months away. :cry:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Has this been posted yet? This boss looks absolutely bizarre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQ-tgbAHEs&t=2s

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

kanonvandekempen posted:

Hasn't magic been overpowerd in every souls game?

Not really? Demon's, sure. Dark1 had super good pyro even after they patched it and once Dark Bead happened it tore through everything. Dark2 was nerf stacked on nerf and I've never finished a magic run past the initial release. Dark3 I tried multiple times to get a magic setup but it's universally worse than melee. Over time magic joined shields in the meme "only pussies use this instead of 2h and rolling naked" internet culture that From was weirdly into.

Having magic not suck in ER would be a sweet novelty.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pulcinella posted:

This.

Also it’s nice to see Faith get way more options. Playing the DeS remake right now and I forgot just how bad Miracles were. There are one or two actually good ones (anti magic field and second chance), a bunch that are only meant for summoning and invasions and are useless for PvE, and the rest are healing and curing spells that are nice at the very start of the game when healing items are limited so it’s like a few extra free heals, but they are so slow to cast you can’t use them in combat.

Both of those are brokenly good tbf, as is Wrath of God

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Mailer posted:

Not really? Demon's, sure. Dark1 had super good pyro even after they patched it and once Dark Bead happened it tore through everything. Dark2 was nerf stacked on nerf and I've never finished a magic run past the initial release. Dark3 I tried multiple times to get a magic setup but it's universally worse than melee. Over time magic joined shields in the meme "only pussies use this instead of 2h and rolling naked" internet culture that From was weirdly into.

Having magic not suck in ER would be a sweet novelty.

Even pre DLC sorcery in DS1 is game-breakingly good. Dark bead only became a meme because on top of being game-breakingly good it was also hard to dodge in PvP, unlike other sorceries.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The biggest problem sorcery has had in most Souls games is just that it's boring. You can shoot a blue laser, or a faster blue laser, or a bigger, slower blue laser. In Dark Souls 3 you can shoot an even bigger blue laser. Sometimes you can make little blue lasers float around you and shoot automatically when enemies get close. You can make your weapon glow blue and do more damage, unless you've already got an element on it, then you can't (except in DS2). What flashier options exist are often impractical to actually use in a fight.

Demon's Souls has some decently fun sorcery if only because you get Firestorm and can use it to see some very big numbers when you nuke a boss with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hadn't seen that one that poo poo is so cool and weird. Excited about what strange creatures and bosses they got cooked up for this one.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

In DS1 it worked because sorceries were provided to you on a reasonable power curve and cast limits meant that even weaker spells had some use. In DS2 spells are all loving over the place in no logical order and cast limits are more like cast suggestions, and in DS3 they’re all over the place AND the replacement of cast counts with FP means that you’re actively being punished for doing anything but attuning the most FP-efficient soul arrow and using it to the exclusion of everything else. DeS could have had this problem as well but in practice, magic in DeS is so good it doesn’t actually matter. Since they’re keeping FP in Elden Ring I hope they’ve made up a few reason why it’s good for a magic build to not just cast 100000 soul arrows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, it's showed up in a few videos. It seems like they're really pushing the "weird" in this one. There's gonna be a lot more enemies and neutral creatures who are just plain odd or quirky. Though the grotesqueness is still alive and well in some of the bosses.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
i'm trying hard to avoid spoilers of all types so i'm out of the loop - could someone catch me up on how multiplayer/coop will work in this?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Beans posted:

i'm trying hard to avoid spoilers of all types so i'm out of the loop - could someone catch me up on how multiplayer/coop will work in this?

As far as I've seen it's their regular multiplayer but I may have missed something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

It's a pretty standard souls-style summoning/invasion system. Summoning is still treated as a special event, and the summoned player doesn't advance their own campaign while summoned. You can now only invade the worlds of players who have summoned another player. Solo players cannot be invaded unless they use a special item to allow it. I don't know how summoning friends works, but I think there's a system for that? I haven't seen any of the preview videos discuss that, actually.

One weird quirk is that you cannot use your mount when multiplayer is active. I guess From figured the added mobility wouldn't work well in a multiplayer setting.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

As far as I've seen it's their regular multiplayer but I may have missed something.

Mostly but if you're solo the only way to get invaded is to use a consumable dried finger equivalent

e: also apparently invaders get an item that spawns them close to the host that they can use both to re-approach one that's running away from them and to retreat from an engagement and regroup

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 11, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

What do summons get for completing a boss fight?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I see that powerstancing is in, but does anyone know if you can mix and match two different weapon types and still have the regular moveset in each hand? DS2 let you do that, so you could have something like a rapier in one hand and a curved sword in the other and still have the full movesets for both.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The invasion system seems a bit different too. Invaders get a marker on their compass leading to the host, while the host gets no such thing pointing to the invader. Since you can typically only invade worlds with two or more players doing co-op, and with the open-world nature of the game, PvP will be ambush heavy it seems, rather than the typical dark souls style of "charge toward the enemy and just gently caress em up."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The guy with the big helmet and flail who's summoned for the Godrick fight in the gameplay preview is a boss so that's pretty cool that you either unlock or buy bosses as summons.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The invasion system seems a bit different too. Invaders get a marker on their compass leading to the host, while the host gets no such thing pointing to the invader. Since you can typically only invade worlds with two or more players doing co-op, and with the open-world nature of the game, PvP will be ambush heavy it seems, rather than the typical dark souls style of "charge toward the enemy and just gently caress em up."

I wonder how accurate the compass marker will be. Will I still be able to transform into a vase and go AFK for 20 minutes while the invader searches for me? Or will it have pinpoint accuracy?

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

It basically works like past games. Playing in co-op opens you up to invasions. However, you cannot be invaded while playing solo unless you use an item that specifically opens you up for invasions (think dried finger). They basically got rid of human/hollowed/embered etc and made solo invasions fully opt in. Pretty much like Bloodborne.

There is an item for dueling (ie red soap stone).

You can either summon allies at statues or via soul signs in the open world. I think the statues are near bosses, so used solely for that. Like past souls games, help the host kill the boss and get sent back to your own world. Soul signs seem to be more open ended where you run around with a host in the lands between.

The blue bro covenant seems to have returned. You can summon players that have a certain ring equipped when invaded.

Invaders have a consumable that can warp them to the nearest spawn point where the host is. This is to make it easier to find hosts in the land between. Invaders can also use this while in combat to warp away, which sounds a bit annoying tbh.

Also, I dont think there are any fog walls or restrictions for open area bosses. So expect invaders to hide behind bosses when losing lol.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The blue bro covenant seems to have returned. You can summon players that have a certain ring equipped when invaded.

They went back to rings instead of a dedicated covenant item slot like it was in DS3 and BB?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

oh man, i love this kinda poo poo. absolutely loving bizarre on all levels and it moves in a sorta freaky way that highlights what it is. i hope the game does a lot of designs that focus more on being weird than just being gory/some armored guy/whatever.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Groovelord Neato posted:

I hadn't seen that one that poo poo is so cool and weird. Excited about what strange creatures and bosses they got cooked up for this one.

My favorite part of every Souls game is when I see something in the Medium-Distance and go "what the gently caress is that"

e- which is of course why Bloodborne is my favorite game due to experiencing that feeling around essentially every corner you turn.

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 11, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

DourCricket posted:

My favorite part of every Souls game is when I see something in the Medium-Distance and go "what the gently caress is that"

e- which is of course why Bloodborne is my favorite game due to experiencing that feeling around essentially every corner you turn.

Yeah, I agree. I always liked playing with mods for games like Fallout NV and STALKER that blurred the lines between neutral/friendly NPCs and bandits, so you couldn't always look at a character from afar and immediately know "this person will try to kill me". To me, there's something neat about the tension you get when you're slowly approaching a group of NPCs, not sure if they're going to sell you something or shoot you on sight.

Obviously the Souls games can take this to another level, with surreal and monstrous characters that--despite their presentation--may just want you to feed them items, or share a riddle with you...or maybe they're mindless and will try to cut your head off the minute you step into their bubble.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is the first video I’ve watched since the announce trailer and I gotta say, this rules. If the game is full of weirdo bosses like this I’ll be thrilled

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Item Getter posted:

They went back to rings instead of a dedicated covenant item slot like it was in DS3 and BB?

Thats from what ive read. Havent played it yet so cant confirm

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
That kinda sucks since there are only 2 talisman (ring) slots

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly really digging how elden ring seems to come off like a 'greatest hits' compilation but with a bunch of really brushed up aspects thrown in for good measure

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I know not many people will care but it does seem like the collectors editions are streamlined worldwide. They all have the same kind there's no fancier Japanese one like there were for the Souls games.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.
On the note that the network test characters seem to have a lot of stamina: It seems like the first attack in combat doesn't take any stamina at all, but that counter seems to reset pretty quickly? Or maybe some mobs are treated as individual combats if you don't hit them all quickly enough? Anyone have more info on how the in-combat/out-of-combat distinction works for stamina?

Also, jumping in combat doesn't seem to use any stamina, which is a bit weird, but a jump when sprinting seems to use some.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ineffiable posted:

I know not many people will care but it does seem like the collectors editions are streamlined worldwide. They all have the same kind there's no fancier Japanese one like there were for the Souls games.
phew i was worried i might get a subpar collectible estus flask

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

never forget

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I think From has kinda changed the tone of Miracles in this game. They seem to be going for less of a "holy cleric" vibe with lots of golden light and more of a "animist shaman" vibe with a lot of channeling animal (and dragon) spirits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

One end to get started; the other end when you're nice and relaxed.