Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Are burglars bad for soloing even if you go blue line, re: the comments on the last page? I really want to get into this game because it seems like there’s a lot to do and a chillin world, but I can never find a class that truly resonates with me. I like spears and don’t mind complicated rotations (eg gw2 weaver) if the payoff is there, I also typically like melees that use magic but that does not seem to be a thing in this game. I do not like pets or shapeshifting. Warden is one potential class I might like but I don’t have it unlocked.

The idea of putting up debuffs/dots with a burglar and popping them for damage or heals or whatever seems really cool. Blue line drew me in, but it seems like it is poo poo for group content. I mostly solo so no big deal there. I also like the skill proc combos, I liked that about guardian as well.

The guy on this page who posted his goldilocks class requirements are actually similar to my preferences, randomly.

Any thoughts people can share on this quandary I’m having?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ort posted:

I like spears and don’t mind complicated rotations (eg gw2 weaver) if the payoff is there

Ort posted:

The idea of putting up debuffs/dots with a burglar and popping them for damage or heals or whatever seems really cool.

Ort posted:

Unlock Warden.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ort posted:

Are burglars bad for soloing even if you go blue line, re: the comments on the last page?

It's possible to solo with any character.

But burglars are probably the hardest.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ort posted:

Are burglars bad for soloing even if you go blue line, re: the comments on the last page? I really want to get into this game because it seems like there’s a lot to do and a chillin world, but I can never find a class that truly resonates with me. I like spears and don’t mind complicated rotations (eg gw2 weaver) if the payoff is there, I also typically like melees that use magic but that does not seem to be a thing in this game. I do not like pets or shapeshifting. Warden is one potential class I might like but I don’t have it unlocked.

The idea of putting up debuffs/dots with a burglar and popping them for damage or heals or whatever seems really cool. Blue line drew me in, but it seems like it is poo poo for group content. I mostly solo so no big deal there. I also like the skill proc combos, I liked that about guardian as well.
I leveled a burg to 54 back in the spring, I think I died once from fall damage. The game is easy no matter what you pick, and it's going to be a long, long time before you hit group content, so pick a class you enjoy.

Back in the spring the only non-desirable classes for raiding were rune keeper and guardian, but I think they both got buffed a bit since then.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
Playing last Spring, I saw a lot of minstrels rolling through Shire and Bree. That or Hunter/Warden seem to be popular solo classes.

I'll be honest, it was pretty quiet leveling 1-40 earlier in the year. If anyone wanted to put together a static group and start an alt on Landroval, I'd log back on a couple nights a week to see what's changed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If you want a challenge in lotro do the chicken runs solo.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Ort posted:

The guy on this page who posted his goldilocks class requirements are actually similar to my preferences, randomly.

This is very specific and I would agree with whoever said warden but the servers are lagging to the point where I'd say the class is almost non-viable, if you don't like pets you ruled out maybe the most difficult and obscure class to master for end game (loremaster) and if you don't like shapeshifting you just ruled out the easiest and most fun class that can switch from healing an entire raid to tanking or DPSing it with a few button presses and gear swaps.

Burglars do a couple of debuffs, the idea was mostly abandoned when the devs got more stupid and just doubled their damage to make them more similar to a champion. Fellowship maneuvers are not re-worked and raid leaders will tell you to do avoid doing them for maybe 6 or 7+? years now.

In summary: A beorning is a lower DPS champion who can turn into a bear and heal himself and his party forever, and you should play them even if you hate it

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

extra stout posted:

In summary: A beorning is a lower DPS champion who can turn into a bear and heal himself and his party forever, and you should play them even if you hate it

beornings:
pro - see above
con - you're a bear a lot of the time
hunters:
pro - you do the best single target damage in the game. you can teleport everywhere. you can run faster than anyone. you can track anything so "kill 10 x" quests are trivially easy for you compared to everyone else
con - not so great on self heals if something survives to swipe at you, everyone plays one and they have a reputation for being dumb
guardians:
pro - they tank
con - other classes tank just as well and guardians don't really do anything else
champions:
pro - best AOE damage in the game, single target damage isn't bad, with correct trait choices can self-heal with every kill and live forever
con - dependent on traits so at low level are kind of awful
loremasters:
pro - get pets, get debuffs, get good AOE damage spells, can wield a sword and staff at the same time and yell "YOU SHALL NOT PASS" at everyone in bree while wearing a wizard hat
con - very pet dependent so if you don't like pets not the class for you
captains:
pro - great buffs for other people, used to be the best tanks in endgame (not sure how that holds up today)
con - worst levelling experience in the game
minstrels:
pro - can heal, can yell at people to death while running around at full speed
con - were nerfed into paste and never really recovered, making lower levels especially painful
wardens:
pro - can do pretty much everything, even get hunter teleports
con - have to remember and chain combos like a fighting game, some people think this is a plus
runekeepers:
pro - only "wizard" class in the game (loremasters are more alchemists with animal issues), can heal and do damage
con - other classes heal and do damage better
burglars:
pro - only class with stealth making a lot of quests trivial
con - difficult to play and recently nerfed hard, other classes do equal or better damage now
brawlers:
pro - punch orcs to death with your fists, throw beer mugs and shoes
con - class just came out and is hilariously underpowered, don't play it yet

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's the tl;dr on professions? I haven't been around in half a decade and forgot everything I thought I knew.

Basically I"m wondering if there's some trap like you shouldn't ever ben a weaponsmith because top level gear is only available from killing gandalf or whatever

I bought vip for a month to unlock cheap expansions and have mostly been waffling between burglar and warden still. Warden seems really cool, I like the idea of being able to do pretty much anything with a lot of flexibility. I do not like shouting at things so I’m hoping I get a new fist builder someday. Other than that, no real complaints.

Burglar I like the aesthetic of a bit more and the blue line seems very interesting, and I like the crit chains. Overall it seems like less work than the warden, does more damage so far, and has a lot of passive heals with the green gamble and heal on evade. I’m only level 10 so I’m sure the feel is meaningless at the moment.

I probably will stick to the warden because of the flexibility it seems to have.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Ort posted:

I bought vip for a month to unlock cheap expansions and have mostly been waffling between burglar and warden still. Warden seems really cool, I like the idea of being able to do pretty much anything with a lot of flexibility. I do not like shouting at things so I’m hoping I get a new fist builder someday. Other than that, no real complaints.

Burglar I like the aesthetic of a bit more and the blue line seems very interesting, and I like the crit chains. Overall it seems like less work than the warden, does more damage so far, and has a lot of passive heals with the green gamble and heal on evade. I’m only level 10 so I’m sure the feel is meaningless at the moment.

I probably will stick to the warden because of the flexibility it seems to have.

I think there's a coupon giveaway for the expansion going on right now. You don't need VIP to unlock the previous content if you apply it to your account by end of November

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
If you get tired of the shouting, you can access the Filter Panel through Alt-R. You can filter out specific sounds so they stop playing. Helped when I picked up a cosmetic pet that had an annoying sound effect.

Another great solo option is Yellow Guardian. 2H and has a passive ability that blows up packs of mobs. Brought one up to the ~120's over a year ago and did very well. Similar to Warden in being able to charge into full camps and take them all down.

DryGoods posted:

If you get tired of the shouting, you can access the Filter Panel through Alt-R. You can filter out specific sounds so they stop playing. Helped when I picked up a cosmetic pet that had an annoying sound effect.

Another great solo option is Yellow Guardian. 2H and has a passive ability that blows up packs of mobs. Brought one up to the ~120's over a year ago and did very well. Similar to Warden in being able to charge into full camps and take them all down.

Oh that is amazing on the sound filters, thank you!

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the tl;dr on professions? I haven't been around in half a decade and forgot everything I thought I knew.

Basically I"m wondering if there's some trap like you shouldn't ever ben a weaponsmith because top level gear is only available from killing gandalf or whatever

Largely useless except for cook and maybe scholar, because they make consumables. Maybe the change to legendary equipment has made some of them useful again, but I doubt it.

Take Explorer, track and gather metal or wood, sell raw materials on the AH.

Note that I don't actually follow my own advice. I have enough alts to cover all the crafting skills. If you're going to do that, recommend making your main a Hunter or Warden and taking Explorer on them so they can gather the metal and wood suitable for your highest-level characters and teleport back to old areas to gather for your lower levels.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

So what's the story with the fellowship quests at this point? Is there an easy way to get a group for them, is there a mechanic to make them solo-able, etc?

I just rememberd the last time I played this I was a little annoyed at having to skip a lot of that lowbie content because of small fellowship quests that you coudln't find people for any more.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Did they nerf captains or something after the balance pass a few years back? Seems like the consensus is they are awful to level again but after the balance pass red line was a decent soloing spec, never gonna be confused for a dps class but had strong burst which is more important for landscape mobs for the most part.

Also for Wardens and the shouting, High Elf mix in some elvish shouts and I know Dwarves can do some shouts in dwarvish but can't remember if they can be wardens. But I made a new Warden and Captain as High Elf just because the shouting was way less obnoxious. If you have High Elves unlocked and wanted to play Warden I would highly recommend them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ok another silly question: what's the deal with mounts these days.

I'm half recalling something about how if you subbed for a month you got that skill and I know I subbed for a month or two the last time I played this. Would that have only been on my old main, or does that carry through to this new character too?

Basically I've got a nice little stash of LOTRO bux from the last time I played, but I'd prefer to hang onto them for unlocking an expansion down the road or something. On the other hand if I do just need to cough up the 95 to buy the skill, I will.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Ort posted:

I have a burglar who is something like level 70 and I can confirm they are the most underpowered, annoying to level class in the game. They are way better in a party where they can initiate the teamwork abilities that I forget the name of, in solo their main advantage is they can sneak past enemies.

EDIT: my mistake she's level 105 or something

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 12, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
professions - don't bother unless you go all-in on it. it's not really useful when levelling up once you get past level 50 or so

fellowship quests - a lot of the epic quests that were gated by fellowship quests now have a "conviction" mechanic where you get a buff during the quest that makes it trivial to run solo. If it doesn't have this (it will be noted in the quest dialog) don't bother unless you're max level or on a legendary server as groups on regular servers only do the latest/greatest usually. SSG has done a pretty good job of going back through all the epic quests and making sure they can be soloable, but group dungeons are always going to be group dungeons.

mounts - i recommend getting the account-wide package from the store that gives you a mount at level 5 and makes every mount the fastest speed in the game but it's spendy. Failing that you get one at level 20 from the bree horse fields (in-game currency if you're VIP, have to pay a minor bit of LPs otherwise) Having a sub in the far distant past doesn't help in this, it would need to be current.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Lum_ posted:

mounts - i recommend getting the account-wide package from the store that gives you a mount at level 5 and makes every mount the fastest speed in the game but it's spendy.

Which package is this?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

You can just buy a code for the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack and get both the account-wide riding skill and some more QoL stuff for $7-9 instead of buying ~$30 worth of LotrO bucks to get the riding skill from the in-game store.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Comrade Koba posted:

You can just buy a code for the Samwise Gamgee Starter Pack and get both the account-wide riding skill and some more QoL stuff for $7-9 instead of buying ~$30 worth of LotrO bucks to get the riding skill from the in-game store.

starter pack: gets you basic riding skill, 62% speed mount and currency cap lifter for $10
apprentice riding pack: apprentice riding skill (all mounts are 68% speed) (1995 LP) ~ $20
journeyman riding pack: journeyman riding skill (all mounts are 78% speed (2995 LP) ~ $30

So yeah, the starter pack is definitely the better deal since it's account wide (thought it was character only), you won't notice much difference between 62% and 78% speed in-game.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Posting this link for the people who have just come back to the game.

https://www.lotro.com/en/getready?fbclid=IwAR0X0iEPE6_gD-dC3znlRbFacVIAyDR1-gN76IlVPsBj-22FyJjPGWRZlDw

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

fenix down posted:

I leveled a burg to 54 back in the spring, I think I died once from fall damage. The game is easy no matter what you pick, and it's going to be a long, long time before you hit group content, so pick a class you enjoy.

I started with the recent giveaways and my experience leveling a red Burglar has matched this. I had to hit all my buttons to take down elite and elite master quest npcs early on but over time they became faceroll. I couldn't handle group instances on level but could go back and clear them within 5-10 levels. Currently in Moria and the boost from getting a legendary weapon has made things even easier.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Soooooo I'm looking at all of these various packs to get the horse unlock and random other crap and then I'm looking at all the extra skills and feats and whatever slots I need to just buy with LOTRObux as my character levels and then I'm looking at what stays unlocked after a month of premium.

Right now my read is that I'm probably best served just throwing down for a month of premium, doing the lvl20 quest to get a horse, and then using LOTRObux (probably the 500 from that month of premium) to buy the account-wide gold cap removal.

Make a bunch of random alts in case I ever decide to level a burglar or something in another 5 years, log them in once while I've got premium enabled to get the unlocks that stay after it expires, and call it good.

That sound reasonable? Am I missing anything obvious here?

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
A month sub unlocks the gold limit, and a few other features.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lotro/comments/gzgbva/one_month_vip_guide/
https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Account_Types

quote:

*500 LP points because you get this once a month *WHILE subbed*
*all trait slots unlocked for all your characters on all servers
*swift travel from all travel NPC’s
*riding skill quest for all your characters at/past level 20
*all 5 inventory bags unlocked
*currency cap of 2g(free player)/5g(premium player) lifted
*crafting guild you keep access to what ever you have advanced to
*VIP icon over your character's head
*if you put items in the shared wardrobe you can still use and dye them **but** not replace them

You also earn a few store points as you play, which is good for some of the smaller purchases.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Hello LOTRO goons.

I was thinking of giving this game a try what with the free giveaways and was wondering if there were any downsides in playing it through Steam instead of its standalone launcher.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OhFunny posted:

Hello LOTRO goons.

I was thinking of giving this game a try what with the free giveaways and was wondering if there were any downsides in playing it through Steam instead of its standalone launcher.

Steam will still kinda open the launcher

I still put it on Steam because I like having my stuff in one spot

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Hello LOTRO goons.

You have to pay for lotrobux through Steam instead of directly, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Trip report: Gundabad's pretty great. Moria part 2, at least so far, and Moria was great so I'm not complaning about getting more of it. The lack of legendary rewards is pretty obvious - they patched in item XP runes so when they eventually patch it in you won't have wasted item XP doing quests beforehand. Difficulty's picked up a bit, but still facerolling monsters 2-3 levels higher than me so not THAT much.

It does make you complete the Durin's Legacy book quest first so if you never did that expect about 4 hours worth of babysitting dwarves before you finally open up NotMoria.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

What level range is the new expansion intended for?

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I just started up a new character and was wondering if there is a way to increase the max camera distance beyond the default? I forgot how beautiful some of these areas area

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Gunda...good?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

gundagud

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Pillow Armadillo posted:

What level range is the new expansion intended for?

Max level, takes you from 130 to 140. If you're not level 130, don't buy it till you are as there's no reason to otherwise.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I picked this back up for a bit and went to turn in some completed quests in an interior location, only to find that it’s bugged and won’t let me through the door! I found a thread on the forums with a bunch of other people complaining about it, so hopefully it gets fixed reasonably soon. Those quests are just sitting there taunting me now…

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I picked this up again on the Get Ready promotion along with a month's VIP subscription to pay for the discounted expansion packs. I was looking to play a story-driven multiplayer game while I wait for FFXIV: Endwalker and, having last played in about 2008, I was surprised to see how well it's doing after over a decade.

Aside from the usual predatory F2P stuff (the worst being lootboxes and keys) and occasional lag (I think the servers are spec'd for a much lower number of players), it's been a blast so far. I'm levelling a blue line hobbit hunter explorer, crafting my own armour whilst begging in world chat for weapons and tools. The hunter is a point and click weapon of mass NPC destruction and the blue line traits mean you can run around really fast while doing so. I'd recommend this class to anyone wanting to breeze through questing. The world design is great with interesting snippets of lore contained in the typical MMO "collect x bear asses" quest format, although I haven't figured out how to use the instance finder yet so I have no idea if the group content is any good!

The game also looks pretty good aside from some very dated NPC models. I genuinely think the water effects are better than FFXIV's!

I am also having a lot of fun. I got warden up to 22 and it is definitely my kind of class. I love NIN mudras in FFXIV and warden is basically that x1000. I have always liked the “grab 10 quests and go slay” style of questing that vanilla WoW/BC used so I’ve been enjoying that, plus the epic quest line has been somewhat ok so far to pay attention to. I had a blast doing some of the elite barrow areas solo except when I got plastered by a mob with a rainbow border around its name.

My only complaint really is that leveling feels a bit slow, they could really crank up the xp from the main story to help newer players get through the game just a clip faster. I don’t want to blaze through it but it does feel like I’m doing way too many quests per level.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

piano chimp posted:

Aside from the usual predatory F2P stuff (the worst being lootboxes and keys) and occasional lag (I think the servers are spec'd for a much lower number of players)

You can filter lootboxes as they come in to your loot window. There is no reason to ever open a lootbox unless you want cosmetic gear; you'll get more than enough "free" potions and such from the "hobbit presents" you get every day for logging in. I filter lootboxes on every character just so they don't clog up my inventory. The lag is partially because an expansion just came out this week but the servers have been straining for a while.

Literally no one uses the instance finder. People who put together groups do so in world chat; usually only for whatever the latest instance that just came out that the hive mind decided is the optimal one to run for loot. Very very occasionally you'll see someone put together a group for an instance that's not max level but it's very rare.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 15, 2021

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ort posted:

My only complaint really is that leveling feels a bit slow, they could really crank up the xp from the main story to help newer players get through the game just a clip faster. I don’t want to blaze through it but it does feel like I’m doing way too many quests per level.

Once you get to level 50 and into Moria this won't be a problem ever again. You will outlevel areas before you finish them. The store even sells an item that turns off XP so you can finish a zone without being stupendously overlevelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One thing I hate is the utterly terrible active click areas for quests, but funding out that you can use "del" to target them and "u" to perform the action (post a sign, etc) has improved my life immeasurably.