Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

My copy arrived today actually. Completely legit, it just came a day early (Aus timezone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The trouble with 4A’s late game bosses is that if you’re playing on War, unless you’re unusually patient or unusually prescient at picking demon fusions, you’re going to be broke for the whole drat game. This means that your demons are likely to be pretty ad-hoc even in later boss fights. That was my experience, anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Mysticblade posted:

My copy arrived today actually. Completely legit, it just came a day early (Aus timezone).

Same, I did nothing wrong.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Aerox posted:

I was cruising along pretty well but remember absolutely slamming my face into Beelzebub in one of the final mandatory quests in IV on the Neutral path. Hardest fight in the game, at least for my party.

Same for me. I trounced the bosses before and after with relative ease by comparison. Though you also get the quest way earlier than you have any hope of completing it.

KonvexKonkav posted:

If any of you already playing pirated this game, let me just say that I hate and envy you.
:hmmyes: :same:

E: Despite the delay email and no shipping notification yet, Amazon still claims the game will be here by 10pm/22:00 Friday. I do not believe you and wish you to stop toying with me, website.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 11, 2021

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I've been playing a couple days. It's very fun. The combat is as good as it has been. It's a beautiful looking game and the exploration mechanics are a fun diversion. It really is a refinement over exploration/dungeon crawling in past entries. I think fans of past SMTs are really going to enjoy themselves!

That said, the story, pacing and plot beats make Nocturne seem like a masterpiece by comparison. I haven't finished it, but I think it might be bad or at just my least favorite from a story perspective. But maybe it'll all turn around...

EDIT: Also the soundtrack has fewer bangers compared to what might be typical

George Sex - REAL fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Nov 11, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Dorkopotamis posted:

That said, the story, pacing and plot beats make Nocturne seem like a masterpiece by comparison.

nocturnes story pacing and plot beats are a masterpiece

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am super salty I will have V in hand tomorrow, but won't be able to play until Monday. drat twelve hour shifts.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I am super salty I will have V in hand tomorrow, but won't be able to play until Monday. drat twelve hour shifts.

If it helps while I play I'll be thinking of you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

nrook posted:

The trouble with 4A’s late game bosses is that if you’re playing on War, unless you’re unusually patient or unusually prescient at picking demon fusions, you’re going to be broke for the whole drat game. This means that your demons are likely to be pretty ad-hoc even in later boss fights. That was my experience, anyway.

Atlus had it real bad during those years with their grinding DLC. You effectively get no money in 4A if you're actively fusing demons.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I might actually pirate the game while waiting for my goddamn copy to ship.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Amazon just said “sike! Getting yours by the end of the day today!”

Now it’s gonna taunt me for being unfaithful and getting a digital copy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097PJX3Z9/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_P1QAEHKKVBEC1SK2AMNP

Amazon has steelbooks. Get 'em.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's out in Aus and presumably places that share our timezone.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I know the game's not technically out yet, but is there any consensus on what build to focus on for the MC? I went all magic with Flynn and he just destroyed anything and everything, but I kinda want to go physical with Nahobino unless it's universally agreed to be a garbage build. I also went physical in SMT3 and that was pretty touch and go until I finally got Pierce.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I know the game's not technically out yet, but is there any consensus on what build to focus on for the MC? I went all magic with Flynn and he just destroyed anything and everything, but I kinda want to go physical with Nahobino unless it's universally agreed to be a garbage build. I also went physical in SMT3 and that was pretty touch and go until I finally got Pierce.

The protagonist has some unique skills for most builds but the best is Strength. Strength doesn't just limit to phys damage.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

nahobino can punch so hard that you take almighty damage instead

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Gyoru posted:

nahobino can punch so hard that you take almighty damage instead

We call that putting the fear of god in somebody.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

First boss down. I strongly recommend playing this game on Hard difficulty, boss fights become a really interesting puzzle.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fadam posted:

First boss down. I strongly recommend playing this game on Hard difficulty, boss fights become a really interesting puzzle.

mmmmmm nope haven't played a mainline SMT since IV came out. Not fallin' for that poo poo.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

enojy posted:

mmmmmm nope haven't played a mainline SMT since IV came out. Not fallin' for that poo poo.

Not falling for what, a fun and challenging experience? I guess if you play on Easy you should be able to sneak your Switch into the theater with you to auto battle while you watch Free Guy.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 11, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm going to play on normal because I'm a normal person

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

enojy posted:

lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

copped

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
fake fans buy physical real heads got the preload ready to go

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Stux posted:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Stux posted:

nah

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Amazon says my copy is arriving today by 10pm, but in the past that has meant "actually coming the next day." So I'll just be pleasantly surprised if it arrives today.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Stux posted:

real fans are already playing the game but you wouldnt know that

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

actually criminals are doing that

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually criminals are doing that

I think they'd prefer to be thought of as going Chaos Route.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

True Chaos route is telling folks they can play whichever games in the franchise they want on whatever difficulty they find most suitable to their enjoyment

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

World of Strength is not compatible with easy mode

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

those people are the worst of all, anti-fans and detractors and frankly they should be arrestyed.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Stux posted:

those people are the worst of all, anti-fans and detractors and frankly they should be arrestyed.

:hmmyes: i say while furiously pressing the start button on my preload copy

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm going to play on normal because I'm a normal person

I'm going to play on hard because I'm a hard person

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Never using that retailer again.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

fadam posted:

Not falling for what, a fun and challenging experience? I guess if you play on Easy you should be able to sneak your Switch into the theater with you to auto battle while you watch Free Guy.

It's a Me problem. I've hit whatever arbitrary number of years in the workforce, and no longer begin most new video games on Hard by default. A Shin Megami Tensei game, absolutely not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

enojy posted:

It's a Me problem. I've hit whatever arbitrary number of years in the workforce, and no longer begin most new video games on Hard by default. A Shin Megami Tensei game, absolutely not.

Sorry to hear that playboy

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Mine got delayed til next week :(

Looks great, excited about that soundtrack