Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Is there something wrong with me? I really dislike espresso style coffee and anything made with it (americanos and so on) but I love basic filter coffee.

I don’t have a machine at home right now so I have to drink instant coffee like a pleb.

I never used to drink much coffee and stick with tea, but now I need a couple of coffees first thing to get my brain working before switching over to tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Everyone's different, it all averages out. I like coffee, tea, beer, liquor, and if I can get it without sulfites, wine. The trick is making sure the afternoon is for drinking plain water to stay hydrated. Hell no to another kidney stone experience.

In car content I've been lax in taking off the high performance summers. I blame a daycare cold. The advantage is that I put a mini split in the garage so it's like pre warming the tires, right? Right??

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

There's nothing wrong with you I'm the same way. Y'all with your fancy coffee machines, I just buy grounds at the store and put it through a 20 year old pot that's just now broken in.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

You Am I posted:

You do when you work IT

True.dat

I can't drink fancy coffee though, I've been poisoned by decades of terrible truck stop and break room coffee.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I work in an IT adjacent area and I'm more energy drink focused but that's mainly due to coffee smelling nicer than it tastes to me.

Quit those cold turkey after one of my coworkers gave himself kidney stones the second time due to subsisting solely on Monster during the work week.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mustache Ride posted:

There's nothing wrong with you I'm the same way. Y'all with your fancy coffee machines, I just buy grounds at the store and put it through a 20 year old pot that's just now broken in.

Try Red Diamond. It's cheap ($11.99 for a 34.5 oz can) and tastes great in a drip machine. If you can't find it in a store, buy it direct from the company.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I work in an IT adjacent area and I'm more energy drink focused but that's mainly due to coffee smelling nicer than it tastes to me.

In my first twelve months of working in IT I went from "coffee smells nice but I need cream and lots of sugar to drink it" to "just put the carafe on my desk and I'll drink it out of that".

When a coworker brought in an espresso machine it totally hosed me up. And gave me palpitations for a bit -- it's impressive how much coffee you can fit in a single mug that way. :sludgepal:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

User Error posted:

I've resisted going down the rabbit hole any farther than my cheapo burr grinder and french press.

honestly going beyond this is not worthwhile imo

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ooo coffee chat
I was never into coffee until a few years ago when we got this vintage La Cimbali for free off some dude on Craigslist.

It needed a super cleaning and had to replace the heating element. It's actually down right now needing another heating element replacement.
With it being non operative I've been using a Estro Vapore we got at a thrift store.

Sometimes they are branded as a Starbucks machine. It's very bare bones but does a decent job with a bottomless portafilter.

The grinder is a baritza virtuoso that somebody else was giving away on Craigslist.

We have an awesome local roaster that buys directly from the farmers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

RIP Paul Walker posted:

It's the overall stroke length to physical feedback, I think. I've played with o-rings (1 and 2 layers) and different keycaps and a couple different boards with different switches.

re: Coffee, did you know that the lighter roasts have more caffeine? I love me a light roast, french pressed, black and no sugar.

Now, tell me about your audio gear. That's what I'm really here for. I'll show you mine if you show me yours...

drat I'm bored today, work is kinda sucking.

I did and I do know that lighter roasts have more caffeine. It's a misconception also that espresso has more caffeine than coffee.

Audio gear is uh... a mix of mid-fi and pro audio stuff with some random vintage stuff leftover.
I've pared it down pretty well though and most of the interesting stuff is long gone.
I don't really have any pics handy but off the top of my head:

The loft:
I also have like 6 Icepower 50ASX2SE which I've used for various things. Right now they're upstairs in the loft powering a pair of Beovox s80.2 and s120 hooked up to a miniDSP HD with a Chromecast Audio and a Tascam XS-8 mixer plus pair of SL-1200 turntables.

The living room:
Emotiva UMC-200 + XPA-200 powering a pair of Vandersteen 2ce Signature ii's for the TV/Chromecast.

Desktop #1:
XDA-2 and a UMC-200. These replaced a LOT of other gear I had because they were cheap and capable and versatile.
Tascam Model 12 mixer
Speakers come and go, I mostly use headphones here.

Desktop #2:
Teac UD501 + Teac AX501 + a pair of KEF LS50's

Office desk:
Focusrite 4i4 + QSC SPA-2 60 + Realistic (Optomus Pro) Minimus 7's, ported with a custom crossover

Garage:
Technics SB-x10
Spica TC-50
Realistic Minimus 12's
It's a workbench so amps come and go.

Other poo poo:
random smattering of small form factor professional amps like Extron 1xxx and 2xxx amps, and a QSC SPA2.
a drawer full of chip amps and chi-fi stuff I consider disposable along with some other small form factor crap like old Memorex / Realistic stuff.
There's some cheap black Pioneer something or other I can't even remember the model of that's not even worth mentioning but I am anyway.
Acurus DIA 100 - This thing loving owns.
Vandersteen 2ce - currently the grill cloth is off for replacement and I'm debating whether or not I want to mod them. I'm leaning towards not.
A whole bin full of Realistic Minimus 7's and 11's
I have a bunch of DJ gear and some instruments but that kinda takes the convo off the rails a bit so I won't go into it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I only get fancy enough to grind my own beans, which I generally buy 2# at a time from Sam's Club. Occasionally I'll get a small bag of beans from a local roaster and drink that for a week, but then it's back to the bulk coffee beans. Run it through a Ninja drip machine on work days, or a french press on my days off. 20oz on a normal day, 40oz if I'm expecting the day to be a long one.

But yeah, the afternoon is all water, or maybe some Powerade powder and water mixed at about half the recommended strength. poo poo is way too sweet at regular strength.

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
My efforts to train raccoons to perform electroswing on demand have failed so my audio gear is an Anker soundcore.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I did and I do know that lighter roasts have more caffeine. It's a misconception also that espresso has more caffeine than coffee.

Audio gear is uh... a mix of mid-fi and pro audio stuff with some random vintage stuff leftover.
I've pared it down pretty well though and most of the interesting stuff is long gone.
I don't really have any pics handy but off the top of my head:

The loft:
I also have like 6 Icepower 50ASX2SE which I've used for various things. Right now they're upstairs in the loft powering a pair of Beovox s80.2 and s120 hooked up to a miniDSP HD with a Chromecast Audio and a Tascam XS-8 mixer plus pair of SL-1200 turntables.

The living room:
Emotiva UMC-200 + XPA-200 powering a pair of Vandersteen 2ce Signature ii's for the TV/Chromecast.

Desktop #1:
XDA-2 and a UMC-200. These replaced a LOT of other gear I had because they were cheap and capable and versatile.
Tascam Model 12 mixer
Speakers come and go, I mostly use headphones here.

Desktop #2:
Teac UD501 + Teac AX501 + a pair of KEF LS50's

Office desk:
Focusrite 4i4 + QSC SPA-2 60 + Realistic (Optomus Pro) Minimus 7's, ported with a custom crossover

Garage:
Technics SB-x10
Spica TC-50
Realistic Minimus 12's
It's a workbench so amps come and go.

Other poo poo:
random smattering of small form factor professional amps like Extron 1xxx and 2xxx amps, and a QSC SPA2.
a drawer full of chip amps and chi-fi stuff I consider disposable along with some other small form factor crap like old Memorex / Realistic stuff.
There's some cheap black Pioneer something or other I can't even remember the model of that's not even worth mentioning but I am anyway.
Acurus DIA 100 - This thing loving owns.
Vandersteen 2ce - currently the grill cloth is off for replacement and I'm debating whether or not I want to mod them. I'm leaning towards not.
A whole bin full of Realistic Minimus 7's and 11's
I have a bunch of DJ gear and some instruments but that kinda takes the convo off the rails a bit so I won't go into it.

i gotta thank you again for turning me onto the vandys. i finally replaced the acoustic coupler on mine that was dragging the voice coil, and they're back to sounding great. i just need to make some stands so i dont have to majorly slouch on the couch to get into the tweeter sweet spot

i cant hang with you guys, wrt audio gear or keebs, but this is what i got:

home theater: vandersteen 2ci through a sansui 9090db, monoprice monolith 10" thx sub

computer: yamaha natural sound bookends (NS-A526) through a yamaha CA-600 amp, jbl 550p sub

been thinking about doing something better for the latter setup, since my HT sounds so much better now. not sure what a good bang for buck is these days. the monolith bookends with the ribbon tweeter look pretty neat, but that might be too whiz-bang for me lol

gotta re-cap the yammy too, its got some nasty 60Hz going on. so for now i have some garbage razer headphones that i got out of the trash and fixed. they sure sound like it, too :barf:

on the clack front, got an aekii for work, and a northgate omnikey 101 for pleasure. go team alps

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 10, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I recently started drinking coffee. I always had a caffeine sensitivity, but it appears in the last few years to have disappeared? Having a small cup in the morning seems to help me focus and move through tasks quicker. Not that I need to do any more work...
I found James Hoffman a few weeks back on YouTube and started watching some of his videos. I honestly have no idea what I like or what I'm doing.
We just have a Keurig and genetic Green Mountain coffee.
I might grab a V60 and a French Press. Maybe a decent grinder? I hear good things about Sisters Coffee Co which is local to my parents.
Either I'll have a heart attack or find some something I like. Wish me luck.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Until my wife, then girlfriend, moved in I never drank coffee unless I was on a road trip and needed something to keep me going another couple hours. Then she moved in and made her coffee every morning I started to sip it and that turned into getting a bigger coffee maker and my needing coffee. Did the nespresso mini for a while but that got to unhealthy :sludgepal: levels as well as spiking my coffee with a shot or two. Now I limit to two cups in the morning before work and if work/life demands it another cup around noon. Can't do espresso anymore after the April gut surgery, just get pain and cramps.

Got the Fiat listed for sale on marketplace, first question I get is if it has air conditioning :fuckoff:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

the spyder posted:

I recently started drinking coffee. I always had a caffeine sensitivity, but it appears in the last few years to have disappeared? Having a small cup in the morning seems to help me focus and move through tasks quicker. Not that I need to do any more work...
I found James Hoffman a few weeks back on YouTube and started watching some of his videos. I honestly have no idea what I like or what I'm doing.
We just have a Keurig and genetic Green Mountain coffee.
I might grab a V60 and a French Press. Maybe a decent grinder? I hear good things about Sisters Coffee Co which is local to my parents.
Either I'll have a heart attack or find some something I like. Wish me luck.

Yeah, start out with one of those, and get your local nice cafe to grind you some beans for it - no need to get a grinder at this point really, they're silly expensive until you really know what you like.

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 10, 2021

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
My wife was diligently backing out of the driveway when her Rav4 was attacked by the mailbox. I really have no idea what something like this would cost to repair. Our insurance deductible is $500. Do I get an estimate from a body shop first? I figure it's not worth of risk of having our rates jacked if the repair bill isn't much higher than the deductible.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Mustache Ride posted:

I drink pour over folders coffee every day and have done so for more than 2 years now.

I am powerless over coffee and my shits are unmanageable.

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 10, 2021

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

User Error posted:

My wife was diligently backing out of the driveway when her Rav4 was attacked by the mailbox. I really have no idea what something like this would cost to repair. Our insurance deductible is $500. Do I get an estimate from a body shop first? I figure it's not worth of risk of having our rates jacked if the repair bill isn't much higher than the deductible.

Find a local, recommended shop and take it in for a quote. Be specific that it's out of pocket.
In my mind, 2 hour tear down window trim, door trim, and tail light, 2-3 hour body (pull, fill, finish, prep for blend), 4 hour paint. +supplies/shop fees/disposal.
$1200-1500 at the high end?

I estimate my local paint out of his garage buddy would charge $600-800 and he does good work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'd go to one of those micro repair outfits that specialize in small repairs.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKjSCTxke8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsy5sJy5_34

So someone introduced me to Bloodywood and it 100% goes hard. Indian metal absolutely slaps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elmnt80 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKjSCTxke8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsy5sJy5_34

So someone introduced me to Bloodywood and it 100% goes hard. Indian metal absolutely slaps.

Bloodywood absoluty *rips* so goddamn hard.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For those of y'all that don't go to GBS, apparently Lowtax kicked the bucket recently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

lol that was fast

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

wesleywillis posted:

For those of y'all that don't go to GBS, apparently Lowtax kicked the bucket recently.

Came back to the forums because I heard the news on Twitter.

Anyway, hope all of you are doing well. I’m still working in a dealership but I haven’t done much of anything car-related lately, because my job now has me very far removed from the actual car sales process. We took in a few cool trades like an Evo X and an E60 M5, but cars are selling almost as soon as they hit our inventory so I didn’t get a chance to grab the keys and take them around the block.

All of the fun cars that I want have risen to a price that I have deemed unreasonable so I took my money and got a horse instead.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have bad news re. horse $$.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
drat, that GBS thread is exploding.

Also I got banned from Facebook for a week for goatse'ing Lowtax when the poo poo came out about him being a wifebeater. Thats my Lowtax story thanks for listening.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

wesleywillis posted:

I literally never GBS but :stonk: and also welcome back to the deserters and lurkers from the past. AI welcomes you home.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

goatse guy posted:

Came back to the forums because I heard the news on Twitter.

Anyway, hope all of you are doing well. I’m still working in a dealership but I haven’t done much of anything car-related lately, because my job now has me very far removed from the actual car sales process. We took in a few cool trades like an Evo X and an E60 M5, but cars are selling almost as soon as they hit our inventory so I didn’t get a chance to grab the keys and take them around the block.

All of the fun cars that I want have risen to a price that I have deemed unreasonable so I took my money and got a horse instead.

Good to hear from you man! And that you are doing well

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

shy boy from chess club posted:

:raise:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Wow

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/09/1053847935/congress-cars-drunk-driving-auto

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congress has created a new requirement for automakers: Find a high-tech way to keep drunken people from driving cars.

It's one of the mandates along with a burst of new spending aimed at improving auto safety amid escalating road fatalities in the $1 trillion infrastructure package that President Joe Biden is expected to sign soon.

Under the legislation, monitoring systems to stop intoxicated drivers would roll out in all new vehicles as early as 2026, after the Transportation Department assesses the best form of technology to install in millions of vehicles and automakers are given time to comply.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Thanks! I remember your avatar but not your name. What was your previous forums username?

It would make more sense to me to invest in public transportation, alcohol treatment, and addressing the root causes of alcoholism but sure, let’s put the onus on the manufacturers who are still a long ways away from meeting the goal of 54 mpg average for all cars and light trucks that was supposed to happen by 2025.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Lighten up, Francis

goatse guy posted:

Thanks! I remember your avatar but not your name. What was your previous forums username?

Pipkin, we used to hang on either AIM or IRC all the time a million years ago

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
5 weeks ago i lost my aunt sarah
today i lost my aunt rachel
both of them are on my mothers side and my grandma is absolutely shattered.

feeling really bad.

in ai content i had a go on my brothers tesla and it would be a great car if it wasnt for a few niggles that make it turbo irritating

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

We recently bought a Blink camera system with a Sync2 module to watch for ne’er do well delivery drivers who keep loving up my yard, but I have a question. If I keep the data on local storage, does the system still use Wi-Fi data to transmit etc, or would it just connect the cameras to the module independently?

We live in the middle of nowhere and our high speed data gets capped after a certain point. I’d rather not have a security camera use up all my data.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

big dong wanter posted:

feeling really bad.

in ai content i had a go on my brothers tesla and it would be a great car if it wasnt for a few niggles that make it turbo irritating

I feel for you and your family, that is a lot in a short time.

For the other death news today, I'm conflicted. Lowtax is the only stakeholder that lost money in the first gen dot com economy (not looking to debate that point, saying in general). SA could have been a commercial juggernaut back in the day, but it got ran down into dead gay forums. He made a lot of bad decisions. I feel sorry for his kids.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Pipkin, we used to hang on either AIM or IRC all the time a million years ago

Ahh, I remember you now! I was thinking about those AIM threads in GBS recently because I have now been friends with one person that I met there for almost a decade. It's crazy to think of how many internet friendships I have that are spanning 10+ years. Hope you are doing well! Are you the person who had raccoons as pets?

big dong wanter posted:

feeling really bad.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

meatpimp posted:

SA could have been a commercial juggernaut back in the day, but it got ran down into dead gay forums.

But how many of us would be posting here now if it had gone that way?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
What's the ad blocker (for chrome) of choice these days?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

bolind posted:

What's the ad blocker (for chrome) of choice these days?

Ublock origin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
wow, holy poo poo about lowtax.

and double holy poo poo the the lady ambien post about what happened