Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I have opinions about a game that's probably been talked about to death but is new to me. Rad Dad 2 is loving infuriating in story mode, in camp mode, town mode. By the time you get to the big city there is a fairly hilarious bit in a square where you can run and then forced to walk and then run like 4 or 5 times in a row as you go through. Arthur looks like he's walking in to the wind drunk stuttering and falling.

The story bits though, first your horse stalls out. Get off and walk a couple meters and then you're sucked in to forced motion, then you can walk from side to side a little bit. Then more forced. Then basically do what you're told. You can do it slowly or badly but do it the way the game wants and you'll be rewarded by more cinematic and then you can choose to kill someone or let them go.

An hour of suffering for the chance to get out in the world and do tasks to make money to upgrade your stuff and buy cool cars horses. Then go back to camp where you can't even clean your weapons and yet you talk to someone who has something intimate to share with you, sit down next to them and immediately pull out a huge knife and start polishing it menacingly.

How do they spend so much money and get so many basic things wrong? It's like speculating about how they make a 300 million dollar movie by committee and the dialogue is flat and boring, the plot is nonsensical. loving hate R* for this. GTA V single player was amazing compared to this.

this is incomprehensible

are you trying to say it's too slow or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think they're upset about the animations for getting on your horse or something

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'd play Rad Dad 2.

Just renting some sweet ninja movies, getting a pizza, everybody allowed to pick their favourite junk food.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cracker King posted:

BOTW was frustrating. I heard all the stories of ‘go anywhere and explore.’

So I did - for a few hours- I did so much off the beaten track I ended up in a boss right with some dude that threw lightning. I asked some coworkers that gushed about the game and they asked if I did X or talked to Y or did a Z side quest -

Buddy - I ‘went exploring’ and did shrines. So I didn’t have certain items or whatever.

I was told I played the game wrong.

Lol. Link to the past is better. I might do a randomizer.

Nah you didn't play the game wrong, though BotW is also happy to let you stumble into something you really can't handle yet/don't have the resources to fight successfully, in which case it's probably best to wander in a different direction and see what's over there instead. The game does feature some degree of enemy difficulty scaling based on how much you've completed but it isn't quite so much that you won't run into things you're probably better off running away from early on. Though it is possible to walk right from the tutorial plateau into the final boss fight, you're probably not gonna win if you don't stop to pick up some good weapons on the way.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Random Stranger posted:

Can't be. Nintendo doesn't rely on their customers to make their games good for them.

This is a subtle but biting dig because while botw is a good videogame i had a bad time with it because i need a bit more direction

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is a subtle but biting dig because while botw is a good videogame i had a bad time with it because i need a bit more direction

Yeah that I can definitely see. I've experienced that with open world games before, though in my case I think it ends up happening with the kind of open world game that scatters a ton of icons on your map. I end up getting lost in the weeds and end up not having fun and putting the game down, where I might not have if it was just a linear story game with the same premise and overall gameplay.

Not sure what made BotW work so well for me but I can very much see it not working for everyone.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

BoTW is a good game but you see everything it has to offer pretty quick

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s frankly amazing that Rockstar is a billion dollar successful company and their business strategy is: put out garbage lovely games that sell solely on the residual fumes of people remembering that time they killed a prostitute in middle school. That’s it that’s all they have. The gameplay isn’t good. The mission structure isn’t good. It’s just people snickering that they’re playing a game that says gently caress and disrespects the police and mom doesn’t know.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

It’s frankly amazing that Rockstar is a billion dollar successful company and their business strategy is: put out garbage lovely games that sell solely on the residual fumes of people remembering that time they killed a prostitute in middle school. That’s it that’s all they have. The gameplay isn’t good. The mission structure isn’t good. It’s just people snickering that they’re playing a game that says gently caress and disrespects the police and mom doesn’t know.

I know I've made fun of a few posts about rockstar already, but at the risk of looking like the rockstar defender, lol @ "disrespects the police"

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
so yeah you can go to a strip club and if you physically harrass strippers you get to sleep with them and lindsay lohan is a stupid slut and wouldn't it be cool to drive a forklift

GTA5 was made by idiot children.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I like driving the cars in GTA, its fun to drive all the many vehicles

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I like crouching to watch the horse do plop plops, punching the same horse in the face, getting kicked into the mud by that horse, getting up and saying "Hey folks!" and then "What is this, the idiot convention!"

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
The best GTA was the Saints Row 3 one.

It at least acknowledged how stupid the entire concept was.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im gettin the new Pokemon diamond and nothin you say can change my mind!!!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

hawowanlawow posted:

I know I've made fun of a few posts about rockstar already, but at the risk of looking like the rockstar defender, lol @ "disrespects the police"
I’m saying that’s what the “mom” and middle schooler in this scenario is terrified of. Not my actual opinion of the police. Did you think I also thought it’s some grand transgression to say gently caress?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

grand transgression auto

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

galagazombie posted:

I’m saying that’s what the “mom” and middle schooler in this scenario is terrified of. Not my actual opinion of the police. Did you think I also thought it’s some grand transgression to say gently caress?

I think you're just being dramatic

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gently caress that and gently caress you

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Leyburn posted:

so yeah you can go to a strip club and if you physically harrass strippers you get to sleep with them and lindsay lohan is a stupid slut and wouldn't it be cool to drive a forklift

GTA5 was made by idiot children.

Driving a forklift IS cool though.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Im gettin the new Pokemon diamond and nothin you say can change my mind!!!

IMO Pokémon is the slowest and most boring JRPG ever made. It's like if Persona crawled along at a snails pace!!

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Vandar posted:

Driving a forklift IS cool though.

Shenmue confirmed best open world game

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Excelzior posted:

big smoke : all you had to so was follow the drat train at juuuuuust the right distance from it, not too close and not too far, for my fat rear end to do anything

MrQwerty posted:

lmao I was replaying that on my ps2 the other day and about 15 minutes in I was so loving pissed, idk how 18-year-old mrqwerty put up with that fuckin horseshit

Literally all you have to do is stay on the outside of the opposite tracks. Actually pay attention to the screen and see if smoke is hitting the vagos or if his bullets are hitting the train. Anyone complaining about that mission who isn't an actual teenager is totally incompetent.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

hawowanlawow posted:

I think you're just being dramatic

I dunno man I was in middle school back when gtaIII came out and killing cops was all anybody seemed to talk about for months. It was mind blowing for a certain kind of white suburbanite. You’d think they thought they were getting away with doing drugs.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

The best GTA was the Saints Row 3 one.

It at least acknowledged how stupid the entire concept was.

but saints row 4 was too far for me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gta2 is the only decent gta, the others are trash

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

saints row 4 is garbage for stupid babies. 2 was the best, and not only because of the gentleman of the row mod

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

KeanuReevesGhost posted:

but saints row 4 was too far for me.

if you never made a smile playing Saints Row 4 while a nude muscleman in a gimp mask wearing heels jumping and flying across rooftops to Simply Irresistible happened across your screen, I implore you to replay that rehash with superpowers.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Space Kablooey posted:

saints row 4 is garbage for stupid babies. 2 was the best, and not only because of the gentleman of the row mod

its true, saints row 2 had a funny and hosed up storyline. Like you capture a dude's girlfriend and trick him into smushing her at his own monster truck rally. Its funny stuff. Number 3 is when it started going "whoa man, dubstep gun"

The superpowers in number 4 felt like poo poo, like it was a superpowers mod you downloaded off the internet

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Literally all you have to do is stay on the outside of the opposite tracks. Actually pay attention to the screen and see if smoke is hitting the vagos or if his bullets are hitting the train. Anyone complaining about that mission who isn't an actual teenager is totally incompetent.

yeah upon replaying it it's super easy, so is the rc plane mission if you take 5 seconds to think about your path

in fact all video games are loving easy, what is wrong with you, these are designed for children for christ's sake

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 11, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

its true, saints row 2 had a funny and hosed up storyline. Like you capture a dude's girlfriend and trick him into smushing her at his own monster truck rally. Its funny stuff. Number 3 is when it started going "whoa man, dubstep gun"

The superpowers in number 4 felt like poo poo, like it was a superpowers mod you downloaded off the internet

3 had a DLC where your character gets superpowers and not only it's the exact same superpowers from 4, they had the same cheap feel as 4. it feels like they built the dlc and had the brilliant idea to build a game around it.

then they slapped a 10 year old matrix coat of paint over it just to be even more embarrassing

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 11, 2021

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
why doesn't bungie just charge a subscription fee for destiny 2 instead of whatever they're doing now. i really wanna like the game but the pricing makes that impossible.

still waiting for a class based fps mmorpg

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
In general if anyone starts saying "you can <x>" as a selling point of a game I automatically think they're dumb and the game is bad.

"Lol you can spray poop on a house!"
"You can have sex with a prostitute and kill her and take her money"
"You can kidnap a mob wife and put her in a trunk lol!"
"You can totally dress as a clown and flash your dick at the police!"

Because I'm not six and doing play-pretend with my friends, and I need actual gameplay and mechanics if I'm to be engaged. Saints Row 2 was good because under all the spectacle and juvenile bullshit there were some actually pretty solid gameplay mechanics, 3 and 4 were dogshit because they traded that all in for "stand on the spot and press Y to do a wacky zany You Can thing!" Every GTA game since Vice City has added successively more "Do as you're told and stand on the spot and we'll throw you a nice canned You Can animation as a reward" and so they're all poo poo. Sleeping Dogs was also utter poo poo, every mission being "drive to the place, wait for the incredibly obvious COUNTER ATTACK button a few times, stand on the spot and press Y". Don't even start me on Red Dead, that and everyone involved with it is a loving disaster.

The absolute nadir of this were Mafia 3 and the new Wolfensteins. Terrible, shallow, repetitive games that got a free ride from goons because "YOU CAN SHOOT RACISTS" .

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think they (Bungie) were told you’d make more money by making it free to play online but didn’t really consider why that works. Some games make absurd amounts of money by catering almost exclusively to whales and then having the whales compete against each other like a war in the heavens sort of thing, and also making a good game for the rest of the people subsidized essentially by those whales. Other games make absurd amounts of money by charging everyone a sub. Other games are just fine being free forever, with a handful of micro transactions (GW1, and maybe 2).

But instead, whaling does basically nothing for you (or bungie) and instead they gently caress with the common man with battle passes and poo poo that end up seeming WAY more aggressive and rude than a sub, even if they’re technically cheaper.

I absolutely would love a good subscription MMO that has you do gun things instead of hotbar poo poo.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Skulker posted:

In general if anyone starts saying "you can <x>" as a selling point of a game I automatically think they're dumb and the game is bad.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jokes posted:

But instead, whaling does basically nothing for you (or bungie) and instead they gently caress with the common man with battle passes and poo poo that end up seeming WAY more aggressive and rude than a sub, even if they’re technically cheaper.

I'm assuming Destiny 2 isn't actually responsible for starting this trend, but I saw them do it first so I'm gonna talk about something I DO NOT LIKE in the video games nowadays.

I really DO NOT LIKE how like every PvP mode in every major video game now has to have a extended sequence at the start and end of every match where the camera has to pan over your squad/team/whatever (or worse, cycle every single player solo) while they do dances or emotes or whatever. And that the only reason this really happens is to sell cosmetic bullshit.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remember online passes? That poo poo sucked

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Vandar posted:

Driving a propane forklift IS cool though. Electric kind of sucks.

FTFY

e:Sam Houser was twelve and his brother Dan was ten when they probably watched Scarface together; it's clearly the inspiration for ALL the GTA games.

OTOH, Sam Houser produced Max Payne 3, which is still the best Rockstar Game.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2021

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'll die before I use an electric forklift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I'll die before I use an electric forklift.

lol, i worked in a huge dairy freezer as an order picker which meant electric forklifts were kind of mandatory. My first propane forklift was so powerful it took some getting used to.

e:forklifts in GTA and Shenmue are actually MORE difficult to drive than real forklifts, which has always mildly irritated me.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 11, 2021