Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
There is something uniquely unsatisfying about Legacy's narrative. Not a single hook has ever been brought to a compelling conclusion, and that's when the story has the luxury of having hooks in the first place.

I do think it'd be hard to do worse, even intentionally, because I think most people trying to do something badly would lean into absurdity and incoherency. For Legacy it's just page after page of nothing forever. Nobody would have the patience to do something like this on purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

He did not do the first one, as far as we know. He did do the second one, because that was when Arudak said that names are a big deal for ink witches and that she'd be excited all day. This also prompted Ink Witch to ask Snout to name her, which he then came up with the amazing name of...Ink Witch.
He didn't get back to the Ink Witch about that, though, did he? That's what the question was.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
You know, I thought he did, but looking back, he didn't. She asked him to name her, and then the subject wasn't mentioned for a few pages while they got ready to fly over the world's largest lake river. After they'd been in the air a while and wrote about how impressively big the lake river was, he wrote about how she would always be "The Ink Witch" to him and said "I'll tell her that when we land."

Which makes no sense since she was in the ship with him. He could have just told her there, but for some reason he decided to completely ignore everyone else there for no real reason. Especially since they were on a long flight and he got very bored, so they could like...talk about what he named her? But no.

To be slightly fair (even though Mookie does not deserve it given what he poo poo out), I think it's very reasonable to hold back on bringing up that topic at this moment. It would make Snout even more of an rear end in a top hat who doesn't care about how the others feel to go "Hey I know you're all sad and all but I thought of a name for the Ink Witch!"

Though hell maybe Mookie will read this and remember that and that will be the thing Snout brings up to make her happy since "the choosing of a name is a joyous occasion" or whatever, and instead of her saying "Uh, can you not read the loving room? I'm not going to celebrate when they're really hurting right now" it will instead magically make everyone happy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Twelve by Pies posted:

You know, I thought he did, but looking back, he didn't.
Is it just me, or is the plot so bad people keep mentally re-arranging things so it's slightly more sensible? :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Zereth posted:

Is it just me, or is the plot so bad people keep mentally re-arranging things so it's slightly more sensible? :allears:

It's a story written by someone who's mental imaging has no sense of object permanence.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

somebody please tell me the plot of the legacy of dominic deegan

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Dominic Deegan had some kind of legacy. Perhaps he broke magic, perhaps his students did. Initially this seemed important, but nobody cares about that anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mx. posted:

Snout is a Good Boy.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mx. posted:

Snout wants to find out what Dominic Deegan did that changed magic, because he saw his name in a book once. Arudak thinks it will help him bring back his dead wife but he's sad about it at the moment. Ink Witch is in it because of some dick-waving contest in her coven (Redactor, the evil Ink Witch, is evil or something). Kaianda is. The current "arc" is dealing with Arudak being sad and Kaianda being.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
I don't really get why the 'Your girl loved someone else' thing is loving him up so much.

There was a picture of them together in his house, so presumably they had an actual relationship at some point. If she was with someone before him, surely he would have known about it. If they broke up and she married someone else, he would have known about that too. Was she cheating on him (because if that's the implication, I didn't pick up on it)? Why did the seaweed orc's reveal even matter?

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
I'm not really sure why the Ink Witch is sad, since I don't remember the shaman saying anything to her.

Emrikol fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 11, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Mx. posted:

we are still at the part of the story where we are ostensibly just introducing the main characters and finding out their motivations, there isn't a main plot yet

this has taken over 2 years

I'm not joking, there is no established villain yet. There is has been no real call to action, nothing has happened other than travelling a bit and going to a few libraries. To put it in RPG game terms (which is all Mookie knows) we are still just gathering the party

Moola fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
basically imagine if the lord of the rings took 2 years to get out of the Shire, and even then more happened in the Shire than has happened so far in legacy

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Emrikol posted:

I'm not really sure why the Ink Witch is sad, since I don't remember the shaman saying anything to her.
Because unlike Snout, she has empathy for her companions.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Moola posted:

basically imagine if the lord of the rings took 2 years to get out of the Shire, and even then more happened in the Shire than has happened so far in legacy

even the extended edition was in rivendell after 2 hours

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

It's still amazing that after nearly two and a half years this story still has no stakes, only one of the characters has any motivation that goes deeper than curiosity and the closest thing to an antagonist appeared for like two strips and accomplished nothing but erasing some dorks journal.

Speaking of which, I still laugh at the fact that they literally just went home and left Snout laying on the street.
I can't remember did they ever explain why they left him?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Of course not, that would have involved effort.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Pulsarcat posted:

It's still amazing that after nearly two and a half years this story still has no stakes, only one of the characters has any motivation that goes deeper than curiosity and the closest thing to an antagonist appeared for like two strips and accomplished nothing but erasing some dorks journal.

Speaking of which, I still laugh at the fact that they literally just went home and left Snout laying on the street.
I can't remember did they ever explain why they left him?

Clearly, Redactor and ...Other Guy... thought that either Ink Witch or Arudak was the protagonist, and Snout was just some random companion. Unfortunately, only having appeared in a few strips previously, Redactor and Other Guy didn't have enough story presence to survive being removed from Snout for long, and they ceased to exist a chapter later, freeing Ink Witch and Arudak.

Once free, Ink Witch and Arudak re-contacted Snout through dreams and convinced him that Arudak had a house they could reunite at, and then arranged to get Snout there.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
It's very funny that it's still not been explained why Arudak and Ink Witch abandoned Snout after he got punched.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

GreenMetalSun posted:

I don't really get why the 'Your girl loved someone else' thing is loving him up so much.

There was a picture of them together in his house, so presumably they had an actual relationship at some point. If she was with someone before him, surely he would have known about it. If they broke up and she married someone else, he would have known about that too. Was she cheating on him (because if that's the implication, I didn't pick up on it)? Why did the seaweed orc's reveal even matter?

Mookie has extremely bad ideas about relationships. He did an entire story arc in DD where a side character finds out his girlfriend had cheated on him, and he becomes so utterly overwhelmed with manpain that he kills an illusion that he thought was her. The rest of the cast treats him fairly sympathetically.

Given that, I wouldn't be surprised if he also believed that "my ex-girlfriend touched another guy's dick" is something to get sad about.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

GreenMetalSun posted:

Was she cheating on him (because if that's the implication, I didn't pick up on it)? Why did the seaweed orc's reveal even matter?

We don't know. Honestly, at this point, the best theory is that much like her telling Snout "Your friends are holding you back," this is likely to be a test of resolve for Arudak to see if he loves her enough to resurrect her even if she doesn't love him back. Seaweed orc could be flat out lying (like she did to Snout), or she could be using weasel words to purposely be misleading (it turns out that the other one that she loved was her pet/family member! Or she loved someone else before she met him!). The way seaweed orc phrased it definitely is supposed to make it seem like Arudak's girlfriend cheated on him, but we have no confirmation if that's the truth.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

We don't know. Honestly, at this point, the best theory is that much like her telling Snout "Your friends are holding you back," this is likely to be a test of resolve for Arudak to see if he loves her enough to resurrect her even if she doesn't love him back. Seaweed orc could be flat out lying (like she did to Snout), or she could be using weasel words to purposely be misleading (it turns out that the other one that she loved was her pet/family member! Or she loved someone else before she met him!). The way seaweed orc phrased it definitely is supposed to make it seem like Arudak's girlfriend cheated on him, but we have no confirmation if that's the truth.

When has Mookie ever shown this level of nuance in his writing, though?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

You're right, he hasn't, but I don't want to just assert things as true even if they probably are. That said, I do think that seaweed orc's statement is a test to see if Arudak will still resurrect his girlfriend, regardless of whether the statement is true or false.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I am pretty sure "they're holding you back" was at least meant to be a test, since when he went "no, i will stay with them" she reacted positively. Which is circumstantial evidence that what she said to Arduak, and may have said things to others (but we haven't confirmed that :shepface:) is also a test rather than sincere, but you're right, we don't know. And there's a nonzero chance we just never learn why the other two are sad because Mookie forgets about that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Zereth posted:

I am pretty sure "they're holding you back" was at least meant to be a test, since when he went "no, i will stay with them" she reacted positively. Which is circumstantial evidence that what she said to Arduak, and may have said things to others (but we haven't confirmed that :shepface:) is also a test rather than sincere, but you're right, we don't know. And there's a nonzero chance we just never learn why the other two are sad because Mookie forgets about that.

You think that mookie will forget that she wants to shag him? Because I'm willing to bet that this will be something that he remembers with perfect clarity.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The idea they're holding him back is based on the absurd notion he'd actually get anywhere without them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Breetai posted:

You think that mookie will forget that she wants to shag him? Because I'm willing to bet that this will be something that he remembers with perfect clarity.

Oh that, no. What Ink Witch (newly renamed Ink Witch, as soon as Snout remembers to tell her that) and Whatshername heard from the lady wearing nothing but vines? Eh, I'd say around a 2 in 3 chance.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

The problem with any attempt to impose a narrative on legacy is that the narrative is fluid. Arudak was clearly some sort of villain during his initial introduction, as was the ship that forcibly stole the ink witch and blew up Snout's house. But because Mookie doesn't plan anything more than vague details in advance, he gets sidetracked, or he begins to view characters more sympathetically, or he changes ideas midstream. Kaianda being in the comic at all seems literally to have been the result of Mookie taking a cabin vacation to get away from pandemic stess.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ink Witch is literally sad because Arudak is sad. This loving comic.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

b r u h
r
u
h

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
We made it folks, mission accomplished. A page so lazy that it’s 80% text, 100% blunt exposition and as a bonus completely abandons the idea of following Snout’s perspective, because having Snout interact with his friends to learn why they’re hurting would’ve been too hard to draw. Its beautiful. I’d kiss this page on the forehead before smothering it in its sleep.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Holy poo poo Arudak, you don't even know what the story with Kazya was. Just because she fell in love with someone else doesn't even mean she was unfaithful!

Mookie is like a loving teenager when it comes to love. There's the one true love, people always have to be faithful forever, there's never any complications.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

TheHan posted:

We made it folks, mission accomplished. A page so lazy that it’s 80% text, 100% blunt exposition and as a bonus completely abandons the idea of following Snout’s perspective, because having Snout interact with his friends to learn why they’re hurting would’ve been too hard to draw. Its beautiful. I’d kiss this page on the forehead before smothering it in its sleep.

I would like to believe that this is what they wrote in Snout's diary, which gives us the amazing scene of Snout insisting each of them writes down their deepest emotional torments (and Ink Witch the Ink Witch's feelings I guess) where the others can see it to satisfy Snout's curiosity. While they're all sad and staring out to sea.

Also Kaianda doesn't even have the memories of whoever she's a clone of, and there's no evidence of her being a physical copy of anyone, so the specific way it's worded is weird to me. The author has failed to see things from the character's internal perspective entirely, which is not a surprise.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Joe Slowboat posted:

Also Kaianda doesn't even have the memories of whoever she's a clone of, and there's no evidence of her being a physical copy of anyone, so the specific way it's worded is weird to me. The author has failed to see things from the character's internal perspective entirely, which is not a surprise.

That's the thing, we don't even understand what Kaianda's experience of her own existence is right now. She was born fully formed without memories. What does that make her feel like? What are her values, desires, instincts?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Ink Witch is literally sad because Arudak is sad. This loving comic.
A comic with no dialogue.

Assuming Mookie hasn't abandoned/forgotten the nominal central gimmick of this comic (which at this point, even odds, really) the only way these totally not speech balloons could exist is if the three of them wrote in Snout's diary one by one, offscreen. That's so bizarre and unlikely that I assume this is just provided for the benefit of the audience and is not actually a page in Snout's diary until the comic tells me otherwise. After 2 years of this being adhered to, it's a real trip to see it tossed aside so casually.

You know what it reminds me of? Another terrible comic, "Garfield." In 1997, for April Fool's, Davies and a bunch of the other relics in the United Press Syndicate stable decided they'd swap comics as a joke. The guy who wrote "Blondie" guested here but ignored one of the central rules about the Garfield universe which is that Jon, lacking telepathic powers in the main timeline, cannot read Garfield's thought balloons. Seeing him respond directly to Garfield through dialogue and the two of them having a conversation normally after 20 years of this rule being followed in the original is incredibly strange, and that's exactly how I feel reading this strip:

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/garfield/images/4/4b/1997-04-01.gif/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20180816052828 (timg tags don't work) But there is no guest artist here, only Mookie.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Joe Slowboat posted:

I would like to believe that this is what they wrote in Snout's diary, which gives us the amazing scene of Snout insisting each of them writes down their deepest emotional torments (and Ink Witch the Ink Witch's feelings I guess) where the others can see it to satisfy Snout's curiosity.

I will take this over step farther and believe that not only did snout make them write their emotional traumas, he made them draw their own sad profile pictures too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
"Ah poo poo I didn't explain like half of what's been happening for the last few months, uhh here we go"

This is begging for a fourth panel where Snout's thinking that he has to go to the bathroom or something

EDIT: Also this comes to mind for some reason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Omu_bePQ4Lc

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 12, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Joe Slowboat posted:

I would like to believe that this is what they wrote in Snout's diary, which gives us the amazing scene of Snout insisting each of them writes down their deepest emotional torments (and Ink Witch the Ink Witch's feelings I guess) where the others can see it to satisfy Snout's curiosity. While they're all sad and staring out to sea.

If someone asks Mookie on Twitter how we're getting this insight then I'm sure this is the answer he'd use.

And I love how lazy the Ink Witch is as a character. She gets no name and all her backstory consists of reactionary infodumps for Mookie to cover his rear end with. His idea for her began and ended with "Ink Witch" "Has boobs" and he's been floundering ever since.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020
I am assuming these are diegetic messages they wrote in his journal.

Also, called it on Ink Witch being sad because Arudak is sad.

Beelzebufo posted:

Holy poo poo Arudak, you don't even know what the story with Kazya was. Just because she fell in love with someone else doesn't even mean she was unfaithful!

Mookie is like a loving teenager when it comes to love. There's the one true love, people always have to be faithful forever, there's never any complications.

Yeah. And even if she was unfaithful, her cheating on him doesn't mean she hates him/wouldn't want to see him again. It would still hurt, but like, this doesn't seem like something he should just be running with outside of context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

9CL has a plot, yeah it's a lovely one, but it's consistent. Characters want to do things and do so without forgetting what they did two strips before. Even when Gay Hulk turned straight, it wasn't because Brooke forgot that he was gay, it was because he did a lovely storyline about it. When characters are introduced or appear in the strip, they serve a purpose instead of appearing and saying "I'm here" and then never mattering again.

As terrible as the Seth storyline is, at least it kept track of its characters' motivations. Fernanda had appeared years ago in a similar plotline where Seth convinced himself he was only in love with her art, not her. Her suddenly saying in the 2021 storyline that she's had a career-ending injury isn't just random drama, it's Seth having to decide if he genuinely loves Fernanda or if he only lusts for the perfect image of her that he built up. It's still an awful storm of homophobia and bi erasure, but it is by technicality a story with clear character continuity, which is more than Legacy can boast at times.

Back to Legacy, I think it is everyone writing in Snout's diary because an attempt was made to differentiate their handwriting. A half-assed attempt considering the only differences are that Kaianda's letters are wider and it looks like pressure sensitivity was turned off for Inky, but still. And what's with Kaianda's expression here? She looks like she's asleep or unconscious.

The whole "Kazya loved another" thing is bullshit because either it hinges on Arudak jumping to the worst possible conclusion based on vague words, or it's retreading the Jayden plotline where if a woman is unfaithful then she deserves violence or death. Now that I think of it, wasn't there a similar thing with Miranda? A tangent like "oh no the villain was in love with her in the past, did she love him too? Did she love someone other than her lawfully wedded husband!? Oh nevermind it was just a one-sided crush, false alarm" Cheating is horrible, yeah, but I get the feeling there's also some shaming of anyone who doesn't have One True Love over the course of their life.

You know, at this point the Ink Witch would be a more compelling main character than Snout, creepy lack of boundaries aside. Her comforting her former rival and empathizing with his turmoil because she's felt the same pain has the barest hint of character development. Compare to Snout whose character has regressed as time goes on. Not even in an intentional way like a fall from grace, because even that would be good development, but his motivations and personality have withered away along with the rest of the narrative.

In conclusion,

(thanks Mutant Headcrab)

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 12, 2021