Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
In a way, RIP. Guy had some demons.

But really the stuff that has spawned out of here over the years has been as bad for society as he was to everyone around him. I had a long rant typed up but I will leave it at that. This place is proof positive that moderation is needed and works on the internet.

I hope they put “the internet makes you stupid” on his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

wow, holy poo poo about lowtax.

and double holy poo poo the the lady ambien post about what happened

And triple holy poo poo if you go to other sites and read about what they think SA is.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

rdb posted:

In a way, RIP. Guy had some demons.

But really the stuff that has spawned out of here over the years has been as bad for society as he was to everyone around him. I had a long rant typed up but I will leave it at that. This place is proof positive that moderation is needed and works on the internet.

I hope they put “the internet makes you stupid” on his grave.

The real victim hear is the owner of Golden Belly Cookies. With Lowtax's untimely demise and all, I doubt they'll be able to keep the lights on... :baduk:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

bolind posted:

And triple holy poo poo if you go to other sites and read about what they think SA is.

Sometimes it's hard to square how good this (and other!) subforum is and how bad other parts have been or are.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

BraveUlysses posted:

wow, holy poo poo about lowtax.

and double holy poo poo the the lady ambien post about what happened

Here, so nobody else has to search.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3984488&pagenumber=120&perpage=40#post519160186

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

goatse guy posted:

Ahh, I remember you now! I was thinking about those AIM threads in GBS recently because I have now been friends with one person that I met there for almost a decade. It's crazy to think of how many internet friendships I have that are spanning 10+ years. Hope you are doing well! Are you the person who had raccoons as pets?

Yep that's me! I remember we used to talk about autocross and GTIs and stuff. I somehow lost my access to my AIM even tho my great uncle still has and pays for the account, lol. Sucks because I had tons of friends on there I drifted away from as I had that account since 97.

Congrats on the horse, my sister loves them too and dreams about getting another one. I'm gonna dm you here.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

bolind posted:

Bunch of aging hipsters talking about brown station wagons?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

quote:

Kyanka’s legacy is woven into the soul of the internet, for better and for worse. He hated the internet, the internet hated him back, and it's not clear anyone has learned anything from what he helped unleash.

That about sums it up.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Lowtax sucks and tbh he died a spiritual death for me about 6 years ago. I knew the drugs would take him out eventually anyways... Figured something like this would happen eventually. Idk about his ex-wife stuff. I mean Lowtax is a piece of poo poo but honestly I gotta say his ex wife does not seem much better... The whole situation just seems like a dumpster fire disaster...

I'm also very thankful that the responsibility of running the forums was delegated to someone else before he decided to blast himself.

SA is still a special place. In my mind Lowtax died 6 years ago. We all knew it was either this or an overdose...

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

CerealKilla420 posted:

Lowtax sucks and tbh he died a spiritual death for me about 6 years ago. I knew the drugs would take him out eventually anyways... Figured something like this would happen eventually. Idk about his ex-wife stuff. I mean Lowtax is a piece of poo poo but honestly I gotta say his ex wife does not seem much better... The whole situation just seems like a dumpster fire disaster...

I'm also very thankful that the responsibility of running the forums was delegated to someone else before he decided to blast himself.

SA is still a special place. In my mind Lowtax died 6 years ago. We all knew it was either this or an overdose...

Did he have an opiate problem? Tbh I quit caring what that guy did after about 2003. I caught a little bit of the drama with wife two and a little bit of the beating on the young alcoholic girl. I remember the boxing match with ewe boll or something, but beyond that nothing he did stood out.

Fwiw I think he sold the forums. He quit running them a long time before that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
about a year and a half ago his domestic abuse came into the limelight again and he was basically poo poo on by the entire forum to the point of stepping down and selling it to jeffery

prior to that he had been soliciting money on patreon to "keep the forums running" but he was just pocketing all that money to pay for his house and lifestyle.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

rdb posted:

Did he have an opiate problem?

Yes, he had a really horrible opiate, alcohol, and benzo problem for about 10 years prior to this.

BraveUlysses posted:

about a year and a half ago his domestic abuse came into the limelight again and he was basically poo poo on by the entire forum to the point of stepping down and selling it to jeffery

prior to that he had been soliciting money on patreon to "keep the forums running" but he was just pocketing all that money to pay for his house and lifestyle.

Yeah he needed the money for his GTR lease and artisan cookie addiction.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

rdb posted:

Did he have an opiate problem?

Possibly in relation to his bone-itis? People were talking about raising money to buy him a spine, but I didn't pay much attention.

(people who were there, anyone got a summary of the back thing?)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

You do when you work IT
Or offshore. I didn't drink coffee when I worked IT. My first 30-day offshore cruise working nights (midnight to noon shift) turned me into a 20-cup a night drinker. I just drink a double iced with a little half and half in the mornings now.

LobsterboyX posted:

Same - It always comes as a shock to most people that my wife and I don't drink it at all. We have a Keurig that we got for free - occasionally we'll use it for hot chocolate or some fancy cup that I grab from whatever office I'm working at... or when we have guests we force them to use a 1930s Streamline moderne percolator, because I keep it gangster.
Percolator coffee is awful. Get a nice vintage pour over rig for your guests, maybe a manual grinder.

wesleywillis posted:

For those of y'all that don't go to GBS, apparently Lowtax kicked the bucket recently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488
I heard this from a non-SA friend. Judge the art, not the artist, I guess. lovely way to end the saga...

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Cross posting from BFC:

Hey thread. Is there any best practice that you all like to use for 'car affordability' ? Meaning, maybe in terms of % of total income, yearly or monthly, something like that. I am seeing for example, a responsible % of your take-home monthly income should be something like 10%. (https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/much-spend-car)

Just wondering if that is a normal %, conservative, or if AI people tend to spend more than that while still being responsible.

For reference probably not relevant, but I am considering the monetary sacrifice of a 2022 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Prestige :rice:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

Inner Light posted:

Cross posting from BFC:

Hey thread. Is there any best practice that you all like to use for 'car affordability' ? Meaning, maybe in terms of % of total income, yearly or monthly, something like that. I am seeing for example, a responsible % of your take-home monthly income should be something like 10%. (https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/much-spend-car)

Just wondering if that is a normal %, conservative, or if AI people tend to spend more than that while still being responsible.

For reference probably not relevant, but I am considering the monetary sacrifice of a 2022 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Prestige :rice:

my car is approx 95 percent of my net worth.
i also take public transport most places.
the smart move is off lease corolla
the really smart move is shitbox ae* corolla

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Inner Light posted:

Cross posting from BFC:

This is not a place for sensible, responsible automotive purchasing decisions. :getin:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Inner Light posted:

You are probably looking at a $1000 payment with nothing down on that car if you have good credit, no negative equity, and if the dealership isn’t marking them up 10-20k over sticker in your area.

I spend 3% of my monthly gross income on my wretched hateful car and I resent every dollar

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Cars are poo poo.

Wait till its a mortgage.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

goatse guy posted:

You are probably looking at a $1000 payment with nothing down on that car if you have good credit, no negative equity, and if the dealership isn’t marking them up 10-20k over sticker in your area.

I spend 3% of my monthly gross income on my wretched hateful car and I resent every dollar

I'm looking at this example instead. With a $10k down payment I am looking right around $500 per month. High, but is it too high? That is the tough question.

https://www.audihoffmanestates.com/certified/Audi/2018-Audi-A4-11232bfa0a0e09a97fb1799953954d34.htm

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
500 A month probably isn't that unreasonable for the right car, as long as its not a 147 month loan or whatever people are doing these days

tinned owl
Oct 5, 2021
I pay as little as possible for my car, like £3k 6 years ago and essential maintenance

goatse guy posted:

on my wretched hateful car and I resent every dollar

And I spend barely an hour a day in it so it deserves nothing more.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone
OK so I have finally gotten a real fridge after 9 months at my flat. It has been stored lying down and the dad of the previous owner and my dad disagreed about how long it needs to be upright before turning it on. The fridge is at least 20 years old if that matters.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

big dong wanter posted:

OK so I have finally gotten a real fridge after 9 months at my flat. It has been stored lying down and the dad of the previous owner and my dad disagreed about how long it needs to be upright before turning it on. The fridge is at least 20 years old if that matters.

In my experience, probably a week or at very least 3-4 days - I've had lots of fun with vintage fridges and vending machines - sometimes even transporting them can clog them up, its not a hard fix, but its pricy, and a lot of times its more than the fridge is worth, but with the vintage stuff (30s-50s) its worth it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

cursedshitbox posted:

Cars are poo poo.

So true!

I'm making pretty good money relative to my cost of living (for the time being) so my car note actually probably in line with traditional advice about living beneath your means... That said, when I bought the car it was a huge chunk of my income but it really needed to be because without a car I would have been unable to have a job...

I bought a new LE Corolla and on a 5 year loan it's $350/month with the extended warranty... Interest is 2.5% apr because my credit score is pretty decent but I'm sure you could do better...

Someone keyed my car while I had it parked at the airport this week so I'm back to not giving a poo poo about cars and frankly I want to go back to driving beaters but the used car market being what it is right now I'm just planning to drive the wheels off of my Corolla and buy a Ninja 250R for putting around town/fun.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

big dong wanter posted:

20 years or so? A couple hours should be fine. From what I remember, it's to let the oil get back to the compressor. Compressor oil, as a general rule, is not going to be very thick unless it's been stored outside in cold weather.

LobsterboyX posted:

In my experience, probably a week or at very least 3-4 days - I've had lots of fun with vintage fridges and vending machines - sometimes even transporting them can clog them up, its not a hard fix, but its pricy, and a lot of times its more than the fridge is worth, but with the vintage stuff (30s-50s) its worth it.
That seems crazy long to me - any idea why that's the case with vintage units?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would assume more viscous oils in older units, and the higher cost of repairing damage if you gently caress up and turn it on too soon. Big difference is the cost of a negative outcome. Blow up an early-00s fridge you paid $50 for? Sucks but there's plenty more out there. An antique that you might not come across again for years? Now you get to pay big money for repairs.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

To the dangerzone

IOwnCalculus posted:

I would assume more viscous oils in older units, and the higher cost of repairing damage if you gently caress up and turn it on too soon. Big difference is the cost of a negative outcome. Blow up an early-00s fridge you paid $50 for? Sucks but there's plenty more out there. An antique that you might not come across again for years? Now you get to pay big money for repairs.

i mean i kinda wish i had a spare 50 dollarydoos. things are EXTREMELY tight rn.
its all worth it because my son is coming home tho

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

For those of y'all that don't go to GBS, apparently Lowtax kicked the bucket recently.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3984488

loving hell. I don't check the forum for a couple days...
Friend of mine who is a Redditor texted me about it yesterday. Oddly enough, they've been positive about SA itself.

NO.

gently caress NO.

This is not a technology problem. gently caress you. I'm not going to spend time trying to convince my goddamned car I'm not drunk every time I drive it.

Inner Light posted:

Cross posting from BFC:

No advice on finances - I'm terrible with mine - but that looks pretty good. I could do with a bit less upper grill (I'm a fan of actual bumper aesthetics), but not bad overall. Not that I can afford any new car whatsoever. Thank god I'm good at fixing things. I can buy old junk and keep it operating.

edit: clarifying. I'm a fan of it looking like a there is actually a bumper, rather than hiding it behind fake grill. All grill just fucks up the car's face, like having a person have nothing but eyes and a mouth that covers the entire rest of their face.

big dong wanter posted:

my car is approx 95 percent of my net worth.
i also take public transport most places.
the smart move is off lease corolla
the really smart move is shitbox ae* corolla

Speaking of, I have an AE86 I'd like to sell...

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

I'm looking at this example instead. With a $10k down payment I am looking right around $500 per month. High, but is it too high? That is the tough question.

https://www.audihoffmanestates.com/certified/Audi/2018-Audi-A4-11232bfa0a0e09a97fb1799953954d34.htm

If you drop the prestige sport package from the Genesis you would save about $150 bucks a month on a 60-month loan with 0 down OAC, and that seems like a much better buy than the Audi. Preowned car prices have surged 33% higher than the previous year so now is a shite time to buy a used car, or any car for that matter, but as long as there's no insane dealer markup over MSRP you won't be paying too much more than you would have last year for a new Genesis.

tinned owl posted:

I pay as little as possible for my car, like £3k 6 years ago and essential maintenance

And I spend barely an hour a day in it so it deserves nothing more.

I spend way more time in my car than I would like to. I hate it because I had three major oil leaks over the span of two months earlier in the year, but I have a comprehensive service contract that covers drat near everything for the lifetime of the car so I have incentive to drive this miserable shitbox until the wheels fall off.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

goatse guy posted:

If you drop the prestige sport package from the Genesis you would save about $150 bucks a month on a 60-month loan with 0 down OAC, and that seems like a much better buy than the Audi. Preowned car prices have surged 33% higher than the previous year so now is a shite time to buy a used car, or any car for that matter, but as long as there's no insane dealer markup over MSRP you won't be paying too much more than you would have last year for a new Genesis.

I spend way more time in my car than I would like to. I hate it because I had three major oil leaks over the span of two months earlier in the year, but I have a comprehensive service contract that covers drat near everything for the lifetime of the car so I have incentive to drive this miserable shitbox until the wheels fall off.

As expected the advice from BFC and AI has been great quality and helpful, thanks all. I have to take a closer look at trim packages for the G70, I hate losing something like premium audio. If I'm committing to a vehicle for multiple years of this short life we have, I want it to have good speakers. Especially since I live in a condo so I can't blast high quality speakers at home. It sounds stupid, and it is.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

slidebite posted:

That seems crazy long to me - any idea why that's the case with vintage units?

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm no expert when it comes to this, but what I've been told by a few of the tech's is that especially with the older one, debris, oil and other particulates form in closed systems and wind up settling at the bottom of the compressor, because its a closed system, things tend to stay in place in a part designed to entrap that debris, when you lay them over they are free to move about the system willy nilly - when you upright them, 3-4 days is what it takes for gravity to do its job and get that debris back home - if you do plug it in before that there is a chance that the debris can clog some of the lines. Again, I'm no expert, I'm just listening to what these guys are telling me

wanna talk about crazy fridges...

Do a bit of research about the Vendo brand Coke machines - these are probably the most intense refrigeration systems ever made. I haven't had this thing plugged in because I cant find bottles locally for it, but the guy told me that if I did keep it plugged in, I could expect to see a $30-50 per month increase on my power bill.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Had my 5G booster so now I am getting 4k streaming all over the continuous 48 states.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

I'm no expert when it comes to this, but what I've been told by a few of the tech's is that especially with the older one, debris, oil and other particulates form in closed systems and wind up settling at the bottom of the compressor, because its a closed system, things tend to stay in place in a part designed to entrap that debris, when you lay them over they are free to move about the system willy nilly - when you upright them, 3-4 days is what it takes for gravity to do its job and get that debris back home - if you do plug it in before that there is a chance that the debris can clog some of the lines. Again, I'm no expert, I'm just listening to what these guys are telling me

It's this. You want to make drat sure all the poo poo that you just dislodged settles to the bottom of the sump where it's not going to get picked up and sent back into the system. Sometimes no amount of time is enough and you're just gonna lose the gamble of moving something that old.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

Inner Light posted:

As expected the advice from BFC and AI has been great quality and helpful, thanks all. I have to take a closer look at trim packages for the G70, I hate losing something like premium audio. If I'm committing to a vehicle for multiple years of this short life we have, I want it to have good speakers. Especially since I live in a condo so I can't blast high quality speakers at home. It sounds stupid, and it is.

I looked closer at the packages. By going with the Sport Advanced instead of the Sport Prestige, you would lose the nappa leather, the HUD, the Brembos, LSD, ECS, and some advanced safety features but you would still get the Lexicon 15-Speaker Audio and save $4000. At that point though I would just go hog wild and get the Prestige package.

If you are serious about buying a car you should talk to a local dealer about the availability and whether they're charging over MSRP, as I have customers who are still waiting for vehicles that they ordered six months ago or more. I do not know how the chip shortage, etc has affected Genesis.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

LobsterboyX posted:

Do a bit of research about the Vendo brand Coke machines - these are probably the most intense refrigeration systems ever made. I haven't had this thing plugged in because I cant find bottles locally for it, but the guy told me that if I did keep it plugged in, I could expect to see a $30-50 per month increase on my power bill.

My grandparents have one of these running in their house. We used to be able to get bottles for it from Sams or Costco, but they stopped stocking them. We can now get Mexican coke in glass bottles from amazon, but haven't in a while just because the drat thing is so loud.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We used to have an old 70s pepsi vending machine at my old office in the 90s that we stocked with 5-6 different kinds of beer. Functioned perfectly and self-funded... I think it was something like $.75/beer which was about the break even point at the time.. but luckily we didn't have to pay the power and that never even crossed our minds.

Kept them super frosty though so I can't imagine it was a power miser.

LobsterboyX posted:

I'm no expert when it comes to this, but what I've been told by a few of the tech's is that especially with the older one, debris, oil and other particulates form in closed systems and wind up settling at the bottom of the compressor, because its a closed system, things tend to stay in place in a part designed to entrap that debris, when you lay them over they are free to move about the system willy nilly - when you upright them, 3-4 days is what it takes for gravity to do its job and get that debris back home - if you do plug it in before that there is a chance that the debris can clog some of the lines. Again, I'm no expert, I'm just listening to what these guys are telling me.
With you mentioning debris, that makes perfect sense.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Spending the first weekend together tomorrow and I still can't believe how lucky I am. I seriously thought I'd never meet anyone that would make me feel this way ever again. I'm so happy :3:

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

Went for a drive today to visit some people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

shy boy from chess club posted:

Spending the first weekend together tomorrow and I still can't believe how lucky I am. I seriously thought I'd never meet anyone that would make me feel this way ever again. I'm so happy :3:

Sounds great, hope y'all have a good weekend!