Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Heran Bago posted:

If you are sad or depressed that Lowtax died absolutely seek help immediately.
if you're happy that a guy offed himself after making a mess of his life also seek help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lollontee posted:

lowtax didnt od tho, he did an entirely different bad choice. like, opium addictions are shithole its hard to crawl out of and i got plenty of horrifying jokes about certain personal experiences, but you gotta admit the man offed himself cuz he couldnt face up to reality. and thats funny

The tweet seemed to indicate that he was 100% sure the court would rule in his favor.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

TBH I feel more grim about this, its sad to see lowtax go in some ways but he was such a trainwreck and did some real lovely things and in retrospect it doesn't seem like his life would end any way but this

I think it would be a good thing if goons gave their emotional support to his ex wives and children, because they need it right now

So basically,

vyelkin posted:

gotta say, im happy that lowtax created these dumb forums, im happy that these forums outgrew lowtax, and im sad that he chose not to grow along with the forums, the end

Feldegast42 has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Nov 11, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Radirot posted:

joking about his problems with substance abuse is pretty lovely all things considering. someone I know oded around this time last year leaving behind a 4 month old.

Before my transition my goto #1 coping method was to laugh at everything dark and horrific and I only figured out in the last 2 years how little this actually let me process and confront the poo poo i was ostensibly coping with.

I see a lot of goons doing it, and i still do it a bit reflexively, i just don't let it be the the be all end all cope i used to make it

Basically making calls to empathy my goto on the forums like laugh at stupid dark poo poo but don't be a callous thoughtless fucker like consider the fact his daughters may read this or some time in the future and consider your words may be very literally hurting children directly? Like idk nobody wants to be caught excusing his behavior but between that and callous pitch black humor with zero empathy exists the target medium and I know some goons need help getting there

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

vyelkin posted:

gotta say, im happy that lowtax created these dumb forums, im happy that these forums outgrew lowtax, and im sad that he chose not to grow along with the forums, the end

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Didn't see that he did /p #life

If you're depressed or considering suicide because the Something Awful guy Lowtax did it first than definitely call an 800 number about it.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

etalian posted:

The tweet seemed to indicate that he was 100% sure the court would rule in his favor.

and the stupid moron 1000% believed everything would turn out heads for him in the end

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
he was gonna win everything back and everyone would like him again

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Feldegast42 posted:

TBH I feel more grim about this, its sad to see lowtax go in some ways but he was such a trainwreck and did some real lovely things and in retrospect it doesn't seem like his life would end any way but this

I think it would be a good thing if goons gave their emotional support to his ex wives and children, because they need it right now

You can also provide material support for those folks here.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

lollontee posted:

and the stupid moron 1000% believed everything would turn out heads for him in the end

.22 years of never having to face adversity hit him all at once

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

redneck nazgul posted:

.22 years of never having to face adversity hit him all at once

well it dinged him in the spine first but yeah Lowtax's reality came crashing down like the walls of Jericho

Pepperoneedy has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Nov 11, 2021

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Putting his life in the context of other internet gurus/comedy people and how they turned out, or just Americans who managed to ride the various economic bubbles from the late 90s onwards and find some success before the next one devastated them. Always moving to a new hustle, trying to reach that high again in the context of a society that had astronomical wealth, but increasing levels of inequality and alienation, riddled with crises.

But on a personal level it's just really loving sad for his kids and former partners who deserved a lot better.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
something wrong
i hold my head
lowtax gone

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So the moral of the story is we should probably take out a life insurance policy on Senior Fragmaster next?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kit Walker posted:

Maybe his kids shouldn't be googling death threads about their pops and following links to SA, a place that had a really contentious relationship with him. My protip would be to just do what their dad couldn't do and log off

Well, he did log off.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Someone's a goon or at least a lurker.

(The joke is the "four days ago")

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Depressing ending but it's done by a Goon!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I might be crazy but I think his children will probably already have a contentious relationship with his memory, given that he blew his own head off rather than, you know, pay child support to allow them to have a base standard of living.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

etalian posted:

So the moral of the story is we should probably take out a life insurance policy on Senior Fragmaster next?

I hope Frags is doing okay. he seems to have logged off as far as I know and hopefully he's found some happiness

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The OP of the gofundme has been updated

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

Depressing ending but it's done by a Goon!

goon projects never end well

so does the sa EULA still say we all get entombed with lowtax when he dies?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

vyelkin posted:

Same.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

if you're happy that a guy offed himself after making a mess of his life also seek help

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm just glad nothing happened to his ex-wife and kids. Domestic abusers have a tendency to kill others before themselves if they have decided on suicide.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gazpacho posted:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I'm just glad nothing happened to his ex-wife and kids. Domestic abusers have a tendency to kill others before themselves if they have decided on suicide.

considering that apparently the first thing Lowtax's mom did was call up the ex to say his blood was on her hands I'd probably still worry about that

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Lord of Pie posted:

considering that apparently the first thing Lowtax's mom did was call up the ex to say his blood was on her hands I'd probably still worry about that

I wonder if she's friends with Vilerat's mom

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Robo Reagan posted:

goon projects never end well

so does the sa EULA still say we all get entombed with lowtax when he dies?

No but the EULA did say you will be obligated visit Lee Summitt to drop off Memorial Mangosteens on his grave.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's time for Goons to apologize to Lowtax

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

vyelkin posted:

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

bring back LF

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
hey remember when lowtax's response to "so did you beat your wife or not" was "they've never proven it in court" lmao

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Foo Diddley posted:

hey remember when lowtax's response to "so did you beat your wife or not" was "they've never proven it in court" lmao

I mean I get why people think it's sad, it is and it sucks for his kids, but also lmao

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

Foo Diddley posted:

the judge officially declaring his behavior as Domestic Violence probably carried more weight than anything about the money

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Dreylad posted:

You can also provide material support for those folks here.
OP please edit this in.

Enver Zogha
Nov 12, 2008

The modern revisionists and reactionaries call us Stalinists, thinking that they insult us and, in fact, that is what they have in mind. But, on the contrary, they glorify us with this epithet; it is an honor for us to be Stalinists.

Filthy Hans posted:

I mean I get why people think it's sad, it is and it sucks for his kids, but also lmao
Yeah I can fully understand people who have only (or mainly) positive memories of Lowtax, so that his death comes across as a sad event. Fragmaster's video is a case in point. I myself basically only knew him as a guy who wrote stuff about games and movies 15+ years ago (like his review of Thundra or his Battlefield 2 guide.) But I can also fully understand people who are like "lol Lowtax died" and/or emphasize that he consciously did bad, spiteful things right to the end. There's no contradiction.

Enver Zogha has issued a correction as of 19:21 on Nov 11, 2021

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

Gazpacho posted:

That he offed himself is just super lovely all the way around. Lowtax's issues and treatment of others aside, that transition from him enjoying those moments with his kid as Fragmaster recollected in his tribute video to Lowtax ultimately killing himself shortly after his last YouTube upload and leaving a permanent marker of emotional wreckage for the survivors is harrowing. That didn't have to be the last chapter and I hope it was not a planned final gently caress you to everyone.

If anyone is out there reading about this is having hopeless thoughts think again. Then think a second time and third and get on the horn with someone to let it all out. It doesn't have to end like this.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

“Ultimately Rich created a community where interesting things happened and people connected,” fragmaster said in his video eulogy. “It led to a gigantic number of positive things. Numerous marriages, friendships, children can be traced back to Something Awful goon meets, private messages….many lives were strangely improved by Rich and his creation.”

But many lives were also warped and destroyed. One of the most popular forum threads on the site was Groverhaus, the story about a sprawling and bizarre home construction project. Goons were so hungry for more information about the strange house that they doxxed the owner and harassed him and his family for the lolz. The targeted harassment campaigns of Kiwi Farms and 4chan were born and perfected on Something Awful before moving off site. The internet’s general interest in seeking justice via public shaming was fostered there.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just in: Goon issues scathing rebuttal to eulogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wonder if he bought any NFTs