Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
My amanos live on the heater cage/vents to keep them out. I think they are cheating on browsing for algae!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
In the past 20? or so years I've seen one person manage to raise Amano's. IMHO just be happy you got eggs, cause it means you're doing something right.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I feel like I am a horrible person. My husband has been in the hospital for several days and received several bags of blood along with many other injections into his veins. I have had to be with him at every moment I and couldn't treat my Betta properly. I tried to feed him today and he could even eat. So I euthanized him - it wasn't a matter of too much trouble, it was there is no going back if he can't eat when he letargic ly kinda tries.

I feel horrid but felt there was no other option. Because my husband comes first. And I am crying because I had to do it. I did the clove and vodka thing and then smash against the fridge. I don't know if that was correct because I never did it before. :cry:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I feel like I am a horrible person. My husband has been in the hospital for several days and received several bags of blood along with many other injections into his veins. I have had to be with him at every moment I and couldn't treat my Betta properly. I tried to feed him today and he could even eat. So I euthanized him - it wasn't a matter of too much trouble, it was there is no going back if he can't eat when he letargic ly kinda tries.

I feel horrid but felt there was no other option. Because my husband comes first. And I am crying because I had to do it. I did the clove and vodka thing and then smash against the fridge. I don't know if that was correct because I never did it before. :cry:

You did nothing wrong. Even if you medicate fish properly, there's a good chance they won't make it because they tend to hide their illness pretty well. Most wild animals do. I hope your husband is feeling better, if you can, take some time off for yourself as well.

Please don't feel bad about this. I know that's hard to do, I've had to euthanize fish in the past and just last year I had to euthanize my pet hedgehog. But that's the hardest part of owning any pets, knowing when it's time, and doing it when it's necessary

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You did the right thing, from your posts before we know you put a good faith effort into treating your fish and sometimes it just doesn't work even under perfect circumstances. It's cruel to prolong suffering and it doesn't make you a bad person at all. It makes you a kind person under a lot of pressure who was brave enough to make the right decision. It never feels good though :sympathy:

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I finally move my fish to my new tank and tore down my despised 12 gallon yesterday and gave the giant algae covered anubias and all the substrate to some guy from Facebook and he gave me a bottle of honey from his bees. It was a pretty good trade in my opinion.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have some self cloning crayfish arriving to me tomorrow. I don't really have much experience with this variation. Anything I should know?? Will the fish eat the babies? I know the mother will. Im not interested in breeding in so much as watching a few of them grow in the tank.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

The crayfish might eat your fish, if that's a concern...

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I was doing some reading last night about self cloning crays, assuming you're getting marbled crays there's more chance they'll eat your plants and snails than your fish. I didn't realise there were crays that are mostly herbivores, but apparently this is the diagnostic to tell if you have real self cloning marbled crayfish - if they attack your fish you've been sold fake ones. This could also be pro-crayfish propaganda, even my tiny dwarf crays think they can hunt fish and try to do so in community tanks so I don't keep them in communities any more. Almost any fish will try to eat whatever fits into their mouths so the baby crays are fair game but depending on the fish they might go for the adult cray while it's soft shelled after moulting too. So you'd want to make sure you have caves/hides for the big crays so they can find safety and feel secure after moulting. I honestly haven't seen my crays eat their own babies but dwarf crays are pretty chill with each other as long as there is enough surface area to stand on, I haven't seen fights breaking out for a long time. I am not sure if self cloning crays are territorial with each other but that is common with some crays. I feed mine a variety of different foods, sometimes shrimp/invert specific, they also seem to like Northfin kelp wafers, I remember reading somewhere that inverts need a source of iodine to assist with moulting and I haven't really seen any moulting problems with my crays since making sure they get some kelp every now and then. Post some pictures once your crays come, apparently their patterning is all the same but the colouration is affected by the food they eat.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The ones i got are called "Marmokreb" along with two Electric Blues. I will definitely post some pics. Hopefully they should be here today. I've had crays in the past and the ones I had werent very territorial but I did have one incident where a fairly large one ate one of the smaller ones. Not sure what happened.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
Just won an auction on aquabid for some betta channoides. These guys:

I'm going to set up a 20 gallon blackwater tank for the five of them, since I have a twenty on hand, but keep an eye out for a thirty or larger on Craigslist. My current plan is to keep just the bettas, adding in some kuhli loaches if I can get a larger tank. They're one of the more peaceful bettas and everything I've read says five will be fine in a twenty. I love grumpy looking fish.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Those are pretty awesome sounding. That is a Good Fish.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Welp, I think I've pinpointed the root of the algae problem - my tap water is hitting 8-10 ppm PO4 on two different phosphate tests. Going to try phosguard and see if that improves things.

In sad news the little endler died this week. Not sure why, it seemed to be doing really well and no obvious injuries. Also lost the third scarlet shiner to wasting last week - they were all from the same batch and thankfully no signs of wasting in any of the others.

No way I'm gonna be able to get more of those this year, but got some spotfin shiners to replace them which are all eating well in quarantine. They should school together, I hope.

Edit: Also had one of the mountain redbelly dace jump out of the tank - just found him. And overnight one of the spotfins in quarantine got his tail shredded up pretty bad. Bad week for my fish.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 31, 2021

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Well, shoot, my betta seemed to be improving last week. He's got a rather large lump on his side, I'm guessing from bumping into something. He's blind and prone to that, even though I've tried removing anything sharp from the tank.

I've been going out of my way to keep his water very clean, but it seems whatever infection he has is coming back with a vengeance. I ran him through a cycle of erithromycin and 1tsp salt/gallon last week which took care of the redness around his wound and reduced the swelling considerably. I let him have an extra few days in the salt bath before returning him to his tank. Now, his wound is looking red and raggedy again and he's got what appears to be a bit of pop eye. I'm planning to try a course of Furan-2 and possibly Kanamycin, but I'm not really hopeful he'll pull through.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I wish the best for your betta bro. Definitely a Good Fish.

My hillstream loaches are doing well, too. I love my fluttery, hopping fish.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

my girlfriend's thinking about doing an art piece featuring live eels. don't worry, no violence is involved. in any case, she went to a fishmonger, and was told they would need to be kept at a temperature < 70F, which would be really tough in the prospective space. same person told her they'd try and eat each other if the temperature went over 70F.

i'm not finding anything online about this. it also seems crazy given most sites seem to say eels are extremely hardy. i also don't think it makes sense given where they live in nature. surely the water temps are over 70F.

they're yellow american eels fwiw.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Seems hosed up what is she going to do with the eels after? It's just going to stress them out and seems really cruel for a self serving purpose.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

well it's just an idea, first. as for after, i don't know. she'd be more than willing to do whatever's best for them.

haven't really thought this through, as i'm sure you can tell. again, just an idea she had a few days ago.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Fish are not decorations, and eels in particular have what is probably going to be non compliant behaviour. They're nocturnal and will hide or bury themselves and they are also renowned escape artists. From a fishmongers point of view, they probably don't keep the eels in any kind of habitat so of course the stressed eels need to be chilled to keep them groggy, but in the longer term an eel provided with appropriate care is going to attempt more natural behaviour - such as evading predators and trying to migrate to complete their life cycle.

I don't know what the arguments are for ethical use of animals in art; but the questions I have are how does she expect to make the eels perform correctly? How much effort is she willing to put in to appropriate care, feeding, life support? How does she plan to dispose of the eels afterwards? Why live eels instead of something else?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the temperature thing is what made me go Hmmm. In reptile shows, it is very common for lovely sellers to keep their aggressive snakes/biters in a cool state, so they are sluggish and not as nasty. Get your new pet home with the right temperatures, and their lovely personality comes through.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

abelwingnut posted:

my girlfriend's thinking about doing an art piece featuring live eels. don't worry, no violence is involved. in any case, she went to a fishmonger, and was told they would need to be kept at a temperature < 70F, which would be really tough in the prospective space. same person told her they'd try and eat each other if the temperature went over 70F.

i'm not finding anything online about this. it also seems crazy given most sites seem to say eels are extremely hardy. i also don't think it makes sense given where they live in nature. surely the water temps are over 70F.

they're yellow american eels fwiw.

While not currently protected by the US federal government, that species is considered endangered by the IUCN. What she’s thinking about isn’t illegal, but it’s pretty uncool.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The only live animals in art I think I've seen that didn't make me frown immediately was the room full of electric guitars and seventy zebra finches.. Which I really like and I would love to spend an afternoon in. The animals in question are a commonly kept species with relatively easy care requirements, and they're engaging in their normal bird business in an unusual sort of aviary but don't appear to be stressed by the experience.

I personally don't know much about eels in particular, but it strikes me that if you're going to use any animal in an art exhibit, then you need to know a lot about them, how they behave, what they need, and shape the art to fit them rather than expect them to adjust to any artistic vision you might have. If you don't, well, you might end up with animals that are not behaving how you want them to. You might also just end up with dead eels.

RoboRodent fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 7, 2021

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Be careful, eels have a surprisingly strong bite. Mostly keep things they can't/won't chill with the eel or vice versa if you want the eel for good.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I have a bad case of Moretank Syndrome.

I picked up a 90 gallon at a garage sale. I think I'm going to play it safe and reseal it before using it, and I'll need to build a base, but I paid 90 dollars for a tank with the light, glass covers and she threw in a canister filter for free, so I'm happy. My current fish list on angelfish, hatchetfish, tetras, cories and whiptail catfish, in a driftwood heavy tank. I'm used to working with lots of nano fish, even in my 40 gallon tanks, so I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking in terms of larger fish. If not angels, I'm considering keyhole cichlids, geophagus and acaras. Might be able to get two types of cichlids with heavy cover.

I had a distinct feelings of "yay!" followed by "what the hell am I doing" as I drove away.

Hmm, Geophagus sp red-headed tapajos would be okay with a pair of angels according to aqadvisor...

Bonster fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 9, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bonster posted:

I have a bad case of Moretank Syndrome.

I picked up a 90 gallon at a garage sale. I think I'm going to play it safe and reseal it before using it, and I'll need to build a base, but I paid 90 dollars for a tank with the light, glass covers and she threw in a canister filter for free, so I'm happy. My current fish list on angelfish, hatchetfish, tetras, cories and whiptail catfish, in a driftwood heavy tank. I'm used to working with lots of nano fish, even in my 40 gallon tanks, so I'm having a bit of a hard time thinking in terms of larger fish. If not angels, I'm considering keyhole cichlids, geophagus and acaras. Might be able to get two types of cichlids with heavy cover.

I had a distinct feelings of "yay!" followed by "what the hell am I doing" as I drove away.

Hmm, Geophagus sp red-headed tapajos would be okay with a pair of angels according to aqadvisor...

gently caress building a base, get yourself a Husky bench at home despot rated for 3k lbs

fish ideas: goldfish, needlenose gar (false gar), old world cichlids/new world cichlids, discus

or do a reef or saltwater fowlr tank (get lionfish?). A nice clownfish population or mixed reef fish population would look real good in 90gal. Maybe get some fancy clams? Maybe grow a mangrove? You could do it fancy with a separate sump or add in a built-in sump (BRS will sell you sump box kits that you silicone into your tank, or Sicce drop-in filters that do the same function). Also probably could do it with a HoB like a sized-up Aquaclear if you’re smart about it, but HoBs can be kinda unsightly at times. I’ve built simple HoB covers out of wood that slide over the back of the tank.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 9, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I’m going to start a tank room. Does anyone have suggestions for racks that can support tanks two or three high?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I’m going to start a tank room. Does anyone have suggestions for racks that can support tanks two or three high?

The big heavy duty metal racks at home despot is what p much 90% of ppl with racks of tanks use. Put a sheet of plywood over the wire shelving. I think some are sold under the Husky brand but I’m not sure. Just go and see whatever the beefiest steel shelving unit they have is. It’s gonna be rated for several thousands of pounds.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Ok Comboomer posted:

gently caress building a base, get yourself a Husky bench at home despot rated for 3k lbs

fish ideas: goldfish, needlenose gar (false gar), old world cichlids/new world cichlids, discus

or do a reef or saltwater fowlr tank (get lionfish?). A nice clownfish population or mixed reef fish population would look real good in 90gal. Maybe get some fancy clams? Maybe grow a mangrove? You could do it fancy with a separate sump or add in a built-in sump (BRS will sell you sump box kits that you silicone into your tank, or Sicce drop-in filters that do the same function). Also probably could do it with a HoB like a sized-up Aquaclear if you’re smart about it, but HoBs can be kinda unsightly at times. I’ve built simple HoB covers out of wood that slide over the back of the tank.

I thought of a reef tank - I have a small FOWLR that I really like but the constant algae fight is driving me nuts. The clowns eat right out of my hand, though, and all five fish get along really well, which is something of a miracle.

Good idea with the work benches. I looked for aquarium stands for tanks that size and kept finding 50/75/90 tanks that did NOT look like they could hold up over 1000 lbs.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I use the big Husky racks in my garage (but not for fish). They have 2 different trims, the strongest ones I think are rated for 2k lbs on each row (8k lbs total). I prefer the bigger ones as they're easier to put together, but if I'm remembering correctly the smaller one can be used in double length horizontal configuration whereas the bigger one is vertical only.

I left decaying plant matter in a corner for too long and now my tank is covered in blue-green algae. I shut off all the lights for a week and that did nothing. Now I'm treating with antibiotics and I think its working. It seems to be receding from the plant leaves and is becoming really stringy. Any ideas on how it takes to recover from a mess like this?

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

I use the big Husky racks in my garage (but not for fish). They have 2 different trims, the strongest ones I think are rated for 2k lbs on each row (8k lbs total). I prefer the bigger ones as they're easier to put together, but if I'm remembering correctly the smaller one can be used in double length horizontal configuration whereas the bigger one is vertical only.

I left decaying plant matter in a corner for too long and now my tank is covered in blue-green algae. I shut off all the lights for a week and that did nothing. Now I'm treating with antibiotics and I think its working. It seems to be receding from the plant leaves and is becoming really stringy. Any ideas on how it takes to recover from a mess like this?

Have you tried Phosguard/Phosban?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

Have you tried Phosguard/Phosban?

I have not. Does that work with blue-green algae? I tried looking up info on it and it says it works with brown and black types, but blue-green is a cyanobacteria so I thought antibiotics were required.

I might try Blue-green Slime Stain Remover next. Apparently a third dose of maracyn is going to risk killing all the good bacteria.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Chemiclean is the same stuff I think, it killed all my cyano after one dose but manual removal of the dead stuff was still necessary. Didn't hurt the filter either.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I successfully* made a tank out of glass that holds water and it's only somewhat hideous :toot:

Now I guess I have to get some stuff to put in it.

I got an AquaClear 50 at least for now, but I don't particularly want to gently caress around with the charcoal poo poo it comes with. I replaced the space it would fill with extra biological media, which I hope/assume is fine?

* Other than a bunch of extremely sloppy silicone I still have to clean up.

candystarlight
Jun 5, 2017

Wallet posted:

I successfully* made a tank out of glass that holds water and it's only somewhat hideous :toot:

Now I guess I have to get some stuff to put in it.

I got an AquaClear 50 at least for now, but I don't particularly want to gently caress around with the charcoal poo poo it comes with. I replaced the space it would fill with extra biological media, which I hope/assume is fine?

* Other than a bunch of extremely sloppy silicone I still have to clean up.

That looks really cool! I'm excited to see what you end up doing with it.

You should be fine without the charcoal. It's really only needed it if you're trying to remove other chemicals/meds from the water so it's not a bad idea to keep it around even if you're not using it now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think it looks great! Good choice of light, good choice of filter. Maybe not a good choice of stand though, how heavy is it going to be full of water? I can't tell the size but one of my favourite calculators could probably work out the weight for you https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/TankWeight.php

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Not sure what everyone else is using, but I just cut pieces off a charcoal foam pad instead of the mesh bags full of the loose stuff. Much easier to manage.

https://www.amazon.com/EA-Premium-Carbon-Infused-Filter/dp/B07T3PPH4C/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=charcoal+carbon+pad&qid=1636654181&sr=8-9

When I'm not using Purigen at least.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Stoca Zola posted:

I think it looks great! Good choice of light, good choice of filter. Maybe not a good choice of stand though, how heavy is it going to be full of water? I can't tell the size but one of my favourite calculators could probably work out the weight for you https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/TankWeight.php

It's only 13"x17"x14" so not super heavy. I built the stand out of cherry to hold plants and I don't think it should have any problem with the weight but I guess if it explodes we'll know I was wrong. It's on the right part where the lamp is in this photo so also directly above a lot of leg:

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Wallet posted:

It's only 13"x17"x14" so not super heavy. I built the stand out of cherry to hold plants and I don't think it should have any problem with the weight but I guess if it explodes we'll know I was wrong. It's on the right part where the lamp is in this photo so also directly above a lot of leg:

13"x17"x14" comes out to about 13.4 gallons. The rule of thumb for aquariums is 1 gallon = 1 lb of weight with all the gravel and equipment and stuff. That comes out to ~130 pounds. Any stand you put that on you should feel confident a person could stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Asterite34 posted:

13"x17"x14" comes out to about 13.4 gallons. The rule of thumb for aquariums is 1 gallon = 1 lb of weight with all the gravel and equipment and stuff. That comes out to ~130 pounds. Any stand you put that on you should feel confident a person could stand on.

I was mostly joking. Given the size of the legs (~18" deep 3/4" wide), the distance between them, and the bending strength of cherry I'd be pretty confident dancing on it with a friend and have stood on it in the past. When watered the plants on the longer spans are likely heavier than the tank will be.