Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

TheSlutPit posted:

“Ultimately Rich created a community where interesting things happened and people connected,” fragmaster said in his video eulogy. “It led to a gigantic number of positive things. Numerous marriages, friendships, children can be traced back to Something Awful goon meets, private messages….many lives were strangely improved by Rich and his creation.”

But many lives were also warped and destroyed. One of the most popular forum threads on the site was Groverhaus, the story about a sprawling and bizarre home construction project. Goons were so hungry for more information about the strange house that they doxxed the owner and harassed him and his family for the lolz. The targeted harassment campaigns of Kiwi Farms and 4chan were born and perfected on Something Awful before moving off site. The internet’s general interest in seeking justice via public shaming was fostered there.

lmfao

yes, when we think back on SA's depredations, it will truly be Grover who suffered most and most undeservedly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

shyduck posted:

I wonder if he bought any NFTs

https://twitter.com/AliceAletheia/status/1458873494570250246

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/dril/status/390476038930972673

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

shyduck posted:

explains how he lost $400k so fast

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

:dudsmile:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
lmfao but solemnly

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

shyduck posted:

he was ahead of the curve with those spaceship jpegs that nobody got

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TheSlutPit posted:

“Ultimately Rich created a community where interesting things happened and people connected,” fragmaster said in his video eulogy. “It led to a gigantic number of positive things. Numerous marriages, friendships, children can be traced back to Something Awful goon meets, private messages….many lives were strangely improved by Rich and his creation.”

But many lives were also warped and destroyed. One of the most popular forum threads on the site was Groverhaus, the story about a sprawling and bizarre home construction project. Goons were so hungry for more information about the strange house that they doxxed the owner and harassed him and his family for the lolz. The targeted harassment campaigns of Kiwi Farms and 4chan were born and perfected on Something Awful before moving off site. The internet’s general interest in seeking justice via public shaming was fostered there.

grover got a job at vice

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

If a lot of the basic language of the U.S. internet was influenced by the forums, so was the kind of affectless irony that starts with people pretending to be Nazis as a joke and ending up as actual Nazis.

still whining about irony smdh

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I’ve been lurking on these forums for over 20 years and this is the first piece of goon drama that’s actually left me speechless and stunned

It’s too bad he turned out to be such a piece of poo poo because back in 99-01 he was kind of an internet comedy pioneer

His final post about being the real victim hits close to me. my aunt’s abusive ex-husband was similarly delusional and psycopathic.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Like many I was shocked and saddened by the news today my heart goe-

45?!!!! I thought he was like loving 60?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

grover got a job at vice

Didn't LF get shut down because people harassed Grover?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Reik posted:

they "harassed" him on the forums by making fun of his house. there was no rl harassment afaik. a few months ago some girl on twitter took a selfie outside his house tho.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
*with a powerpoint slide of an image of a horse behind me* If you like horses, then you will like this eulogy.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Reik posted:

finally someone gets it right

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

they "harassed" him on the forums by making fun of his house. there was no rl harassment afaik. a few months ago some girl on twitter took a selfie outside his house tho.

Ah, the way Lowtax worded it in the closing post makes it sounds like Grover got stalked/harassed/death threats.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410745

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

Just in: Goon issues scathing rebuttal to eulogy

Lmao

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I scream about the injustice of the people who sent me mean tweets after I was banned for "making GBS threads myself and posting pictures". I cry for a refund of my last ten dollars that I needed to buy new diapers as I'm being dragged out of the funeral home.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

LBGT

Lowtax Be Gaslighting Them

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Chillgamesh posted:

Just in: Goon issues scathing rebuttal to eulogy

lol

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Reik posted:

Ah, the way Lowtax worded it in the closing post makes it sounds like Grover got stalked/harassed/death threats.

Didn't he also lie about getting visited by the FBI or secret service or whatever? Lol imagine believing a word this guy said

I mean I'm not happy he's dead, suicide is awful but still, he was a manipulative abuser and liar

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Rynn posted:

During the 2016 election anyone who toxxed for Hillary was told by the mod team that they would just be probated instead since it was a lot of people and a crazy happening etc

Lowtax decided he wanted that cash and told the mod to ban them anyways. So I had to spend $20 to get everything back

So gently caress him I guess

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

IAMKOREA posted:

Didn't he also lie about getting visited by the FBI or secret service or whatever? Lol imagine believing a word this guy said

I mean I'm not happy he's dead, suicide is awful but still, he was a manipulative abuser and liar

FBI monitoring a sad has been website, even more so a random sub-forum sort of defied the common sense part of making a believable lie.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

IAMKOREA posted:

Yeah, I was just trying to figure out why someone would think Grover and his family got harassed by goons.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LGD posted:

lmfao

yes, when we think back on SA's depredations, it will truly be Grover who suffered most and most undeservedly

A reminder that Grover believes that people in the military were obligated to salute him if he had a higher federal GS rank.

He also got home inspection license just so he could sign off on his ramshackle craftmanship at Groverhaus

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lmao there's been some banger goon posts in that thread. I love the one blaming lowtax for covid and fascism existing in america.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

etalian posted:

A reminder that Grover believes that people in the military were obligated to salute him if he had a higher federal GS rank.

He also got home inspection license just so he could sign off on his ramshackle craftmanship at Groverhaus

lol he sounds p funny tbh

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

lol he sounds p funny tbh

It was a good example of why it's sometimes best for Goons to not actually finish their projects / pipe dreams.

etalian has issued a correction as of 21:27 on Nov 11, 2021

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

etalian posted:

It was a good example of why it's sometimes not best for Goons to not actually finish their projects / pipe dreams.

The one picture of him standing in a morass of concrete and swamp effluent, looking forlorn, is one of the things that carries me through the darkest of my days.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Penisaurus Sex posted:

The one picture of him standing in a morass of concrete and swamp effluent, looking forlorn, is one of the things that carries me through the darkest of my days.

It is a work of art, the look of confusion on his face and the realization that mistakes were made.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
dude who brought that many people together dying alone is legit sad.

here's to remembering him as the piece of poo poo he was, not the piece of poo poo he became.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Reik posted:

lowtax was a liar.

i went back and looked in the mod forum when i was a mod for the lf closing thread and it was never mentioned. absolutely something lowtax said to defend his kneejerk overreaction

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I'll never forget him, the lowtax thoughtform in my mind must suffer eternally for his sins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Kissinger claims another