Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

no. a game where you can kick/throw enemies off a cliff is better than a game where you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mescal posted:

no. a game where you can kick/throw enemies off a cliff is better than a game where you can't.

Dark Messiah is a pretty fun game, way better combat than Elder Scrolls.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Skulker posted:

In general if anyone starts saying "you can <x>" as a selling point of a game I automatically think they're dumb and the game is bad.

This describes literally every game ever played by a person, which is what makes the statement true

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It was still a weird diatribe that I'm sure sounded better in their head

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dark Messiah has that classic hyper sexualized almost-bdsm fantasy aesthetic. Reminds me of Sacred

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Tetrabor posted:

Dark Messiah is a pretty fun game, way better combat than Elder Scrolls.

is there a mod for making it possible to control your character so they do what you want? i bought the game and i want to love it, but i have noooo idea how people ever hosed with this character control.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I miss the poop sprayer truck from Saint Row 2.

And the character creator from 2.

3 reverted to crap.

I would like to keep super speed running and jumping as that was awesome to jump over buildings.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Remember online passes? That poo poo sucked

I bought a sealed copy of Destiny for $5 with all the DLC. When I opened it the DLC were a bunch of codes on a card that expired a year before I bought the game, because digital copies have a expiry date somehow.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

DE : Mankind Divided's single use DLC were just dumbfounding

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The economy of Stellaris is too complicated. The exploration, research and war/diplomacy parts of it are fantastic but actually configuring the multiple economic resources of your empire is tedious bullshit that takes up too much time and energy.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Excelzior posted:

DE : Mankind Divided's single use DLC were just dumbfounding

You're going to have to explain what this means because surely what the terminology makes me imagine cannot be right.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Poker Party posted:

You're going to have to explain what this means because surely what the terminology makes me imagine cannot be right.

In game items you could only use once on one playthrough if I'm remembering correctly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nvidiagouge posted:

In game items you could only use once on one playthrough if I'm remembering correctly.

What the gently caress

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

nvidiagouge posted:

The economy of Stellaris is too complicated. The exploration, research and war/diplomacy parts of it are fantastic but actually configuring the multiple economic resources of your empire is tedious bullshit that takes up too much time and energy.

Try Victoria II. Earlier game by the same devs, should help you master the economy of stellaris

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nvidiagouge posted:

The Stellaris economy is a little less complicated than most other 4X games, including Civilization. But you're right that it's much more complicated than Command and Conquer

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

The Stellaris economy is a little less complicated than most other 4X games, including Civilization. But you're right that it's much more complicated than Command and Conquer

Not really. The way you acquire and spend a lot of the Civ resources you manage is fairly automated. My food feeds directly into my cities and creates pops, it doesn't collect into this massive pool of multiple other resources I have to constantly build storage for across the galaxy. Then there's the other non-tangible resources like empire sprawl and admin capacity that also require more resource producing buildings and also here's a bunch of buildings that only serve the purpose of converting one resource to another at an inefficient rate. It's overly complex compared to either spending time and production or gold to get things in Civ and building things that convert resources instead of producing them is just more busy work.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Sounds like of those conversations where everyone is using the word "complicated" but each individual could actually mean any combination of too complicated, un-intuitive, un-engaging, requires too much micro, etc...

It's not actually that complicated. But it is bad for many reasons that most people will just mentally summarize as "complicated".

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nvidiagouge posted:

Not really. The way you acquire and spend a lot of the Civ resources you manage is fairly automated. My food feeds directly into my cities and creates pops, it doesn't collect into this massive pool of multiple other resources I have to constantly build storage for across the galaxy. Then there's the other non-tangible resources like empire sprawl and admin capacity that also require more resource producing buildings and also here's a bunch of buildings that only serve the purpose of converting one resource to another at an inefficient rate. It's overly complex compared to either spending time and production or gold to get things in Civ and building things that convert resources instead of producing them is just more busy work.

Civilization has its own obtuseness problems, like Tourism, Loyalty, and having two different tech trees. But if you're just talking about producing poo poo Stellaris is the simpler game because there is no rush option, things have a time cost and a material cost and that's that. Both games have special resources, in Civilization you have iron and in Stellaris you have dank psychedelic gas.

None of these things are actually complicated, but in both cases it takes a new player a little time to figure out what's going on.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Meme Poker Party posted:

i think DEMD was underrated, but that DLC plan was just horrific. like, $5 for one use pile of credits.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That reminds me vaguely of the LoL feature where you can spend money to give your team of strangers a random skin, during that match only.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Doctor J Off posted:

IMO Pokémon is the slowest and most boring JRPG ever made. It's like if Persona crawled along at a snails pace!!

Everyone talks about games that need an easy mode but Pokémon needs a hard mode that pushes the player to do something, anything, beyond using the super-effective attack to one-shot all the AI's mons.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Destiny 2 has the biggest problem of the expansions being too much money. Otherwise I don't really see a problem with how it works.

Basically, you buy an expansion that comes out. Same as WoW or any other MMO with expansions. Then every three months (except right now because they had to delay the expansion lol) you pay like $15 for the season pass which is your subscription.

I dunno, I kind of prefer it on paper. The big issue is vaulting a lot of content people like because consoles don't have the space for just adding the content, along with the active expansions being kind of pricey despite going in to the archive soon.

If you're gonna remove old content make the new content more affordable. Otherwise if you're gonna charge like $100 for an expansion then don't make people feel like they are obligated otherwise they just keep *losing* content.

Tldr: the season passes are the subscription.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Elentor posted:

That reminds me vaguely of the LoL feature where you can spend money to give your team of strangers a random skin, during that match only.

In lol, when you buy the in game currency, you don't get it in the same amounts that stuff costs, so you always end up with some credits left. This is by design, so that you're like "Well, I've got 884 lolbux, it's not much more to afford a skin, I'll just pay the tenbux to top it up so I can get another 'three' skins, VALUE!". And that's pretty horrid. But then the thing where you can give the team of random strangers a random skin for that match only, uses up those weird denominations that you're left with. So, I mean, yeah its fuckin' scumbaggy, but it's somehow 'less' scumbaggy than it not existing, in a weird, psychomanipulative way? I mean, I dunno, it's just an absolute horrorshow of demented psychology all the way down.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

!Klams posted:

it's just an absolute horrorshow of demented psychology all the way down.

Ladies and gentlemen: video games.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

!Klams posted:

In lol, when you buy the in game currency, you don't get it in the same amounts that stuff costs, so you always end up with some credits left. This is by design, so that you're like "Well, I've got 884 lolbux, it's not much more to afford a skin, I'll just pay the tenbux to top it up so I can get another 'three' skins, VALUE!". And that's pretty horrid. But then the thing where you can give the team of random strangers a random skin for that match only, uses up those weird denominations that you're left with. So, I mean, yeah its fuckin' scumbaggy, but it's somehow 'less' scumbaggy than it not existing, in a weird, psychomanipulative way? I mean, I dunno, it's just an absolute horrorshow of demented psychology all the way down.

I once asked for 1 RP to buy a skin because that's literally how much I needed. Support asked me to tell a funny LoL-related story.

I told of this one time a friend of mine picked Karthus jungler to go against a Platinum team out of dis, long before Karthus jungler was a thing players did. In response to our teammates and I going "oh my god why'd you do that" he said not only would we win but they would not even land a kill on him. I bet a bunch of skins with him that the enemy team would in fact score a kill on him. Somehow he killed the enemy Khazyx jungler on level 2, somehow we in fact won and he did not die once, much to my wallet's disappointment.

Satisfied with my answer, they did give me a pity 1 RP.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mescal posted:

whichever patch it was to AC: Odyssey that made it impossible to kick mercenaries off of cliffs and towers can suck it

broke the game

e: literally a game about the legacy of that guy from 300
how to gently caress things up, the ubi way

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 12, 2021

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Elentor posted:

I once asked for 1 RP to buy a skin because that's literally how much I needed. Support asked me to tell a funny LoL-related story.

I told of this one time a friend of mine picked Karthus jungler to go against a Platinum team out of dis, long before Karthus jungler was a thing players did. In response to our teammates and I going "oh my god why'd you do that" he said not only would we win but they would not even land a kill on him. I bet a bunch of skins with him that the enemy team would in fact score a kill on him. Somehow he killed the enemy Khazyx jungler on level 2, somehow we in fact won and he did not die once, much to my wallet's disappointment.

Satisfied with my answer, they did give me a pity 1 RP.

I've heard of Riot giving the 1 or 2 RP for people that make any kind of effort, which is pretty cool. I've not ever heard of platinum Kazix losing to Karthus lvl2. How did he never die? That's absolutely mad, Karthus kinda has it baked into his kit that he's gonna die, lol.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

!Klams posted:

I've heard of Riot giving the 1 or 2 RP for people that make any kind of effort, which is pretty cool. I've not ever heard of platinum Kazix losing to Karthus lvl2. How did he never die? That's absolutely mad, Karthus kinda has it baked into his kit that he's gonna die, lol.

Checking the e-mail, it was level 3 actually but still, lol.

I have the video somewhere, I can try to find it but it happens offscreen from my pov because I did not think my friend would invade their jungle at level 3 and do that nor did he warn us. Basically I think he finds the khazyx low on health from clearing some jungle monsters and jumps on him and hits every Q. He panics and tries to run away and dies.

At that point we were high challenger and from our pov Plat players were kind of bad but I knew from boosting people to Plat/Diamond that Plat players are usually good at something, and I assumed that the above situation could never happen. I think he panicked, idk.

My friend was laughing the poo poo out due to the absurd situation + incoming skin gifts.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

whichever patch it was to AC: Odyssey that made it impossible to kick mercenaries off of cliffs and towers can suck it

broke the game

e: literally a game about the legacy of that guy from 300
how to gently caress things up, the ubi way

You mean that was intentional that they usually go off to the side and don't fall off? But that's clearly... what that move was meant for... and it's like the first upgrade... it's all i wanted to do in that game

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in
All the talk about rdr2: I might be an idiot, in fact, I'm fairly sure I am, but I like the antagonize button and I hope it's included in horizon forbidden west.

NPC: "May the Suns light guide you"
Aloy: "now say it like you mean it!"

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
you're a good man, arthur

AWWW I AIN'T SO SURE MA'AM

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nvidiagouge posted:

This made me think of Industries of Titan which is a city builder/management game with a really cool aesthetic and sounds like it would be a great game, except literally the entire gameplay loop is mine tier 1 resource -> refine it to tier 2 -> refine that to tier 3 -> build things.

A tier 1 resource translates 1:1 to a tier 3 resource, it just takes time to convert it. A tier 3 resource is exactly the same as a tier 1 resource, but it counts as 25 times as many. All of your resources are finite. So there is no reason to ever, under any circumstances, use tier 1 or tier 2 resources. They exist for the sole purpose of being refined as the only gameplay loop.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Nov 12, 2021

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

This made me think of Industries of Titan which is a city builder/management game with a really cool aesthetic and sounds like it would be a great game, except literally the entire gameplay loop is mine tier 1 resource -> refine it to tier 2 -> refine that to tier 3 -> build things.

A tier 1 resource translates 1:1 to a tier 3 resource, it just takes time to convert it. A tier 3 resource is exactly the same as a tier 1 resource, but it counts as 25 times as many. All of your resources are finite. So there is no reason to ever, under any circumstances, use tier 1 or tier 2 resources. They exist for the sole purpose of being refined as the only gameplay loop.

Stellaris has minerals and alloys. You can build mining stations, planet improvements and research stations with minerals but you need to convert them to alloys to build ships and military stations. Other than a few random events here and there the main source of your alloys is going to be mineral conversion facilitated by conversion buildings taking up slots on your planets. I like Stellaris a lot, it really captures the imagination and allows you to do some ridiculous top-tier sci-fi poo poo in the late game. The path there can be very tedious, though.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I'm enjoying the new battlefield. Nerds get way too worked up over a game that has zero competitive scene and is just supposed to be dumb fun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

I'm enjoying the new battlefield. Nerds get way too worked up over a game that has zero competitive scene and is just supposed to be dumb fun

I haven't played the new one at all and the reason for that is exactly the series seem to stop doing a good job at being dumb fun.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Wait wtf the game isn't even out yet. Why are you talking about it like it's been buried lol.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

It came out tonight and previously people have been pretty down on it after playing the beta

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Youtubers are gonna be hungry to make 25 minute videos making GBS threads on it, because that's where the money is. My favourite FPS youtuber is Jackfrags because he is good but he's not arrogant about it and he tends to avoid the general cynicism of video game dudes, its as though he actually enjoys them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got confused and thought it was halo infinite that came out today :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I love the mechanics and immersion of Il-2 Great Battles, but the fact that its campaign design is literally less sophisticated than Wing Commander from loving 1990 is kind of pathetic.