Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

"THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED" says the QVC shill on the line, LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I assume some of you have read of this/remember this back in the day, but I just bumped into this one and uh...

:toxx: posted:

On 21 October a cesium-137 source was stolen from a radioactive waste facility by three brothers. One of them had picked up the source when it fell out of a metal block and placed it in his jacket pocket. He took the source to his home and hung his jacket, containing the source, in a hallway, already feeling ill. On 25 October he was hospitalized and died 2 November; the cause of death was diagnosed as kidney failure, and no radiation injury was recognized at this time.

On 9 November the man's stepson found the source in the jacket and moved it to a kitchen drawer. On 17 November the child was hospitalized with burns which were recognized as radiation burns by hospital staff. The staff notified authorities, who found the source in the house on 18 November. The man who carried the source home received a 183,000 rad dose to his thigh and a 4,000 rad whole-body dose. Of the other perpetrators, one received a 1,200-2,000 rad dose to his hands, causing injury and the other a whole body dose of less than 100 rad, causing mild radiation sickness.

The three other residents of the house were injured: the child received a dose of 360-400 rads, with localized dose to the hands of 2,500 rad, requiring amputation of the fingers on one hand; the man's mother received a whole body dose of 225-400 rad and developed moderate radiation sickness, and the man's wife received a whole body dose of 50-100 rad. A dog that slept near the source indoors also died. Investigators reconstructed doses in locations around the house and narrowed down the timetable of the source's location based on thermoluminescence analysis of household ceramic pots, along with electron spin resonance analysis of medicines and sugars.

:yikes: That last sentence is cool though, why don't they ever do electron spin resonance analysis in CSI??

Here's also a video of the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxPlPEdGrdc

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Nenonen posted:

I assume some of you have read of this/remember this back in the day, but I just bumped into this one and uh...

:yikes: That last sentence is cool though, why don't they ever do electron spin resonance analysis in CSI??

Here's also a video of the accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxPlPEdGrdc

Sounds a lot like the Goiania incident, but much less deadly.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goi%C3%A2nia_accident

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

LifeSunDeath posted:

"THAT HAS NEVER HAPPENED" says the QVC shill on the line, LOL.

lol that was my first reaction too, very natural response, totally a normal regular customer calling to let you know how great the ladder is

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Baldwin's got the solution on how to prevent him from shooting more people:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWBHBpWrhPs/

Does anyone want to tell him? Someone should tell him.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Phanatic posted:

I can't believe they just had a bunch of non-blank rounds and regular guns just kind of mixed in with the blank guns and also the blank guns were loaded all wrong and poo poo...like every day on the set everyone was playing russian roulette but they weren't told they were playing it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

LifeSunDeath posted:

I can't believe they just had a bunch of non-blank rounds and regular guns just kind of mixed in with the blank guns and also the blank guns were loaded all wrong and poo poo...like every day on the set everyone was playing russian roulette but they weren't told they were playing it.

as far as I can make out the gun used couldn't be made blank (don't ask me how tho)

what makes it go from terrifying osha to manslaughter osha is the armorer (or someone handling the guns) bringing real bullets on set and firing the guns for fun. Imagine the thought process where you go from "heck yes shot the poo poo out of those beer cans" to "here you go mr baldwin your blank firearm" with the same gun

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Phanatic posted:

"
"Tragic events unfolded today as the supervising police officer on set, intending to hand a taser to an actor, instead handed them a fully loaded revolver......"

"When contacted for comment, the police union responded, "Oopsy daisy""

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

champagne posting posted:

as far as I can make out the gun used couldn't be made blank (don't ask me how tho)

what makes it go from terrifying osha to manslaughter osha is the armorer (or someone handling the guns) bringing real bullets on set and firing the guns for fun. Imagine the thought process where you go from "heck yes shot the poo poo out of those beer cans" to "here you go mr baldwin your blank firearm" with the same gun

It's staggeringly irresponsible. I've known college student goons who were more responsible with their guns.

When you're a hypothetical firearms professional and make a a ca-2006 neckbeard who spends half their day posting opinions about anime look a paragon of gun safety while shooting produce with a clapped out Mosin in a quarry, something is extremely hosed up.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Now that's a pro

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

champagne posting posted:

the only reason there were live rounds on set is because the armorer was allowing people to gently caress around and target shoot with the guns for fun. she was of the opinion that "guns are cool" and she needed to be a firearms advocate while also trying to oversee firearms safety on set

the gun itself was just a revolver, it could fire blank rounds. baldwin's statement about cops being present must be some PR rehab stuff ("middle america loves cops! you can't hurt your heartland appeal, they're loving the hypocritical anti-gun hollywood actor shoots someone dead angle!"). firearms are dangerous enough to use that a well run production will have a single person specifically responsible for only the firearms on set, and maintain constant awareness of where the gun is and what state it is in. its like lighting a stuntperson on fire, this is wildly dangerous stuff but it can be done correctly if everyone involved is paying attention and doing their job. there's no reason to have firefighters on set for this sort of thing because they won't know any more about lighting people on fire than the dedicated fire-stunt production staff will, and your average cop isn't going to know as much about firearm safety as a skilled and competent film industry armorer

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

your average cop isn't going to know as much about firearm safety as a skilled and competent film industry armorer

Demonstrably significantly less.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bad Munki posted:

"
"Tragic events unfolded today as the supervising police officer on set, intending to hand a taser to an actor, instead handed them a fully loaded revolver......"

That's too active of a voice.

"A fully loaded revolver ended up in the hands of an actor in the vicinity of a supervising police officer."

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

poo poo, you're right. Anyhow, the actor will be charged with assaulting the officer and resisting arrest.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bad Munki posted:

"

I'm pretty sure the cops are going to want to do all the murdering themselves, though? It's probably in the union contract.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Cop hands prop gun to actor, immediately empties his own clip into the actor because “he had a gun”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1458877972182536194?s=20
https://twitter.com/tomaskenn/status/1457729727435788288?s=20

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's not like the supreme court isn't in the process of removing the ability to delegate policy making which would effectively end OSHA, the EPA, basically every regulatory body. Florida is just starting early

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

secede from the union you cowards

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2f3bygZts1qigfjt.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jesus Crept

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

This recording has the sound of lava flowing and it is loving cool. Right-click to enable sound.

https://i.imgur.com/2YjqR9K.mp4

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Сам

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

new station of the cross just dropped

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Jesus looks like a rural dirtbag and his cross is made of hardware store dimensional lumber

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

This really escalated and almost got out of hand.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
A few more hours and there won’t be worries about losing his grip on it, at least

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Florida withdrawing from OSHA sounds like a really good way to get a poo poo load of federal funding pulled.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the only reason there were live rounds on set is because the armorer was allowing people to gently caress around and target shoot with the guns for fun. she was of the opinion that "guns are cool" and she needed to be a firearms advocate while also trying to oversee firearms safety on set

Reminds me of a long ago school report I had to do on nukes.

wiki posted:

Under the Atomic Energy Act of 1954, a single agency, the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission, had responsibility for the development and production of nuclear weapons and for both the development and the safety regulation of the civilian uses of nuclear materials.

Who in the class can tell me what's wrong with these?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Entropic posted:

Cop hands prop gun to black actor, immediately empties his own clip into the actor because “he had a gun”

FTFY

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kith posted:

This recording has the sound of lava flowing and it is loving cool. Right-click to enable sound.

lol

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
A true and proper adapter

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_r2dbccNZnQ1r0uzl6.mp4

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Hell of a trail there.

https://twitter.com/WorldBollard/status/1458755830099193856

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Kith posted:

I thought this video was sped up until I saw the people walking. That vast amount of molten rock traveling that fast is absolutely terrifying. I've seen video of lava explosions and videos of lava flows, but never one of a raging torrent of that magnitude and speed.

Sound was horrifying as well.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

I guess they don't have to worry about oiling the bollard any time soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
From that same twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1458499600877244425

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Does the Florida "leadership" know theres like way faster meathods to destroy your state and murder everyone in it, like just have a good ol Purge or three. Or like everyone just walk into the Everglades and let the gators have you.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Can it do 4K @ 120 gpm?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Mushika posted:

I thought this video was sped up until I saw the people walking. That vast amount of molten rock traveling that fast is absolutely terrifying. I've seen video of lava explosions and videos of lava flows, but never one of a raging torrent of that magnitude and speed.

Sound was horrifying as well.
It is sped up, but only the top half.
Actually probably not but that would be a good trick.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Now that's a pro

Watching this and getting poop my pants excited like the kid in the pink sweatshirt