Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Shame Boy posted:

Holy moly

Can I ask a genuine if completely weird and personal and unrelated question: Do you emit old person smell? Can you smell your own old person smell?

My mom is in her mid-70's and I've just started to notice it and it's just this kinda weird reminder that time comes for us all and I really do not want to ask her about it cuz she's my mom.
thank you for asking so i didn't have to.

The Artificial Kid posted:

I’ve actually been around a bit since last year. I remember you.
yes i'm very memorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Shame Boy posted:

Welcome to 2021, where everything is earnest even if you don't mean it to be

There's no way you're posting this bad in earnest

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

the avatars of yore

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

pillsburysoldier posted:

What animes should i be watching?

Lowtax's funeral thread having anime discussion would have been something he'd have hated

Duck
Dec 9, 2000

Prepare for the end.
Hi. Old timer here to say the internet lost a founding father of trolling today. regardless of the opinions of anyone now. Pouring out a Michelob Ultra for my homies here.

Uppa posted:

Posting for posterity. My condolences to his children. If you ever read this, nobody is a cartoon villain. While your dad was unquestionably not a good man, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t capable of wanting to be, or of loving you.

Better words than mine to express my thoughts. I still love the Lowtax from my reg date today.

Mods change my name to Lowtax plz I hear it’s available

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I appreciate that Lowtax wasn't intelligent enough to properly monetize this site.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Do u think loxtax voted for trump

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Mediocrity succeeds in spite of himself, watches that success slip away, then spends the better part of two decades embittered and hurting those close to him.

I spent my childhood in a home with an abusive loser whose best days were behind him. Almost 30 years later that cocksucker still lives in my head rent free. It's horrible that Lowtax's kids lost their father, but hopefully they'll be spared some measure of further grief because of the man their father was, and who he was incapable of being.

RIP

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

Eason the Fifth posted:

Everyone did

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

in lieu of flowers please buy these NFTs made from old Dear Richard letters

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Hey I hope everyone coming back for the taxman's final act stays around, the forums are definitely better under Jeff than they were under lowtax's absentee landlordship. poo poo the first thing that happened was thread search was implemented after years of being told it was impossible

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Lowtax's funeral thread having anime discussion would have been something he'd have hated

Just watch Ranma, no discussion needed

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TenementFunster posted:

yes, that was it exactly. at ton of adtrw weebs loved of the 2chan "vibe" so making an english version seemed natural. years later, we all learned a valuable lesson about internet anonymity and the importance of adequate moderation.

that's the one! thanks. i can't believe i'm typing this, but would it be worth it to make an NFT as a way to raise money for the lowtax kids? i (think) i have notcatfish's government name as it appears on the back of the piece, so maybe i could get into contact with them as well? if it's for a good cause, i could even get a better scan (if that even maters to NFT freaks).

notcatfish is busy posting about jacking off to children on the ycs offsite. good luck

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
I was hoping to face Richard personally on the battlefield, one gentleman warrior to another, in respectful combat. Then I would snap his spine. Ah. The road not taken.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

Bust Rodd posted:

All these 20 year old reg dates returning to post like prehistoric mastodons laying an old diseased bull to rest in the elephant graveyard

My 20 year old account was goatse banned. This is the best I can do do

Vakal
May 11, 2008
All this Lowtax nostalgia made me think of Planet Quake and it turns out the site is still up.

http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View452e.html?view=POTD.Detail&id=374

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

rivetz posted:

Yeah truth be told I never found much of Lowtax's writing that funny, though I never said so out of general courtesy. Too much of it boiled down to endless riffs on "look how stupid [site/person/thing] is"; I've certainly composed my share of that stuff both here and elsewhere, but it's pretty low-hanging fruit imo. I don't find it inspiring to write and I'd rather compose fuckin Hallmark cards than have to crank it out daily like he did

I'm one of the oldest goons out there (turn 78 next month) and I'm not sure how to feel about this news. I met Lowtax three or four times over the years and he always seemed like a nice enough dude, so hearing about all this reprehensible behavior that's been disclosed over the last couple years has been dispiriting. It's always hard to weigh personal experiences vs poo poo you read online. My response has been pretty apathetic. Sucks he was an rear end in a top hat, thanks for the website, condolences to the family

how low do your balls hang

Orenthal
Apr 14, 2008

I got 99 problems but a bitc 98 problems
are we finally done thanking him for doing one thing decades ago and burning everything to the ground at every opportunity since
imagine how different of a legacy he'd have left if uwe finished the job

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

felons can't vote

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

pillsburysoldier posted:

What animes should i be watching?

My Senpai is Annoying! is my fave this season

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Jazzzzz posted:

Mediocrity succeeds in spite of himself, watches that success slip away, then spends the better part of two decades embittered and hurting those close to him.

As Ken Kesey used to say, "Cream rises, poo poo floats."

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

HonorableTB posted:

Hey I hope everyone coming back for the taxman's final act stays around, the forums are definitely better under Jeff than they were under lowtax's absentee landlordship. poo poo the first thing that happened was thread search was implemented after years of being told it was impossible

Imagine if the site gets 5x the membership because of L dying.

What a world

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pillsburysoldier posted:

Scroll back a bit and we were talking in earnest about fursuits

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
How do I invest in SA on the stock market or in nft’s or the blockchain or something

Aug 22, 2003

Stop it, you're killing me.

Bust Rodd posted:

All these 20 year old reg dates returning to post like prehistoric mastodons laying an old diseased bull to rest in the elephant graveyard

Quoting this so I can see my reg date. RIP lontax

great2bgreat!
Jan 17, 2003

fierce bears
Huh.

Well. Bye.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Unintentionally and undeservedly, Lowtax and his brand of comedy was one of the most influential of our times.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

great2bgreat! posted:

Huh.

Well. Bye.

God bless

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam
Hope his wife and kids are okay

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

https://i.imgur.com/H2PWTd2.mp4

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
its so nice to see such old and familiar faces, too bad a man had to die for it

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Shame Boy posted:

Didn't this site for the longest time just kinda buy his narrative that through no fault of his own he just kept accidentally getting involved with crazy lying women

Yeah, kinda. Fortunately for his victims, that seems to have changed.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Threw 20 bucks in the pot

Agrinja posted:

Hope his exes and kids are okay

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

metaxus posted:

I joined SA in 2003. Flew to Sydney in 2004 when Lowtax came to Australia for a goonmeet. He bought us all enough beer by the end of the night (using a Mastercard with the name Something Awful, LLC on it) to more than make up for having to pay for our forum memberships. He and I chatted for a bit, and he gave me his business card, which I still have somewhere. There were so many in-jokes that night, and Rich certainly seemed like a funny guy who didn't take anything too seriously.

By the small hours of the morning, we ended up on the beach in Coogee drunkenly singing Thank You for being Pipebomb, and by the end of the whole thing, I walked away thinking the guy was somewhat of an internet legend.

It's a shame that things went so far downhill for him in the years following... I certainly don't agree with how he treated his wives, nor do I agree with what an rear end in a top hat he was to the forum collective towards the end. Things started a general downhill slide after the Uwe Boll fight - Getting literally hit with the results of your own hubris hurts, and hurts hard.

I do agree that him selling the forums and IP was an excellent idea. He just didn't give a gently caress anymore and it showed. I suppose that when you start something and it organically grows into what SA became over all those years, it must really mess with your head and this is the result.

If nothing else, the man certainly did his part to shape the nascent days of the internet, and he spawned a long-standing community that I've been a part of for almost half my life, and his legacy in that regard is worth remembering.

The rest of his legacy however, that's on him and the choices he made.

I feel for his children and his ex-wives, but at least he's taken his demons with him.

yea it’s clear he had no interest or aptitude for running a business. it was probably a lot of fun for him early on, but the success of it caught up with him back in the aughts sometime. i remember even years ago, small businesses wanted to buy ad space in the banners, and he wouldn’t even return their emails. literally couldnt be bothered to get paid

which too bad so sad, we should all be so lucky as to fall rear end backwards into a very lucrative business

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Regardless of his character, he started a legendary forum. Separate the artist from the art I guess.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Wow, this feels weird. Although i've only registered recently, i did lurk a lot between 2003 and 2010 or so, and i enjoyed the dickhead humor a lot as an edgy teen. Keyboard goop and the nasty bachelor apartments are etched into my memory. Laughed at certain things i would come to actually really like some 15 years later and now i feel stupid about making GBS threads on them.
Seems like quite a lot of people here went through the same process.

And now it feels like i've read through a whole chapter of the internet and it's ended, if that makes any sense. It makes me feel old and mortal. I wonder what SA will look like in another 20 years. I hope it still will be that one weird, technically obsolete forum that just keeps chugging on.

Anyway, kinda sucks that it's yet another suicide. There are too many of those. Although i fully believe the folks who say he was a horrible and abusive person (and i think such people definitely should face the consequences of such behavior), it kinda felt like a punch in the gut when i read it.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Uppa posted:

Posting for posterity. My condolences to his children. If you ever read this, nobody is a cartoon villain. While your dad was unquestionably not a good man, that doesn’t mean he wasn’t capable of wanting to be, or of loving you.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pillsburysoldier posted:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Rip Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Bust Rodd posted:

No matter what happens, no matter how insane it may seem, no matter how hard it gets

Just keep posting through it

:justpost: