Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'm poor, and I also usually do it while I'm still trying to wake up and not useful for anything else.

edit: a shameful snipe, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Hell yeah, you bet I'm gonna spend my time doing tedious poo poo to get free access to games that I'll never play

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I'll come to your house in the middle of the night and play loud music if you don't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I've been weary of gamepass on pc ever since someone told me they ended up with a corrupted install of flight simulator and because of the encrypted file system poo poo they are completely unable to uninstall it or even just delete the folder it's in so now they have a 70gb hole in their hd

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

site posted:

I've been weary of gamepass on pc ever since someone told me they ended up with a corrupted install of flight simulator and because of the encrypted file system poo poo they are completely unable to uninstall it or even just delete the folder it's in so now they have a 70gb hole in their hd

You can get around the encrypted file system bullshit by launching a Powershell prompt with IIRC System permissions, I had to do that to get rid of a corrupted Slay the Spire install a few years back. It's a pain but you can totally go in there and delete stuff or move stuff around if you need.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

szary posted:

Hell yeah, you bet I'm gonna spend my time doing tedious poo poo to get free access to games that I'll never play

Man, that sums up my past year or two launching EGS once a week to claim free games and only ever playing like 3 of them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

szary posted:

You’re describing this whole thread

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Xander77 posted:

Um... where are you supposed to receive the steam key? Didn't get it by mail, not in the spam folder either.

Looks like they ran out of keys and changed the language on the website to just "sign up for our newsletter!" instead of "sign up and get a free game!"

site posted:

It's not actually encrypted or impossible to access, it's just a huge pain in the rear end.
You have to gently caress around with the windows permissions management and change the "owner" of a few folders to yourself and then you'll be able to look inside.
I had to do that back when the MS Store was loving up with PSO2 and creating a 70+gb invisible backup of the entire game.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 10, 2021

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

chglcu posted:

Pretty sure that works out to working for less than minimum wage to get that “free” game pass. I suppose if you don’t have the money otherwise, that’s fine, but for most people it seems like it wouldn’t be worth it.

you mean like

not being online?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Steamworld Dig 2 is free on GOG

https://www.gog.com/game/steamworld_dig_2

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

This is a good get, thanks!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Also on Steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/571310/SteamWorld_Dig_2/

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Xander77 posted:

Um... where are you supposed to receive the steam key? Didn't get it by mail, not in the spam folder either.

I only got it today in my email after their stream.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The title was "2 Free Games as a thank you for watching Thunderful World ⚡🌍"

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

site posted:

I mean, yes, but you should be reformatting every once in a while anyway. It's like taking a bath for the first time in several weeks, you feel clean and amazing but then you remember those non-portable applications/realize how much you've let yourself go, then the next thing you know 4 hours have passed and all your old software is reinstalled/all your body hair is gone, and you know in the back of your mind that you could have spent all that time better by being less neurotic in some capacity, probably, but somebody had to do something about it eventually.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The last two times I upgraded my pc / switched hard drives I just copied the entire appdata folder over so I wouldn't need to think about which programs had local saved data that I wanted to keep

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I do that too, but I found that copying the Microsoft folder in it causes problems. It's great installing my old programs again and having them on the same settings like I never left them, though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

treat posted:

I mean, yes, but you should be reformatting every once in a while anyway. It's like taking a bath for the first time in several weeks, you feel clean and amazing but then you remember those non-portable applications/realize how much you've let yourself go, then the next thing you know 4 hours have passed and all your old software is reinstalled/all your body hair is gone, and you know in the back of your mind that you could have spent all that time better by being less neurotic in some capacity, probably, but somebody had to do something about it eventually.

Personally I would rather just not be in a position where a hosed install forced me to reformat

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was interested for two reasons: firstly, I wanted to try Age of Empires IV, which I tried elsewhere and it turned out to be 'another AoE game, of which I have the other three, but with higher-resolution graphics'. Secondly, I wanted to try Halo Wars 2 because the bastards never released it on any other platforms.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I've been installing and running games off the xbox client for like the last two years, including PSO2 which was the most notorious hard drive fucker, and have multiple friends who have done the same without running into corrupted install issues.

Like it absolutely exists and can happen but it's not like you're flipping a coin every time you install a game and if you lose Bill Gates shoots your hard drive with an EMP.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Sorry for derailing the thread even further, but apparently Microsoft are removing the folder obfuscation fuckery altogether, proving me even more wrong.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

A good poster posted:

Sorry for derailing the thread even further, but apparently Microsoft are removing the folder obfuscation fuckery altogether, proving me even more wrong.

This is a huge, huge deal because it will blow the modding scene for gamepass games wide open and almost assuredly let them use the same mods every other version does.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I thought blocking access to the games' folders was necessary because you're not buying the games. It'll be much easier to pay a dollar for a month's subscription, download as many games as you can, back them up, crack them, and cancel your subscription and let the app delete the original copies of the games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

A good poster posted:

I thought blocking access to the games' folders was necessary because you're not buying the games. It'll be much easier to pay a dollar for a month's subscription, download as many games as you can, back them up, crack them, and cancel your subscription and let the app delete the original copies of the games.

You can already download and crack games, OP.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

you can also already do that with steam if you really want to, buy game, copy files, refund game, plug files into steam emulator

but nobody does that because it's more effort than just getting :filez: the old fashioned way

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

A good poster posted:

thank christ, I'm one of the people who had terrible problems with installs and uninstalls messing up constantly, I'd love to subscribe again if this fixes all that poo poo

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Davedave24 posted:

thank christ, I'm one of the people who had terrible problems with installs and uninstalls messing up constantly, I'd love to subscribe again if this fixes all that poo poo

Yeah, Its currently not worth the effort of dealing with a folder that requires jumping through a bunch of hoops to do anything with.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

A good poster posted:

Officially confirmed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea4-mxDSz6I

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sounds like an issue that only people that play games would have.

:thunk:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
This steamworld game is pretty fun. Terrible name though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ilmucche posted:

This steamworld game is pretty fun. Terrible name though

it makes a little more sense when you know it's an entire game series across different genres

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SteamWorld

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

A good poster posted:

Forza Horizon 5 and AOE 4 were cracked the same day they released.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Forza Horizon 5 and AOE 4 were cracked the same day they released.

Both of those are also on Steam, the cracked versions are probably based on that version

It's not impossible to crack the obfuscated Windows store packages but it is annoying, Horizon 4 launched as a Windows store exclusive and while it did get cracked the cracks were very unstable

IIRC aside from random crashing, the crack also only worked on specific versions of Windows 10 so updating the OS could break it

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 11, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
that radiohead thing is going to be free on epic next week

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

JustJeff88 posted:

I just checked U-Play, or whatever they call it now, for the first time in a long time and I had forgotten that I had Watch Dogs 2.

I am very tempted to try XBox game pass, largely because I have not owned any MS console since the original X. Does anyone have a link to an accurate list of the games available on PC? I've tried to look and they seem oddly evasive about that.

Bit late but https://gamepassport.net is pretty handy and it's updated regularly, just filter by the platform you need.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
that's neat. I spent a lot of time toying around on radiohead's website when those albums were current and iguess it was cool making a 144p idioteque music video play in flash by clicking on little crying goblins or whatever. truly it is art

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Rinkles posted:

that radiohead thing is going to be free on epic next week

I think guild of dungeoneering was made by a goon

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A LOVELY LAD posted:

I think guild of dungeoneering was made by a goon

I've thoroughly enjoyed completing GoD many times, so well done, goon person. :tipshat:

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
There's a free giveaway for all the champions in Battlerite if anyone is still interested in that game. It gets a decent amount of people in casual matchmaking still.
https://game.intel.com/ww/giveaways/battlerite-all-champions-pack-key-giveaway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
So was the Steamworld thing just a couple hours or something? I hopped on tonight and both storefronts are back for sale.