Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

10 years and you can finally loot a body. And so many people don't find this unusual.

This is the kind of emergent gameplay I’ve been waiting for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

I mean... yes? That's the whole reason this place exists at all, is that people found Jeff K and Leonard Crabs funny.

I was here for the :filez:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I joined for Eve Online and then played it for like 2 weeks before giving up. Still here though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Without mechanics to prevent lots of players in the same place large shards with lots of players on the same place won't be possible.

Ah, but you see, this is exactly what CIG intended and said they would be doing all along! Don't know why anyone is surprised by this.

- actual responses in that thread on Spectrum

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Khanstant posted:

isn't this growth extremely predictable, at least for the time being? like we also have some abstract or maybe actual math idea of how much more numbers chips in 5 years should be handling

It's a mystery as ancient as time itself. Just look at how difficult it was back in the '90s:

In particular…

An absolute idiot in 1993 reminiscing about 1990 posted:

For us to pull this off in software, we know we had to make some risky assumptions. First, that the power-to-price ratio of PCs would continue to decline, thereby delivering affordable PCs of adequate speed to our target market. Second, and more importantly, that the same forces that had created a demand for Wing Commander — those power-hungry 386 owners — would generate a demand for games that exploited the next generation of PCs, the 486.
Very risky assumptions, those.

Especially since, at the time when the game in question was conceived of and this “risky assumption” was made, 486es was not next-gen — they were already out and established in the market, and the actual next-gen Pentium processor had already been announced. Coincidentally, by the time that manual page was written, the Pentium itself had been released, making 486s not just not next-gen, but last-gen.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

The Titanic posted:

Here's a good scene where Chris Roberts shows his knowledge.

Here he's teaching a guy who clearly knows how computers work what it's like to be an end user.

Chris Roberts: End User

More like Rear End User...

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
We're ready for our mocap, Mr Crobbler

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

I love how CR is convinced that he was the first person to think that Gouraud shading and texture mapping could be used in gaming.

But I think I love even more that he can't draw the obvious conclusion when he 1) has the idea first (in his imaginary world, but still) 2) has an advanced stage demo showcasing the idea and 3) the competition sees the demo and beats him to release despite his headstart.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to wipe the tears of laughter off my face and keyboard. Strike Commander: an industry-shattering flight simulator... :lol:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Has anyone suggested that Star Citizen servers run on Starlink satellites? As in, literally have the servers on the satellites themselves?

If not, I feel like this is an excellent line of bullshit to get the Citizens hyped up about.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Sammus posted:

Has anyone suggested that Star Citizen servers run on Starlink satellites? As in, literally have the servers on the satellites themselves?

If not, I feel like this is an excellent line of bullshit to get the Citizens hyped up about.

Cooling will be easy!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FishMcCool posted:

I love how CR is convinced that he was the first person to think that Gouraud shading and texture mapping could be used in gaming.

But I think I love even more that he can't draw the obvious conclusion when he 1) has the idea first (in his imaginary world, but still) 2) has an advanced stage demo showcasing the idea and 3) the competition sees the demo and beats him to release despite his headstart.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have to wipe the tears of laughter off my face and keyboard. Strike Commander: an industry-shattering flight simulator... :lol:

Just to quote myself from a post, long long ago:

Tippis posted:

Note how he goes on about goraud-shaded polygonal models as if they were so insanely advanced it couldn't really be done yet.
Note that he calls the assumption that the power-to-price ratio of PCs would continue to decline a “risky” proposition.
Note that he mentions CES 1991 as the moment he accidentally tipped off the industry about the ability to use these fancy features.
Note that the actual game didn't come out until 1993.

Falcon 3.0 was released in 1991 (before CES) and featured goraud shading and texture mapping.
In 1993, before Strike Commander came out, SEGA would release it's Model 2, which featured hardware-accelerated goraud shading and texture mapping. They had been working on it long before that. There was some other things coming out in 1993 too, but they probably aren't as important.
In 1993, it was such a familiar technique that drunken Finnish louts in a loft were doing it in their spare time.

Also note that the 286 had come out in 1982, offering more power-to-price than the 8086/8088; that 386 had come out in 1985, offering more power-to-price than the 286; that the 486 had come out in 1989, offering more power-to-price than the 386; that the Pentium came out in 1993, offering more power-to-price than the 486; that there are primordial sea weed with no semblance of a nervous system that are better at pattern recognition than Mr. Risky Roberts here.

Chris has been singing the same song for almost 30 years now. It is always technology lagging behind him, somehow, even though what he's doing is — at best — contemporary with what everyone else is doing. The only difference is that those other people actually succeed and he does not.

…and also from a different post:

Tippis posted:

Hardware-wise, we had a generation shift with the Sega Mega CD, Atari Jaguar, 3DO, Amiga CD32, and — perhaps most interestingly — the Sega Model 2 system. It is interesting because of one particular feature: its hardware-accelerated texturing and shading, supporting among other things… Gouraud shading of polygonal models. No matter how much Chris wants to strut his stuff over the '91 CES demo, no, Sega did not look at what some niche-genre dev on PC did and invented custom hardware to do the same thing in the year and a half between the expo and the system release. This was a parallel process that was happing industry-wide, all at the same time because the time was right.

Oh, and a tiny little chip manufacturer that was probably not worth mentioning released something called the “Pentium”? And across town in Santa Clara, a bunch of upstarts got together to form a company called nVidia…

So yeah, 1993 was an insane year as far as pushing the games industry forward. For all his bluster, Chris Roberts was not relevant to that development. He was doing his own thing, breaking budgets and being second (or third) on the ball like always, way out in the periphery. This would also be the only sensible explanation for the downright obscurantist idea that PC hardware might not continue on the trajectory set by the 386 (from 1985) and 486 (released in 1989). Coincidentally, note that he believes that higher performance combined with lower cost yields a lower performance-to-price ratio. loving idiot.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sammus posted:

Some Citizens could probably even talk themselves into believing that the satellites would be offered to Star Citizen for free, since the amazing worldwide demand for this game would give Starlink so much great publicity. (Not to mention the fact that actually launching things into space takes far, far less time, money, and effort than making Star Citizen does!)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol pretty much all backers are now "of course we were expecting regular instanced shards, that was always the plan. To me everything they described is what I understood they were going for". :laffo: what happened to CIG's never-seen-before dynamic server meshing? oh, it was always regular instances, that have taken about a decade to create.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

cirus posted:

Cooling will be easy!

Imagine the selling points: It’s all in the Cloud!* Server Meshing!** Faster servers than anything on earth!***

*Literally!
**Starlink satellites are meshed!
***Relative to the ground speed of the racks at an Amazon server farm.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

NEW MEDICAL GAMEPLAY*

*reskins a laser gun, copies the weapon.calculateDamage function and swaps all the '-' for '+'

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

star citizen: full life consequences

It really gets me how that trailer shows a bunch of people getting one-shot and then MEDICAL GAMEPLAY

how many hours of medical gameplay do you need before you return to the fight to get one shot again

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
i logged into the verse'

i spent a little over an hour trying to take off my medical gown to put on my nipplejet suit and helmet only to realize the window i need to de-equip someting was bugged out and didn't exist and my items were in a global container on a different planet that could be summoned into a box in my hands

didn't work, gave up, alt f4'ed forever

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

text editor posted:

NEW MEDICAL GAMEPLAY*

*reskins a laser gun, copies the weapon.calculateDamage function and swaps all the '-' for '+'

How long have they been naming updates?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I don't remember them naming any of them previously, this seems like a new thing.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PoisedEnchantedBoubou-mobile.mp4

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Wow wtf...

Every rooster I've ever known was a complete bastard.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sammus posted:

**Starlink satellites are meshed!

Much like star citizen; starlinks meshing is tier 0.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

cirus posted:

Cooling will be easy!

Isn’t cooling in space hard because there isn’t an easy place to dump energy?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jyE46u8Qrw

I gave this a watch. These guys have been... very practical so far. They're revamping all the dumbass systems like holy poo poo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

In a vacuum you need a medium. You could handwave it and dump heat it into a red hot disk, or photons, or some kind of radiation.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Indeed. That's also one of the reasons why there's no stealth in space, since heat can be detected, anything you do will generate heat, and it'll take you ages to fully dissipate it even if you go "cold" after a burn (while the enemy has likely tracked your burn, and is accurately simulating where you are now while "in stealth").

Breaking radiators is good fun in Children of a Dead Earth and every space sim fan should play it. But of course, CoaDE doesn't have dogfighting, trading or medical gameplay...

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

FishMcCool posted:

I liked Strike Commander back in 1993 :shrug: But I don't remember being thrilled about the gameplay or graphics. Comanche, on the other hand, was awesome in that respect. What I liked about Strike Commander was the atmosphere - the cutscenes, the music, the story with your crew. Yeah, it was formulaic, but 1993 was before the internet, so as a fourteen-year-old, I didn't realize that. Same goes for Wing Commander I and II. The story and the atmosphere were good at that time.
I guess Chris Roberts had the advantage of having a few good ideas in a very small industry back in the days. If he joined gaming development today, he'd probably stay obscure.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Indeed, those giant white panels near solar panels on ISS are heat radiators.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

no_recall posted:

I gave this a watch. These guys have been... very practical so far. They're revamping all the dumbass systems like holy poo poo.

at least their dev's now know how to dogfight in aircraft simulator.
this will help em balance star citizen

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

no_recall posted:

The move to Elite Dangerous 2014 flight model and systems picks up pace. Early days.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Yeah I was being facetious since that's the kind of thing the citizens would tout as a selling point.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

So that's like 4 years of development on server technology.
Man, imagine if they had actually planned any of this when they started development! They would have been done 5 years ago!

Mirificus posted:

[EDIT] My feeling is that the crypto mining thing is actually good for players. There are no games that actually use the horsepower of the current gen of GPU's beyond silly frame rates for benchmarking

Exhibit #6000 of citizens revealing that they don't play games. With a 3090 you'll be getting very nice framerates in most things but there are plenty of examples where running something maxed out at 4k will get you just 'good' framerates. And that's the 3090.
The mid-range and lower cards can struggle in 4k or even 1440p in certain games.

I mean the whole theory of the post is stupid anyway, but it's just egregious how they make these declarations that are so obviously wrong.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizen: You can't always get what you want. But you can wait for it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85gwqh

I am struggling with hosting today. Password is parp

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

"are you a chocobo?"

"i don't know, maybe"

"lets try that!"

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Blackstone posted:

I liked Strike Commander back in 1993 :shrug: But I don't remember being thrilled about the gameplay or graphics. Comanche, on the other hand, was awesome in that respect. What I liked about Strike Commander was the atmosphere - the cutscenes, the music, the story with your crew. Yeah, it was formulaic, but 1993 was before the internet, so as a fourteen-year-old, I didn't realize that. Same goes for Wing Commander I and II. The story and the atmosphere were good at that time.
I guess Chris Roberts had the advantage of having a few good ideas in a very small industry back in the days. If he joined gaming development today, he'd probably stay obscure.

while i played wing commander 1 on an amiga, my cousin then showed me wing commander 2 with speech, on his 486 66Mhz, Soundblaster and all hooked up to his storeo with giant loudspeakers.
needless to say i was really really FLABBERGASTED

I may mix up my timeline here, but that was also the time when we played virtua racing and daytona usa in the arcades and then i went home and there was the amiga.
but the PC was something else, it was mighty cool.

It was indeed a magical time then, the switch to PCs with the soundcards. So many games that came out then had this effect where I was stunned and i WANTED TO HAVE A PC TOO

(like i said I may mix up some stuff here but there is a time where there was the old 16bit stuff, arcades, and then PCs and the 32bit consoles round the corner and that was an awesome time! that was my woodstock)

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wow wtf...

He's the Drizzzit of roosters.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

nawledgelambo posted:

i logged into the verse'

i spent a little over an hour trying to take off my medical gown to put on my nipplejet suit and helmet only to realize the window i need to de-equip someting was bugged out and didn't exist and my items were in a global container on a different planet that could be summoned into a box in my hands

didn't work, gave up, alt f4'ed forever

same
tried to go to some place on the other side of the planet, ship decided that through the planet's core was the shortest route, died.
i spawned in the hospital, but trying to get off the bed made stuck me to the floor, lying down and looking at my feet. couldn't do anything, could only fix it by quitting.
then tried to do a mission, my ship blew up randomly on the way there, alt f4

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Pixelate posted:

Star Citizen: You can't always get what you want. But you can wait for it.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x85gwqh

I am struggling with hosting today. Password is parp

lol, and furthermore, lmao

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wow wtf...

maybe all they needed was a puppy all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's fun to imagine legendary Visionary Chris Roberts harnessing the wisdom of that one physics class he sort of took when he was in school to team up with that weird Star Citizen megawhale to pitch a revolutionary new concept in cooling satellites: "Just cover it in fans. Like, everywhere you can fit one. AND THEN ADD MORE FANS."