Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah, just tell him to gently caress off, or as others have suggested just lie that the moneys gone. You don't want to invite a situation where this probably-dodgy oval office starts working "on spec" and just knocks a big hole in your wall and fucks off until you pay him 75%.

Basically, if you ever get bad vibes from a contractor prior to starting a job, just bail immediately. Even if they're not out to defraud you, getting big work done is stressful enough that you want someone who is chill, respectful, and communicative to stop you spiralling during the process

This. I'd have thrown him out on his ear as soon as he suggested a 75% deposit. He's waterproofing a basement not building the loving Taj Mahal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Always reassuring to know that even if I try very hard I do not think I can manage to be that much of a fuckup this late in life.

Don't worry he managed it after pocketing nearly half a mil for these dead gay forums.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yes that's part of why I can't manage it because I will never have the funding let alone the head start.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

Always reassuring to know that even if I try very hard I do not think I can manage to be that much of a fuckup this late in life.

Well, certainly not with that attitude

You gotta believe in yourself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was going to suggest if the UK arts grants want to fund me to see how much of a fuckup I can be that'd be nice but I think that more normally achieved by standing as a political candidate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whenever I think of Lowtax I will remember that he *told* everyone he got banned from Twitter for arguing with some Fash called Baked Alaska

When the reality was he got banned for sending pictures of dog dicks to many many random women who disagreed with him

Including a trans friend of mine completely unconnected with the site and who had no idea who he was, which is why there was a posting gap with me,

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Whenever I think of Lowtax I will remember that he *told* everyone he got banned from Twitter for arguing with some Fash called Baked Alaska

When the reality was he got banned for sending pictures of dog dicks to many many random women who disagreed with him

Including a trans friend of mine completely unconnected with the site and who had no idea who he was, which is why there was a posting gap with me,

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A POSTING GAP!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

goddamnedtwisto posted:

WE MUST NOT ALLOW A POSTING GAP!

I never realized how much George C. Scott looked like Tim Robinson.

Which makes Dr Strangelove the longest I Think You Should Leave episode ever.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

learnincurve posted:

I don't think i've ever heard of that before but that would 100% scan with his weirdoness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A brain forever trapped in 2002 internet.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Nice for him to be involved in at least one funny thing on the internet in the past 20 years.

Also gently caress Starmer.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

happyhippy posted:

You are talking about the peeps that have delayed the Irish Language Act that the UK and Ireland agreed to back in 2006.

Also I think I mentioned this here before, but when I was working for the NI govt and was up in around Stormont when the Assembly was being set up in 1998, the rumor was Ian Paisley Jr tried to get Sprite/7-UP banned from the Stormont cafeteria because they had green, white, and gold(yellow) colours on their cans.
gently caress knows if its true, but it sounds like it would be natural in NI.

This has always annoyed me. The Irish flag* is Green, White and Orange.
That's their colours. And yet it treated as some subjective belief and sometimes the last colour is replaced with Gold or Yellow.

The Constitution specifically says what colours make up the flag.

* = Also the Ivory Coast, even if it's in the wrong order.Those guys are cool too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

learnincurve posted:

The more new things I learn about Lowtax the worse he appears.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Leyburn posted:

Nice for him to be involved in at least one funny thing on the internet in the past 20 years.

Gaming Garbage or whatever his youtube thing was called was fun when it was him and Shmorky falling through level geometry of terrible games made by idiots.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

That's their colours. And yet it treated as some subjective belief and sometimes the last colour is replaced with Gold or Yellow.

* = Also the Ivory Coast, even if it's in the wrong order.Those guys are cool too.

There is a song about it and everything.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59242195

Am reading comments from some to this article posted on FB - some people are finding the online payment system very complicated (eg you have to book each meal separately and can't pay for half a term in advance for example).

I think this is the head who got into trouble last year for bullying staff.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Gaming Garbage or whatever his youtube thing was called was fun when it was him and Shmorky falling through level geometry of terrible games made by idiots.

The streams with his daughter were funny (and she was considerably funnier than he was, which... should have been a sign really). I'll never forget "You know eventually I'll die and you'll have to take my place" "Okay daddy, I will be a fat man on the internet" which is the most savage burn a kid has ever delivered, if a little poignant now.

I hope she and her family will be able to get over this eventually.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Question IRL posted:

I'm sure there was something about the orange being replaced by gold by some of the more extreme nationalists who felt that having protestant orange represented on the flag was bad?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm sure there was something about the orange being replaced by gold by some of the more extreme nationalists who felt that having protestant orange represented on the flag was bad?

Yeah but that was equally stupid and pointless

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They could instead just cut the orange bit off and have a green and white square flag and also some material to make a robe for a very small Buddhist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sincerely hoping this is just another bit of TBEU, but...

https://twitter.com/Charlyf_81/status/1458735083809120261

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Lest we forget those that fought and died trying to make a single united Europe during the two world wars.

wait :ohno:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It did seem like fewer people were wearing them this year.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
"Never read the comments" he reminds himself, after looking at Billy Bragg's tweets on why he reworded 'Sexuality' to specifically include trans people and now wishing the technology existed to punch people via the internet.

"Trans people by definition no longer have any sexuality so you can't include them in a song called that!" :bahgawd: is a take so nuclear it should hopefully have rendered the poster themself sterile.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

It did seem like fewer people were wearing them this year.

Yes I've noticed that.
Fewer people wearing them and my facebook newsfeed normally poppy-heavy, not seen many at all these days, just some fairly discreet ones on peoples' profiles etc.
Though I guess they might all have blocked me from seeing their posts LOL
Just checked a couple of the most vociferous poppy supporters and nope, nadda.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I used to wear one every year, but over the years the war christmas moniker has become more accurate and more prevalent so I stopped.

It would be nice to think that as the die hards get more nuts about it, others will just lose interest.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Maybe it's all the right wingers boycotting poppies because RBL appointed a Diversity officer a few months ago?
Too woke to {something that rhymes with woke} (paraphrasing too posh to mosh)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like this is a big confession in this thread but I do actually wear a poppy; it's habit more than anything, and the RBL *do* do decent work even if they're leaning too far into the troop worship thing. However I've noticed in the last week that I'm very much in a minority, there's almost nobody out and about on the street wearing one.

(Also I stopped for lunch in a greasy spoon in Bermondsey and noticed I was literally the only person wearing one and was suddenly *acutely* aware that I'd forgotten I was heading that way and so was still using my GSB OUT badge to hold it in. I assume the troop-respecting counteracted wearing a West Ham badge pretty much in the shadow of the New Den, although it's also possible all those letters so closely together confused them long enough for me to escape)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel like this is a big confession in this thread but I do actually wear a poppy; it's habit more than anything, and the RBL *do* do decent work even if they're leaning too far into the troop worship thing. However I've noticed in the last week that I'm very much in a minority, there's almost nobody out and about on the street wearing one.

(Also I stopped for lunch in a greasy spoon in Bermondsey and noticed I was literally the only person wearing one and was suddenly *acutely* aware that I'd forgotten I was heading that way and so was still using my GSB OUT badge to hold it in. I assume the troop-respecting counteracted wearing a West Ham badge pretty much in the shadow of the New Den, although it's also possible all those letters so closely together confused them long enough for me to escape)

I keep one in my handbag (confession - not new) in case I get accosted in the street. Not a hill I want to die on (other hills I don't want to die on are available eg tv licence).

I remember when I was still in The Party and looked after the CLP facebook page - what a nightmare. Whatever colour poppies I posted for the remembrance thing I would get a mouthful of nasty comments about how white poppies were traitorous wokes, just red poppies were war worshipping, both colours would invoke ire of all. Only purple poppies went down well with everyone. One year I posted 'silent soldiers' our garrison had put up in the war graves part of the town cemetry. That went down ok too. Mind you I switched off private messaging on the page!

Once when I was about 8 I bought one of those wooden crosses with a poppy on. My dad objected (he'd had some row wth the local BL I don't know what about*) so I took it back to school to say I didn't want it. *this is the same dad who when in my 20s I turned up to the folks one Sunday lunchtime on the back of a large motorbike driven by a policeperson, spent the whole time muttering about 'overpaid bourgeois imperialist bully boys in blue'. (Mum, on the other hand, was delighted. A step up from the former hell's angel of previous encounters in her view).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 12, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

In a stunning bit of "rats fleeing ONTO a sinking ship", apparently Eamonn Holmes is going to GB News.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think if anyone gives me poo poo I'm just going to paraphrase matthew 6:1-8 at them.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Like so many of these things, buying and wearing a poppy in support of charity and as a quiet mark of respect is fine and good, but it’s sadly becoming something that marks you as a very particular kind of virtue-signalling loon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it literally is virtue signalling whyever you do it, that is a completely accurate descriptor of how it functions in society, you wear it to signal a thing to others that you believe to be a virtue of some sort, whether that is because you think it will win you praise or because you want them to feel a certain way in themselves.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Some virtue signalling pillock on Facebook was giving Zarah Sultana grief because she didn't post a remembrance thing until this afternoon. Not enough respects.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The difference is which virtue you’re trying to signal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

In a stunning bit of "rats fleeing ONTO a sinking ship", apparently Eamonn Holmes is going to GB News.

Must have caught it from that foot thing he advertises on tv.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

No one back in Ireland wants him.
And he aint even from GB too, so he must have been way down the list of gammons they asked.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Lots of people are reporting fewer poppies on the street this year, and my guess would be people aren't carrying loose change as much/at all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idea of eamonn holmes doing a tucker carlson bit is just... very hard for me to take seriously. He's just the doughy guy who does the light morning poo poo where they have someone bring a dog on the show to talk about their pet rescue or whatever.

Like I feel as if he would just make anything he tries to tell you less credible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it literally is virtue signalling whyever you do it, that is a completely accurate descriptor of how it functions in society, you wear it to signal a thing to others that you believe to be a virtue of some sort, whether that is because you think it will win you praise or because you want them to feel a certain way in themselves.
Well yeah, taken to its logical limit it’s the same philosophical argument over if anybody can be “truly” altruistic