Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squirrel Knight
Nov 8, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Posting in tribute thread, Lowtax was a tremendous rear end in a top hat who went out using the biggest dickhead move possible. At one point he was funny, and once he rang me on Skype and made fun of me because I was about to go see my grandma, which was also funny.

Rest in piss, bitch. It's a bummer the way you turned out. Thanks for the website.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Boy, will his face sure be red!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

$400K in missouri is probably reaaaal comfortable living

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

hey to all the early-aughts regdates checking in after long dormancies. stick around we're still cool please hang out with us

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mozzie posted:

too lazy to keep up with this thread

Has someone done a photoshop yet of a death rich holding a shotgun and his face blown off revealing goatse?

More or less yes

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Killingyouguy! posted:

hey to all the early-aughts regdates checking in after long dormancies. stick around we're still cool please hang out with us

Honestly SA has turned around from the dark era and is much better now

Please stay we want your moneycompany

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I can't say I'm surprised by this. I've been wondering when it was gonna come down the pipes.

I've been a poster here since 2002 and a reader since '99. It made me sad when Lowtax turned into a piece of poo poo, and I'm sad today that whatever was broken in his head and his heart led him to do this.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
It's complicated about his death.

Without Lowtax, The world wouldn’t have known or not in the way it is known that the internet makes you stupid, all your base are belong to us, Slenderman exists and my tank (and Pokémon!) is fight among creating Image macros (and the memes that followed) and Let’s Plays and other cornerstones of modern culture. He also inadvertently started a chain reaction that almost overthrew the government of the United States but that’s another story.

Richard Kyanka is known to be a wife beater, abused another wife verbally since he couldn’t take her in a fight, Got punched out by Uwe Boll, wasted money on gourmet cookies and killed himself after cleaning out a bank account given to wife #2 in their divorce leaving his daughters, exes and mother to pick up the pieces.

And yet they were the same person.

Something Awful will survive this of course. It’s old enough to have a beer after all. It is alive while its founder is dead. I'll let him have the last word:

Dead people can't become sick, so consider becoming dead.

Christ, Lowtax was a rear end in a top hat

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 12, 2021

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Sorry you died, thanks for the forum. I don't know why you couldn't just be a dad with a forum and not abuse people.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

metaxus posted:

I joined SA in 2003. Flew to Sydney in 2004 when Lowtax came to Australia for a goonmeet. He bought us all enough beer by the end of the night (using a Mastercard with the name Something Awful, LLC on it) to more than make up for having to pay for our forum memberships. He and I chatted for a bit, and he gave me his business card, which I still have somewhere. There were so many in-jokes that night, and Rich certainly seemed like a funny guy who didn't take anything too seriously.

By the small hours of the morning, we ended up on the beach in Coogee drunkenly singing Thank You for being Pipebomb, and by the end of the whole thing, I walked away thinking the guy was somewhat of an internet legend.

It's a shame that things went so far downhill for him in the years following... I certainly don't agree with how he treated his wives, nor do I agree with what an rear end in a top hat he was to the forum collective towards the end. Things started a general downhill slide after the Uwe Boll fight - Getting literally hit with the results of your own hubris hurts, and hurts hard.

I do agree that him selling the forums and IP was an excellent idea. He just didn't give a gently caress anymore and it showed. I suppose that when you start something and it organically grows into what SA became over all those years, it must really mess with your head and this is the result.

If nothing else, the man certainly did his part to shape the nascent days of the internet, and he spawned a long-standing community that I've been a part of for almost half my life, and his legacy in that regard is worth remembering.

The rest of his legacy however, that's on him and the choices he made.

I feel for his children and his ex-wives, but at least he's taken his demons with him.

Eh this from some pages back sums it up for me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

:piss:

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Postin in a Fragmaster thread.

I dont care about Lowtax, but i hope his kids get whatever money he got from selling the forums.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Mimiga posted:

logging in for the first time since who-the-gently caress-knows to say 'wow i didn't know the forums still existed' and to throw in 20 bucks.

The fact that you came back and dropped some cash on children you don't know, never seen, and on the strength of a single post is amazing feat of this community.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I know nothing of anime except Yuri! On Ice and Mob Psycho 100. What's that one originally?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I know nothing of anime except Yuri! On Ice and Mob Psycho 100

You have good taste but should also watch Nichijou. Thanks for reading my post.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

:emptyquote:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

That's not Nichijou, you should just watch it cuz it's good

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This website helped me through a rough period in my life. Multiple really. Goons helped me with getting therapy, and from there I moved out of my parents house in my 30s, got a full time job, started dating, bought a house with my current partner and then we got married. I also learned how to drive and got my drivers license. Major life change in independence compared to where I was out of high school and in my early 20s too.

Back when I was much younger I was a real piece of poo poo and hurt people. Unlike Lowtax though I took responsibility for it. Got into therapy to talk about my toxic behavior and never repeated those mistakes again.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Killingyouguy! posted:

This, the subforum megathreads contain some of the best discussion and collective knowledge anywhere on the internet

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
This site impacted my life in astronomical ways.

RIP Lowtax.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
It’s awful that someday his kids are likely going to find this thread and read it. It’s awful that most of the criticism and derision in here is absolutely justified. But he’s still their dad and it’s going to be complicated, and I hope they can remember what they liked about him and not the lovely parts. Same for his former partners. Same for his family.

I wish, for their sake, that he had gotten the help he needed before he felt like his best option was to destroy a half-dozen lives, and never have to deal with the consequences himself.

Lowtax could have been a major figure in Internet culture (or at least alt-comedy on the Internet) if he hadn’t put so much effort into insane things like abusing his partners or lying publicly about his business finances. He — or at least what he made — still had a profound effect on how generations of people interact online, and I’m sad on his behalf that whatever goodwill that might have earned him is dead.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lowtax will return in...Goldbelly

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPU8OAjjS4k

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lowtax will return in...Goldbelly

Limited run goldbelly cookies made with his ashes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What are these accusations that he faked his spinal issues? I’ve never heard that and only one person here seems to be repeating that line.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Shame Boy posted:

You have good taste but should also watch Nichijou. Thanks for reading my post.

Nichijou is a silly show about preforming pro wrestling moves on four legged hooved animals.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sonic Dude posted:

It’s awful that someday his kids are likely going to find this thread and read it. It’s awful that most of the criticism and derision in here is absolutely justified. But he’s still their dad and it’s going to be complicated, and I hope they can remember what they liked about him and not the lovely parts. Same for his former partners. Same for his family.

I wish, for their sake, that he had gotten the help he needed before he felt like his best option was to destroy a half-dozen lives, and never have to deal with the consequences himself.

Lowtax could have been a major figure in Internet culture (or at least alt-comedy on the Internet) if he hadn’t put so much effort into insane things like abusing his partners or lying publicly about his business finances. He — or at least what he made — still had a profound effect on how generations of people interact online, and I’m sad on his behalf that whatever goodwill that might have earned him is dead.

I honestly think they will read this stuff and agree with all of it. He did tell his oldest daughter that he hates her and doesnt want to hear from her again. The text logs were posted in the previous lowtax drama thread. Doesnt seem like there will really be much for complicated feelings. Lowtax didnt hide that he hated his children.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Really sorry to hear this :(

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sincerely doubt Lowtax’s daughters will be caught off guard by the things we say about the man who murdered their father (their father)

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thanks for making the site, at least. Best ten dollars I ever spent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

akadajet posted:

What are these accusations that he faked his spinal issues? I’ve never heard that and only one person here seems to be repeating that line.

It comes from Logan Day, and court documents that show how he spent his money. None of it was on medical bills.

melbatoastXXX
Jul 30, 2000
i just found out and I am very sad no matter what people are saying someone I’ve been familiar with for years and years is gone and now the world is smaller

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

melbatoastXXX posted:

i just found out and I am very sad no matter what people are saying someone I’ve been familiar with for years and years is gone and now the world is smaller

The world is the same size, it's just down an rear end in a top hat

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

rip

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Reigen from Mob Psycho 100 would grow up to be like Lowtax if it weren't for Mob

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sudden Javelin posted:

I enjoy this website

That is all

:agreed:

Raxkor
Jan 19, 2013

What the actual or implied fuck?!

Well, poo poo. This whole thing seems sad and surreal. The personal problems getting dragged out, guess the best thing to do is throw some coin in the collection for the kids and hope they can all get past this horrific stage of their lives.

Condolences.
It's a measure of the man to have his last actions be literally ducking supporting or giving a poo poo about your kids. Fully fledged backyard clag merchant. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It comes from Logan Day, and court documents that show how he spent his money. None of it was on medical bills.

I don’t know if I buy that. He looked pretty rough to be faking it. I’ve been surprised before though.