Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lol

quote:

“We have observed, for example, a ‘Middle East’ neuron with an association with terrorism,” OpenAI writes, “and an ‘immigration’ neuron that responds to Latin America. We have even found a neuron that fires for both dark-skinned people and gorillas, mirroring earlier photo tagging incidents in other models we consider unacceptable.”

cool racism bot guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

lol

cool racism bot guys

this happens with every single one of these

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shear Modulus posted:

this happens with every single one of these

:iiam:

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

will you keep laughing when adversarial attacks are criminalized though

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

Many goons are already FAT32.

My goon, I'm already FAT42

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

the state of machine vision now means you could fool it by writing "US Soldier" on the front of your gear

do you really think someone would do that? just get a piece of paper and write lies?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

the state of machine vision now means you could fool it by writing "US Soldier" on the front of your gear

id throw an american flag on there too

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

IAMKOREA posted:

Yes and one argument against using ai is that it would result in indiscriminate murder bots, incapable of selecting a "correct" target. My point was that that's no different than what we have now with remote control.
Like I said, it doesn't matter if it's a computer or a person pulling the trigger, these are terror weapons.

Platystemon posted:

Many goons are already FAT32.

They ate too much btrfs.
I'm about 15 pound away from exFAT

Just throw it into a loop by wearing ceramic plates in your vest embossed with FRONT TOWARD ENEMY. Worst case, you limp back to base and heat up your MRE by propping it up on a rock or something.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

dazzle camo except its lifted pickups rolling coal

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eSports Chaebol posted:

will you keep laughing when adversarial attacks are criminalized though

i will never stop laughing

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

hire from the global south to validate the computer visions analysis
done

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

The Nastier Nate posted:

id throw an american flag on there too

MGS predicts the future again. American flag makes the drones not shoot, Soviet flag makes them prioritize you as a target

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I do wonder if this was helped by the fact that Apple is the company that makes iPods, you can see it's already leaning towards iPod in the first picture with 0.4%. Probably wouldn't work at all if you wrote Zune on a piece of paper and stuck it to the apple.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ymgve posted:

I do wonder if this was helped by the fact that Apple is the company that makes iPods, you can see it's already leaning towards iPod in the first picture with 0.4%. Probably wouldn't work at all if you wrote Zune on a piece of paper and stuck it to the apple.

Funny enough, no.

But I agree that no one is training any vision, machine or otherwise, to recognize zunes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
covering myself in a zune suit to befuddle the meta death drones

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ymgve posted:

Probably wouldn't work at all if you wrote Zune on a piece of paper and stuck it to the apple.

The algorithm wouldn't be able to recognize Zunes in any case unless they were part of the training data.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kitfox88 posted:

covering myself in a zune suit to befuddle the meta death drones

Nonsense, you just want to start a zune suit riot.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

lol

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

for real tho I had a zune that i really liked but then it got bounced around in a car crash and died :rip:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Creative Labs Nomad was the good early MP3 player.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

zune was good and amazingly so was the software

it failed because microsoft

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember their podcasting integration being a real fail. The Zune failed because it was a bad product.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Creative Labs Nomad was the good early MP3 player.

Then apple stole the file system for the ipod and no one would shut the gently caress up about apple.

Creative really went nuts with their names for a bit though. Mine was a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Xtra something something. It had a dumb, long name, but worked awesome.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Nomad came with a big drive, good product.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, mine was 30gb iirc. And half the price of the same sized ipod at the time (2004). I bought it because of the price, but shunned the idea of apple because they were refusing warranty repairs for people who took them to Iraq/Afghanistan. Watched a few friends get hosed by that only to buy another ipod. My Zen probably still works, if I knew where it was.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Creative repaired mine 3 times for free too. the drives would eventually go.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Then apple stole the file system for the ipod and no one would shut the gently caress up about apple.

Creative really went nuts with their names for a bit though. Mine was a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox Xtra something something. It had a dumb, long name, but worked awesome.

I do not understand how a file system can be important enough to be worth stealing. What was special about it?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

and when they came out other players were tiny mostly from 128mb to a gig.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I do not understand how a file system can be important enough to be worth stealing. What was special about it?

how you navigated and stored your music files on the device is kindof a big deal.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Creative had a very simple, effective, and easy to use format. Apple saw that and said "yoink" and lost a lawsuit from Creative over it something like 5 years later when the fine was a fraction of the profits made off of the ipod.

They didn't license it, they straight up stole it from Creative.

E: Creative got $100mil out of the lawsuit and apple got licensing for the file system, but apple made a shitload of money on the ipod from release through 2006, well more than what they paid in the suit.

Sometimes it's cheaper to steal than license properly, or actually innovate like they claim.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 01:38 on Nov 12, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

My Jukebox lasted for many, many years. That 30 gig of tunes just kept running, and the battery life was great, too. It had been dropped many times, and there were a few little chunks missing from the case. Still ran, though.

It eventually had an issue with the power connector coming loose from the board. Popped it open, a teeny couple of dabs of Flux, a touch or two with the soldering iron and it was back to normal.

The only reason I don't still use it is because put a huge 250 gig card in my phone and have switched to Bluetooth headphones.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

mine was like a brick. it owned

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

zune was good and amazingly so was the software

it failed because microsoft

I loved the zune software a lot. Used it until like 2013. Still have my 120gb in the car. The battery is shot but it still works. At least it did 2 years ago when I last checked.

My friend got a zune HD when it came out that thing sucks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I listen to CDs in my car

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Bloop posted:

... grandma?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

when I was a teen we had a cheap old car so I remember on long drives we’d use my SONY CD WALKMAN with a trash rear end analog to tape deck thing to listen to green day on the car, just my sister mom and me. nice memories :)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

when I was a teen we had a cheap old car so I remember on long drives we’d use my SONY CD WALKMAN with a trash rear end analog to tape deck thing to listen to green day on the car, just my sister mom and me. nice memories :)

the modern equivalent now is buying an adapter that's a bluetooth receiver you plug into the aux port

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There were a bad few years in automotive history when tape decks had been phased out but aux ports had not been phased in.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I had one of these and it owned, iirc it took 1 AA battery and the battery enclosure detached from the actual mp3 player and you just plug it straight into your PC without having to track down a cable or install software or w/e. it follows creative's proud tradition of having stupid names:

https://www.amazon.ca/Creative-MuVo-Player-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00028Y826

quote:

Creative MuVo TX FM

downside was it didn't have a lot of space but it was tiny, reliable and really easy to put songs onto because it just read as a usb drive. I used one of those spinny drive ones at home and this little guy for everywhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

blatman posted:

I had one of these and it owned, iirc it took 1 AA battery and the battery enclosure detached from the actual mp3 player and you just plug it straight into your PC without having to track down a cable or install software or w/e. it follows creative's proud tradition of having stupid names:

https://www.amazon.ca/Creative-MuVo-Player-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00028Y826

downside was it didn't have a lot of space but it was tiny, reliable and really easy to put songs onto because it just read as a usb drive. I used one of those spinny drive ones at home and this little guy for everywhere else

1 AAA.

But yes, amazingly convenient, especially for the time.