Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Does this mean eric baum won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Does Uwe Boll know yet

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Peragus posted:

knew very little about him

sounded like a piece of poo poo

You're a good judge of character

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a confession: i used to read the front page somewhat regularly

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once in college stealing a joke from a frontpage article got me laid because the girl recognized it as an sa article :911:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

PokeJoe posted:

the what now?

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.
goondolences :zybourne:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

PokeJoe posted:

For the longest time, I only came to this site for the Photoshop Phriday posts. I didn't even know there were forums here for years.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
God, what a depressing dung-heap fire. I guess popping pills while you live the fumes of a dying website you hate is an unhealthy way to live.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

melbatoastXXX posted:

i just found out and I am very sad no matter what people are saying someone I’ve been familiar with for years and years is gone and now the world is smaller
this you?

melbatoastXXX posted:

Okay. you newbies gewnz made me crawl out from under my log to yell at clouds.

Please don't get offended. I want to speak my piece, and I honestly hope I don't get crucified for it. But when you see something going on that doesn't seem right, keeping silent is a sin.

I honestly don't think Lowtax is the evil monster that everyone is accusing him of being, and I don't want him to be forced to give up the site he created.

Whatever the “truth” is, it will eventually come out. I just wish TEH INTERNET... (...that was deliberate, new mods, to illustrate how much of a fogey I am. Plz don't ban thx...) ...could go back to how it was. I guess it’s like people these days have decided they hate the humor and history of the very site they’re posting on? Even after the toxic elements have continually been purged by the very person everyone is dogpiling on for being a toxic element? This reeks of a Barabbas scenario.

It seems to me that the people stirring the pot want drama. But poking the beehive just pisses the bees off, and then everyone gets stung. I also noticed that this kinda has the hallmark of a reputation hit. Some of this could be a backlash for shutting down FYAD now that I think about it. It may not have started that way, but it sure seems hinky at this point. It kinda reminds me of what Mike Cernovich and 4Chan tried to do to James Gunn. If so, and people are lying to damage Lowtax and SA, let them lie. Lies don’t last in the long run. I guess we'll see. I could be wrong, but watching Lowtax for two decades... I don't see him as punchy McWomanface. He's probably a really annoying guy to live with sometimes, but I'm no angel either, and I can state with confidence that neither are any of you new "bee" goons ...from time to time at the very least.

Whatever might have happened, the truth is I kinda believe that SA is Lowtax's site. Not the current community's. Not FYAD’s to take over, as seems to be happening. It would be nice if Lowtax could smooth it out with the goonette that seems to have accidentally started this mess but extending an olive branch right now might be a bad idea. People are all on edge with the times being what they are, many of us feel hurt by one thing or another, and wounded beings bite. And oh boy does it seem like everyone is biting. I do hope she is okay. I really really do hope the person on the other side of this issue is okay. I hope she isn't getting the same level of flack that Lowtax is. It's soul crushing stuff you new goons are doing here.

I guess I'm just pointing out that SA is a great place that wouldn’t exist otherwise without Lowtax! 🤖 Ironically he created one of the best moderated forums on the internet. I'm not sure at all that forcing Lowtax to "give up" the site based on what I can tell is still at this point rumors, hurt feelings, innuendo, internet faux outrage, and possibly character assassination is the right, just, fair, or true thing to do.

I just hope Lowtax can trust the mods he's working with. Because it seems like he can't trust the very members of his site who call themselves SA goons.

For those who didn't follow it, here's what Right-Wing Nazis tried to do to James Gunn. The similarities between that incident and this one are very suspiciously similar.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...s-possible/amp/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
take a lap

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

His personal life sucks but his site helped me be successful so RIP

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

this you?

take a lap

I'm friends with one of his exes so I'm loling at this.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Jaur posted:

this forum loving sucks

This is not a slur I use, but, uh

Anyone else remember The Situation?

Lowtax briefly closed GBS and FYAD both, saying that the situation was that neither forum was funny any longer (2004). Both forums were united in a single one called The Situation. The only macro that worked in The Situation forum was something that said "This forum is for f*ggots".

From EPG:

"The situation was created to see how mad it would make people. The idea was that it was a big injoke that no one could ever get. It basically succeeded in making FYAD extremely mad, though you'll no doubt deny it, and made GBS people try really really hard to act like they "got it". The most interesting unintentional side effect is that for a few hours every night it was actually pretty cool. It was sort of an actually good fusion of FYAD and GBS where people just hung out with their friends and relaxed but were also relatively nice to each other. The rest of the day it was full of really bad trolling from FYAD regulars and really bad "The situation" posts from everyone else".

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I'm glad Jeff bought the site when he did because I would not want to see our collective effort to wrest it from Lowtax's estate.

It's tragic that the guy who helped invent half of everything funny and/or bad about the Internet spent twenty years own-goaling himself and blaming those around him. I hope his kids turn out ok.

God what a waste.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

PokeJoe posted:

lol

just lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
how is newgrounds taking this?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Made this in case anyone needs a more up to date obituary photo for the taxman.

Also as some goon's discord avatar.

Huge Spatula
Jul 15, 2001

I like the pole and the hole, and right now I'm as moist as a snack cake down there.
I just thought I would pop in and say that even if Lowtax were a terrible person, his forums are still where I have made connections with some people that I still communicate with on a daily basis literally two decades later. So, thanks for that, Rich. Shame things turned out the way they did.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zenquin posted:

Thank you, post altered.

Genuine thanks for not being Weird about it, by the way :shobon:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

PokeJoe posted:

District Bulletins will stay with me forever. I will always look at the moon and think of Swimp who is bunny soft and a cookie bear.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

In all honesty I am not trying to be super dickish to people who feel differently than me. SA has been a fun and good website to post on, and witness weird meltdowns. And if his role in creating it makes you feel more complicated about him than I do that is ok. It is just honestly very strange to me, especially since almost any time he actively did something it made things more stupid here, and he hasn't been funny in a long time if he ever truly was. It is like tearfully thanking Jeff Bezos as he personally smothers you with the ashes of the dying planet because you really like the butt plug you bought on Amazon

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

how's FYAD handling this?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

melbatoastXXX posted:

i just found out and I am very sad no matter what people are saying someone I’ve been familiar with for years and years is gone and now the world is smaller

bitch

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

isnoop posted:

I'll miss you Rich. You were a weird and wonderful man.

Dude, you're alive! Hope you're well :)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

geekygrrl posted:

Glad to see you're still kicking it. I could have sworn you were only 70!
gb2lurking

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

My parents ranged from at best extremely neglectful to at worst outright abusive. I was left to basically raise myself on the internet. I'm grateful I landed on SA because the goon community is probably why I didn't grow up to be a loving kapo fash.

I'm glad SA rose above it's creation and it's creator. Also gently caress you Lotax you had every opportunity to grow up with the goon community and become a slightly less lovely person.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

There's a front page?

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Condolences to Lowtax's family (just donated) and to Goldbelly (same)

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/henrykrinkie/status/1458792869146333188

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cowman posted:

how's FYAD handling this?

extremely quiet compared to this thread it's...weird :confused:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

$1600 left in the gofundme goal

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

stillvisions posted:

There's a certain irony in somehow being credited the "creator" of all these groups through the act of... kicking them off your site. But I guess if he's the father of Let's Plays and Slenderman as well by being the SA admin, I guess you gotta take the good with the bad.

He also banned a bunch LP superstars in some sort of Shmorky induced tantrum, who seem to now be doing okay on streaming.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

People have been posting that over and over since near when the thread started and I'm glad because it's really funny

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

He died in Missouri

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This thread is almost as epic as that time Pele and Oddjob threw a shitfit

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

Fun Shoe

Is this real?? :psyduck:

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

sweet thursday posted:

He died in Missouri

He was already in hell

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
It's interesting to watch parts of my internet upbringing succumb to what seems like entropy.

Lowtax, you sure did a thing.

Tom
Jun 8, 2000

WHERE IS MY CHEESE?
drat. Hard news to hear. I’ve met most of my lifetime friends on here because of him.

"You are the worst loving poster I've ever seen and you should never make another thread ever again." - CptPlanet
"I swear to god you're a comedic genius." - pengO

Tom fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Does this mean I can stop drinking mangosteen?