Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

We're still under the limited CDC criteria here, but I'm doing way more in-public, inside-a-room poo poo and my second dose just passed 6 months, so I booked the booster for tomorrow evening at CVS. There was a "you certify that you apply to the guidance" box to check, I'm hoping I don't get asked so I don't have to hem and haw about it.

They won't ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the guy at cvs asked me if I had my vaxx card (left it at home) and which arm I wanted it in. the online form had a bunch of questions about allergies and the like but otherwise it was just a box-ticking exercise

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

N: The court order potentially sealing some of the documents from the January 6th Commission went through. They'll revisit 11/30.

V: :laffo:, nothing's going to come of this, is it? That fucker has spent an entire life dodging justice like The Matrix and it's going to happen again. :suicide:

Don't expect anything, but this is normal procedures for novel, weirdo requests like what Donnie's making. The *real* story is that he got an absolute poo poo draw of judges from the appellate court - two Obama nominees and a Biden nominee. Donnie's request for a stay was unopposed by the National Archives / House Committee, which led to the appellate court setting a *very* fast schedule. Instead of taking months and months, it'll probably get decided by the end of the month and the committee will have the documents in December.

He will still skate and dodge poo poo forever though, the legal system is not set up for his brand of money and corruption.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of the reasons is that you have a high risk of exposure due to your living or work situation, which is pretty much a catch-all that anyone can reasonably claim.

My excessively-moral stand was defeated by the facts that we're wasting a shitload of doses due to expiration, Moderna booster appointments are plentiful around here, and I'm going to places with 12,000 people in them and would really like to go to more. Basically happy-cried at my first college basketball game in about two years. I have decent enough arguments, I'd just like to not have to make them :v:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://activeselfprotection.com/page-guidelines/

This may actually be one of the better rules I've ever seen for gun related discussion. I mean it's still cringe, but actually reasonable...well that or the bar is just so goddamn low. lol

quote:

In this vein, ASP believes that the vast majority of law enforcement officers (LEO) are good, hard working, honest people who do a job that really stinks for fairly low pay. Not only that, but as the page has grown it’s become apparent that their job is often done on behalf of people who are rude, disrespectful, and question every nuance of every word they say. As veterans we remember this same standard applied to the military and disagree with it on the grounds that they can’t possibly be perfect. We believe that they are generally good folk, generally looking out for average joes and janes, and require that conversations be respectful of their position of authority (Romans 13:1-7) and the job they do that you probably couldn’t. We really believe that every citizen should do 3 ride alongs with a cop before commenting on the job they do. We do not mind disagreement with a particular action of an LEO, and bad cops make us very angry. We won’t defend the actions of abusive cops any more than we defend the actions of any other abuser. That said, we will maintain respect for the office and function of LEO and ask that our fans do as well.

Imagine seeing over and over and over how police close ranks to protect their own from any semblance of consequences and coming to the conclusion that the majority of them are good people or that policing in the US as an institution should be held on a pedestal. They are shutting down the discussion on systemic abuses before it can even start - yet another group of people who completely miss the point of the bad apples metaphor.

quote:

We are libertarian conservatives in nature

Funny how people identifying as libertarians are always so eager to get the taste of boot in their mouth.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Imagine seeing over and over and over how police close ranks to protect their own from any semblance of consequences and coming to the conclusion that the majority of them are good people or that policing in the US as an institution should be held on a pedestal. They are shutting down the discussion on systemic abuses before it can even start - yet another group of people who completely miss the point of the bad apples metaphor.

Funny how people identifying as libertarians are always so eager to get the taste of boot in their mouth.

Like I said, it’s a very very very low bar. I really don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. I think it’s just gun owner fatigue and looking for anything remotely not trash. Granted I’m not in the supply side Jesus self defense philosophies, especially as a Jew. Man the stories of weirdos I could tell, but also some good people too (mostly TFR).

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Like I said, it’s a very very very low bar. I really don’t disagree with anything you’re saying. I think it’s just gun owner fatigue and looking for anything remotely not trash. Granted I’m not in the supply side Jesus self defense philosophies, especially as a Jew. Man the stories of weirdos I could tell, but also some good people too (mostly TFR).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flv5nWZgII

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:discourse:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CommieGIR posted:

This judge needs to get hosed.

He's very clearly enjoying the media attention, so that's probably the ONLY reason he won't go for a mistrial. It'll mean less time on camera.

Honestly, the trial should've never been televised. Allow press and the public to observe, but it's now a spectacle. I mean, 2A groups are doing *viewing parties*, for gently caress's sake.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Problematic Soup posted:

I mean, it’s not completely terrible in isolation, but it definitely has a strong conservative slant, and that’s kind of the rub when you have people in power in the republican party who are basically dogwhistling the whole “free helicopter rides for communists” poo poo, or whatever john bircher retread poo poo that the q people are cooking up.

Subscribe to their YouTube channel. He's definitely conservative, but he only really brings up religion. Like saying things like "spiritual fitness is making sure you never leave home angry or with things unsaid to loved ones, and making sure you're ready to meet your maker." That's a bit much but I can agree with part of it.

You'll learn a lot about use of force incidents (and critiques / analysis) for police and for citizens. Lot of badge cam / dash cam / security camera videos. Their second channel, Active Self Protection Extra is all about training and learning how to be a better self defender. Be warned that he's very pro police, but does call out when they're in the wrong. Watching his channel for the last few years, I've learned a lot - both about police use of force and how to be a better self defender.

Like any competent, knowledgeable, and good self defense instructor, he always says that not putting yourself in a bad place in the first place, or running is the best option if you have it. He says things like "any good, sane, sober, moral person would X or Y." He's very religious, too, so that turns me off a bit. But you can't find a better channel if you want to be a better self defender. It also shows way more justifiable uses of force (deadly or otherwise) by police or private citizens than people here might realize happen. Daily videos where objectively people are coming at cops or private citizens with knives or who are pointing guns at them.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 12, 2021

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
I mean, I am familiar with John Corriea and ASP, and even if I am probably diametrically opposed to almost all his politics, I don’t personally think that he’s a bad person. It seems like he actually is trying to not be a lovely person.

It’s just gotten progressively harder for me to ignore politics since donnie goodbrains came down the escalator, and I have gotten to the point where I am thinking of taking up shooting airguns so I can shoot targets in my backyard and just not be around gun people at the shooting range.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I realize this sounds like a troll but I fully mean it: if you're watching hours of youtubes about when you should and should not be shooting people, go to therapy instead. I guarantee your life is not that dangerous, and fixating on the use of lethal force is not doing your mental health any favors.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The amount of people who open carry around where I live is loving laughable to me. Five years in Memphis and I never once felt compelled to carry a gun at all. The people out here in the loving country are so afraid of their own shadows.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The amount of people who open carry around where I live is loving laughable to me. Five years in Memphis and I never once felt compelled to carry a gun at all. The people out here in the loving country are so afraid of their own shadows.

I think my favorite thing about open carry nuts, or even concealed carry nuts, in the age of COVID is their willingness to view carrying a firearm as risk mitigation but won't wear a loving mask.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
^^^ Yeah those loving morons are hilarious. They get the comparison with putting on a seatbelt, or having smoke detectors, or fire extinguishers, or even a med kit or flat tire kit. Somehow they don't want to wear a mask until they're on a vent and dying. There's a subreddit called r/HermanCainAward for anti science chuds who drank the Flavor Aid and post a poo poo ton of bullshit on FB and then their last post is asking for prayers for themselves or their family member, or the last post is notifying people of their death. Completely preventable deaths.

Problematic Soup posted:

I mean, I am familiar with John Corriea and ASP, and even if I am probably diametrically opposed to almost all his politics, I don’t personally think that he’s a bad person. It seems like he actually is trying to not be a lovely person.

It’s just gotten progressively harder for me to ignore politics since donnie goodbrains came down the escalator, and I have gotten to the point where I am thinking of taking up shooting airguns so I can shoot targets in my backyard and just not be around gun people at the shooting range.

Yeah, my post wasn't just meant for you specifically, it was more continuing the conversation and meant for others as well.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 12, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

I think my favorite thing about open carry nuts, or even concealed carry nuts, in the age of COVID is their willingness to view carrying a firearm as risk mitigation but won't wear a loving mask.

Yup. Every time I go to walmart I see maskless fatasses in trump hats with hammered back 1911s barely holding onto their fraying, decade old leather belt. Every. Single. Time.

Like a goddamn cabbage is going to jump out of a crisper and assault them with brussel sprouts.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

When my unit was deactivated I went from patrolling the streets of ramadi to living in my hometown US city in about 6 weeks, and very regular things got me very amped up and feeling like I needed a weapon. I could feel the siren call of becoming a gun guy, jumping into the welcoming arms of a multi billion dollar industry that sells its product with a culture of constant fear and constant ideation of lethal circumstances. I'm v glad I resisted that and think if I had turned down that path my odds of offing myself or God forbid feeling like I needed to "defend myself" would have been much higher.

They're selling crazy. It's as bad as the nicotine industry imo.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I mean, I never felt compelled to carry a weapon either... until I transitioned. :shrug:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

When my unit was deactivated I went from patrolling the streets of ramadi to living in my hometown US city in about 6 weeks, and very regular things got me very amped up and feeling like I needed a weapon. I could feel the siren call of becoming a gun guy, jumping into the welcoming arms of a multi billion dollar industry that sells its product with a culture of constant fear and constant ideation of lethal circumstances. I'm v glad I resisted that and think if I had turned down that path my odds of offing myself or God forbid feeling like I needed to "defend myself" would have been much higher.

You do realize that knowing self defense techniques, or carrying a gun, or knowing BJJ, or whatever, is just like having a seatbelt or having a fire extinguisher in the house to the vast majority of these people? It's not their whole personality, or their whole life, it's just a part of their routine. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. But It doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing.

Also, historically minorities could not depend on protection from anyone, so they armed themselves in order to protect themselves from racists and bigots. There are a few books about how after Reconstruction, and all through the civil rights era, blacks have defended themselves from terror attacks by arming themselves, because they couldn't count on the police. Sometimes the police were involved in those attacks, especially in the south. That's true even now in many areas. Since Trump was elected, the amount of leftists arming themselves has risen dramatically. The LGBTQ+ community is also arming themselves, and they should, because they are MUCH more likely to be targeted for hate crimes and murder than the average citizen.

Let's not have chuds, the alt right, and white supremacists be the only ones who are armed.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 12, 2021

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Best Friends posted:

I mean, it's not just the gun industry. It's facebook, it's google (youtube), it's AM radio, it's twitter, it's PlutoTV-OAN/Newsmax, it's everywhere. Crazy is profitable. It's a real widespread problem. Most people have no efficient mental defense against the constant onslaught.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Volkova III posted:

I mean, I never felt compelled to carry a weapon either... until I transitioned. :shrug:

I can understand that in Memphis, but as a cis white dude with a giant beard and perpetual rear end in a top hat face, that was typically enough to keep people away from me. I always carried a knife though, just because it was a handy tool, not for anything more nefarious.

Obviously if my situation was different, I wouldn't have felt so secure about myself. My last girlfriend in Memphis would conceal carry in her purse, I had no issues with that and it made sense. She was very good about safe handling and range time.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The defense has rested in the Rittenhouse trail. I assumed that it would take longer.

This guy is going to walk, isn’t he?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Best Friends posted:

I realize this sounds like a troll but I fully mean it: if you're watching hours of youtubes about when you should and should not be shooting people, go to therapy instead. I guarantee your life is not that dangerous, and fixating on the use of lethal force is not doing your mental health any favors.

Oh yeah a friend’s brother I check in on from time to time, because of his extreme over sharing on FB and many other outlets, got mocked on a gun forum for seriously trying to figure out a shower holster in case his enemies chose that moment to strike.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ASAPI posted:

The defense has rested in the Rittenhouse trail. I assumed that it would take longer.

The system is built to protect people like him.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Bored As gently caress posted:

You do realize that knowing self defense techniques, or carrying a gun, or knowing BJJ, or whatever, is just like having a seatbelt or having a fire extinguisher in the house to the vast majority of these people? It's not their whole personality, or their whole life, it's just a part of their routine. I am glad to hear that you are doing better. But It doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing.

Also, historically minorities could not depend on protection from anyone, so they armed themselves in order to protect themselves from racists and bigots. There are a few books about how after Reconstruction, and all through the civil rights era, blacks have defended themselves from terror attacks by arming themselves, because they couldn't count on the police. Sometimes the police were involved in those attacks, especially in the south. That's true even now in many areas. Since Trump was elected, the amount of leftists arming themselves has risen dramatically. The LGBTQ+ community is also arming themselves, and they should, because they are MUCH more likely to be targeted for hate crimes and murder than the average citizen.

Let's not have chuds, the alt right, and white supremacists be the only ones who are armed.

when people are making youtubes about this poo poo, its absolutely their personality.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

The system is built to protect people like him.

Aside from the awful footage of him killing two people and maiming a third, the visual I cannot get out of my mind, no matter what, is him returning to the police line after shots had rang out, with his hands up, and the cops doing *nothing*.

It's *beyond* white privilege. He should've been ordered to the ground and disarmed as a matter of course, seeing as shots had been fired, his weapon cleared and inspected for evidence of having been recently fired, and when it was found out to be the case, confiscated for investigation and Rittenhouse himself *detained* for questioning.

None of that happened. The cops actually told him to get the gently caress out of their way and pepper sprayed him because they thought the active shooter was somewhere else.

It's infuriating. :10bux: says if he hadn't turned himself in he'd have avoided ALL of this poo poo even *AFTER* the internet detectives pieced it together after-the-fact.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 12, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bored As gently caress posted:

No, there are actual use of force experts. It's just that a lot of people claim to be one when they're absolutely not.

The Active Self Protection guy is one. His videos should be watched by anyone who carries a firearm or wants to know self defense principles.

That guy said some very questionable things about “antifa” in 2020.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon posted:

That guy said some very questionable things about “antifa” in 2020.

Very questionable vs awful.

🎶 Lowered Expectations

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

well, shadows do tend to be black :v:

:smith:

ASAPI posted:

was it ever really in doubt

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Best Friends posted:

I guarantee your life is not that dangerous

Your situation is not everyone else's. You can not guarantee anything, and it's ignorant as hell to assume that just because you feel safe means that everyone else is equally as safe.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

I totally get your point but the flip side is that if there’s one lesson that all of these videos teach you it’s that you do not want to be in a situation where you feel compelled to use lethal force, ever. I would rather swallow my pride and lose every argument, surrender my wallet, or run for my life than draw a weapon and fire it because the consequences of the former three examples I gave are dwarfed by the potential legal, financial and psychological consequences of the latter. If you come away from any kind of firearms instruction thinking “Hell yeah, no thug’s gonna get the drop on me and I wish one would try!” then you’re an aspiring Rittenhouse or some other shitbag chud in the making.

That said, if you are someone who feels like you need to carry for whatever reason, then you do have an obligation to scrutinize all of the shoot/no-shoot scenarios that you can so that you can develop an understanding of the very narrow circumstances under which shooting someone is morally and legally justifiable.

I’ve said this before and frankly I wish I could buy a Super Bowl ad saying the same, but firearms proficiency doesn’t make you a more manly man or better citizen. Humility, compassion, empathy and self-confidence do, and that’s poo poo you can’t get by filling out a 4473, to the detriment of all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

When I took my CCW course here in VA I thankfully had a good teacher who didn't do the bare minimum required by law. There wasn't anything close to "you're a good guy with a gun" or "you are a wolf amongst sheep" bullshit rhetoric, just common sense practical instruction. We even did drawing drills with blue guns and snap caps to demonstrate that even in a sterile classroom environment, the situation never favors someone whose weapon is still holstered. The thing he drilled into all of us is that even with a valid CCW that pulling your weapon should *never* be your first option, and actually using it should always be a last resort, if only for the legal and procedural headaches that always result even from clean and justifiable shootings. The class started with 15 and ended with eight because the seven who hosed off wanted a rubber stamp instructor.

I still never socialized with any of the rest of my class past what was necessary because I could sense that a good *half* of them heard that and thought something to the tune of ":rolleyes: :jerkbag: :v:."

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Best Friends posted:

I will disagree with you completely. I'm not saying everywhere, anytime is Fallujah; but I saw my first violent crime- with death- before I started elementary school. I was held up at knife point in elementary school.

The world can be dangerous as hell, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with making yourself smarter in safety. His videos are mostly AARs with Lessons Learned and passed on, because it reminds people the world is dangerous. You don't want to be the last dipshit with his dick in the hand when the music stops.

I'm not saying it can't be unhealthy, but to tell people the world isn't a dangerous place when it absolutely is, and there is no shame in learning to be safer. Most of his videos are more about avoiding incidents, and increasing basic survival skills that people forget (like not staring at your phone).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yup. Every time I go to walmart I see maskless fatasses in trump hats with hammered back 1911s barely holding onto their fraying, decade old leather belt. Every. Single. Time.

Like a goddamn cabbage is going to jump out of a crisper and assault them with brussel sprouts.

I find the idea of carrying a gun full-time weird enough, but hammer back? In what loving universe do you need to do that?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I find the idea of carrying a gun full-time weird enough, but hammer back? In what loving universe do you need to do that?

It's a single action pistol with a safety. So you have the hammer back and the safety on so it's actually ready to shoot if you need it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
1911s are lousy carry weapons for a few reasons, but that's not one of them.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Every time you want to carry a 1911. It's the safest practical way to carry the pistol loaded. It's the way it's designed.

If it's possible to carry a gun in Single Action with a safety, I do. My personal Beretta doesn't even decock specifically because I prefer to carry it the way I carry a 1911.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Godholio posted:

1911s are lousy carry weapons for a few reasons, but that's not one of them.

*insert this explains why the Marines liked it so much joke*

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The boring actuarial answer to safety is usually stuff like don’t be overweight, no smoking or drinking, check for and remove slip, trip, fall hazards at home and work, no opiates without careful medical use, know how to swim and be careful around water, minimize your exposure to automobile travel, do not travel by helicopter, and COVID, lately, etc.

For those who carry a gun or own a gun, yeah, have serious and real thoughts about use force as well as safe storage.

For everyone, guns or no, risk analysis is hard, humans kind of suck at it at the individual level, and it’s probably something boring like cars, falling, work, and home safety that will most likely injure you. And your heart that will get you health-wise.

But also it’s just more terrifying to think about a person committing violence against you than it is to think about falling down your steps or getting in a car wreck, so I understand why people (self included) outsize it in our heads.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

bulletsponge13 posted:

Every time you want to carry a 1911. It's the safest practical way to carry the pistol loaded. It's the way it's designed.

If it's possible to carry a gun in Single Action with a safety, I do. My personal Beretta doesn't even decock specifically because I prefer to carry it the way I carry a 1911.

I personally prefer DA/SA hammer fired pistols for concealed carry. I carry appendix and my brain doesn't like re-holstering a striker fired pistol at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

But also it’s just more terrifying to think about a person committing violence against you than it is to think about falling down your steps or getting in a car wreck, so I understand why people (self included) outsize it in our heads.

Yea, my personal thought is that everything I can't deal with by being aware, not putting myself in stupid situations, and de-escalating can be dealt with by BJJ and boxing, basically belligerent drunk people.

Everything else, like someone competent trying to murder or rob me, a weapon is gonna do nothing more than be some fancy loot on my corpse.