Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
What if war memorial wall, but a sociopath on the internet gets money and every time someone looks up a loved one a species goes extinct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Bitcoin: It's Simply The Best Coin.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

salt shakeup posted:

Bitcoin: It's Simply The Best Coin.

Crypto.com, it's a metal card.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

everyone knows its all about pegglecoin

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very serious question, did anyone say "shitpoocurrency" yet

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
All NFTs are dumb, and all cryptobros are dumb, but I seriously don’t understand how buying one of a thousand(ten thousand?) monkey pictures for your avatar is supposed to in any way make a person profit in the future

All of those bored monkey pictures are really dumb looking and look like something a person would make for a joke forum thread about free avatars. Why the gently caress is Rolling Stone desperately getting involved. My brain.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tech people with money are dumb

Greedy out of touch olds with money are dumb

Tech people and greedy out of touch olds are into crypto poo poo

Companies are run by greedy out of touch olds and greedy tech people

Companies are into crypto poo poo

One of the knock on effects of having people never separate work from personal life is that companies buy into and donate to obvious scams and cults constantly because the higher ups at those companies are into them

jokes fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 11, 2021

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

when what you posted gets some blowback but you don't want to see anymore criticism against you.

the guy used to post for the verge and i guess he's doing some substack or patreon thing now. guess you gotta come up with these takes to get some views.

the dude got airdropped like 16k worth of tokens for registering a domain, now he thinks crypto is super cool and above the level, yep, absolutely no parallels to the dot com bubble there

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rotinaj posted:

All NFTs are dumb, and all cryptobros are dumb, but I seriously don’t understand how buying one of a thousand(ten thousand?) monkey pictures for your avatar is supposed to in any way make a person profit in the future

All of those bored monkey pictures are really dumb looking and look like something a person would make for a joke forum thread about free avatars. Why the gently caress is Rolling Stone desperately getting involved. My brain.

cryptobros think just making something rare is enough to make it eventually valuable. they're constantly trying to reinvent trading cards and lootboxes and poo poo, without bothering to provide any reason to want the stuff on its own merits

big companies are jumping in because they smell money and NFT garbage is getting a ton of media attention

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

cryptobros think just making something rare is enough to make it eventually valuable. they're constantly trying to reinvent trading cards and lootboxes and poo poo, without bothering to provide any reason to want the stuff on its own merits

It's very cargo cult art market and they're trying to substitute actual art with "crypto". And since they don't understand art, the art market, or crypto (we know that since anyone who actually does understand it keeps away from it), they believe that buying a link to a jpg is an investment. It's kind of amazing how they can hold onto that delusion when all of the evidence, including the secondary market for NFTs says the exact opposite.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re trying to replace as many variables in as many equations as possible with “crypto”.

Assets = Liabilities + Equity?

No, Crypto + Crypto = Crypto

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They can always replace the link with good art later.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They believe themselves to be capitalist but really missed the point of capitalism. They're confusing "demand" with "demand for money." Goods and services are just pretend social constructs, and can be replaced with any other pretend social construct which will serve the same function of delivering wealth.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Have any NFT rug pulls replaced all the monkey pictures with Goatse yet?

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah the the 'goods and services' here are scams and ransomware.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1458505210775494658
https://twitter.com/CaseyNewton/status/1458519385128112131

Tweeting "What is the meaning of life?" and then closing the thread when the Twitter hivemind exhausts everything there is to be said about the question. Another productive day.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Nov 11, 2021

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I think I figured what's going on. The Capitalists had to invent Morality to stop them ripping society apart with greed but then after a century of The Tendency of the Rate Of Profit to fall they just went "gently caress it" and now all bets are off.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

There is an actual use for cryptocurrency.

https://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14479613

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yeah it's crime.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Well yeah, we already knew about the money laundering.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
buying powders that make you see or forget things (sometimes both) from russia / china / india

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Have any NFT rug pulls replaced all the monkey pictures with Goatse yet?

Thst seems like an unnecesary number of steps. Why not sell procedurally-generated collectible goatses?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Thst seems like an unnecesary number of steps. Why not sell procedurally-generated collectible goatses?

The economy couldn't survive all the capital flows that would drive.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

quote:

Universal Music, the home to top-selling musicians like Drake and Taylor Swift, is working with collector Jimmy McNelis to convert four of his NFTs into a band called Kingship. Kingship consists of four digital characters -- three bored apes and one mutant ape -- all part of an NFT collection known as the Bored Ape Yacht Club. The club is one of the most successful NFT stories of the past year; it gave anyone who bought one of the apes full commercial rights to use the image.

10:22PM, one of Universal's labels, has hired a team of crypto artists and animators to turn the two-dimensional apes into three-dimensional beings. The company will record music for Kingship that it releases on streaming services. The "band" will perform and participate in video games, virtual-reality applications and across the constellation of digital experiences known as the metaverse. "You can call it an NFT band, or think of them as characters," Celine Joshua, the head of 10:22, said in an interview this week. "The characters will come to life. The apes will come to life."

As technophiles coalesce around the idea of Web 3.0 -- a decentralized internet -- Joshua has jumped into the world of NFTs. That's how she met McNelis, one of the leading collectors. McNelis acquired hundreds of ape NFTs from Yuga Labs LLC, the creator of the Bored Ape Yacht Club, and has a collection that he estimates is worth more than $100 million. He was an early buyer of Ethereum, a cryptocurrency. Joshua pitched him on the idea of creating a new group, and picked four characters that she thought would work as a band. That includes a golden ape, another of which just sold at Sotheby's for $3.4 million. Kingship's golden ape is valued at around $190,000 at current prices, according to offer data on OpenSea, the largest marketplace for NFTs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-11/the-world-s-largest-record-company-is-creating-an-nft-super-group

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Literally everything written here could absolutely be done without an NFT.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/nicodotgay/status/1458891554026930181

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

in my veins plz

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

quote:

it gave anyone who bought one of the apes full commercial rights to use the image.

did it though?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Seemingly: https://boredapeyachtclub.com/#/terms

Interestingly, you can seemingly only display the art if "the website/application cryptographically verifies each Bored Ape owner’s rights to display the Art for their Bored Ape to ensure that only the actual owner can display the Art". Wonder if this makes use on sites like Twitter effectively illegal?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Illuminti posted:

did it though?

Kind of? Maybe? It's completely unenforceable either way.

BAYC T&C posted:

OWNERSHIP
i. You Own the NFT. Each Bored Ape is an NFT on the Ethereum blockchain. When you purchase an NFT, you own the underlying Bored Ape, the Art, completely. Ownership of the NFT is mediated entirely by the Smart Contract and the Ethereum Network: at no point may we seize, freeze, or otherwise modify the ownership of any Bored Ape.

ii. Personal Use. Subject to your continued compliance with these Terms, Yuga Labs LLC grants you a worldwide, royalty-free license to use, copy, and display the purchased Art, along with any extensions that you choose to create or use, solely forthe following purposes: (i) for your own personal, non-commercial use; (ii) as part of a marketplace that permits the purchase and sale of your Bored Ape / NFT, provided that the marketplace cryptographically verifies each Bored Ape owner’s rights to display the Art for their Bored Ape to ensure that only the actual owner can display the Art; or (iii) as part of a third party website or application that permits the inclusion, involvement, or participation of your Bored Ape, provided that the website/application cryptographically verifies each Bored Ape owner’s rights to display the Art for their Bored Ape to ensure that only the actual owner can display the Art, and provided that the Art is no longer visible once the owner ofthe Bored Ape leaves the website/application.

iii. Commercial Use. Subject to your continued compliance with these Terms, Yuga Labs LLC grants you an unlimited, worldwide license to use, copy, and display the purchased Art for the purpose of creating derivative works based upon the Art (“Commercial Use”). Examples of such Commercial Use would e.g. be the use of the Art to produce and sell merchandise products (T-Shirts etc.) displaying copies of the Art.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Kind of? Maybe? It's completely unenforceable either way.

I’d point 1 is true why do you need point 2 and 3 and why are they subject to “your continued compliance with these Terms”

It’s either yours or it isn’t

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah I dont know how they square "When you purchase an NFT, you own the underlying Bored Ape, the Art, completely" with all of the restrictions they then put on it in the following paragraphs.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I hearby transfer copyright ownership of everything created by anyone ever to the person specified by a text file on my hard drive.

This is legally binding and replaces all traditional proof of creation and rights transfer documents, because this post is a very legal sounding post.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ikanreed posted:

I hearby transfer copyright ownership of everything created by anyone ever to the person specified by a text file on my hard drive.

This is legally binding and replaces all traditional proof of creation and rights transfer documents, because this post is a very legal sounding post.

To Prince's vault, I go.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

small butter posted:

The loving GORILLAZ have been doing it for decades. Are they purposely doing this with monkeys or are they just that loving clueless?

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Holy poo poo this thread is still on the front page? “don’t touch the poop” didn’t work out so well.

the last signal...
Apr 16, 2009

nebby posted:

Holy poo poo this thread is still on the front page? “don’t touch the poop” didn’t work out so well.

greetings pooptoucher, we meet at last

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
I can feel the FOMO coursing through my veins.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

nebby posted:

There's a front page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

small butter posted:

Literally everything there was done by Gorillaz 20+ years ago.