Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

skasion posted:

Herbert is kind of vague and/or changed his mind about how much more life spice gets you. In the first book it doesn’t seem like that much, decades rather than centuries. Later it seems more powerful, like Miles is loving 300 or something.

You need to be extremely spicy to get the eyes. Normal rich person spice use where you spice the food with it isn’t enough. You’ve got to either breathe it constantly like the Guildsmen or Fremen, or snort it constantly like Piter.

Miles is that old due to selective breeding. He's never touched spice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

skasion posted:

Herbert is kind of vague and/or changed his mind about how much more life spice gets you. In the first book it doesn’t seem like that much, decades rather than centuries. Later it seems more powerful, like Miles is loving 300 or something.

You need to be extremely spicy to get the eyes. Normal rich person spice use where you spice the food with it isn’t enough. You’ve got to either breathe it constantly like the Guildsmen or Fremen, or snort it constantly like Piter.

The Bene Gesserit are supposed to get them as well after they undergo the spice agony. Also there are a lot of people that are using contact lenses to conceal the extent of their spice addiction in the books.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
So eyes of ibad = methmouth?

Thinking about the spice further - the BG Reverend Mother process is one way to obtain prescience, but its sketchy and requires years of BG training at a minimum. How do Guild Navigators do it? Are they literally just marinating in spicy meringue farts until their inner eye is open / they have fish faces?

Could the BG have locked a mentat in a fart locker and came out with a KH figure on the spot?

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Vampire Panties posted:

How do Guild Navigators do it? Are they literally just marinating in spicy meringue farts until their inner eye is open / they have fish faces?

Mohiam says "The Guild, so we think, emphasizes almost pure mathematics." So another form of extreme mental control and conditioning + lots of spice.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
BG dont have prescience, they have ancestral memories instead

The Guild looks forward while the Bene Gesserit look back

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AnEdgelord posted:

:420::biotruths:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

AnEdgelord posted:

:aaaaa:

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

TK-42-1 posted:

Daily Fremen Schedule:
Death
Death
Death
Death
Death
Spice Lunch
Death
Death
Death
Coffee Service
Death
Death
Sand Shower….

Muad'Dib kills sixty billion people, you're almost thinking... "well done!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Halloween Jack posted:

A handful of spice will buy you a home on Tupile, so I don't think the middle class is putting spice in their morning coffee. I assume it's as rare and expensive as whatever Satanic elixir keeps Henry Kissinger and Nancy Pelosi alive.
They say the middle class is able to get (diluted) melange: "Even the vast middle class of the Imperium ate diluted melange in small sprinklings with at least one meal a day."

I assume it was pretty diluted but presumably a random Fremen who moved off-world in Paul's Jihad would have been able to afford enough to keep his habit up.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Nobody offworld outside like Guild Navigators has access to anything like the same quantities. Fremen are snorting space acid worth many times its weight in gold with every breath

hmm maybe there's no 800 year old Fremen because after hanging around Arrakis too long they start turning into hosed up fish-bat things

I think Edric is a fish-man because he's from space, not because he does so much spice. He needs the tank because normal gravity would kill him.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

mossyfisk posted:

I think Edric is a fish-man because he's from space, not because he does so much spice. He needs the tank because normal gravity would kill him.

Dune doesn't really do "aliens" or non-Earth-like conditions, unless I grossly misremember 5-6's explanations.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the navigators are mainlining concentrated spice 24/7

the fremen are just basically living in a lovely tenement breathing asbestos

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Guild Navigator: Yeah I like Dune..

..Dune concentrated spice!

No I will never tire of this joke format stop asking

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

priznat posted:

Guild Navigator: Yeah I like Dune..

..Dune concentrated spice!

No I will never tire of this joke format stop asking

Is it possible to still make an original Fremen poop/thigh pad/stillsuit-fart joke? Or, after five hundred and ninety-nine pages, have we reached the limits of the format?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I bet you can boof the spice. I bet Frank's last book would have had a vague description of spice boofing. It may even have been in his notes, but failson and KJA saw it and were like "eww, no butt stuff."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If you wonder how he poops and pees, and other science facts
You'll be pleased to hear that we do know, it's processed in the thigh pads

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So is all the spice in their diet filtered into the thighpads with their poop? Can you get high on fremen poop?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Shoehead posted:

I kinda wish those movies were more stand alone because he's perfect for the ernest dork trying to do the right thing vibe teenage Peter Parker always seems to have, I just wanted him to deal with like Rhino ruining a school dance or some poo poo without taking to Tony Stark about it first
of all the things in the MCU that are related to, dependent on or otherwise linked to Tony Stark I wanted maybe 5% to be such and that explicitly includes the Iron Man movies

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

It's definitely because he freebases spice gas 24/7

galagazombie posted:

So is all the spice in their diet filtered into the thighpads with their poop? Can you get high on fremen poop?

It's worth finding out. You go first let's see

Tree Bucket posted:

Is it possible to still make an original Fremen poop/thigh pad/stillsuit-fart joke? Or, after five hundred and ninety-nine pages, have we reached the limits of the format?

We'll never get fresh poop jokes with that attitude.

For instance you go into a public bathroom right after a Fremen and yell out WHEW WHAT DIED IN HERE IT SMELLS LIKE SPOILED CINNAMON LATTEeeeeeeuhhhhh....whoa. WHOA. Tracers, man. Bro get in here you have to hit this dude

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure the Fremen have extensive jokes based around stillsuits functioning properly or otherwise

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
is that a malfunctioning feces filter that got all jammed up in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Do they stop and take a little break to poop or have they trained themselves to just poo poo mid-stride?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ror posted:

Do they stop and take a little break to poop or have they trained themselves to just poo poo mid-stride?

Well the thighpad processing motion works best when you're squatting, so yes.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, I looked up the 6-book boxed set of Frank's Dune books on Amazon, and found this confusing 1-star review:

quote:

I have a profound appreciation for the Dune novels. If you want to read Frank Herbert's Dune, then keep looking, this is not it. This is an edited, redacted, and sanitized version that has produced a kinder, gentler Dune. Without the deleted segments, the Harkonnens are not as despicable and evil, the Bene Gesserite are not as plotting and manipulating, the Navigators are not self made freaks (and not even a mention of folding space). The result of the decent into a sea of grey is that the Atreides also do not stand out in contrast. If you want a more family friendly Dune, this is for you.
Apparently 380 people found it helpful! But as far as I can tell it's completely made up and wrong. From finding random old reddit discussions and stuff it sounds like the dude is literally just remembering scenes from the Lynch movie and is mad that they're not in the books.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Martman posted:

Lol, I looked up the 6-book boxed set of Frank's Dune books on Amazon, and found this confusing 1-star review:

Apparently 380 people found it helpful! But as far as I can tell it's completely made up and wrong. From finding random old reddit discussions and stuff it sounds like the dude is literally just remembering scenes from the Lynch movie and is mad that they're not in the books.

This is weirdly common. Not this specific delusion but the error of attributing Lynch Dune stuff to the original book, sometimes even from people who don’t like the movie.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Yeah I mix that poo poo up constantly, and I've read the book a whole bunch.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I just love the idea of Mandela-effecting yourself into thinking the SJWs ruined your favorite books

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

lmao

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*me, my fat gross body looming over the terrified young woman i have cornered at the party*

"when is a gift not a gift?"
"sorry, i have to go now!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
If you poop without rhythm, you probably need more fiber and vegetables in your diet.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wingnut Ninja posted:

If you poop without rhythm, you probably need more fiber and vegetables in your diet.

hey everybody check out scatman over here!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

DandyLion posted:

hey everybody check out scatman over here!

Everybody's prescient one way or the other
So check out my message to you
As a matter of vice, I don't let nothin' touch my spice
If the Muad'Dib can do it, so can you

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Tree Bucket posted:

Nothing is ever new, we're only plagiarizing the classics again and again.

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not shart in her husband’s thighpads, ruining the silence of the desert crossing and endangering the whole tribe.”

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Bubblyblubber posted:

Nothing is ever new, we're only plagiarizing the classics again and again.

“Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not shart in her husband’s thighpads, ruining the silence of the desert crossing and endangering the whole tribe.”

"That's why I poo poo without rhythm." :smug:

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
“Polish comes from the cities; jerky from the desert.”

-Arrakeen villager saying

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ror posted:

Everybody's prescient one way or the other
So check out my message to you
As a matter of vice, I don't let nothin' touch my spice
If the Muad'Dib can do it, so can you

'While you're still sleeping, the saints are still weeping because
Things you call dead haven't had the chance to be born.
I'm the God Emperor." - Leto Atreides II, The Stolen Journals

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009
Imagine walking without rhythm and smearing your poo encrusted cheeks across each other all day long

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mrs. Dash posted:

Imagine walking without rhythm and smearing your poo encrusted cheeks across each other all day long
No. I will not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't be gross. Stillsuits come with a pooptube.