Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

yeah these are meaningless and unhelpful to a player who doesn't have gigantic piles of currency already. they're not even guides, they're just a shopping list.

Mutations are a non issue. Most high levels can craft them all so that's covered.

Armor, yeah, that is a horrible grind. I feel that the 4* Legendary crafting is a step in the right direction but unless that gets expanded to all stars and not just the fourth you are better off checking player vendors for matching sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Sensenmann posted:

I genuinely miss the days when you could stack damage so high that a single hit from my Bloodied Power Fist could end the Queen. Melee used to be so OP that Legacy users cried during Scorched Earth because the damned dirty Melee builds stole their thunder. It was glorious. Extremely silly and OP but glorious. :D

i remember very vividly the first time I fought the queen after they added in damage numbers because of how ridiculous melee numbers could get. I think I have a video somewhere of myself doing 15,000 per swing, then eating and drinking and going up to 30,000 per swing.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

On the other hand don't focus too hard on having a full unyielding set and just play whatever it is that you enjoy playing. Bloodied builds aren't for everyone and I probably see one or two good bloodied player for every 4 in DOs that are downed 2-3 times a run.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Discospawn posted:

My point was that the you should focus on getting an Unyielding set, which is a 1-star effect. You definitely shouldn't be gambling on 3-star armor pieces until you get a 1-star set you are happy with. Similarly, there's no reason to worry about min-maxing specific mutations, the optimal play is to acquire all of them and use Class Freak and Strange in Numbers to get a ridiculous amount of stats/utility in exchange for a couple perk cards.

this is not that unreasonable but yeah as mentioned Bloodied is maybe not the ideal first goal for the guy who's been playing for 10 days.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Sensenmann posted:

New ITV

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/3vVlHVYdidZRWpy1IZi3gl/fallout-76-inside-the-vault-fallout-1st-limited-preview-and-weekend

For those wondering, after the 1st trial is over you can't put stuff into the scrap box any longer but you can still access it and take stuff out of it.

Fill it with as much scrap as you can find. Drop caps on Vendor bots to buy bulk junk. Ask a friend with 1st for a "donation".

Note that Stable Flux can be put into the scrapbox so this might be the perfect opportunity to stock up on it.

This is the same as the Elder Scrolls Online when it does its subscriber (ESO Plus) preview. Gather up all the crafting mats you can and shove them into the magic crafting bag for later.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Taerkar posted:

On the other hand don't focus too hard on having a full unyielding set and just play whatever it is that you enjoy playing. Bloodied builds aren't for everyone and I probably see one or two good bloodied player for every 4 in DOs that are downed 2-3 times a run.

Not defending bad Bloodied builds but the current DO, Cloaked Toxic Robots in the Burning Mine, is a prime example for DOs that you can easily do as Bloodied but you might die a couple of times anyways.

Toxic is a non issue, we have Funky Duds.

The Burning Mine is huge, so going stealth all the time isn't going to work.

Cloaked Robots don't get detected by Berry Mentats so you running into one by accident is not unusual.

Add Piercing Strike to this and you have a risky but fun DO.

The bad builds are those that waste time asking for a revive instead of respawning on the spot. :)

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah, some of the Double Mutations seem specifically designed to counter the most meta builds, but even just the original launch of Daily Ops seemed like a way to punish stealth users. The ops can still become relatively trivial if you switch up your build in response to the specific mutation(s) of the day, but it definitely seems like a design decision by Bethesda to force players to farm multiple end-game builds so characters have the luxury of making that switch.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

so I stumbled across a youtube bideo explaining that the throttle for how often you can get a mutation is once per session, and you just drink a few hundred dirty water you get from any open water source until you have all the mutations. I should have done that at like level 5 lol holy poo poo that system is dumb

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I used the rad barrels outside Blackwater Mine and server hopped. Much faster.

Problem is that you have no control over which mutation you get by doing it this way so if you get one you don't want you have to pop a Radaway or jump into a decon arch. Which one gets removed is also random, so yeah, be prepared to hop a lot of servers.

In short, getting serums from vendors or crafting them yourself is the way to go.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

since cap gain is throttled, no not really, I just have literally all the mutations except carnivore and don't care about the maluses because the total effect after class freak is an overwhelming positive.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Having all mutations is, even with Class Freak, a Jack of all Trades, Master of None, kind of deal.

You can, basically, play any build but you'll not deal as much damage as builds who carefully chose mutations. Or aim as good. Or tank as much.

You'll probably only notice this during boss fights, though, so if that's cool for you, roll with it.

If you ever have caps to burn, the average selling point is 300-350 caps per serum. Never pay more.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have never seen any serums for sale at any player vendor :shrug:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I bought all of my serums from the bunker, but not that it's was all that hard to bang your head against the caps limit.

If you install the text chat mod you can probably find someone on there that can make you a serum.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
If a vendor has a lot of items under "MISC" it's most likely serums.

Alternatively, if you ever catch me online (same name as here) I can give you some for free. At some point, caps become an actual nuisance thanks to the dumb limit. Heck, I buy Bulk Junk from the bots just to get rid of caps.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it really doesn't matter too much to me, the only maluses that matter to me at all are the ones from talons and twisted muscles, and they're honestly negligible after class freak :shrug:
they don't benefit me but the malus is so small in the big picture that I don't give a poo poo, -1 Agi out of 22? -12% gun acc for commando with 24 perception and Concentrated Fire 3? who cares? I am totally OK being ~not optimal~
e: current perks, works fine, I don't Tenderizer was stacking with the effect from Follow Through legendary perk so I switched to Inspirational 3, yadda yadda
a sub optimal build

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 9, 2021

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Building a character in this game sounds absolutely miserable

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Eraflure posted:

It is fine if you do not min max and play the way you want. Except with pistols. They always suck

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Eraflure posted:

I just started recently and I'm actually pretty happy with how the game manages to make character creation feel like it matters while still making it very hard to cripple your character long term.

The actual engine is very janky but I think a lot of actual MMOs could take tips on character growth mechanics from this game.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Eraflure posted:

its not as hard as people itt make it out to be tbh.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr Hootington posted:

It is fine if you do not min max and play the way you want. Except with pistols. They always suck

Yeah its pretty much this and grinding for the Gauss Shotgun imo

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Eraflure posted:

I'm honestly having fun but yeah don't worry too much about being optimal, the game is extremely grindy if you are really fixated on having a perfect character. It sounds like you're really loving up if you get "bad" mutations but if you give 4 perk points to Class Freak/Strange in Numbers and just create or join a team when you log on (even in a team of 1) the total effect is very positive. Aside from the mathematical effects, you run really fast, jump really high and have a lot of hang time, I can headshot 2-3 bad guys in mid jump with VATs and it's pretty fun :kimchi:

you don't need turbo awesome equipment either, my favorite gun is a combat rifle with Anti-Armor and increased rate of fire, with a bunch of trash armor pieces that have semi-OK effects on them.

Bremen posted:

I just started recently and I'm actually pretty happy with how the game manages to make character creation feel like it matters while still making it very hard to cripple your character long term.

The actual engine is very janky but I think a lot of actual MMOs could take tips on character growth mechanics from this game.

the early leveling experience isn't great but yeah after you keep leveling and fix some of the mistakes you made it's pretty nice. I think it goes a little too far in this direction, because you have an incentive to shuffle things like lockpicking and hacking in and out in the field but later you can take the Master Infiltrator legendary perk and you don't have to slot any of the regular perks for unlocking stuff ever again.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 9, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The power curve is one of those where either end is steep but once you hit the middle plateau you're in a pretty good shape to handle most anything in the game.

Edit: A decent heavy weapon build is pretty simple and you're guaranteed to get a rather good 50 cal from a story quest that you'll probably be at max gear level for anyways if you don't rush it.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 10, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Final Word is the absolute best quest reward in this game. AA FFR 250DR while reloading. No other reward comes even close to it and it has been my go to heavy weapon for a long time.

I'd probably still use it but I got my hands on a Bloodied FFR version and that's just superior in just about every way. For low health. For full health you have a ton of options with Final Word being a good choice if you can't be arsed to play the Module/Core -> Scrip game.

For god mode, just get a Vampire whatever. PA Heavy with a Vampire weapon is virtually unkillable. Takes longer to murder poo poo but the poo poo you try to murder can't murder you because any damage they deal to you is irrelevant. :D

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

If you go with a HW build that involves you grabbing every perk that involves HW in any way you'll be in a good place. Bloodied doesn't work as well in PA as it used to, which can make it harder for less experienced players, but PA also gives you pretty stupid levels of damage reduction to compensate.

Final Word + 3 ranks of Stabilized means you'll get something like 72% armor reduction on your targets which means you'll be doing pretty consistent damage against most anything outside of the SBQ or Earle as long as you're not shooting the shells of the mirelurks or something similar.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 10, 2021

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I agree although I honestly think that Bloodied PA works even better these days thanks to Overeaters and a right combination of perks. Sure, we lost A LOT of damage thanks to One Wasteland but the Legendary Perks and the Legendary PA more then make up for that.

You don't get the Unyielding benefits, obviously, but if you run Nerd Rage, Emergency Protocols on the torso and make sure you are well fed or well hydrated you can tank just about everything the game throws at you. It's insane.

And it gets extremely silly with the right armor and 2 Legendary Perks. Electrical Absorption and Power Armor Reboot plus Overeater with AP Refresh and a mix of Sentinel/Cavalier and the enemies might as well not bother anymore because you absolutely can't die. Adding Dodgy, Ricochet, Funky Duds and Sizzling Style is just adding insult to injury at that point.

But yes, this is not a setup new players have access to and won't have for a long time.

Full Health PA is the starter kit and that's really low maintenance. Plus, no animation for Stimpacking. :)

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Per a recent interview with Todd "Sweet Little Lies" Howard at IGN, Fallout 5 is just an idea currently. It will come after Starfield (November 2022...or later) and Elder Scrolls 6. This means 2027 at the earliest. Todd also shot down the idea of another Microsoft owned studio taking over Fallout. Though other studios may be able to do side games/remakes.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

MH Knights posted:

Per a recent interview with Todd "Sweet Little Lies" Howard at IGN, Fallout 5 is just an idea currently. It will come after Starfield (November 2022...or later) and Elder Scrolls 6. This means 2027 at the earliest. Todd also shot down the idea of another Microsoft owned studio taking over Fallout. Though other studios may be able to do side games/remakes.

FO5 will be pushed to 2028 for the 20th anniversary of still using Gamebryo.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ygolonac posted:

FO5 will be pushed to 2028 for the 20th anniversary of still using Gamebryo.

Technically that would be next year. Gamebyro came from NetImmerse

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Taerkar posted:

Technically that would be next year. Gamebyro came from NetImmerse

I was just going by the Fallout 3 date on the Gamebryo wiki entry.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

unggghghg I hate the Brotherhood content so much

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
here's hoping we get another Fallout before then. I hope it's set in the South. You could do real cool stuff with mutant kudzu.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

here's hoping we get another Fallout before then. I hope it's set in the South. You could do real cool stuff with mutant kudzu.

Bad news, West Virginia is the south, so you're already looking at "Fallout Good-ol-Boy"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Frankly, I wouldn't play Fallout: Alabama. 76 is enough of Fallout: Deliverance.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about Fallout: Louisiana?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The Lone Badger posted:

We've already got The Mire

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Another Bill posted:

We've already got The Mire

There's a distinct lack of hurricanes, whoring and being forced to support impossibly corrupt and deranged caricatures of humanity to protect yourself from even more corrupt and deranged caricatures of humanity.

Also Gatorclaws, there's a fundamental lack of Gatorclaws.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

The Lone Badger posted:

I think with the announcement this week that 5 is basically a one sheet of paper concept, 76 is likely to be my last Fallout game.

Also I'd want more manner of terrain than swamp and flat depositional soil with no altitude variance. Somewhere in the gulf states pretty much guarantees no mountains to climb, no valleys to fall into, and if Florida, absolutely overrun by old ghouls on golf carts complaining about taxes.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Frankly, I wouldn't play Fallout: Alabama. 76 is enough of Fallout: Deliverance.

Point lookout was set in Maryland, but it did have Deliverance style hillbilly ghouls. That's probably as close as we're gonna get. At least for the foreseeable future.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
there's no way Microsoft let's Fallout do nothing for a decade. We'll get another game soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
I agree. Probably not from Beth but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It's also entirely possible that they just go the lazy route and release a remaster of the old installments.