Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Thanks Ants posted:

I am not above causing failures in these situations

We call that "preemptive warranty engagement".

ETA: We call this "a lovely page snipe" .

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Yeah they seem to be starting to come back. Portal and everything is working again. Calls are starting to come back.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

angry armadillo posted:

I dont know your role exactly but I assume if the guy is your report, the issue he fixed ultimately sits under your responsibility and he should respect that you therefore need to understand what is going on. That seems like quite a fundamental issue.

If the project that you were implying criticism about has been loitering for 6 months and not moving, how much responsibility falls to you for that issue? I get that you might tell me your report is supposed to do it, but if you are his line manager, how much are you supposed to be driving it and do you think you have been doing so?

I think if you can tell us you have been trying to push this on, then we are heading towards performance management, but if we asked your report for his side of the story and said what do you think MustardFacial should be doing to move this project forward, what do you think he would tell us?

Background info:

* I've been working at this company for 1 month as a mid-level System Administrator. My direct report is a Sr. System Administrator. My manager is the IT Manager.
* They have 2 Citrix infrastructures. One is built on XenApp 6.5 (which went EOL in 2016), and one is built on Virtual Apps and Desktops 1912 LTSR
* XenApp6.5 in combination with a public facing RDS implementation is what is currently being used in production.
* Version 1912 has been "built" (base install, default settings, no real configuration) for 6 months now.
* The task to migrate the users from 6.5 to 1912 was given from the Sr. Sysadmin to some dude in helpdesk who has done nothing with it.

In the short time that I have been here, there has been nothing but problems with RDS and XenApp. My recommendation to the senior sysadmin was that before we migrate everyone to version 1912 and continue to have the same problems, that we look into getting a test license for Virtual Desktops as well to eliminate RDS completely (I loving hate RDS). During those discussions he said if we're going to do that we might as well go whole hog and use the Citrix hypervisor as well since it gives much better performance with Virtual Apps and Desktop than ESXi. Having no basis for comparison and believing that he knew something I didn't I agreed.

That is when all of the stuff from my previous post comes in. Because of everything we had said before I believed that our intention was to scrap it all and start over again, however his actual intention was to just add the virtual desktop license and then migrate the existing base install VM's from esxi to Citrix Hypervisor.

In any case, nothing has come of it and nothing has been mentioned about the project. Since then however we had a disaster of a datacentre move that occurred precisely because the Sr. sysadmin and the IT Manager went in with an attitude of "gently caress documentation, we're going to yolo this. It'll be fine" and my opinion has been "hey guys, there is a lot of unknowns here. We should get our ducks in a row before we step foot in the datacenter."

These are all great big red flags, I know but the pay is decent, I have good benefits, everyone is very chill most of the time, and in the last year I've worked at 3 different companies. So a part of me just wants a bit of stability for a bit before I inevitably jump ship again for probably another dumpster fire of a company.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please for the love of god do not go to XenServer for performance reasons with XenDesktop. You are opening yourselves to a whole host of issues, not including the fact that you'll never be able to hire someone who knows XenServer.

Also, why does a Sr. Systems Administrator report to you if your title is Systems Administrator?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Internet Explorer posted:

Please for the love of god do not go to XenServer for performance reasons with XenDesktop. You are opening yourselves to a whole host of issues, not including the fact that you'll never be able to hire someone who knows XenServer.

Also, why does a Sr. Systems Administrator report to you if your title is Systems Administrator?

He doesn't report to me, we kind of work together but from a managerial standpoint I'm supposed to report to him.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That sounds real dumb.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MustardFacial posted:

During those discussions he said if we're going to do that we might as well go whole hog and use the Citrix hypervisor as well since it gives much better performance with Virtual Apps and Desktop than ESXi. Having no basis for comparison and believing that he knew something I didn't I agreed.

That is when all of the stuff from my previous post comes in. Because of everything we had said before I believed that our intention was to scrap it all and start over again, however his actual intention was to just add the virtual desktop license and then migrate the existing base install VM's from esxi to Citrix Hypervisor.

Hahahaha someone wants to migrate TO XenServer, in 2021?

ahahahahaha

no but really, :lmao:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Hahahaha someone wants to migrate TO XenServer, in 2021?

ahahahahaha

no but really, :lmao:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lmao citrix engineers don't like xen, why should you?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

That sounds real dumb.

For sure - I am really confused by the management structure at play here which is probably half the problem.

I feel like no one is able to really take ownership of the issues and drive a direction from what you've described. I mean I would expect the IT manager to be doing that, but he is curiously absent from your anecdotes.

I get that you are saying no one wants to, I guess I am saying another way to look at it, is you want to, but are not empowered to do so.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's been a year since SonicWall released their Gen7 appliances, and having revisited one today running a firmware release from October I can safely say that while some bugs have been fixed, the entire platform is a flaming trash fire. It's so incredibly clear that the company has no idea what they are doing, very basic stuff straight up doesn't work, error messages are cryptic, nobody on support is able to look up where different warnings in the UI are generated from so they just prod and cross their fingers that the issue goes away. Every support call is 'triaged' to probably bend the definition of the word, before inevitably ending up on a 1hr+ support call and a screen share where someone just trials-and-errors their way through a live system before declaring that they have no idea and an escalation taking a week to go anywhere.

gently caress knows why tech companies can't do back-and-forth email support, maybe load my config into a box and confirm the same issue and then work on it in your own time, but I guess insisting on phone calls allows them to kick the issue down the road until it's happening on someone else's shift.

At this point the company is only going to remain in existence by selling service renewals to existing customers who don't know any better, and idiots who use Spiceworks for advice. The one thing they used to have going for them was that they were cheap, but when you can get a FortiGate for less why would you bother with this complete heap of poo poo?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

angry armadillo posted:

For sure - I am really confused by the management structure at play here which is probably half the problem.

I feel like no one is able to really take ownership of the issues and drive a direction from what you've described. I mean I would expect the IT manager to be doing that, but he is curiously absent from your anecdotes.

I get that you are saying no one wants to, I guess I am saying another way to look at it, is you want to, but are not empowered to do so.

The IT manager spends literally from 10 - 6 in meetings. Outside of our daily standup I have talked to him maybe 6 times. I also would expect him to be doing that but he is unable to (and I suspect kind of unwilling to).

The senior, who should be taking ownership and guiding direction very much does not want to. He would be happiest sitting in a dark room implementing changes all day.

I do what I can to guide direction and take ownership but if the senior does not like what I have to say I am either ignored or told something along the lines of "Program X sucks. We're not using it."

If I could take ownership and drive direction on my own I totally would. I'm getting the impression that what I expected was to work with a team, and what they want from me is to not work as a team at all. They want me to find problems, come up with solutions, document them, implement and communicate them without talking to anyone.

Which fine, sure I can do that but it means we'll never have a clean deployment, there will be duplication of efforts everywhere and both of the sysadmins are going to end up silo'd into their respective niches.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

It's been a year since SonicWall released their Gen7 appliances, and having revisited one today running a firmware release from October I can safely say that while some bugs have been fixed, the entire platform is a flaming trash fire. It's so incredibly clear that the company has no idea what they are doing, very basic stuff straight up doesn't work, error messages are cryptic, nobody on support is able to look up where different warnings in the UI are generated from so they just prod and cross their fingers that the issue goes away. Every support call is 'triaged' to probably bend the definition of the word, before inevitably ending up on a 1hr+ support call and a screen share where someone just trials-and-errors their way through a live system before declaring that they have no idea and an escalation taking a week to go anywhere.

gently caress knows why tech companies can't do back-and-forth email support, maybe load my config into a box and confirm the same issue and then work on it in your own time, but I guess insisting on phone calls allows them to kick the issue down the road until it's happening on someone else's shift.

At this point the company is only going to remain in existence by selling service renewals to existing customers who don't know any better, and idiots who use Spiceworks for advice. The one thing they used to have going for them was that they were cheap, but when you can get a FortiGate for less why would you bother with this complete heap of poo poo?

I gotta admit, you've posted a couple things about Sonicwall and I remain confused every time you do because you're generally one of the more knowledgeable / with-IT ( :v: ) posters around here and as such why in the blue gently caress are you using Sonicwall?

Like, Sonicwalls have been a trash fire as long as I've known them to exist and at this point replacing them with a cheap PFsense box (official Netgate I mean, not, like, an old Dell from the storage closet) would be worth the additional support hassle, or Fortigate as you suggest. And if you want ease of management with minimal features and maximum expense you can get Meraki, or maximum features with a lot of expense Palo Alto.

I suggest getting rid of all Sonicwalls you manage. You'll thank yourself, ants. Thanelfants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I consult for clients, sometimes they have these flaming wrecks. I don't buy them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Thanks Ants posted:

I consult for clients, sometimes they have these flaming wrecks.

Ah, I can sympathize with having flaming wrecks of clients.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Thanks Ants posted:

I saw this last night just before bed, and wanted to come back to this: there's an easy answer here.

It takes a certain amount of technical skill and abstract thinking to be able to "work" on something you cannot see or interact with, based on the written words of a customer. The technical skill can be taught, but the abstract thinking...not so much. People with this skillset are hard to find and demand higher pay.

So companies go the other route, and just hire as many keyboard monkeys at ~$11/hr as they need. They muddle their way through by tinkering in a remote session until the problem goes away or they hit the conditions to escalate. The ones who are good at it get promoted out of support or, more likely, seek jobs elsewhere.

Root cause analysis? Preventative measures? You must be joking, why do you care, it's working now, isn't that good enough?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Part of it too is that there's a customer-side perception that email-based or ticket-based communication isn't a high-enough priority. It's something that drives me loving mental because, in 99% of cases, I do work better when I take time to be deliberate, try to simulate in my own work lab environments, etc. but so many people are "YOU NO REPLY TO EMAIL WITHIN 5 MINUTES, CALL ME, ZOOM ME" and it's the worst.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't mind the concept of email troubleshooting, but to ConfusedUs's point, it's almost always hot garbage and/or a stall tactic to get you frustrated enough to stop responding.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 10, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I don't mind the concept of email troubleshooting, but to ConfusedUs's point, it's almost always hot garbage and/or a stall tactic to get you frustrated enough to stop responding.

Even worse is a loving chatbot or over-worked support rep chat

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I'm actually somewhat impressed with Telnyx... They seem to have actually mitigated the DDoS in a day. Said they worked overnight to put their SIP stuff behind CloudFlare. VoIP.MS took weeks to do the same and still had outages for weeks after and provided basically no updates on progress the entire time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You'd sort of hope that they would have done it before getting targeted but at least it was resolved. I presume it's this product https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-spectrum/

stevewm
May 10, 2005
They said Magic Transit. (https://status.telnyx.com/)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yet another day of needing to fix a label printer that I can't fix, and not having any spare parts or replacements.

This is urgent! Affecting care!

Ok, so what do you want me to do?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Order them up a used one from eBay?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

skooma512 posted:

Yet another day of needing to fix a label printer that I can't fix, and not having any spare parts or replacements.

This is urgent! Affecting care!

Ok, so what do you want me to do?

Pull up a chair, you're going to need a sharpie and a bunch of post-it notes.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol, the Windows 10 OOBE on new business PCs we ordered from Dell is offering the Windows 11 update already. Truly a magical time to be alive.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Maneki Neko posted:

Lol, the Windows 10 OOBE on new business PCs we ordered from Dell is offering the Windows 11 update already. Truly a magical time to be alive.

Yeah, it's been doing that for a lil bit, if you tell it you don't have internet it won't offer it to you though!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Damnit, we have to go back to doing that? I think pre-1909 you had to say "lol no internet here" or you were forced to use a Microsoft account.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
During a service event yesterday I got paged, took a look at the issue and evaluated it as not impacting my customer, then went back to what I was doing. I neglected to check a box on a tool that reports us as having checked in with the customer so that a manager can create a TPS report to produce to higher-highers that says everyone was dutifully running around.

I now get to meet with my manager tomorrow to talk about why I didn’t update the tool properly. I’m off the clock and yet it is irritating me that this is looming.

It’s the most Office Space new-cover-letter bullshit non-issue I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait to get my talking-to about a process that adds zero value to anything anywhere.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Maneki Neko posted:

Why are you not installing your own image?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

It's 2021 and a DST change still breaks certain types of scheduled tasks in Windows Server 2016 (and 2019 according to forum posts I found)

Fix is to delete and recreate (I have hundreds) or they might start working then.

Anyone know a better way? I can't set them to sync across timezones as they need to run at the start of a maintenance window

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Everywhere I've worked, power strips have been drama for IT.

In one place, they just would never approve the cost of ordering them. Bosses would talk to bosses and we would get like 10 or 20 in a year.

In another, they were on back order for more than a year. Sorry your computer has to be right at this wall and we can't connect your second monitor until TBD.

Currently, it is not clear who is supposed to order and supply them. Bosses say the user's department has to order or supply them. Their department says no, IT orders and supplies them. IT ordering says it's not a data cable or hardware, but we do have to provide them and we should order them like toner or pens. Office materials says no, building management orders and supplies them. Building management says no, the electricians order and supply it. The electricians do not have email and are always out doing repairs, never calling back. Bosses all get together and identify that it's probably building management. Building management sends an email saying to call them. For the next weeks building management does not answer our calls or return calls/email.

It's like the cheapest simplest part of every new workstation. Why is this so hard?

Sheep posted:

Behold the load bearing Cat6:

network balancing

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 12, 2021

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
There was one particularly difficult building manager who decided to ban them in one of my old places of work. That was a fun time.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Heran Bago posted:

Everywhere I've worked, power strips have been drama for IT.

In one place, they just would never approve the cost of ordering them. Bosses would talk to bosses and we would get like 10 or 20 in a year.

In another, they were on back order for more than a year. Sorry your computer has to be right at this wall and we can't connect your second monitor until TBD.

Currently, it is not clear who is supposed to order and supply them. Bosses say the user's department has to order or supply them. Their department says no, IT orders and supplies them. IT ordering says it's not a data cable or hardware, but we do have to provide them and we should order them like toner or pens. Office materials says no, building management orders and supplies them. Building management says no, the electricians order and supply it. The electricians do not have email and are always out doing repairs, never calling back. Bosses all get together and identify that it's probably building management. Building management sends an email saying to call them. For the next weeks building management does not answer our calls or return calls/email.

It's like the cheapest simplest part of every new workstation. Why is this so hard?

network balancing

This is going to sound super dumb, but this is an opportunity for IT to win friends and influence people. Just buy a ton of them and save the day whenever necessary. When else are you going to have such an inexpensive way to build goodwill?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Agrikk posted:

During a service event yesterday I got paged, took a look at the issue and evaluated it as not impacting my customer, then went back to what I was doing. I neglected to check a box on a tool that reports us as having checked in with the customer so that a manager can create a TPS report to produce to higher-highers that says everyone was dutifully running around.

I now get to meet with my manager tomorrow to talk about why I didn’t update the tool properly. I’m off the clock and yet it is irritating me that this is looming.

It’s the most Office Space new-cover-letter bullshit non-issue I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait to get my talking-to about a process that adds zero value to anything anywhere.

We just got a new ticketing system that goes even further than our last with respect to creating new processes based on check boxes or drop down menus. At this point my job is ticketing system engineer. Having the ticket options filled out correctly is more important than doing actual work. I have tested this, in part because the cut over from the old deluged me with tickets, and it is possible for me to spend my whole day updating tickets and not doing any real work. It is depressing but kind of liberating in a way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The gently caress schedules an 11-1 meeting?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Bob Morales posted:

The gently caress schedules an 11-1 meeting?

Just reply that you are very excited to see what they are catering for lunch.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

People joining conference calls on the road, in their cars. Can't hear poo poo. Please pay attention to your driving and get off the loving call.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I implement some routing on Monday, check that it works and tell them to check on their side as well. 10 minutes ago I get an email that it's not working and that it's urgent. My man, you had a whole week to test this, my weekend started so you're SOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"We are going to start doing stuff with AR..and AI. And probably IoT"

OH REALLY