Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's a bad response where he dodged the question and got defensive about a fairly unrelated thing for no reason. Bad job, Tony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I didn't know anything about Tony's involvement in that show, but I'm not super into the business side of stuff so me not knowing isn't really indicative of anything.

As for the article itself, it feels like Tony took out his frustration about a lot of the bad faith criticism of AEW on someone that was trying to ask an honest question.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

it was like three lines of a long press call and he's just pissed that he paid for his own talent to promote billy corgan's lovely show and company with what sounds like no thanks from billy. i'm not gonna try and dive in to what makes Tony Khan Tick lol but the only times he gets publicly bitchy are when wwe attacks unprovoked so i assume there's more to it than not getting sucked off in the press by the NWA

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Did anyone else let it sink in. Just wondering.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i unfortunately clicked after i posted in case anything i said was wrong. as usual, 100% correct in every way. lmao @ the article though

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Seams posted:

Did anyone else let it sink in. Just wondering.

I refuse

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Pylons posted:

I think he was unnecessarily rude to the reporter but not wrong at all.

Yeah, in context - which is important - that smacks of a response from someone who gets asked the same questions about it constantly. We know he's extremely online and engages with people on Twitter, so to me it came across as "ugh, another person saying I do nothing for women".

Not to say he responded the right way or that he has a non-douchey approach about it, but I get it. The article basically being a hit piece doesn't help their case either.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Yeah, the article reads like a reddit post made by an angry teenager. Even calling it an article is a little generous.

Tony comes off as needlessly hostile in the exchange although it's hard to judge without hearing the rest of the presser or at least a little more of it.

He's weirdly excitable and very protective of the company but I don't remember him being outwardly antagonistic like that in defense of himself before.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'd love to see PnP get the tag titles (and I do think it's going to come at some point) but imagine comparing them to Brian Cage and acting like they haven't done anything of note in AEW.

https://twitter.com/RulesImpact/status/1458889881636286470

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
the prestigious impact tag team titles?!?!?

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
lol at posting that 2 days before they wrestle a marquee match at PPV

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Zombie Lemur posted:

Yeah, the article reads like a reddit post made by an angry teenager. Even calling it an article is a little generous.

Tony comes off as needlessly hostile in the exchange although it's hard to judge without hearing the rest of the presser or at least a little more of it.

He's weirdly excitable and very protective of the company but I don't remember him being outwardly antagonistic like that in defense of himself before.

It wasn't the best answer and kind of went off the rails but on the other hand the person who wrote this article literally sounds like someone who was loving waiting for this opportunity to complain and then went batshit

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Tony's answer wasn't good, even if the shade thrown at Bill Pumpkins was amusing. That said, I'm increasingly sick of everyone pretending to forget that is very obviously not the women's division as he planned it. COVID decimated the plans for it to have a heavy international flavor (lots more women from Japan, Bea Priestly was on her way to a title shot when the pandemic hit, Sadie Gibbs was going to be in the mix more, etc.), Kylie Rae as one of the anchors, Awesome Kong as a veteran presence and producer, etc. There are legitimate issues with how the division has been handled, including the seeming lack of effort put into signing no-brainers like the Sea Stars and Trish Adora as well as the rotation style of booking hitting the women's division much harder due to sheer numbers. But I feel like the people who complain the loudest are the same ones who post about stuff like how they think Swole not getting a bigger push is egregious...even though she's clearly still much greener than the pushed women in terms of her in-ring development curve.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh it definitely feels like tony got rubbed the wrong way by people continually pointing to powerr as doing right by women's wrestling when they apparently didn't bother paying the aew wrestlers (and who knows if they paid the other non-NWA wrestlers on the show)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Cageside Seats is garbage hth

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Currently there is a twitter space talking about #womenswrestlingmatters

Check it out. I'm not saying that it belongs in this thread in regards to bad opinions but it fits the discussion of womens wrestling being brought up at the moment.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
counterpoint, do not read twitter.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I wonder how many of the people bringing up Empowerr as a gotcha against AEW actually paid for it. Because it feels like a lot of the discourse around the women's division is bad faith arguing by people looking for a reason to complain.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Tony Khan is a manchild and thus is great at booking men’s wrestling because that’s all he really cares about deep down but I do think he’s being convinced women’s wrestling is good and cool and he’s improving. He will get there, and he’s willing to book women’s events as long as it’s not taking up too much time with his action figures. It’s getting a lot better but it was complete garbage until Shida became a workhorse champion and also she should be winning that TBS title wtf she’s the best women’s wrestler on the roster and few come close.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If you wanna see a promotion not give a poo poo about the womens division like people accuse AEW of doing, watch Attitude Era WWE. AEW’s womens division is nothing like that.

AEW suffered from not having enough experienced women during the pandemic. Swole and others have potential but if you put them in long matches on live tv they’ll drown. It’s not fair to them either.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Tony Khan is a manchild and thus is great at booking men’s wrestling because that’s all he really cares about deep down but I do think he’s being convinced women’s wrestling is good and cool and he’s improving. He will get there, and he’s willing to book women’s events as long as it’s not taking up too much time with his action figures. It’s getting a lot better but it was complete garbage until Shida became a workhorse champion and also she should be winning that TBS title wtf she’s the best women’s wrestler on the roster and few come close.

how dare you besmirch Riho's reign

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I went into the Spaces right as the reporter Tony was rude to announced that he had reached out to apologize and then someone else started going on about how Impact is the shining beacon on the hill for women’s wrestling and that was enough of that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

I went into the Spaces right as the reporter Tony was rude to announced that he had reached out to apologize and then someone else started going on about how Impact is the shining beacon on the hill for women’s wrestling and that was enough of that.

Yeah the Impact women's division is good but its defenders act like it's 90's AJW.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Testekill posted:

Yeah the Impact women's division is good but its defenders act like it's 90's AJW.

Yeah, the fact that it's the best US women's division is a condemnation, not a celebration.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/itsellajay/status/1459015677231181831?s=20

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Senerio posted:

Yeah, the fact that it's the best US women's division is a condemnation, not a celebration.

The AEW division is better. It's booked by a company that isn't as scattershot and incompetent as TNA. They have good talent they rarely utilize well. AEW might underutilize the division but the women in TNA just get sent out there to fail sometimes with bad ideas.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MassRafTer posted:

The AEW division is better.

Sure, Jan.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
People talk about how good the Impact womens division is but only when talking about the AEW women. I never see people talking about the matches or sharing gifs or whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Seams posted:

People talk about how good the Impact womens division is but only when talking about the AEW women. I never see people talking about the matches or sharing gifs or whatever.

It's kind of stunning how this will happen on twitter, people will ask them to name some recent really good women's matches on Impact and they just can't. The division gets more talk from bad angles or just weird matches like that battle royal that went so poorly.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are some genuinely good wrestlers in impact's women's division but people would have to actually watch the show regularly to recommend matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/KevZCastle/status/1458944629043343367

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Nobody botched a bigger lay up than Brian Cage, AEW gave him everything you need to succeed in the promotion and he failed to convert.

Joey Janela is the only person on the male roster who I think AEW should be doing more with what he's giving them.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There’s enough women workers of a wide enough gulf of talent that you absolutely could put on live(or live to tape) weekly women’s wrestling and it’d eventually catch on. Which is why the all the WOW bullshit is so appalling since this should be a slam dunk.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

fez_machine posted:

Nobody botched a bigger lay up than Brian Cage, AEW gave him everything you need to succeed in the promotion and he failed to convert.

Joey Janela is the only person on the male roster who I think AEW should be doing more with what he's giving them.

The fact that nobody remembers that Brian Cage has been in the main event scene already speaks volumes for how big an impression he leaves with audiences.

poo poo, I don't even think he cracks my Top 10 favorite guys from Lucha Underground.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hey, it's That Guy !

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

graph posted:

hey, it's That Guy !

That Guy!?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Yeah That Guy !!

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021
Is Impact's women's division even close to AEW's now or did a bunch of people just sleep through covid?

Not that AEW's is great but they have a pretty solid top 12 or so, after Impact's top 4 or 5 there's a significant drop off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Seams posted:

AEW suffered from not having enough experienced women during the pandemic. Swole and others have potential but if you put them in long matches on live tv they’ll drown. It’s not fair to them either.
Jade is practically a case study for this. They signed her and they knew she had a great look, but she was far too green for regular TV matches. But since they had so few women who could regularly show up on Dynamite during their Daily's Place run, they had to push her with clever editing and <1 minute matches for months. She still hasn't quite gotten the hang of selling.

Seams posted:

Deonna Purazzo has been held in very high esteem pretty much all year and her last couple PPV matches have been highly rated, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/KevZCastle/status/1459041846760464393
You heard it here: AEW fans hate Wardlow, Lance Archer, Miro, Dustin Rhodes, Luchasaurus, Brodie Lee, Will Hobbs, The Butcher...

also Brian Cage is almost as far from the "alpha male badass" stereotype you can get other than "is insanely jacked". he's not even tall!

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 12, 2021