Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

marshmallow creep posted:

Intelligence being the Dexterity to Faith's Strength is definitely a way to do magic.

Isn't that how it was in DS3? And pyromancer was the magical version of a quality build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

If one thing is crazy clear, From Soft has silenced the critics saying their game needs an “easy difficulty” mode. The game can be made easier (go full ranged magic, use summons and +/- coop) or harder (commit to full melee build) as the player sees fit. Be who you want to be. All ways of being are playing the game the right way. That’s significantly more nuanced and intelligent than an easy difficulty button in a settings menu.

Just saw a video where someone straight up clowned on Margit the Fell in about two minutes using the spirit wolves so you're definitely onto something here.

Provided they don't nerf magic before release.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
https://youtu.be/vJpqBpZACkg

Peeve posted this vid that goes over a lot of the finer details of them game. Things like stat scaling, co-op and invasion mechanics, weapon movesets, etc. If you wanted non-spoiler details (just dont watch the gameplay footage later in the video)

He says the blue sentinel mechanic is toggled on and off in the menu. So not a ring it seems. Which is good news.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

How much are people gaining in their play throughs of the stress test in terms of spells and equipment? Is the content seemingly easy because you start with a pre-gen character that's over equipped for the area?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lexorin posted:

How much are people gaining in their play throughs of the stress test in terms of spells and equipment? Is the content seemingly easy because you start with a pre-gen character that's over equipped for the area?

Vaati fights a boss (the one used as a summon against Godrick in the gameplay preview) and behind the boss a room is unlocked with a sorceress who acts as a vendor but he says she likely wouldn't be there in the actual game so from that I'm guessing they're giving people a lot more than you'd have that early on release. One class starts with that giant dragon arm which seems totally busted to start with.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 11, 2021

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

are the npc/creature summons a one-use item or something you collect and have?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I am excited to start playing as whatever class they have that starts basically naked.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Item Getter posted:

They went back to rings instead of a dedicated covenant item slot like it was in DS3 and BB?

What I saw it is a ring graphically that is activated in the multiplayer menu, so it doesn't seem like you need to equip it: it is either on or off and you do that separate from gear.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cavauro posted:

are the npc/creature summons a one-use item or something you collect and have?

It's pretty much like a spell, you get a permanent item that lets you summon a specific enemy and using it costs FP. But they're only allowed in certain areas, there will be encounters and bosses where you can't summon spirits.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is there a PC special edition? I want physical stuff and be a PC boy

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

After playing through ds3 last year with a friend I didn’t really have an interest in Elden ring, thought I was all souls’d out. I’m definitely getting this day 1 after watching some of these videos.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
There are plenty of videos out there now but this one has a nice succinct section on horseback fighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzFR5HsPcng&t=533s

Also a cool miracle:

And it's a pity we'll never be able to do this to each other:

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

acksplode posted:

It's pretty much like a spell, you get a permanent item that lets you summon a specific enemy and using it costs FP. But they're only allowed in certain areas, there will be encounters and bosses where you can't summon spirits.

You also only get one use of a summon until you reload at a bonfire, at least in the network test. Maybe you'll be able to increase summon ammo in the full game.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
A point is made in that last video that spells and miracles can be charged by holding r1 or l1. There are 3 levels of power that are available - all for the same fp cost.

The trade-off seems to be only the wait while charging.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Baggot posted:

You also only get one use of a summon until you reload at a bonfire, at least in the network test. Maybe you'll be able to increase summon ammo in the full game.

That's interesting. Makes it much less busted.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

I think From has kinda changed the tone of Miracles in this game. They seem to be going for less of a "holy cleric" vibe with lots of golden light and more of a "animist shaman" vibe with a lot of channeling animal (and dragon) spirits.

There might be many different types of flavors. A lot of the spells we're seeing look far more like pyromancy than miracles, with fireballs and earth attacks, but there's also healing spells and golden light spells that look more holy.

However, the Prophet's armor is FAR less 'traveling cleric' and far more 'insane prophet,' so the whole flavor might be changing in total.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

The blue bro covenant seems to have returned. You can summon players that have a certain ring equipped when invaded.

Thankfully sounds like they fixed bluing coming from DS3 - host now actively selects to bring in blues instead of auto. With how invasions work for solo hosts now, will probably be the way impromptu fight clubs are set up, at least at first.

I am hoping still for some more diverse and intricate covenants that affect multi-player/PVP in Elden Ring. Kinda like Vilebloods & Executioners in BB maybe? DS3 felt a bit unfinished in that regard, considering how Mound Makers ends up just being a normal invader 99% of the time instead of a wild card, and how there were needlessly 2 blue covenants. Still a bit bummed about no natural solo Host invasions. Outside of the clear issue of uber twinking in the first parts of DS3, I thought it was mostly fixed with the invasion priority system almost always having you invade co-opers or ganks. Mind, I'm still going to invade co-opers regardless, I just like variety and feel like a little something is lost from potential experiences. I kinda get why they'd chose not to do it with the open world and steed travel though.

Thundercracker posted:

I want the Moonlight Greatsword to exist but be impossibly heavy because it's really meant for an Armored Core giant horse beast monster

Fixed this statement to my liking

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

AnEdgelord posted:

I think From has kinda changed the tone of Miracles in this game. They seem to be going for less of a "holy cleric" vibe with lots of golden light and more of a "animist shaman" vibe with a lot of channeling animal (and dragon) spirits.

well yes they're called incantantions now, not miracles, and there's a lot of different 'schools' of both sorceries and incantations, though there's more variety in incantations so far. each of the different schools have their own symbol which is seen when casting the spell, and on the spell's icon.

the incantation schools are based on who they're taught by according to the lore:
-Maidens of the Finger Reader - traditional DS miracles including healing etc.
-Fire Monks - traditional DS pyromancies
-Dragon Communion - spells manifesting dragon heads to attack
-Three Fingers - only one spell seen so far that uses the 'yellow flame of frenzy'
-Gurranq, the Beast Clergyman - only one spell seen so far (Beast Claw) which is an earth-based attack

sorceries so far are a little less direct & all based upon 'glintstone', with the different schools just mentioning who discovered or uses the spells, but there seems to be Raya Lucaria Academy which discovered and teaches traditional DS basic sorceries, and then four others from different schools:
-Carian Piercer (the magic sword attack) is 'used by enchanted knights who served the Carian royal family'
-Meteorite is 'used by a great white king with stone skin' and its description also mentions 'the Eternal City, now lost in ruin underground'
-Magic Bubble is 'used by wretches who dwell in underground ruins' and is described as 'ancient'
-Briars of Sin was 'discovered along with red glintstone by those exiled to the north for their crimes' and is described as 'aberrant' and 'reviled by the academy'

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

huh posted:

And it's a pity we'll never be able to do this to each other:

Ahhh imagine PVP mounted duels. With lances.

lih
May 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnr8GUofQE

you can see all the magic here. there are some weapon skills related to carian sorcery too.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Has this been posted yet? This boss looks absolutely bizarre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQ-tgbAHEs&t=2s

https://i.imgur.com/5PJGU3K.mp4

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

lih posted:

well yes they're called incantantions now, not miracles, and there's a lot of different 'schools' of both sorceries and incantations, though there's more variety in incantations so far. each of the different schools have their own symbol which is seen when casting the spell, and on the spell's icon.

the incantation schools are based on who they're taught by according to the lore:
-Maidens of the Finger Reader - traditional DS miracles including healing etc.
-Fire Monks - traditional DS pyromancies
-Dragon Communion - spells manifesting dragon heads to attack
-Three Fingers - only one spell seen so far that uses the 'yellow flame of frenzy'
-Gurranq, the Beast Clergyman - only one spell seen so far (Beast Claw) which is an earth-based attack

sorceries so far are a little less direct & all based upon 'glintstone', with the different schools just mentioning who discovered or uses the spells, but there seems to be Raya Lucaria Academy which discovered and teaches traditional DS basic sorceries, and then four others from different schools:
-Carian Piercer (the magic sword attack) is 'used by enchanted knights who served the Carian royal family'
-Meteorite is 'used by a great white king with stone skin' and its description also mentions 'the Eternal City, now lost in ruin underground'
-Magic Bubble is 'used by wretches who dwell in underground ruins' and is described as 'ancient'
-Briars of Sin was 'discovered along with red glintstone by those exiled to the north for their crimes' and is described as 'aberrant' and 'reviled by the academy'

lih posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBnr8GUofQE

you can see all the magic here. there are some weapon skills related to carian sorcery too.

Its interesting that the edgy magic in this is blood magic as opposed to the dark magic we saw in the Souls games. I'm very curious about the "schools" and wonder if that is just going to be a flavor thing to differentiate types of spells from each other within Sorceries and Incantations or if there will some sort of mechanical delineation. Perhaps different catalysts interact differently with different schools or something. Hard to tell at this point but still very interesting.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

lih posted:

lih
May 15, 2013

AnEdgelord posted:

Its interesting that the edgy magic in this is blood magic as opposed to the dark magic we saw in the Souls games. I'm very curious about the "schools" and wonder if that is just going to be a flavor thing to differentiate types of spells from each other within Sorceries and Incantations or if there will some sort of mechanical delineation. Perhaps different catalysts interact differently with different schools or something. Hard to tell at this point but still very interesting.

the briars of sin spell description says it relies on faith for its power (but from what i've seen it only has an int requirement? not 100% on this though so i'm going to check for myself during the network test) so that could be one possible mechanical difference.

we know there's also going to be some spells that rely on arcane (which is just the equivalent of luck from DS3) for scaling or equip requirements, but we haven't seen any yet. i expect we might see these having their own school of sorceries or incantations too.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

All the magic looks boring, who's got a video showcasing some sick archer builds?

e: as someone who always got the most playtime out of co-op in souls games, I just watched some videos and I'm happy to announce that this is the best souls game yet.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 12, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If the elden ring wiki is any indication, nobody's found any caestūs or equivalents yet

1/10 literally unplayable enjoy your garbage game for babies

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unless the caestus does a silly amount of poise damage and has an extended hitstun then it's not going to be worth squat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
maybe if you're a scrub

lih
May 15, 2013

i wouldn't expect the weapon classes found so far to be the definite list that's going to be in the final game, just a subset of it

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I'm really enjoying how weird From is going with the bosses, it's so good.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

my build is going to exclusively use the snake shield that can be uncoiled and used as a whip

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Well this is pretty much everything I wanted from a gameplay/design standpoint so far.

Wonder if we get a house/base to decorate or build up.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Well this is pretty much everything I wanted from a gameplay/design standpoint so far.

Wonder if we get a house/base to decorate or build up.

Still yet to discover what the ~walking bell tower~ is for.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the vibe I’m getting from enemy design and new spells and weapons is that there’s ‘no wrong answers’

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

AnEdgelord posted:

The miracle focused network test class is called Prophet and is literally rocking a penitent monk aesthetic.

Miracles are definitely broader but I’m not really seeing animism just yet.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

first test session in 20mins ?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Animist religions had prophets too, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. The ancient celtic religion had animist aspects to it, so it would be thematically appropriate for Elden Ring.

The miracles shown so far cover a few different schools. There's typical healing and support stuff, there's pyromancy (which seems to be rolled into miracles now?), and there's dragon and beast channeling-esque stuff too. One of the miracles is literally called "beast claw" where you manifest a giant beast claw to do a 5-way spread attack (it looks like a pretty sweet spell). I wouldn't be surprised to see more of that.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Seems they activated the servers slightly early, I got like three minutes of gameplay in before the clock struck the hour and the servers absolutely melted. Impossible to log in now. But that is what a network test is for, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

ymgve posted:

Seems they activated the servers slightly early, I got like three minutes of gameplay in before the clock struck the hour and the servers absolutely melted. Impossible to log in now. But that is what a network test is for, of course.
yeah exact same for me. got back in for 2mins and got DCd again - back to main menu.

playing on a ps4 pro - feels awful like bloodborne :D still hyped for this though