Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

They're really going to have to explain why Kara isn't helping Barry in Armageddon. Instead, they get Alex. That's...kind of a step down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I just finished and I feel..relief? The past couple years have been such a chore. Good to see cat grant back

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I knew the minute Kara quit her job that this season would end with her abandoning her secret identity. And much like Superman revealing his in the comics, I still think it's dumb.

I guess it was nice to see a bunch of guest stars one last time but ultimately the only thing I can think about this whole thing is good bye and good riddance.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol Eliza Danvers with a shotgun.

A little hosed up that Nxyly gets sent back to the phantom zone. I'm a little surprised they didn't try to redeem her with a fancy speech too.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay but Lena’s purple pants

Lena going full goth gives her +3 to witchcraft.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArtVandelay posted:

They're really going to have to explain why Kara isn't helping Barry in Armageddon. Instead, they get Alex. That's...kind of a step down.

The explanation is "Melissa Benoist just had a baby and there's a pandemic going on, let her raise her goddamn kid in peace." :v:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

quote:

"It will take the sun 6 months to regenerate."
What?

quote:

"Not to mention that the sun's orbit could be altered."
W-What??

quote:

"So I-I'll...put it back."
W-W-Whaaaat????

quote:

"You can release the solar flare blast in 6 seconds. 5...4..."
*20 second monologue about how they have to turn the satellite off sooner that 6 seconds*

Pillowpants posted:

I just finished and I feel..relief? The past couple years have been such a chore. Good to see cat grant back

I really love the cast and Kara and Wynn's song was great, but goddamn these last seasons were brutal.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This show could be a huge mess at times, with plot developments that seemed to happen off screen and leaps in logic that made no sense. But the cast was amazing and charming, it was fun to see characters like Brainiac 5 and Mon-El on TV, and when the show was good it was REALLY good.

I think this finale was good. Weird to kind of shunt off Nyxly and Lex, but presumably they want to keep them open to appear in future shows? Also weird that Mon-El was basically just "welp, i won't be seeing you again" and leaves.

Like, are we getting some kind of Legion of Superheroes show? Or a crossover dealing with them? It feels like that was heavily set up, between Mon-El's weirdness, Brainy and Dreamer, and even Lex talking about spending time in the 31st century and now getting shoved back into the Phantom Zone.

That said, I loved the wedding, it was great to see so many old characters pop up, and I really like Kara revealing her identity to the world. If you're gonna go out, go out with a big thing like that so if we ever revisit this world, it's fundamentally different and interesting again.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That finale was better than I hoped for. Glad they were able to get Cat back for the episode. Shocked they didn't bring in Clark, they brought back basically every other important character from the series. Even just a text from "her cousin" would have added some good symmetry with the start of the series. Glad they were mostly able to stick the landing.

Supergirl season power rankings:

The network switch was rough on the show but I'm glad they got to do the rest of the show on CW. Nice to see another Arrowverse show wrap up in its own terms.

I hope one day after Melissa Benoist has taken plenty of time off, she does a cameo as Kara/Supergirl in Superman & Lois.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 10, 2021

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really liked the scene with Kara, Winn and James reminiscing. I'm glad that Mehcad was able to come back because if he hadn't it would have been a super awkward omission.

I do agree that the Mon-El stuff came off as extremely bizarre, especially the "I'll never see you again" thing. Also the stuff about Brainy needing to go back right away was kind of weird seeing as they have a time machine.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

That was probably the best finale they could've done given how much of a muddled mess this final season has been. Cat Grant was definitely the MVP, it's been so long that I had forgotten how much Flockhart added to the show.

It kind of became moot once Kara revealed her identity to the whole world, but I was laughing when she gave her DEO speech at the funeral right in front of Andrea, who I believe at that point still didn't know.

In all I'm glad the show got to have a proper finale. It was a very uneven show throughout, to the point where I'm pretty sure I skipped multiple episodes of several of the middle seasons, but it was good to see the whole crew come back one last time.

Also RIP the Big Brain I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShakeZula posted:

It kind of became moot once Kara revealed her identity to the whole world, but I was laughing when she gave her DEO speech at the funeral right in front of Andrea, who I believe at that point still didn't know.

Yeah that was pretty funny. Also kind of surprised that they didn't find a way to walk that back and William is just dead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah that was pretty funny. Also kind of surprised that they didn't find a way to walk that back and William is just dead.

Should've had the wedding pan out to a giant face of ghost William in the sky, smiling down on everyone.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

jassa posted:

"I remember this. I didn't go because I was afraid I'd be seen."

I think she was on the right track there, but what she really needed to do was allow herself to be seen (properly) by the world after rescuing the plane, instead of flying off.

Called it, she was afraid of being seen by the world as herself. Kinda wish we could see the result of her living openly as Kara Danvers, super-powered reporter and EiC of CatCo but I guess we'll have to save that for comics and fanfic!

I'm so happy for Nia & Brainy, they're the best characters on this show and deserved a happy ending.

I don't really have anything positive to say about the Nyxly/Lex stuff, or how all that was resolved. Good riddance to them and that whole plotline.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I can understand why they felt like they had to, and Jon Cryer's performance was great as always, but I think it was probably a mistake to bring Lex back for the final stretch. The set-up was so clumsy ("I went to the future at some point offscreen, and while I was there I happened to meet you and fall madly in love, and then you died so I came back to save you 1000 years before your death"), and they changed so much about Lex's characterization by turning him into this lovesick acolyte. And the grand payoff was that despite every indication that his love was genuine and he was truly being selfless in his assistance of Nyxly, that ultimately it doesn't matter and it still ends with betrayal and a big laser fight.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

TwoPair posted:

And much like Superman revealing his in the comics, I still think it's dumb..

Superman doesn't have a secret identity anymore? When it comes to comics I only read them if Wonder Woman, Betsy Braddock or Kwannon is in them. I'm going miss Hellions since it is ending. Reminds me I didn't read yesterdays or Tuesdays comics.

Anyway on subject it was nice seeing Cat Grant, Monel and Winn again. Reminds of when the show was half decent.

Oh well I still have Legends which is amazing. And I probably watch Flash too at least the first 5 or so episodes.

I guess the last couple of episodes of Batwoman were okay too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Superman doesn't have a secret identity anymore? When it comes to comics I only read them if Wonder Woman, Betsy Braddock or Kwannon is in them. I'm going miss Hellions since it is ending. Reminds me I didn't read yesterdays or Tuesdays comics.

Anyway on subject it was nice seeing Cat Grant, Monel and Winn again. Reminds of when the show was half decent.

Oh well I still have Legends which is amazing. And I probably watch Flash too at least the first 5 or so episodes.

Season 3 is sort of the point of no return for the show's quality and it sucks that it basically lines up with Andrew Kreisberg getting ousted from the show for being a sexpest. It leaves a really gross feeling over the whole series where the matter can be summed up with "the guy who sexually harassed and molested everyone for three years seemed to be the only one who knew how to make the show not suck. gently caress."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Basically for me, the show was over the second Kara drove J'onn's hot red Chevy convertible through a cave on Mars blaring Britney Spears and acting like she'd taken the wrong turn off the 105.

I had witnessed perfection, and did not need to see another second of the show lest it ruin its apex for me with disappointment. And it appears that I was right.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I saw an ad for Batwoman being all "OMG Alice is back!" and my plan on watching this season when everything else was hiatus during the holidays was scrubbed. Yea, its been like 5 episodes, don't celebrate bringing back a character. It just reaffirmed someone on the writing staff is really attached to Alice and thinks they created a great all time villain. It felt like that with Nyxi too, she was fun in the Phantom Zone but outside of it she was just a frustrating villain because she didn't actually succeed due to being clever, but the writers just deciding she's going to win. Most of the way she got the totems was just popping up and taking it from whomever got it, or forcing them to give it up. Or just the heroes being dumb.

But even with all its dumbness the show still could give you positive feelings, it was uplifting and upbeat, something that honestly is really needed now because the world is poo poo and a lot of entertainment seems to still focus on people being miserable.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the show had its problems, but Kara Zor-El was always a nice ray of sunshine. Melissa Benoist really delivered a definitive performance as the character, a character who the comics have frequently struggled to get right (I remember the dark days of the aughts.) It was always nice to see her, and turns out they accumulated a really good supporting cast too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, the show had its problems, but Kara Zor-El was always a nice ray of sunshine. Melissa Benoist really delivered a definitive performance as the character, a character who the comics have frequently struggled to get right (I remember the dark days of the aughts.) It was always nice to see her, and turns out they accumulated a really good supporting cast too.

One thing I will always appreciate is just the raw chemistry she had with Chris Wood. Mon-El wasn't the best written character, and was ultimately toxic for Kara as anything more than a friend, but the show truly lit up whenever they were together on screen and it is absolutely no wonder that the two of them fell in love in real life and started a family together. I also appreciate that they didn't try to force Kara and Mon-El together because Benoist and Wood were married in real life. They planted that flag firmly in "Kara and Mon-El were terrible for each other, and he now has a wife who he loves and who loves him and he's completely over Kara, that door is slammed shut, thank you."

That's one of those small things I will respect the show for having the gumption to stick to.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess the answer to Kara's courage test was that she was suppose to stay and reveal herself to the world. Kind of odd that they didn't explicitly state this.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

So I guess the answer to Kara's courage test was that she was suppose to stay and reveal herself to the world. Kind of odd that they didn't explicitly state this.

Didn't they? I thought Kara laid it out pretty clearly in her conversation with Lena at the wedding.

Also lol the Kara/Lena shippers are FURIOUS on Twitter claiming there's a set leak showing them kissing at the end of that conversation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It is pretty impressive that they decided that Kara would end the series single.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

It is pretty impressive that they decided that Kara would end the series single.

:rip: William. You died as you lived: kinda useless but very handsome.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:rip: William. You died as you lived: kinda useless but very handsome.

With a great accent, but did they say he was from India before his last episode?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

My recollection is that William was talking about his grandmother, which fits, broadly, with Staz Nair's actual heritage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

With a great accent, but did they say he was from India before his last episode?

He mentioned he had Indian ancestry, then he died.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Welp, 2 out of the 4 DC CW series I watch are over. All that is left is Flash and Legends. I'm okay with that.

Edit: poo poo I forgot about Batwomen. This season has been decent so far.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 13, 2021

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreenNight posted:

Welp, 2 out of the 4 DC CW series I watch are over. All that is left is Flash and Legends. I'm okay with that.

I strongly recommend you start watching Stargirl.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

He mentioned he had Indian ancestry, then he died.

Yea I was wondering if he said anything about it before he got blasted by Lex.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

GreenNight posted:

you aren't watching superman and lois? because that is absolutely incredible.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I forgot about that one too drat. Yeah it’s good. I guess I’m watching way more DC shows than I realized.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I still have the last 5 episodes of Stargirl sitting on my DVR. I'll get to them at some point but for me this second season really started to drag in the middle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching the last two episodes and I'm really surprised at the reaction in this thread because, jesus christ, they were absolute dogshit. Kara's amazingly unimpressive speech somehow restoring hope to the world was a pretty big standout, but the real low point for me was the wedding, just because it felt like it lasted a good four hours. Combine that with all the time they had to allocate to cameos and the result was apparently cutting the ending to the season's major story down to "some phantoms come and grab the bad guys and then they leave earth for no raisin!" I wasn't expecting much after seeing how bad the rest of this season was, but it still managed to disappoint me.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I fully admit I give this show a lot of leeway, but it's never really been about the plot to me. There are so many weird dropped plots and abrupt changes in characterization from the beginning of the show, I never really expect satisfying conclusions in that regard. Just look at stuff like Reign, or Leviathan, or the Legion of Superheroes, or Morgan Edge.

But I do like all of the actors, I think the show nails small character interactions, and they know how to do heart-warming moments. That's what the wedding was to me, a perfect summation of the strengths of the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The dumbest part of the finale was definitely Kara saving the day by giving a big speech, which was exactly the same way last season ended.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The dumbest part of the finale was definitely Kara saving the day by giving a big speech, which was exactly the same way last season ended.

And season 1. This show sure loved it some big speeches.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching the last two episodes and I'm really surprised at the reaction in this thread because, jesus christ, they were absolute dogshit.

I think we're all just focusing on the positives because that's what we want to remember about the show. It had a lot of heart but not much of a brain.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching the last two episodes and I'm really surprised at the reaction in this thread because, jesus christ, they were absolute dogshit.

just look at the thread title. Anyone posting here has been in a toxic relationship with Supergirl for years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

jassa posted:

I think we're all just focusing on the positives because that's what we want to remember about the show. It had a lot of heart but not much of a brain.

Like a big old dumb dog that's just the biggest sweetheart even if it keeps walking into the sliding door to the backyard.