Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I want to see the nightmare vision that would be a 32c take on the Maelstrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want a legendary Negh'Var. The current model has the fancy new hull material from the Vor'cha but it has dogshit decade old windows, zero detail, and the actual stats on the ships that can use the skin/model are boring.

There's tons of Fed stuff that does the same thing so gently caress off Cryptic, give us a 5/3 MW ship.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
So thanks to the thread, because I didn't pay attention to the events, using Patrol's I went from 28 to 52 in 3 days. I did play the same three Patrol's over and over, I googled "quickest patrol's" and Wanted, Ninth Rule, and Sentinels were on the first list I found as the quickest and easiest to do. It worked well, but was mind numbing after the first day.

Now I'm 52. This is my second character that high, but I have no idea what that account is anymore, so I started fresh. Now I have Red Alerts open, so I'll go after the reward that is giving during this event. I have a T6 ship thanks to one of the giveaways. Been upgrading gear with what I get out of the Patrol's. Not tissue paper, but not strong, as I'll go after an easy/cheap build once I hit max.

My question is, do I keep just grinding Patrol's during the double XP, or mix it up with Red Alert's as well? And the Random Task Forces I think it is?

I started up Admirality and the reputation stuff. Now I was just playing through the stories cause some of them are kind of fun and neat. So if the answer to what to do now is not Patrol's and the rest, what should I be focusing on as far as Marks, go back to the story, any reputations I should focus on? It's a lot of layers in this game to try and absorb for something I generally fire up when I get the itch.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Since it is double XP week, sleepwalking through the episodes until you hit 52 to unlock admirality might not be the fastest, but at least less painful way to get to the T5/XII stuff and better. I am doing that for my Romulan alt.

Just switch to your T6 immediately out of tutorial and keep dropping whatever the episodes give you into the equipment slots. Or grab some green tact. consoles and guns from Exchange to boost damage output and make all episode stuff trivial.

...And skip through all small craft missions and the entire New Romulus arc.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Koskun posted:

So thanks to the thread, because I didn't pay attention to the events, using Patrol's I went from 28 to 52 in 3 days. I did play the same three Patrol's over and over, I googled "quickest patrol's" and Wanted, Ninth Rule, and Sentinels were on the first list I found as the quickest and easiest to do. It worked well, but was mind numbing after the first day.

Now I'm 52. This is my second character that high, but I have no idea what that account is anymore, so I started fresh. Now I have Red Alerts open, so I'll go after the reward that is giving during this event. I have a T6 ship thanks to one of the giveaways. Been upgrading gear with what I get out of the Patrol's. Not tissue paper, but not strong, as I'll go after an easy/cheap build once I hit max.

My question is, do I keep just grinding Patrol's during the double XP, or mix it up with Red Alert's as well? And the Random Task Forces I think it is?

I started up Admirality and the reputation stuff. Now I was just playing through the stories cause some of them are kind of fun and neat. So if the answer to what to do now is not Patrol's and the rest, what should I be focusing on as far as Marks, go back to the story, any reputations I should focus on? It's a lot of layers in this game to try and absorb for something I generally fire up when I get the itch.
Normally at 52 I start doing admiralty, during a double XP event you can get from 52 to 65 in just a handful of missions, but you might not have the ships for that. Admiralty is useful, but not required at your stage. It's not going to directly give you gear or abilities to make you stronger. You're probably going to start struggling soon, and definitely once you hit 65 and the enemies stop scaling down. You'll want to figure out a basic build and try to have it in place by then. If you ask in TNG chat, you can usually find someone willing to craft some basic mk xii stuff for you, which is good enough to handle normal difficulty.

For reputation, you'll eventually want to get all of them to tier 5 at least (for the large dil reward). But getting there is slow on your first char - 40 dailies to hit T5. That gets cut in half as soon as a single char on your account hits T5 in a rep (referred to as rep sponsorship), but that doesn't help your first char. One way to get around that is by creating a jem'hadar char. Normal JH chars start with two reps at T5. Which two reps are at T5 depends on your career (with some overlap), so if you create two JH of two different careers you'll end up with 3 reps sponsored for your whole account. Even better is creating one JH Vanguard char, since they get all the reps sponsored except for Gamma and Discovery. But the JH Vanguard race costs zen, so it's not always an option.

One thing to watch for when doing reps is expertise. Each daily costs 2000 expertise, and if you've powerleveled to endgame, it's entirely possible to run out of expertise if you run too many reps all at once. Just keep an eye on it, and run some new missions when it gets low.

As for which reps to focus on - Discovery has a lot of meta space and ground gear, it's always a good choice. If you're using phaser or disruptor weapons, Terran Task Force has a good set to use. The Competitive rep has really nice impulse engines, but getting enough marks can be annoying since no one queues for those TFOs. For anything else, I'd say do them as you're able to.

Random task forces are exactly what it sounds like - it drops you into a random TFO. It prioritizes putting you in with players that have queued up a specific TFO, so it's not entirely random. You'll see a lot of the fast borg ones, and not as many of the long annoying ones. At the end, you get the regular reward for finishing that TFO, and a choice marks box that will let you choose what kind of marks you want. You can also get those random mark boxes from doing endeavors, and they're useful for getting competitive marks and other ones that are annoying to earn. Just be careful - at 52 and new to the game you won't be able to carry the TFO if you get put in a bad group. Don't be afraid to eat the AFK penalty if it looks like you'll be stuck in the random TFO forever.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
for Competitive marks, just pick it as the daily bonus marks reward, trust me as someone who attempted to farm those specifically and gave up after less than one week, it is not at all worth it any other way.

just pick competitive marks whenever you get a choice of mark reward and you'll get plenty without any fuss.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Besides the Competitive rep I'd also point to Lukari, Delta, Iconian, and Nukara marks for bonus marks. With Romulan and Dyson reps there's always their respective zones, with Undine rep there's the Dyson space battlezone, Terran rep has the Badlands space battlezone... oh, and just a few SB1E afk runs over the course of a few hours or days will get you enough marks thereof to go straight from Tier 0 to Tier 5 and beyond in the Discovery reputation. (Lukari technically has the Gon'cra Nebula Tzenkethi battlezone, but heck if I know how well any given instance's players will 'push the objectives'.)

Note that none of the above assumes that you have any of the Recruits, but if you do and complete their marks-rewarding tasks then I'll point to those first five reps I named.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

you can solo afk azure nebalua for rom marks, counterpoint for terran marks and sb1 and whatever else disco tfos for disco marks

one of the marks you should also def grab from boxes besides comp and lukari is temporal

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Also if you can stomach some episode grinding
-"Beyond the Nexus" gives you a rather nice omnibeam+console+torpedo set, especially if you are into phasers, and
-"Temporal Front" gives the best ground shield. Also get the set armor because it is better than what you probably at that point have, and also the gun so that you can keep the 2-item extra ability once you find a better armor, or buy the Burnham CQC armor from Disco reputation. The gun is a lovely shotgun, but if you slot it to 2nd weapon slot the absolutely fantastic +critical chance from the set still works.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Dental's hour has come with the flying tooth as the next infinity lockbox shitheap from Discovery.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Discovery really just does not give a poo poo.

At least we won't see those flying around cause there aren't many trolls left that'd waste the billion+ to pull that from an infinity box vs. literally anything else.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't mind the big tooth, it fits the future hyper-advanced disconnected parts ship aesthetic better than the starfleet ships.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I still kind of like most of the future fed ships honesty, but yeah it doesn't matter since promo packs are so goddamn rare nobody will ever get them. I think I've seen like two of the prior ones in the wild, total.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It does make me even sadder they changed it so you can't see the disco spore flip on non-crossfields, because that would've been great here.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Let me select my warp out and beam out animations drat it :argh: I love my Romulan but the newer ones are so much cooler drat it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It helps that the big tooth is also pretty drat bad.

Comm Tac/Com, LtCom Eng/Com, Lt Sci, Com Uni. 4/4 weapons, turn rate 8, inertia 75, can equip dual and heavy cannons. Console creates a pet aoe shield bubble that reduces the maneuverability of ships in the area. Trait makes shield restores also temporarily reduce the damage you tank and temporary immunity to shield drains.

The trait... might be applicable against the Borg, if anyone's still having trouble with them?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Comm Tac/Com, LtCom Eng/Com, Lt Sci, Com Uni. 4/4 weapons, turn rate 8, inertia 75, can equip dual and heavy cannons. Console creates a pet aoe shield bubble that reduces the maneuverability of ships in the area. Trait makes shield restores also temporarily reduce the damage you tank and temporary immunity to shield drains.

The trait... might be applicable against the Borg, if anyone's still having trouble with them?

I mean maybe if you're insane enough to still try and shield tank? Most builds are now just accepting that you will never have shields and just hull tanking.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cythereal posted:

So what you're saying is that not only is it basically dental-branded, not only is it an obnoxious vanity ship that no one will own because lockbox, but it's also lovely enough to troll people when you roll into a TFO with it?

Man, I actually kinda want it now. It's the perfect goon ship.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what you're saying is that not only is it basically dental-branded, not only is it an obnoxious vanity ship that no one will own because lockbox, but it's also lovely enough to troll people when you roll into a TFO with it?

It's got a cmdr command seat, so you could make a decent torp boat out of it. Though I think to do that you have to turn the cmdr universal seat into tac as well, and then it probably has slightly more tac seats than are desirable. But then, I'm not an expert on high-DPS torp boats. I suspect that it won't be setting any new DPS records, but will probably be fine as torp boat for solo and pug queues, when you have to bring your own buffs and weapon abilities.

That turn rate combined with the ability to mount cannons is hilarious, though.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

See you’re saying it might be good which is bad.

Give me a giant, tooth shaped boat that just blares obnoxious sounds while somehow applying DOT’s to my own team.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

There's nothing special about those 23c versions of boff abilities, right? It's just a way to waste fleet credits and dil I guess?

I feel like I've asked before, but didn't realize there was a whole store of them on k-13...

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

The 23rd century boff abilities from K-13 all have unique TOS-inspired art, animations, and sound effects, but mechanically and statistically they're all identical to the standard abilities. They're just a fun extra for people who want to fully cosplay as a TOS-era character. Nowadays they'd probably throw all that stuff in lockboxes.

The only exception to this are the kit modules, which have their own unique TOS-inspired powers.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Marshal Radisic posted:

The 23rd century boff abilities from K-13 all have unique TOS-inspired art, animations, and sound effects, but mechanically and statistically they're all identical to the standard abilities. They're just a fun extra for people who want to fully cosplay as a TOS-era character. Nowadays they'd probably throw all that stuff in lockboxes.

The only exception to this are the kit modules, which have their own unique TOS-inspired powers.

Ahh, just a few more kit modules… just a few more to sit in my bank…just what I need…

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The mortar is one of the best powers you can give an engi boff. Rank 1 of it is very strong because it's fast firing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

At least one of us has to be flying it as Dental's flagship.

USS Plaque Destroyer?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hmmm, a confuse power to combine with the Halloween fllee power.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Ability:_Landru%27s_Will

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Transmuter_Wand

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

At least one of us has to be flying it as Dental's flagship.

USS Plaque Destroyer?

USS Root Canal. Put some fear into people.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Best ground armor is the Disco armor right now, right? What's the best comparatively easy to acquire (not lobi) ground shield and gun?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Best shield's the Nak'hul operative from whatever mission that was, and while the gun in the set is kind of crap the 2-piece bonus is amazing so it's worth keeping as your second-slot weapon you never use. Primary weapon that isn't lobi though... honestly I'm not sure, I've just used lobi weapons for ages now. :downs: The plasma piercing beam rifle from new romulus/etc was pretty good but that was like five years ago, there's probably some cheap lockbox ground weapon you can pick off the exchange for pennies.

Also note the Disco environment suit is the best of those by a good margin too, so may as well grab both while you're at it.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Best ground armor is the Disco armor right now, right? What's the best comparatively easy to acquire (not lobi) ground shield and gun?
Both the shield and minigun that Asimo mentioned are separate mission rewards from "The Temporal Front", so you'll have to run that mission twice. (It's planetside talking, space combat, shipboard personal combat, then space combat again.) For non-Lobi weapons, the Plasma Wide Beam Rifle can be bought from two or four vendors (depending on whether your character is Romulan Republic or not) and then upgraded to Epic Mk XV; I don't know if this is the rifle that Asimo meant, but its wide-beam secondary is considered an Exploit attack rather than the Expose attack found on wide beam pistols.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

They're both pretty overtuned for vendor stuff, honestly. And now that re-engineering exists you don't have to buy and upgrade two dozen of the things to get decent modifiers, though you might want to try a few to see if you proc free quality upgrades from the early mark levels.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The plasma repeater pistol you can purchase from the vendors at Romulan locations does obscene single target damage. Aside from that I still like full auto rifles, they chop down chaff enemies fast enough and you don't have to aim.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Not exactly budget but I am a big fan of the Kelvin Timeline Pistol. No aoe, but it's great at ST with a powerful exploit instead of the usual no damage stun most pistols get.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

bij posted:

The plasma repeater pistol you can purchase from the vendors at Romulan locations does obscene single target damage. Aside from that I still like full auto rifles, they chop down chaff enemies fast enough and you don't have to aim.
In addition to said vendors (plus the Dyson and Delta command vendors) you can get a Very Rare one with random modifiers as a mission reward choice for Uneasy Allies, the first mission of the Iconian War arc. A different reward choice for that mission is the Romulan Imperial Navy Career-Specific Kit frame which boosts plasma damage, critical hit chance, and critical hit severity.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any non- fleet/rep based engine/deflector/shield sets worth getting from like quest rewards, either because they're considered best in slot, unique, or at least have a cool visual? Mostly thinking of a lot of quest reward sets from the Iconian War and Lukari seasons.

Things that seem like they might fit:

• Bajoran defense set
  • Breen set from old series
  • The recent mycelial set?

Not talking about munitions sets though, I get the sense that a lot of those tend to be good choices still for partial bonuses, etc.

asking because I went and collected a bunch of them, and now thinking I should maybe junk them for bank space...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The Bajoran deflector was (and maybe still is?) still the best option for scihole builds, and the whole set is generally a pretty decent stopgap until you can get rep gear. The Breen stuff is ancient and basically worthless (though you can still use the engine/shield for cosmetics), the mycellial set is... alright? Bajoran set is probably better if you want to gear up on the cheap though.

And no real reason to delete unique equipment unless you're desperately low on space. Don't forget that you can use your extra ships as free "inventory space" for weapons/sets/consoles too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The quantum phase set (Stormbound, in the temporal arc) is an excellent all-rounder set pre-rep.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I wish the Reclaim tab of the Dil store was more consistent. 3 out of my 8 or 9 experimental weapons are reclaimable there- most missing from Zen-store ships but even then 1 or 2 are lobi/lockbox. Lots of missing consoles. Almost nothing ground related.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I wish the Reclaim tab of the Dil store was more consistent. 3 out of my 8 or 9 experimental weapons are reclaimable there- most missing from Zen-store ships but even then 1 or 2 are lobi/lockbox. Lots of missing consoles. Almost nothing ground related.

A huuuuuuge number of things aren't in that tab, but are in the reclaim tab under reps, which itself is a huge pain in the dick to find.

edit: and a lot of consoles are basically on the ship, so to get it back you just open a new copy of that ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

A huuuuuuge number of things aren't in that tab, but are in the reclaim tab under reps, which itself is a huge pain in the dick to find.

edit: and a lot of consoles are basically on the ship, so to get it back you just open a new copy of that ship.

Right but AFAIK I can't get another copy of a lockbox or lobi ship for free, can I? Like the xindi reptile escort (for the proton experimental weapon) or the lukari scout ship (for looking cool)?