Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

He's awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Android Apocalypse posted:

Smokin' Aces is such an odd film. So many characters with goals that are at cross-purposes, with an attempt to feel like a Tarentino film but with lesser talent.

At least it has a nice Prodigy song in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNY9mTHgFA

Smokin Aces trailer sold it as a bunch of hitmen battling it out to get to a mark so it was kind of a disappointment when it wasn't. Same with SWAT's trailer.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Ryan Reynolds doesn't HAVE to be "Ryan Reynolds". See Buried, for example. I think he only became a Jeff Goldblum-style only-plays-an-exaggerated-version-of-himself actor after Deadpool.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Imagined posted:

Ryan Reynolds doesn't HAVE to be "Ryan Reynolds". See Buried, for example. I think he only became a Jeff Goldblum-style only-plays-an-exaggerated-version-of-himself actor after Deadpool.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I could say the same thing about Matt Berry except it would not be a complaint

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Didn't he have to do this shitfest in order to do the real Deadpool later? I mean, do we hate on Hugh Jackman for all the lovely Wolverine movies?

My friend loves Star Wars (well most of them) and he is loving stoked for the Boba series, but the Ashoka one, meh. Maybe it's me, but the Clone Wars show in general did gently caress all because I had watched the lovely prequels, and trying to retcon parts to make it better was just stupid.

Then again I always thought, pre prequels, that the clones would have been the bad guys. Like, some Sith or various evil dude clones the Jedi to make his own Sith army, so the Clone Wars literally would be Jedi fighting their dark versions. Instead of, you know, drones and a million Jangos that no one cares about.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

I could say the same thing about Matt Berry except it would not be a complaint

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't that the show where they couldn't finish filming the series finale because of lockdown so in the middle of the final episode it suddenly changes to janky low budget animation for the rest of the show?

I think that's Evangelion.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Cowslips Warren posted:

but the Ashoka one, meh. Maybe it's me, but the Clone Wars show in general did gently caress all because I had watched the lovely prequels, and trying to retcon parts to make it better was just stupid.

If you watch all the right episodes, Ashoka is good, but you probably have better things to do with your time.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cowslips Warren posted:

Didn't he have to do this shitfest in order to do the real Deadpool later? I mean, do we hate on Hugh Jackman for all the lovely Wolverine movies?

My friend loves Star Wars (well most of them) and he is loving stoked for the Boba series, but the Ashoka one, meh. Maybe it's me, but the Clone Wars show in general did gently caress all because I had watched the lovely prequels, and trying to retcon parts to make it better was just stupid.

Then again I always thought, pre prequels, that the clones would have been the bad guys. Like, some Sith or various evil dude clones the Jedi to make his own Sith army, so the Clone Wars literally would be Jedi fighting their dark versions. Instead of, you know, drones and a million Jangos that no one cares about.

I just think it's funny to remember that version of Deadpool whenever anyone mentions Deadpool. :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The merc without a mouth.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Imagined posted:

Blade Trinity might have been his first major film role. He played Ryan Reynolds.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ego-bot posted:

Blade Trinity might have been his first major film role. He played Ryan Reynolds.

He was playing Ryan Reynolds on Two Guys A Girl and a Pizza Place

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Reynolds was in a rom com with Rachel Weisz and it was pretty solid despite him inexplicably playing a political consultant.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm one of the few people that prefers Regulators over Desperation apparently.

Me too, bud

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Imagined posted:

See: The Voices

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Me, some years back: Oh boy oh boy I have a paralytic hangover and an afternoon off of work and it's horribly cold and windy outside I think I'm just going to order Mexican food and sit on the couch and watch this fun Ryan Reynolds movie on Netflix!! It's called "The Voices"

Me, two hours later: :kstare: :kstare: :kstare:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I just think it's funny to remember that version of Deadpool whenever anyone mentions Deadpool. :)

I really dislike Deadpool, so that's my favorite version.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Smokin' Aces is such an odd film. So many characters with goals that are at cross-purposes, with an attempt to feel like a Tarentino film but with lesser talent.

At least it has a nice Prodigy song in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhNY9mTHgFA

This movie tries so bad to be the US version of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels / The Snatch and falls so flat.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Smoking Aces is "flawed but interesting" like pretty much all of Joe Carnahan's films, apart from Stretch which is total piss.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I didn't realize who the director was but that certainly explains why I got Smokin Aces vibes from Cop Shop.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I didn't realize who the director was but that certainly explains why I got Smokin Aces vibes from Cop Shop.
I like Carnahan's films (despite his best efforts sometimes), love Frank Grillo and hate Gerard Butler with a passion so this looks like an interesting watch lol

Edit: maybe "like" is too strong a word, the man breaks about even I reckon :v:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I looked up Joe Carnahan's work and I think I like more of his stuff than not, but for sure some of his work I wouldn't consider good.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wait, isn't the Mandalorian about Boba Fett? Is this show about him realizing that every stormtrooper is his dad? Except for John Boyega in the new movies?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wait, isn't the Mandalorian about Boba Fett? Is this show about him realizing that every stormtrooper is his dad? Except for John Boyega in the new movies?

It's about Ming-Na Wen just being better than everyone else.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

That Italian Guy posted:

This movie tries so bad to be the US version of Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels / The Snatch and falls so flat.
I mean they all fuckin suck so sounds like they nailed it

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Mandalorian is about a totally unrelated guy named Din Djarin. Boba does show up in the second season having survived the sarlacc and is now getting a spinoff show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Temuera Morrison (who played Jango in the prequels) is now Boba Fett.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
So now Boba Fett, Jango Fett and all the stormtroopers look like Boba Fett's dad? Who I think is Jango?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If your dad was cloned all the clones wouldn't also be your dads. I think they'd be your uncles? They are basically your dad's identical twin brothers.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pilchenstein posted:

I like Carnahan's films (despite his best efforts sometimes), love Frank Grillo and hate Gerard Butler with a passion so this looks like an interesting watch lol

Edit: maybe "like" is too strong a word, the man breaks about even I reckon :v:

"Flawed but interesting" is definitely an apt description. There were some good ideas in Cop Shop but also the ending felt re-written to satisfy Butlers ego. I think its worth checking out but I'm not sure I'd call it a good movie.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So now Boba Fett, Jango Fett and all the stormtroopers look like Boba Fett's dad? Who I think is Jango?

Stormtroopers are modified clones of Jango, engineered for rapid growth and obedience and stuff. Boba is just a normal clone of Jango, raised as his son.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It would be weird if Jango doesn't look like Jango.

Anyway the stormtroopers aren't all clones and never were supposed to be. The idea in """official canon""" is that a whole bunch of leftover clones were stormtroopers, and then they started filling in the gap as the empire needed a larger army or clones died with recruits.

They make a thing of this in the mandolorian where the actual Boba Fett shows up and some hardass says something like "do you know how many people with your voice I've met before?" assuming he's another long-lived and now out of work clone trooper.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If original trilogy Stormtroopers were meant to be clones, they would have redubbed all their lines with Temura Morrison, and you would have seen people getting very mad online about it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I think I understand less now.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Clone Troopers are clones. Storm troopers are ex-clone troopers but also new recruits.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Morpheus posted:

Clone Troopers are clones. Storm troopers are ex-clone troopers but also new recruits.
Super Troupers are from Space Sweden

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The Rise of Skywalker made me realize that you can, in fact, make a movie that can blow your mind and simultaneously suck total rear end. Stars Wars, a land of contrasts

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Somehow, Boba Fett returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

So bad it's utterly baffling is how I would describe the Sequels, especially the latter two.