Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Good.

I will promote the site in a community-first sort of way, but I'm certainly not going to do so in service to my own ego or clout. I'd rather just quietly make the site good and try and make jokes now and then, I don't need to be an internet star. This is easily the best website on the whole stupid internet and I can only hope to share that with more people as time marches on.

stop making me want to post here again with your reasonable attitude i thought i was free forever but now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I'm glad that Lowtax never effectively monetized the site. The forums kept their integrity, even if it was through accident rather than choice.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

bird with big dick posted:

The Great Mouse Detective sucks poo poo

e: sorry wrong thread
where the gently caress is your complaint with Vincent Price as a debonair criminal mastermind sewer rat

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Hand Knit posted:

I'm glad that Lowtax never effectively monetized the site. The forums kept their integrity, even if it was through accident rather than choice.

what was the dumb button that he put on threads to allow you to upvote/share with some third party site?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

sure okay posted:

sure okay easily claims the weed sex number

:nice:

keep punching joe posted:

what was the dumb button that he put on threads to allow you to upvote/share with some third party site?

The Digg button, which I miss dearly.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

sure okay posted:

:nice:

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Hand Knit posted:

idk honestly he should have sold it in '08 at the latest.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Oh poo poo I vaguely remember that. Digg? Wasn't it like some sort of proto-Reddit only even more unwieldly?

Hell, isn't that just what Fark.com was/is?

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

Hodgepodge posted:

i mean it was still helping them expose terrible assholes (their own)

The same could be said for DPPH

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

sure okay posted:

It was all worth it

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

was it fark? please tell me it was fark. I vaaaaaguely remember something like that but it might be before my regdate

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Lock posted:

was it fark? please tell me it was fark. I vaaaaaguely remember something like that but it might be before my regdate

It was Digg

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fermented Tinal posted:

Maybe, but he stopped giving a poo poo in 2004 after he started closing all the piracy subs. They were big attractors to the site and I'm sure he lost a lot of income after closing them. Think about how things really went nowhere with the site for years after that.

I mean there was the period when Shine was more or less admin in charge and Lowtax's first reply to him (and first post in ages) in the modforum was "who are you?".

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I feel like it was Digg, but I dunno.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I believe at one point there were both Digg AND BoingBoing buttons

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mJ82x_l-E

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
There was another one added later that had links to a shitload of obscure sites. He added it through cloudflare. I removed it (and the commented out but still in the code digg button) as soon as I had access to do so.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Stabbing Spork posted:

The same could be said for DPPH

Yeah but to be fair in that case it was the stated purpose of the subforum.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMCD1aJ_5Yc

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

busalover posted:

idk honestly he should have sold it in '08 at the latest.

I mean he would've done well for that but I don't think SA would be better for having been under the direction of Cond Nast for the past 15 years.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I once sent Lowtax a PM when I was admin because I wanted the PSDs for the Forum Icons and wanted to clean up the reports forum by giving everything the same style.

He replied 9 months later with "Yeah I have them. I'll send them across."

He never pmed again.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Hand Knit posted:

I mean he would've done well for that but I don't think SA would be better for having been under the direction of Cond Nast for the past 15 years.

why dont you want to post on the bloated corpse of SomethingIsNoLongerAwful dot Com after Conde Nast sells it to Yahoo sells it to Softbank sells it to Tiktok who rebrands it Something Meta Dot Com

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There was another one added later that had links to a shitload of obscure sites. He added it through cloudflare. I removed it (and the commented out but still in the code digg button) as soon as I had access to do so.

Re add the digg button but disable the functionality.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Dexanth posted:

why dont you want to post on the bloated corpse of SomethingIsNoLongerAwful dot Com after Conde Nast sells it to Yahoo sells it to Softbank sells it to Tiktok who rebrands it Something Meta Dot Com

It would have been SomethingMarvel at some point for sure.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Lowtax's absolutely birdbrained schemes that would somehow help the forums in his mind were all delightfully poorly thought out. It sucked poo poo at the time but his incompetence at everything except being funny was probably the most endearing thing about him, looking back

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I once sent Lowtax a PM when I was admin because I wanted the PSDs for the Forum Icons and wanted to clean up the reports forum by giving everything the same style.

He replied 9 months later with "Yeah I have them. I'll send them across."

He never pmed again.

lmao

Is it true that all the mods/admins were walking on eggshells every time he came back, trying to avoid accidentally sending him into a tantrum? I remember something to the effect of Jeffrey found a button in the code that would permanently delete a forum and he silently disabled it not too long before the whole FYAD drama happened, and Lowtax got mad when he tried to press it and nothing happened.

Captain Blueballs
Aug 3, 2007
You magnificent bastard

Now that Lowtax has taken himself out, I think it's a prime moment to rebrand ourselves as Meta and see if we can make that gently caress Zuckerburg do the needful.

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

RIP.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Lowtax's absolutely birdbrained schemes that would somehow help the forums in his mind were all delightfully poorly thought out. It sucked poo poo at the time but his incompetence at everything except being funny was probably the most endearing thing about him, looking back

It's probably what allowed the forums to exist overtime as they are too. Anybody but the laziest person on the planet would have either monetized them or sold them 15 years ago. Ironically, his complete lack of ambition or drive is probably what allowed the forums to endure without being turned into IGN or something.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015
Just want to pop in here quickly. The escrow was not forged, so let's wipe that rumor off the table immediately.

In regards to anyone getting messages from Rich's family regarding the GFM, leaving them alone while they grieve is for the best, even if she does message first. She's a mother who has lost her child in a very traumatic way and she is understandably struggling.

But finally, and most importantly, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you've done with the GoFundMe for our kids. I'm still in shock and none of it really feels real yet. This is incredible. I wish there were more or better words to express our gratitude..

LadyAmbien fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 12, 2021

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Franais.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle

actionjackson posted:

thank you for the forums lowtax, it was where I was told to get a greyhound which completely changed my life :unsmith:

you bought a bus?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Hand Knit posted:

I mean he would've done well for that but I don't think SA would be better for having been under the direction of Condé Nast for the past 15 years.
This reminds me of something i can share now. Lowtax told me he got a buyout offer from a media company for $13 million in 2006. He was still having fun with the site and turned it down. He expressed lament at this to me during our own negotiations.

I did my own digging and this was the exact year that conde nast bought reddit and within the reported price range as well. I'm glad I don't live in that timeline.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

LadyAmbien posted:

Just want to pop in here quickly. The escrow was not forged, so let's wipe that rumor off the table immediately.

In regards to anyone getting messages from Rich's family regarding the GFM, leaving Rich's them alone while they grieve is for the best, even if she does message first. She's a mother who has lost her child in a very traumatic way and she is understandably struggling.

But finally, and most importantly, Thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you've done with the GoFundMe for our kids. I'm still in shock and none of it really feels real yet. This is incredible. I wish there were more or better words to express our gratitude..

I hope you're doing ok. All this must feel weird as hell, I can't even imagine.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ya bonzi buddy

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

i stubbed my toe getting out of the shower, and reflexively balled my fist up and screamed "loving lowtax!!!!!"

so yeah the fucker death-cursed the forum. be safe, goons

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spoggerific posted:

lmao

Is it true that all the mods/admins were walking on eggshells every time he came back, trying to avoid accidentally sending him into a tantrum? I remember something to the effect of Jeffrey found a button in the code that would permanently delete a forum and he silently disabled it not too long before the whole FYAD drama happened, and Lowtax got mad when he tried to press it and nothing happened.

I mean, plenty of people told him to gently caress off to his face (and were promptly demodded/banned). Myself, I remember making one post to him after he asked about bringing back LF. I don't remember being afraid or anything but the approach was definitely "I need to speak slowly as if to a child, but also not be obvious that this is what I'm doing."

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Jeff K would have died anyway in like 2014ish the latest. Gamergate ensured that the sort of character Jeff K is/is a parody of no longer exists, really. No longer a harmless edgelord idiot teen. A modern Jeff K would be a nazi.

This hadn't occurred to me until now and it's making me sad

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Blue Raider posted:

It's probably what allowed the forums to exist overtime as they are too. Anybody but the laziest person on the planet would have either monetized them or sold them 15 years ago. Ironically, his complete lack of ambition or drive is probably what allowed the forums to endure without being turned into IGN or something.

The goons are all transitioning to video, and gender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

This reminds me of something i can share now. Lowtax told me he got a buyout offer from a media company for $13 million in 2006. He was still having fun with the site and turned it down. He expressed lament at this to me during our own negotiations.

I did my own digging and this was the exact year that conde nast bought reddit and within the reported price range as well. I'm glad I don't live in that timeline.

LOL Lowtax would have burned through that $13 million in a couple of years anyways. He would just buy expensive cars instead of leasing them and find even pricier gourmet cookies and hot dogs.