Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

new single from Grayscale Season!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iJyM43UI2E

Also, SeeYouSpaceCowboy released an LP that's really good, if you're into them. First track even has a Keith Buckley feature!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

new single from Grayscale Season!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iJyM43UI2E

Also, SeeYouSpaceCowboy released an LP that's really good, if you're into them. First track even has a Keith Buckley feature!

The Greyscale Season song came on my Spotify release radar and it’s really good.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

im at the seeyouspacecowboy, wristmeetrazor, vatican show

vatican was sick but not a lot of crowd reaction. wmr slayed and had a lot of movement. two indie rock whatever bands in between and then sysc

shows are cool

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhmvE45gsUs

i still listen to this album like 3 times a week

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
new breakdown of sanity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDL_8T80_w
i like it, sounds more like classic BoS than their other recent singles

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
apparently they're only going to release singles now, no albums. which is kind of a bummer. No shows announced either.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Gone Fashing posted:

apparently they're only going to release singles now, no albums. which is kind of a bummer. No shows announced either.

I've been waiting for a band to try this out. Now that bands can largely record almost everything "on a computer" (not saying that in a bad way) I'm interested to see what the pace of release is.

I would imagine recording drums is still a challenge just because of the logistics. I guess they can just use programmed drums but...those always sound so bad.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
i think the last single was traces which was released in september last year, so hopefully they pick up the pace a little bit and do more than one song a year. i wouldn't really mind if more bands did it tbh, but hopefully if they do they make the releases more frequent

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When Protest The Hero did their "single a month for 6mo" thing, I definitely lost interest by about the third one, despite being a big time PTH fan

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

XIII posted:

When Protest The Hero did their "single a month for 6mo" thing, I definitely lost interest by about the third one, despite being a big time PTH fan

Even though it's on spotify as a whole album i never listen to it because of that.

They're ambitious as hell but nah.

Palimpsest was a 10/10 though god drat what an album.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BKyJrIZlOE

Brand of Sacrifice decided Lifeblood wasn't brvtal enough, so they dropped a version ft Will Ramos

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lmfao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toa2nKLgHz8

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

New Silent Planet is out

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What in the gently caress

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

This band sucks so loving much

They are the undisputed top of my “I just don’t understand” list of bands

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Code Orange want a Grammy so f'n badly.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this is not very good, but it's more interesting than code orange

https://point04.bandcamp.com/releases

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Slotducks posted:

New Silent Planet is out

Loving it so far. Favorite non-single track easily after 3-4 spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkyDdJM_7c

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Code Orange Kids > Code Orange

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Honestly the industrial/nu-metal worship in that video is so strong, if it wasn't for their last album I'd swear it was a one-off gimmick just for shits and giggles. Even considering their change in sound, it's hard to believe they made that video with the intention of people taking it seriously. I mean I'm pretty sure that's one of Jonathan Davis's old mic stands!

It reminds me of when Periphery did that 1 EP where everyone in the band wrote their own songs - there was a pretty generic track (Feed the Ground?) that gave me the same "ok obviously this usually-great band is just loving around and doing a tribute to the stuff they listened to in middle school" vibe.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

really digging this new PM5K track

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I’m pretty sure Feed the Ground is my favorite Periphery song.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

I’m pretty sure Feed the Ground is my favorite Periphery song.

I'm like 99% sure I posted here or in one of the other metal threads about how much I liked it when it came out and got laughed out of the thread lol

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if I could choose between Mile Zero and Reptile for a favorite Periphery track.

I don't remember any of the tracks off of Clear, I should listen to that again.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

in no particular order, top 3 for me are Reptile, Scarlet and Marigold

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Slotducks posted:

Even though it's on spotify as a whole album i never listen to it because of that.

They're ambitious as hell but nah.

Palimpsest was a 10/10 though god drat what an album.

Pacific Myth is one of my favorite PTH releases so you guys should definitely check it out as a whole.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i like how reba used to wear baggy XL band shirts with like a hoodie or whatever and now she's in a full leather outfit with more skin exposed than ever before

chick in band = milk it as much as possible so boys can develop their crush even further and remain loyal fans

also the fact that the bassist literally just never ever wears a shirt at all anymore. which he would usually go shirtless at shows anyway but now it's his Thing bc you need everyone to fulfill some persona lol

hard to imagine them getting worse but i'm sure it'll happen

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

i like how reba used to wear baggy XL band shirts with like a hoodie or whatever and now she's in a full leather outfit with more skin exposed than ever before
God drat she's not wearing sleeves how hot is that :pusheen:

Edit: There's no way the band didn't watch a poo poo ton of early 00's vampire movies before filming that video.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 13, 2021

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pacific Myth is one of my favorite PTH releases so you guys should definitely check it out as a whole.

Oh, I have, multiple times. It just doesn't seem to click for whatever reason. If those songs get shuffled into the rest of their catalog, I'm fine with 'em. But, as an EP, I just don't love it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
not having Arif was a huge negative for them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

muike posted:

not having Arif was a huge negative for them

:emptyquote:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not trying to be negative but I think the musical and lyrical maturity of PTH really suffered when Arif left. Obviously still monstrously skilled, but Kezia and Fortress show a huge difference from their later stuff

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009
I'm still a fan of the band but I've gotta agree. Kezia and Fortress (and even Scurrilous occasionally) just seemed to effortlessly throw out these huge, unforgettable moments and Arif's lyrics walked that tightrope of being mature and sincere while still being catchy and sounding good screamed over the tweedly deedlies. Keith Buckley's not a perfect comparison but I'd lump them both into a small group of genuinely non-embarassing -core lyricists. Not trying to dunk on Rody because I think his lyrics have come a long way, but Arif's writing was just super unique and hard to replace.

Their newer songwriting doesn't work for me quite as well either but I don't know how much of that is due to Arif's absence vs them just changing their approach. Everything from Volition on is generally more cohesive, they still have those big memorable PtH moments but they're fewer and further between and they spend more time 'earning' them. Which is fine and arguably more mature, but I still have a soft spot for the earlier approach of blasting through a dozen barely-related ideas per song.

e: lol that Code Orange song/video sure is a thing. Remember when that band was talking poo poo about being too good to tour with deathcore bands because they make rEaL aRt :smuggo: or whatever?

SchwarzeKrieg fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 14, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It’s funny to talk about them having more “mature” lyrics and songwriting on albums they wrote when they were like 19, even if true.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

SchwarzeKrieg posted:

I'm still a fan of the band but I've gotta agree. Kezia and Fortress (and even Scurrilous occasionally) just seemed to effortlessly throw out these huge, unforgettable moments and Arif's lyrics walked that tightrope of being mature and sincere while still being catchy and sounding good screamed over the tweedly deedlies. Keith Buckley's not a perfect comparison but I'd lump them both into a small group of genuinely non-embarassing -core lyricists. Not trying to dunk on Rody because I think his lyrics have come a long way, but Arif's writing was just super unique and hard to replace.

Their newer songwriting doesn't work for me quite as well either but I don't know how much of that is due to Arif's absence vs them just changing their approach. Everything from Volition on is generally more cohesive, they still have those big memorable PtH moments but they're fewer and further between and they spend more time 'earning' them. Which is fine and arguably more mature, but I still have a soft spot for the earlier approach of blasting through a dozen barely-related ideas per song.

e: lol that Code Orange song/video sure is a thing. Remember when that band was talking poo poo about being too good to tour with deathcore bands because they make rEaL aRt :smuggo: or whatever?

Yeah, I'm the opposite. I like most of Kezia and Fortress, disliked Scurrilous, and love everything from Volition and on.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Fortress, Scurrilous, and Volition are my top PTH albums. I didn't really get into them til Volition though, so I'm not a longtime diehard. Like, I can't for the life of me get into Kezia. If they re-recorded it, maybe, but the production (even on the remaster) just doesn't click for me

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

XIII posted:

Fortress, Scurrilous, and Volition are my top PTH albums. I didn't really get into them til Volition though, so I'm not a longtime diehard. Like, I can't for the life of me get into Kezia. If they re-recorded it, maybe, but the production (even on the remaster) just doesn't click for me

Production is definitely a little rough on Kezia, I remember thinking this even in 2007 when I first heard it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
About to see Brand of Sacrifice for my first concert since the pandemic hit.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Speaking of Protest the Hero, I caught Saytr playing tonight. I totally forgot they had pretty much sampled a PTH riff until I heard them play this song. I've enjoyed everything they've done, but this song bugs me.

https://youtu.be/sX-ZmnD9JdY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Dango Bango posted:

Loving it so far. Favorite non-single track easily after 3-4 spins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hkyDdJM_7c

If I still drank I'd constantly be up at 2 am drunk as gently caress absolutely sulking with Terminal on repeat for hours on end. Gimme that minor key sad boi poo poo.