Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Being put on hold and having to listen to the most annoying hold music ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

MightyJoe36 posted:

Being put on hold and having to listen to the most annoying hold music ever.

Even worse is when the annoying hold music (played from a cassette player in a wind tunnel) is interrupted every two minutes with an ad, and the noise when it switches to the ad is almost identical to the noise when an actual person picks up.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Nov 12, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

beats for junkies posted:

Even worse is when the annoying hold music (played from a cassette player in a wind tunnel) is interrupted every two minutes with an ad, and the noise when it switches to the ad is almost identical to the noise when an actual person picks up.

YOUR CALL IS IMPORTANT TO US

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

beats for junkies posted:

I'm sure I complained about it here forever ago, but the local (Catholic-owned) medical center's hold music is a 30-second clip of an instrumental of Ave Maria. And it starts right at the beginning, so first you have 25 seconds of repetitive instrumental opening. Then, the actual tune starts as the strings come in! "Aaaave Mari--"

That's when it cuts off. About three seconds of silence. Then it repeats. Every 30 seconds.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Catholic edging

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

sometimes i sing along with the hold music

just trying to enjoy life :smith:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

You'd love this one pizza place near me, they have a mix of "That's What You Get" by Paramore that's nearly a third blasts of static by runtime

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

hm. not a fan of paramore but I do love static....

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

when the cisco hold music comes through crisp and clear... :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfm17fWSqY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Killingyouguy! posted:

when the cisco hold music comes through crisp and clear... :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDfm17fWSqY

This has some real "sim game terrain editor" energy

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This bullshit (read from the bottom up):

It's going to Japan. Eventually.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
FedEx has been sending a package back and forth between different towns in Indiana and Kentucky since July. Its origin and destination are both in Iowa. It's so low value that it's not worth trying to get it straightened out, but HOW??

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Dip Viscous posted:

FedEx has been sending a package back and forth between different towns in Indiana and Kentucky since July. Its origin and destination are both in Iowa. It's so low value that it's not worth trying to get it straightened out, but HOW??
Living in Hawaii, once had a package miss and end up in Guam. That was pretty entertaining tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm switching fields (veterinary to aviation) come monday and it feels kinda gross how everyone is congratulating me on "moving up."

It's the same me, same lack of a college degree, same pay, similarly bad hours, but one is "girly" but planes are "manly" so I'm better now. New job has health insurance, so congratulate me on that maybe.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I hate when people, but particularly goons, use ellipses in written language, as per the below quote from an old thread I'm catching up on:

My college experience was...nontraditional and I wasn't part of the normal college society for...well...a variety of reasons. 

I think in natural language this doesn't grate so much because someone can clearly almost refer to a taboo or sensitive topic almost by accident and want to gloss over it, but when written something about it just comes across as smug and faux enigmatic. You're posting, so writing like this... well, let's just say... makes you look kinda like a dick.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Nowadays it's olds who have figured out texting that commit the most ellipses crimes.

Everything must sound ominous.

Hey... Call me...

U dindt call...

eDgarr plz call when u see this... it's important...

"Oh hi darlin, just wantin to know if you wanted to come to lunch with me and aunt Jenny this weekend! :)"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

hey do u know anyone who sells carts...

No

mmk...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm switching fields (veterinary to aviation) come monday and it feels kinda gross how everyone is congratulating me on "moving up."

It's the same me, same lack of a college degree, same pay, similarly bad hours, but one is "girly" but planes are "manly" so I'm better now. New job has health insurance, so congratulate me on that maybe.

Maybe they're making a joke about you literally moving up? Into planes. Because planes fly?

Or you can act like they are to feel less gross.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Movin' on up
To the blue sky
To that deluxe jet cruiser
again, in the sky
Oh movin' on up (movin' on up)
To the big sky
I'm flying not helping pets to die

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate when people, but particularly goons, use ellipses in written language, as per the below quote from an old thread I'm catching up on:

My college experience was...nontraditional and I wasn't part of the normal college society for...well...a variety of reasons. 

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nowadays it's olds who have figured out texting that commit the most ellipses crimes.

Everything must sound ominous.

Hey... Call me...

U dindt call...

eDgarr plz call when u see this... it's important...

There's a clear difference between these two styles: the former uses ellipses in the middle of a sentence as a pause for effect. The latter uses them at the end of the sentence, which the writer believes is just how you end a sentence for god-knows-what reason, but the reader interprets as transitioning into an ominous silence.

The former is, imo, a perfectly valid way to convey the impression the writer wants to convey (although not the only way; for example, they could use italics and commas to achieve a similar result). The latter is a frequent cause of miscommunication and probably goes beyond being a pet peeve.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Olds use a lot of elippses because they haven't actually written anything since they finished school decades ago so they don't know how

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If you can't take well meaning congratulations from friends without "feeling gross" you need to get your own neuroses in order.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also you’re literally moving up

Cuz aviation

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

When someone has a username of the form Adjective Noun, like CelticPredator or FreudianSlippers and people shorten it by just saying the adjective instead of the noun, eg. Celtic rather than Predator; Freudian rather than Slippers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Celtics Predator

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If anyone's a predator it's not the Celtics, it's the GLOBALIST ROMAN EMPIRE that's RESTRICTING THEIR FREE SPEECH

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh also a real peeve: no matter how interested my 1yo is in what he's doing, he'll stop and come try to gently caress with my mug of coffee until I set it up high. Just stop, dude! I know it's the last thing you haven't been allowed to touch, but believe me you don't wanna

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I use the USPS Informed Delivery service to see what's coming to my mailbox today/soon. I can also opt in to receive texts about my packages: delivery updates, ready for pickup notices, and when they're delivered. I checked the "Package Delivered" alert, provided my number, and promptly began getting every alert there is, from LABEL CREATED to PROCESSED THROUGH X/Y/Z FACILITY to DELIVERED.

I contacted support to tell them their coding is fucky, that all I want is DELIVERED (you know, the status I checked) and not every drat change along the way. A few useless troubleshooting back-and-forths and now they want my phone number, home address--and the answers to my two security questions. To fix your code? No. "Your information is secure with us, however, if you would prefer to speak to a live agent--" No.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiggum posted:

When someone has a username of the form Adjective Noun, like CelticPredator or FreudianSlippers and people shorten it by just saying the adjective instead of the noun, eg. Celtic rather than Predator; Freudian rather than Slippers.

This is the Celtic predator

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's one mean looking motherfucker.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The fact that when you are searching for an image or clicking something on twitter, the default is that it just opens up an equal sized or more often smaller version. I'm clicking on it because I want to see the bigger picture. Why do I have to click on it and then right click and view the image to actually see what is going on in it?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The "help" button in Discord. Both because it's right next to the "inbox" button so I accidentally click it all the time and because it opens a browser tab instead of an in-app popup that you can just hit escape to close.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kid's show: if you feel angry, remember this song!

The song: *never approaches a memorable tune, terrible forced lyrics*

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Oh also a real peeve: no matter how interested my 1yo is in what he's doing, he'll stop and come try to gently caress with my mug of coffee until I set it up high. Just stop, dude! I know it's the last thing you haven't been allowed to touch, but believe me you don't wanna

Something I wrote years ago, when my son was that age.

"Things [Imagined Jr] enjoys: cardboard boxes, electric cords, remote controls, straps and shoestrings, tags, the dog, paper, bits of wood, sharp corners, cabinet doors, anything we're currently eating or using. Conspicuously absent from this list: his toys, anything designed for children."

Conclusion: babies are cats. This analogy also extends to how we parents ascribe all kinds of personality and significance to their every gesture when it probably isn't there, and think they're much cuter and more interesting than anybody else does.

A friend once questioned what all this said about evolution, if human babies are so helpless and suicidal. Then it hit me that the evolutionary pressure was on the parental end: only the parents who paid enough attention to keep their babies from killing themselves got to pass on their genes.

A different pet peeve: coworkers who say "Oh wow is it 5 already?" and make no motion to leave when I walk by their desks fully loaded with my keys in my hand on my way out the door at 5 o'clock on the DOT.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 15:04 on Nov 17, 2021

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
When people say poo poo like 'sorry I didn't reply to your message, something went wrong with my phone and I didn't receive it!'

I've got a guy doing work work on my house atm who has pulled this more than once already... Like dude, don't make a lovely excuse, just apologise and move on.

If you're a self employed builder and your only phone is genuinely incapable of communication then you've got some fuckin problems, but I somehow doubt that's the case.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Why is the milkshake machine always broken? Most unreliable piece of technology ever.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Because they don't have anyone to clean it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Chemtrailologist posted:

Why is the milkshake machine always broken? Most unreliable piece of technology ever.

I heard Mcdonalds was suing the manufacturer of those machines. Something about preventing repairs and being slow af at support.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

McDonald’s has lost shitloads of money over those always being down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ok this is stupid but

My kid's watching Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood which is based on Mister Rogers,

There's a whole episode about Trolley and uhhhhh I guess Trolley is motherfucking trolley-BUS now!? This thing is just rolling along the road, no tracks in sight, and one point it gets a flat tire and they have to reinflate it and I'm just like

What what is this?!??