Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Also it's sad that the guy killed himself on the steps of the memorial, but his suicide note combined with the public nature of the act comes off as a really sad attempt to hurt and embarrass the girl that dumped him.

It also comes across as an attempt to rationalize away a deeply lovely thing to do to people who he knew cared about him as an act of resistance. Guy goes straight from "there's not enough time to say goodbye" to "I've known I would do this for years".

This isn't a callout or anything, but I don't think it's an idea to quote the text of a note like that when a summary would do.

eviltastic fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
NYT going to bat for O'Keefe and Project Veritas
https://twitter.com/MarkMazzettiNYT/status/1458941978117386246?s=20
Its pretty vomit inducing. Going to the level of calling O'Keefe a 'coworker' and taking Veritas videos at face value as "News" and "Reporting"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MadJackal posted:

I think he's going to be found innocent and there will be more riots.

I doubt it. Maybe some protests, but nothing reaching even close to the fervor of last summer. Maybe I'm overly cynical, but I think that a large portion of the energy behind the Floyd protests was just general anger over Trump. Now that he's out of the spotlight, a lot of the folks who supported or came out last year have mentally checked out of politics.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CommieGIR posted:

Its pretty vomit inducing. Going to the level of calling O'Keefe a 'coworker' and taking Veritas videos at face value as "News" and "Reporting"

It's not "how far can we go before breaking the law", it's "how far do we have to pull back until it's unclear enough whether we're breaking the law that dad's expensive lawyers can paper over it"

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Mellow Seas posted:

Sometimes people confuse "not a D&D poster who is familiar with the range of acceptable opinions" with "a troll". I mean a panel of 12 jurors (albeit with a very biased judge) is extremely likely to come to the same conclusions you have, so clearly it's a position someone can take without being a troll.

This is a great and salient point.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

CommieGIR posted:

:lol: Don't worry, they also went to bat for Kyle Rittenhouse the other day too, to similar vomit-inducing effectiveness:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1458469521514184708

What a fuckin' rag.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

did we just read the same article cuz i ctrl-f'd coworker, news, and reporting and none of that is there

this was funny tho

quote:

In a February 2018 memo, Mr. Barr said he was writing in response to questions from the group about the use of Tinder “to meet prospective agents of the ‘Deep State’ or those with national security clearances.”

Times even mentions that they are currently being sued by Veritas...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Abner Assington posted:

:lol: Don't worry, they also went to bat for Kyle Rittenhouse the other day too, to similar vomit-inducing effectiveness:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1458469521514184708

What a fuckin' rag.

Jesus Christ.

quote:

Kyle Rittenhouse arrived in downtown Kenosha on Aug. 25, 2020, with at least one mission in mind: to play the role of police officer and medic, joining a group of other armed civilians roaming the city streets, offering medical attention to strangers and protecting buildings from rioters.

The night would end with Mr. Rittenhouse, then 17, engaging in violence himself, fatally shooting two men and wounding another. Hours later, he turned himself in to the police in Illinois, where he lived.

For much of his life, Mr. Rittenhouse had tried on identities infused with bravery and service, while exaggerating his accomplishments and eventually dropping out of high school.

He had idolized law enforcement since he was young, joining a cadet program for at-risk youths in his hometown, Antioch, Ill., and later decorating his social media pages with Blue Lives Matter images and praise for former President Donald J. Trump. At the time of the shootings, Mr. Rittenhouse was employed part-time as a lifeguard at a recreational complex in Pleasant Prairie, Wis., which borders Kenosha.

Mr. Rittenhouse testified at his trial on Wednesday that he was studying nursing at Arizona State University.

Jay Thorne, a spokesman for the university, said in an email that Mr. Rittenhouse had enrolled in an online program that allows students to take classes before seeking admission to the university. The online program is not affiliated with the university’s nursing school or any other degree program, he said. The session in which Mr. Rittenhouse is enrolled began on Oct. 13.

His parents were divorced, and he lived with his mother, Wendy, in an apartment in Antioch, a small town in a rural area along the Wisconsin border. But he found a male role model in Dominick Black, the boyfriend of Mr. Rittenhouse’s sister McKenzie. The two young men became so close that they called each other brothers.

Mr. Black was perhaps Mr. Rittenhouse’s strongest tie to Kenosha, and a key enabler of the shootings in August 2020. Mr. Rittenhouse, who at 17 was too young to purchase a firearm legally in Wisconsin, paid Mr. Black to buy him a military-style semiautomatic rifle at an Ace Hardware store in Ladysmith, in rural northern Wisconsin.

The two met with other armed people on the night of the shootings to protect Car Source, a used-car business, where Mr. Rittenhouse carried his weapon and falsely told people in the crowd that he was a trained emergency medical technician.

After he was charged with six criminal counts, including first-degree intentional homicide, the most serious murder charge in Wisconsin, Mr. Rittenhouse and his family embraced far-right groups that came to his side, united in the message that the killings were acts of self-defense.

What a little angel!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fister Roboto posted:

Jesus Christ.

What a little angel!

He has to be getting at least some jail time for the many, many crimes he indisputably, unquestionably committed, even if he gets off for murder, right?

Right???

Right????

e: Also hosed up that apparently this Dominick Black, the other Proud Boys on the scene, and all the cops who are almost as responsible for the shootings as Rittenhouse (because they thought a white child carrying an assault weapon around, "after curfew" at that, was A-OK) aren't even facing any public scorn, let alone charges.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 12, 2021

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mellow Seas posted:

He has to be getting at least some jail time for the many, many crimes he indisputably, unquestionably committed, even if he gets off for murder, right?

Right???

Right????

e: Also hosed up that apparently this Dominick Black, the other Proud Boys on the scene, and all the cops who are almost as responsible for the shootings as Rittenhouse (because they thought a white child carrying an assault weapon around, "after curfew" at that, was A-OK) aren't even facing any public scorn, let alone charges.

It’s quite possible or even likely that the friend that sold him the gun is the only person that is locked up for a lengthy stay.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
Every day I’m more and more surprised that there’s not even more whole-scale massacre of leftists or civil rights advocates in the street considering the alignment of the country’s justice system and media apparatuses to rehabilitate and acquit right wing murderers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Every day I’m more and more surprised that there’s not even more whole-scale massacre of leftists or civil rights advocates in the street considering the alignment of the country’s justice system and media apparatuses to rehabilitate and acquit right wing murderers.

Most american leftists have been successfully cowed away towards actual methods of change, making such uneccessary and potentially destabilizing. You do see it happen when they inch towards rioting, but otherwise why bother?

Anyways:
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1459208302030581761?s=20

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Most american leftists have been successfully cowed away towards actual methods of change, making such uneccessary and potentially destabilizing. You do see it happen when they inch towards rioting, but otherwise why bother?

Anyways:
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1459208302030581761?s=20

Think we can call it. Jayapal and the CPC so obviously got rolled.

Bifner McDoogle
Mar 31, 2006

"Life unworthy of life" (German: Lebensunwertes Leben) is a pragmatic liberal designation for the segments of the populace which they view as having no right to continue existing, due to the expense of extending them basic human dignity.

AmiYumi posted:

This seems like it’s only getting traction because of the Air Force connection, which is just so shittily on-brand for America. “Mental health, blah blah who gives a gently caress, try not being gay or some poo poo w/e. ONE OF ARE TROOPZ DID IT BECAUSE OF A GIRL? We need a National discussion on this immediately, finally a reason to care!!”

Mental Health care for veterans is loving awful in this country, and the awfulness is down to a science. The VA is underfunded, understaffed and essentially pressured to deal with patients quickly as opposed to treating them. A pretty common thing is to recommend medication or narrow treatments that you know the veteran will hate and stop taking, at which point you can write them off as non-compliant and are covered even if the veterans blows their brains out on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial..

Where did you get the idea that anyone gives a poo poo about vets in this country?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Why bother putting in the effort yourself when the copsSUICIDE NOTHING TO SEE HERE will shoot them several times in the mouth and lock them in an on-fire parked car for you?

[Edit:]

Bifner McDoogle posted:

Mental Health care for veterans is loving awful in this country, and the awfulness is down to a science. The VA is underfunded, understaffed and essentially pressured to deal with patients quickly as opposed to treating them. A pretty common thing is to recommend medication or narrow treatments that you know the veteran will hate and stop taking, at which point you can write them off as non-compliant and are covered even if the veterans blows their brains out on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial..

Where did you get the idea that anyone gives a poo poo about vets in this country?
I don’t have that idea, my post was about how little the media cares about the mental health aspect in the first place. I am well aware of how the USA feels about soldiers/veterans who aren’t good props.

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 12, 2021

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
Biden tells progressives, "Trust me."
Biden warns progressives that whole agenda could sink.

Gosh. What a stunning turn of events. Truly an unexpected twist.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

selec posted:

Think we can call it. Jayapal and the CPC so obviously got rolled.

We knew that the moment they rolled over

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

I often go out of my way to remind people that the NYT exists today because Marx's writings on economics and slavery being published in the Tribune made a rich guy so mad he pumped a bunch of money into it specifically to serve as a conservative counter to what he viewed as radical rabble rousing. Everything makes a lot more sense once that corner piece is in place

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

AmiYumi posted:

Why bother putting in the effort yourself when the copsSUICIDE NOTHING TO SEE HERE will shoot them several times in the mouth and lock them in an on-fire parked car for you?

[Edit:]

I don’t have that idea, my post was about how little the media cares about the mental health aspect in the first place.

Cops and feds are great for killing black people and leftists, but considering that Republicans need to keep their voter base at red line fear and anger to engage them, and have been doing it for decades now, it’s more just astounding that more of them don’t take matters into their own hands.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

and yeah the CPC is a non-factor in anything going forward. Sucks but it is what it is. Don't take a hostage if you aren't willing to shoot it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does continually expecting mass ideological slaughters and being constantly disappointed cause you to reevaluate anything personally about your understanding of the country and its people or do you just let it linger at confusion

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

IPlayVideoGames posted:

Cops and feds are great for killing black people and leftists, but considering that Republicans need to keep their voter base at red line fear and anger to engage them, and have been doing it for decades now, it’s more just astounding that more of them don’t take matters into their own hands.

They do. The thing you're describing is a large part of why stochastic terrorism is so white and male in this country. That and anomie, probably, but it's definitely strongly influenced by that whole "stoking their base to be afraid and angry" part.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

hobbez posted:

I’ll also say as someone that works in psychiatry Rittenhouse’s crying thru that section of testimony appears to be a legitimate panic attack. I’d be interested to hear from anyone that has firsthand experience with those that doesn’t believe that appears to be a legit panic attic

While I'm not going to claim that observable panic attack symptoms are universal, having assisted people in domestic or housing crisis for many years and learned the grounding and interventionary methods for assisting someone going through one, I would have to testify that I've never seen a panic attack express itself like rittenhouse's. The hyperventilation does not appear autonomic. never had anyone posture themselves like him, either. you do different things with your sitting posture, your balance, your breathing, and your hands.

Is it possible it's real? I guess. Do I trust him enough to sidestep the weirdly performative appearance of the 'attack?' No, there's enough to dish on him as it is, including his embracing the far right afterwards and taking on the personal mentality of him having done what was actively right in that situation.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So it looks like Rittenhouse is going to get away with it.

Does this mean that legally speaking, BLM, and Antifa can defend themselves with AR-15's and shoot fascists? I know the answer is no, but that is the precedent you'd think this would be setting.

"Good guys with guns" on both sides of a protest defending themselves, is just the long way of saying civil war.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

Ershalim posted:

They do. The thing you're describing is a large part of why stochastic terrorism is so white and male in this country. That and anomie, probably, but it's definitely strongly influenced by that whole "stoking their base to be afraid and angry" part.

I’ve never heard the term ‘anomie’ before. Thank you. That’s interesting.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Doesn't look like the passage of BIF a week ago has helped Biden's approval ratings, according to the 538 poll tracker. Maybe the signing ceremony on Monday will change things!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Willa Rogers posted:

Doesn't look like the passage of BIF a week ago has helped Biden's approval ratings, according to the 538 poll tracker. Maybe the signing ceremony on Monday will change things!

I doubt much will at this point. 2022 is going to be worse than 2010.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump was the historical low mark and he got like 72 million votes, approval ratings are deprecated. I think 2022 is a grim date looming for the Dems but not because of approval ratings specifically

selec
Sep 6, 2003

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I would say anomie (or as Marxists might term it alienation) is the primary cause; tons of people simmer constantly in the same primordial grievance pits that occasionally pop out a shooter; the ideology excuses it, but the alienation is the foot on the gas pedal. We have a generation or two of (especially male) young people we are doing a terrible job of initiating into our society, and the response to having no place or use in a society can turn into destructive impulses.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Unless Biden magically fixes the supply shock issues and gets costs to come down very quickly (and much of that is out of his control or involves things he just won’t do), I don’t see how his ratings get better. This is not a surprise.

It’s not looking good for 2022, but we’ve been saying that since April, if not earlier.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

IPlayVideoGames posted:

I tend to view things from a sociological lens, but another thing you might find interesting is the psychological term "abjection" if you don't already know that. There are a lot of ways to describe what capitalism does to a person's sense of identity (and why), but I think that ultimately many of the problems we have that result in violence are because the systems we use to support exponential growth in perpetuity just dehumanize people to the point where they don't see themselves, or sometimes others, as real or with any meaning because they don't have monetary or social value. Then, given how we culturally interpret success and social status, people feel as if there's no place for them anywhere.

And that manifests in different ways -- violence, depression, posting on dead gay comedy sites, etc..

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

th3t00t posted:

So it looks like Rittenhouse is going to get away with it.

Does this mean that legally speaking, BLM, and Antifa can defend themselves with AR-15's and shoot fascists? I know the answer is no, but that is the precedent you'd think this would be setting.

"Good guys with guns" on both sides of a protest defending themselves, is just the long way of saying civil war.

Any precedent set by a ruling like this is overruled by the existing precedent of "The law exists to gently caress over minorities, the poor, and the left."

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Eric Cantonese posted:

Unless Biden magically fixes the supply shock issues and gets costs to come down very quickly (and much of that is out of his control or involves things he just won’t do), I don’t see how his ratings get better. This is not a surprise.

It’s not looking good for 2022, but we’ve been saying that since April, if not earlier.

I also think there is a large dash of his rhetoric about how Covid was defeated in July to blame. Right around August when it was realized that it in fact is still here, and people still in fact need masks, is when that approval took a dive.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

Wonderful! It's nice to see he isn't getting any positive credit for that.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Epic High Five posted:

I often go out of my way to remind people that the NYT exists today because Marx's writings on economics and slavery being published in the Tribune made a rich guy so mad he pumped a bunch of money into it specifically to serve as a conservative counter to what he viewed as radical rabble rousing. Everything makes a lot more sense once that corner piece is in place
Err, got anything on this? I mean, gently caress the NYT on general principle anymore, but I know that one of the founders (Henry Jarvis Raymond) was a pretty strongly against slavery. Not sure about the other guy, though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I doubt much will at this point. 2022 is going to be worse than 2010.

I'd be more worried about 2024 than 2022 at this point. I expect both houses to be Republican-controlled after 2022. 2024 has the potential to make the Republican edge in the Senate basically untouchable until the Democratic Party completely changes.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So in looking more into why he wasn't federally charged/prosecuted, it seems that the claim is that the gun never crossed state lines. He made a straw purchase from Jacob Black, his friend, in May, and the gun was stored in WI until he retrieved it the night of the shootings, in August.

How likely is this the actual chain of events? I haven't seen anything confirming this other than Black and Rittenhouse's testimony. Why wasn't Black charged by the DOJ? Would it have been possible for a federal prosecutor to obtain a warrant to search text messages and other electronic trail to see if the gun ever crossed state lines? Would it have mattered?

edit OK so making a straw purchase is a federal felony. Why wasn't Rittenhouse charged for the straw purchase and subsequently investigated for the shootings by the DOJ?

skylined! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 12, 2021

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

AmiYumi posted:

This seems like it’s only getting traction because of the Air Force connection, which is just so shittily on-brand for America. “Mental health, blah blah who gives a gently caress, try not being gay or some poo poo w/e. ONE OF ARE TROOPZ DID IT BECAUSE OF A GIRL? We need a National discussion on this immediately, finally a reason to care!!”

I, too, am completely incapable of remembering names or checking rap sheets. Every post is a brand new mystery and so are faces, you’re not my granddaughter where am i

Yesterday was Veterans Day. Pretty sure that and lots of veterans having mental health issues and largely being ignored by everyone have something to do with it as well.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Abner Assington posted:

Err, got anything on this? I mean, gently caress the NYT on general principle anymore, but I know that one of the founders (Henry Jarvis Raymond) was a pretty strongly against slavery. Not sure about the other guy, though.

I'll try to dig up the article on it I read years back through the challenge that is searching for anything about Marx with vague keywords. I don't think it was a pro-slavery situation, more of the much more common "what you propose is too extreme, sir!" type and anyway, I'd bet good money the real reason he felt personally attacked was all of Marx's other suppositions and proposals re: people of means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

Epic High Five posted:

Trump was the historical low mark and he got like 72 million votes, approval ratings are deprecated. I think 2022 is a grim date looming for the Dems but not because of approval ratings specifically

Approval ratings are definitely outdated. How many people here approve of how Biden is handling things? Overall if I was polled I'd probably say I didn't approve of his job so far. But, I'll still hold my nose and pull the vote lever when it's time.

I'd actually kinda be interested to see a study of: Biden voters, disapprove, will vote again. I bet it's a pretty big chunk of people.