Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
I mean they do seem to have at least one Echo quality: the ability to speak and be understood regardless of language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jetrauben posted:

I mean they do seem to have at least one Echo quality: the ability to speak and be understood regardless of language.
That works for everyone? I thought we were just using our power there and because dragons are so loving loud they have sound behind it instead of just being a text box. (Presumably we're translating for the elves.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Language is always ignored unless it needs not to be. Everyone can speak Garlean, Hingan, Eorzean, and everything in between anyways.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
i mean when you meet hraesvelgr alphie pretty explicitly says he understand him despite not knowing the language, which presumably would mean this is unusual for him despite hanging with us

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Basically, dragons speak with such firm conviction that everyone understands them despite speaking in another language. They're aliens, don't think about it too hard.

I actually think the weirdest part is that there's two instances of language that I know of that we can't understand, even with the Echo: the mandragoras of Hildibrand's storyline (presuming that's a language, at least), and the scroll found in Nybeth's lair. Not Nybeth himself, who we can understand just fine, but Nybeth's writings.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cleretic posted:

Basically, dragons speak with such firm conviction that everyone understands them despite speaking in another language. They're aliens, don't think about it too hard.

I actually think the weirdest part is that there's two instances of language that I know of that we can't understand, even with the Echo: the mandragoras of Hildibrand's storyline (presuming that's a language, at least), and the scroll found in Nybeth's lair. Not Nybeth himself, who we can understand just fine, but Nybeth's writings.

Also Alpha (until the end of the raid series)

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

thetoughestbean posted:

Also Alpha (until the end of the raid series)

Supposedly we don't understand Alpha because he doesn't have a true soul yet until the end of the series. Maybe it's the same with the mandragoras?

Interestingly, do we ever actually have examples of the Echo working on a written language? It would make sense if it didn't.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Jetrauben posted:

Interestingly, do we ever actually have examples of the Echo working on a written language? It would make sense if it didn't.

I can't think of any instances where it's made relevant.

WoL doesn't understand a lot of things when things get technical, but this is because the WoL has Urianger to do the complicated reading for them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Yeah the WoL seems like someone who don't want to think too much and honestly, same.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Macaluso posted:

Yeah the WoL seems like someone who don't want to think too much and honestly, same.

Not saying the WoL is dumb, but the WoL seems to value decisive action ahead of deeper strategic or academic thinking. Practical problems. Practical solutions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gearhead posted:

Not saying the WoL is dumb, but the WoL seems to value decisive action ahead of deeper strategic or academic thinking. Practical problems. Practical solutions.

true, but also, the WoL eats rocks

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Good source of iron and zinc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Countblanc posted:

true, but also, the WoL eats rocks

That is just being polite to Ishgardian hosts

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
lick the rocks, WoL

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Y'know with all the new xiv players that have been starting the game, I can't help but wonder if it's a good idea to have the thread title be a spoiler in itself.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't think there's anything specific enough in what's just a Xenosaga pun to be that spoilery.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Y'know with all the new xiv players that have been starting the game, I can't help but wonder if it's a good idea to have the thread title be a spoiler in itself.

Zenos is all over the marketing. There's some stuff you can avoid spoiling but "Zenos is back" really can't be.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

He's also only dead for about five minutes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SirSamVimes posted:

I suggest we approach it JoJo style, and pick a spoiler so bonkers it won't register as a real thing.

But in seriousness, I don't think the current thread title really is a spoiler, because before you meet Zenos it means nothing, and after you do it doesn't really carry anything. I feel similar to how some people get jumpy about someone mentioning, like, Emet-Selch's name; 'there's a good villain with this name' doesn't count as a spoiler, because you only learn his name when it's no longer a spoiler that he's an active villain.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 12, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FFXIV Spoiler Thread: Teledji > Adeledji

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Teledji / Adeledji 1/2 is my favorite anime.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
While I think generally trying not to spoil stuff is good, Zenos's name itself is basically meaningless and he's dead for maybe thirty minutes for new players. Like maybe 10-20 quests depending on how quickly you pick up on the weird katana elf. It could also just be read as a funny jrpg joke and not a serious "yo Zenos is back"

'Course if you watch any of the Endwalker stuff then yeah you know big thick garlean boy never dies.

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HfraUD-lcM

TGLT fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 12, 2021

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I once did the usual pre-patch joke of "yeah Goku is the final boss of the dungeon" for Swallow's Compass and boy was there egg on my face when I saw who the final boss actually was.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You see Zenos in a cutscene like 30 minutes after you kill him anyways.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Zenos is also in two separate trailers after his death

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

koji kabuto dies in magma

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The open spoilers on Zenos coming back to life actually got me pretty good because I assumed Elidibus possessing his body was what people were talking about, so Zenos getting his body back for real was actually a surprise. Yes I did not make the in-hindsight-obvious assumption that the mystery swordsman was Zenos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ibblebibble posted:

I once did the usual pre-patch joke of "yeah Goku is the final boss of the dungeon" for Swallow's Compass and boy was there egg on my face when I saw who the final boss actually was.

This is such a great multi-tiered joke

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

https://twitter.com/nash0k1desu/status/1459110886170259456?t=sNLiRBAol1y5hacZ9hzwDA&s=19

My take is Emet shippers stay winning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope Zodiark is actually an incredibly nice and benevolent force like Hydaelyn but the fact that Ascians are immortal means that despite his intentions, they’ve been tempered and are even more monstrous than he ever wanted them to be since they never died and went back to the lifestream. He actively tried to avoid their fate.

Like he, the first primal, embodied to the letter the hopes and intentions of those sacrificed. But because the amaurotians didn’t understand what they were getting into, Zodiark tempered people accidentally and they then bastardized his intended purpose acting like absurd cultists and wanting to sacrifice more people for the greater good, even though he just wanted to help.

So when Hydaelyn popped up and split him up, Zodiark was more than willing to be defeated and imprisoned to protect the world from himself. But the Ascians were tempered and believe themselves to be working in service of Zodiark while doing absolutely cruel and horrific things.

That allows the stories to end on a “freedom is most important” note, and fits the escalation of “tragic villain” that FF14 has had so far. Can you imagine a more tragic fate for a lawful good being than “locked up and forced to watch, powerless, as chaotic evil people commit constant genocide and horrors in your name BECAUSE of you” and the sympathy one would have for them? poo poo.

jokes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 12, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also maybe that means Hydaelyn and Zodiark can get married

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

jokes posted:

Also maybe that means Hydaelyn and Zodiark can get married

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

jokes posted:

I hope Zodiark is actually an incredibly nice and benevolent force like Hydaelyn but the fact that Ascians are immortal means that despite his intentions, they’ve been tempered and are even more monstrous than he ever wanted them to be since they never died and went back to the lifestream. He actively tried to avoid their fate.

Like he, the first primal, embodied to the letter the hopes and intentions of those sacrificed. But because the amaurotians didn’t understand what they were getting into, Zodiark tempered people accidentally and they then bastardized his intended purpose acting like absurd cultists and wanting to sacrifice more people for the greater good, even though he just wanted to help.

So when Hydaelyn popped up and split him up, Zodiark was more than willing to be defeated and imprisoned to protect the world from himself. But the Ascians were tempered and believe themselves to be working in service of Zodiark while doing absolutely cruel and horrific things.

Maybe Zodiark just radiates tempering energy, but when we've see primals temper people it was always an intentional effort. And when we've seen the tempered act it's generally been in accordance with what their primal wanted barring when a recent resummoning changes their priorities. Which kinda goes into the other thing - primals act in accordance with the intent and beliefs that summoned them albeit usually twisted. Why would Zodiark suddenly want to bounce when summoned by people that seemed pretty intent on him being their permanent fix?

TGLT fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 12, 2021

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

That'd be pretty neat

Pretty similar in some ways to Alexander and arguably Ramuh, so it's not particularly farfetched either.

Though I can see not wanting to rework that twist too many times.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

So how come Zodiark tempers but Hydaelyn doesn't? Does she grant the Echo or just the Blessing of Light?! Which is responsible for our resistance to tempering??

I feel like these have been somewhat answered but I can't remember the details.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

zodiark is by design a salvation elemental, the problem is just who decides what salvation even means. arguably zodiark sundered himself before hydaelin was even summoned because the ancient survivors weren't united in how to go forward, causing him to pop out elidibus and then elidibus spending a million years in a state of hazy confusion

considering zodiark is also meant to be the will of the planet it's a bit weird he's sealed on the moon. the immediately obvious answer is "hydaelin did that", but it also meant the only ones with access to zodiark to give him a unified idea of salvation were people who can just teleport to the moon, so who knows

Kazy posted:

So how come Zodiark tempers but Hydaelyn doesn't? Does she grant the Echo or just the Blessing of Light?! Which is responsible for our resistance to tempering??

this is an unpopular theory around these parts, but there' always the possibility that hydaelin does temper people. we know from the ascians and tiamat that tempering can be subtle, largely keeping your personality and memories intact but impact your behaviour and decision-making in the presence of the primal. the game also fairly recently introduced a cure to tempering, so, you know

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 12, 2021

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kazy posted:

The Echo provides protection against tempering, while the Blessing of Light is more of a direct line to Hydaelyn that she can use to empower/protect you when necessary. It's not actually clear that Zodiark or Hydaelyn can temper anyone in their current states, as Emet-Selch mentions that the sundered Ascians they've used to fill Convocation seats in the past have been driven by fanatical devotion and not a magical geas.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Kazy posted:

Presumably the same reason Ramuh doesn't go out of his way to temper Gridanians - primals seem to be able to choose who they do and don't temper. If Hydaelyn hasn't tempered people it's probably a consequence of being summoned by people who were horrified by it.

Hydaelyn doesn't grant the echo - see the 5.3 cutscene with Elidibus creating an illusory end of days. She just shouts into the void on repeat in a way that only people with the echo can hear. Since the Unsundered all have the Echo in it's full entirety but seem pretty tempered, it's probably safe to say it provides resistance to but not full immunity from tempering. Probably something to do with how tempering unbalances a character's aether.

I think the "Blessing of Light" is just her intervening during fights occasionally, like with shielding us from Ultima.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I bet we end up finishing off the ascians and ending up in a “world of balance” like in final fantasy VI only to go a-venturing to a new continent. I think that only works if Zodiark and Hydaelyn both die or are both benevolent and kept in the background, which makes me think that the ascians are the bad guys and not Zodiark, or Zodiark is bad and Hydaelyn kills him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i said it before but hydaelin and zodiark will both sacrifice themselves to charge up our spirit bomb so we can defeat john q final days