Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've a sudden vision of the future of the UK where sex work is legal and you'll get sanctioned if you turn it down.

(TBH this has apparently literally happened, and more than once, in Germany, and I've already told the story of my niece's friend - a qualified hairdresser - who was threatened with sanctions for turning down an apprentice placement at a "beauty salon" that was actually a fairly notorious massage parlour)

e: A grim note to start a new page on, so instead have a picture of my cat having decided that he'd had quite enough of me waving this toy around at him so just sat on it and gave me this very old-fashioned Look.

ee: lol I've just noticed that behind him you can see the tiny bolt that went missing out of my 3D printer that I eventually ended having to buy a whole pack of to replace.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The correct solution of course is that they shouldn't be sanctioning loving anybody.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

The correct solution of course is that they shouldn't be sanctioning loving anybody.

Yes exactly. The correct position is to call on structures with the real power to make a difference to take a pro-active approach rather than passive, responsive ones. Sanctioning people doesn't enable people to find work and so unemployment support schemes shouldn't do it and should be tasked with creating employment suited to them instead, universities have major controls over student costs of living and so should be pressured to lessen them rather than abstract support training for students needing extra employment to study.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But that is the point of a university, it is a business that uses a racket to coerce people into giving it money for services that are largely useless absent the entirely artificial qualifications centered structure designed to prop up the university business.

I don't think you can make universities stop doing that any more than you can make companies stop exploiting their workers, the absence of exploitation is describing a fundamentally different thing.

A university that raises its fees to the maximum level and finds as many ways as possible to extract more monetary value from its students is a university working optimally, a university being the most university it can be.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I do research into fiction as a hobby these days and this may be relevant to some people here.

Trans friends. If you like detective fiction and audiobooks the dearly departed Gwendolyn Butler John Coffin books are free to members. She was revolutionary in her open LGBT+ acceptance in fiction and even wrote a book addressing her acceptance of trans people, explicitly exploring Stella and John’s positive feelings* towards trans women.

I mean the books are incredibly dark at times but the author likes you.

*that sentence makes more sense if you know the books

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

But that is the point of a university, it is a business that uses a racket to coerce people into giving it money for services that are largely useless absent the entirely artificial qualifications centered structure designed to prop up the university business.

I don't think you can make universities stop doing that any more than you can make companies stop exploiting their workers, the absence of exploitation is describing a fundamentally different thing.

A university that raises its fees to the maximum level and finds as many ways as possible to extract more monetary value from its students is a university working optimally, a university being the most university it can be.

I think a shitload of educators and people in general disagree with your assessment of what a university HAS to be. Regardless it's impotent defeatism to say 'this thing has to be this way' and then refuse to criticise its actual practices when resisting might cause change or create replacements.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am specifically skeptical of the idea that opposing support for students who are doing sex work, is going to somehow lead to a reduction in university related expenses and/or otherwise better conditions for the students.

I also don't think that diane abbott has really thought about it beyond the idea of "eww sex work gross bad how do I ban it?"

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

It's one of the big points of fracture between 2nd and 3rd wave feminism, isn't it? Bit of a shame to see Diane Abott on the wrong side of the issue.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Failed Imagineer posted:

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1459136193162063872?t=26YXW0yTjCTQ84K9fhh_nw&s=19
A Japanese advisor would commit seppuku, this guy just keeps posting self-owns

These Domdom screeds are interesting in a cheese-dream sort of way but he does pick up on an interesting point that's been absent so far in the reporting of the second jobs scandal. When our prime minister was a humble MP he got a £275k a year salary to write an occasional column for the Telegraph. Whether that was within the rules or not is a side point. Nobody's asking the real question about what exactly was being bought and sold for all that money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

Nobody is getting tips on deepthroating a client or where to get free condoms.
The latter at least sounds like it would be useful for everyone.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've a sudden vision of the future of the UK where sex work is legal and you'll get sanctioned if you turn it down.

(TBH this has apparently literally happened, and more than once, in Germany, and I've already told the story of my niece's friend - a qualified hairdresser - who was threatened with sanctions for turning down an apprentice placement at a "beauty salon" that was actually a fairly notorious massage parlour)
I remember the Germany one doing the rounds a few years back, and assumed that due to where it was doing the rounds (Mumsnet, LifeSite, Christian Science Monitor, etc.) it was a bunch of deliberately inflammatory nonsense made up by some tradcath German lawyers as a "what might happen, any day now, unless we put the sex back in the sex box" that got lost in translation, but it appears that it was more like the German press making something up which the Telegraph ran through BabelFish and made something different up about.

It would be bad if true, of course, as would forcing a vegan to work in an abattoir, a Quaker to work at an off licence, a Muslim to run blackjack tables, or many other things that run into people's deeply held personal moralities, but

OwlFancier posted:

(Presumably under a better system of decriminalization or regulation they wouldn't be calling themselves beauty salons or massage parlours either, a bit like how far less Turkish people got confused once places could just call themselves Gay Saunas)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I am specifically skeptical of the idea that opposing support for students who are doing sex work, is going to somehow lead to a reduction in university related expenses and/or otherwise better conditions for the students.

Of course it won't, that's not the point. You can argue 'should a university offer this kind of support or not' or see that that framing is missing the overall point that students are seeing increased financial hardships, universities have a great deal to do with that and that the first argument is entirely as a result of universities not actually changing their ways to lessen hardships. It's better to tackle causes than symptoms and that's where your efforts should be pointed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have enough words to say that they should take the axe to universities and that diane abbott is a loving pillock for whingeing about support for sex workers.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Okay but you weren't until I brought it up. it's very easy to get caught up in important moral arguments but that's sort of the point, if you do then you miss the important casual structural criticism.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I do research into fiction as a hobby these days

Isn't this just reading books?

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Bug Squash posted:

It's one of the big points of fracture between 2nd and 3rd wave feminism, isn't it? Bit of a shame to see Diane Abott on the wrong side of the issue.

I can't remember any specifics or anything but I seem to recall hearing she was like this the last time decriminalisation came up while she was shadow home sec.

I'd like to believe that this is just an overreaction or something but tbh I'm not totally surprised hearing it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Isn't this just reading books?

Lol no.

Right so, think of all those mills and boon style romance books you see by the box load on markets.

That’s how popular detective fiction was in the 1940s, but like all those market boxes they were printed on poor paper and destined to be read once or twice and then burned. But because publishers didn’t keep copies of everything they printed for posterity there are incredibly popular books that sold hundreds of thousands which simply don’t exist today. It’s crazy, best sellers by people like Francis Vivian and the Radfords are just gone.

So a lot of what I do is hunt down books.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I don't think I'd want my child to be a sex worker? Not sure what that means.

I probably wouldn't want them to be a police officer, soldier, buy to let landlord or webmaster either though.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'd be very surprised if Diane Abbot's position was as banal as 'ew sex work and sex workers are gross, gently caress em'

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Junior G-man posted:

A day late due to *antics* but your weekly UKMT-podspawn is out just now:

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1459162194495651847?s=20

Congratulations for getting noticed by Ian Miles Cheong because of that Josh Sawyer episode btw. :v:

(a very good episode)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Antigravitas posted:

Congratulations for getting noticed by Ian Miles Cheong because of that Josh Sawyer episode btw. :v:

(a very good episode)

There's a name I haven't seen retweeted onto the timeline in a while. Him & Prison Paul both actually haven't been appearing much, guess they aren't funny enough, or at least the joke has worn thin.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You will be pleased to know that ian is glad lowtax is dead because SA is actually where all the woke journalists come from.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

forkboy84 posted:

There's a name I haven't seen retweeted onto the timeline in a while. Him & Prison Paul both actually haven't been appearing much, guess they aren't funny enough, or at least the joke has worn thin.

I thought you were going off about Josh Sawyer and I was very concerned.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1459279370393161728?s=20

Heil article:

heil/news/article-10196665/Now-Boris-Johnson-pays-price-polls-Labour-race-ahead-Tories-SIX-points.html

Labour haven't had 40% poll ratings - ooo since hm - Jeremy Corbyn.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/14/labour-and-tories-level-corbyn-popularity-wanes-poll

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Great, just what we need.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

that is actually good.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Next, a policy.

JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS
JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS
JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS
JOBS JOBS JOBS JOBS

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i don't mean about labour winning or whatever, I mean that for whatever reason boris has hit his impossibility buffers.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1459279370393161728?s=20

Heil article:

heil/news/article-10196665/Now-Boris-Johnson-pays-price-polls-Labour-race-ahead-Tories-SIX-points.html

Labour haven't had 40% poll ratings - ooo since hm - Jeremy Corbyn.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/14/labour-and-tories-level-corbyn-popularity-wanes-poll

The rich, oaky, golden Starmer SURGE

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think I'd want my child to be a sex worker? Not sure what that means.

I probably wouldn't want them to be a police officer, soldier, buy to let landlord or webmaster either though.

Meh I wouldn't be too fussed about it (or if I was it wouldn't be because of the sex part but because of the badly regulated work part).

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm actually kind of relieved just to see something stick and nudged those polls. It's just bizarre that this is the scandal that did it and not all the much bigger ones.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

suck my woke dick posted:

Meh I wouldn't be too fussed about it (or if I was it wouldn't be because of the sex part but because of the badly regulated work part).

Thanks.

But perhaps you can appreciate how your username hasn't totally set my mind at rest?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the only one the press has given a poo poo about and also johnson hosed it and didn't try to power through.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Lol no.

Right so, think of all those mills and boon style romance books you see by the box load on markets.

That’s how popular detective fiction was in the 1940s, but like all those market boxes they were printed on poor paper and destined to be read once or twice and then burned. But because publishers didn’t keep copies of everything they printed for posterity there are incredibly popular books that sold hundreds of thousands which simply don’t exist today. It’s crazy, best sellers by people like Francis Vivian and the Radfords are just gone.

So a lot of what I do is hunt down books.

I do follow a couple of pulp fiction twitters, and the stuff they turn up is wild. This seems like a very good hobby.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

But perhaps you can appreciate how your username hasn't totally set my mind at rest?

:lol:

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

I'm actually kind of relieved just to see something stick and nudged those polls. It's just bizarre that this is the scandal that did it and not all the much bigger ones.

I am currently reading The Deficit Myth and it points out that people think their taxes pay for government spending and so they expect the government to behave themselves with it. The Tories are very good at portraying themselves as the prudential party but sleaze blows that out of the water as The People see The Tories as nothing more than pigs at the trough. At which point they are willing to give Labour a go.

Shame it's going to be poo poo labour that might get in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bug Squash posted:

It's easy to say that people would have died to COVID anyway and we don't know how many, and as we know a lot of people refuse to accept that they were tricked over Brexit. It's a lot harder to spin saying an MP found guilty of corruption is in fact not corrupt and abolishing the independent tribunal that judged him so in favour of one run by your own party. The Tories thought that everyone would accept forever that different rules applied to them and listen to their justifications for why this should be so. They were mostly right, but not right enough.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

notaspy posted:

I am currently reading The Deficit Myth and it points out that people think their taxes pay for government spending and so they expect the government to behave themselves with it. The Tories are very good at portraying themselves as the prudential party but sleaze blows that out of the water as The People see The Tories as nothing more than pigs at the trough. At which point they are willing to give Labour a go.

Shame it's going to be poo poo labour that might get in.

It's convenient that it's causing trouble for the Tories now, but the whole idea that government is spending a strictly limited amount of tax money is a problem. gently caress the whole idea of government spending having to be restricted because they're spending ~your tax poonds~. Government should spend at least as much as necessary to fulfil the demands we make of it, and IMO should err far on the side of spending too much when it comes to subsidising low income individuals and infrastructure. Corruption isn't bad because it's wasting ~your tax poonds~, it's bad because it causes officials to make decisions which will bite other people in the rear end.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 13, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
UK now trying to get trade deals with individual US states

https://www.cityam.com/uk-to-try-and-close-trade-deals-with-individual-us-states-after-white-house-talks-stall/

quote:

The UK will now prioritise closing trade deals with individual US states like California and New York, after negotiations with the White House stalled earlier this year.

Trade minister Penny Mordaunt said today that while “we want a comprehensive Free Trade Agreement between the UK and the US” that “much of my time will be spent” on “working in the US at state level”.

Negotiations for a post-Brexit trade deal with the US began under the Donald Trump White House, however formal negotiations have not continued under Joe Biden.

Boris Johnson indicated that a deal was some way off during a recent trip to the US as Biden was not looking to close trade deals with any country at the moment.

While any agreement between the UK and individual states would not be able to remove tariffs on goods, trade experts say that a deal could be done to make it easier for British companies and professionals to operate in the US.

“We know the US has more to do to be ready for an FTA, but when they are, we will be waiting for them,” Mordaunt said.

“We will be working in the US at state level in the meantime to forge closer economic and political bonds between us. That will be where much of my time will be spent in the coming weeks and months.”

It has been suggested in the past that the UK would look to close trade agreements with individual US states if talks with the federal government looked unlikely to bear fruit.

Key stumbling blocks are thought to be around the status of US agricultural exports and food safety standards.

Former international trade secretary Liz Truss met with a number of state governments in the US this year, including representatives of California Governor Gavin Newsom.

California has the sixth largest economy in the world, with its Gross Domestic Product (GDP) bigger than India, France and Italy.

Much of this is thanks to the cluster of tech giants based in Silicon Valley.

Sam Lowe, trade policy director at Flint Global, said it was worthwhile trying to broker agreements with large US states like California, New York and Pennsylvania.

He said it’s “worth a go, because you’re talking about states the size of small countries or even large countries”.

“US states retain some competencies – for example over rules of recognition for professional qualifications,” he said.

“There are also areas where you have state level competencies around licensing – perhaps in insurance market. It’s plausible the UK could attempt to engage with some states in order to do something there.”

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
this isn't funny anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:psyduck: