Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I haven't been keeping up with this thread because almost all of the images are blocked on my work computer, but I still have it bookmarked for when I have time to catch up on a few pages at home. If you'll pardon the intrusion, I want to invite anyone interested here to this year's Book Barn Secret Santa. If you'd like to get some weird and wonderful books this Christmas, we'd love to have you!

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread because almost all of the images are blocked on my work computer, but I still have it bookmarked for when I have time to catch up on a few pages at home. If you'll pardon the intrusion, I want to invite anyone interested here to this year's Book Barn Secret Santa. If you'd like to get some weird and wonderful books this Christmas, we'd love to have you!

Sorry for the late reply, but this is great, and I wish I had the time and money to do it this year, but I'm just too strapped for both and don't want to let anybody down.

If anyone does take part in the book exchange, please post the weird and wonderful results here!!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

On a scale of 0 to Raven-Symone, how Raven is she?

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I need to update this thread. I have a bunch of new (to me) books that I haven't had a chance to post here yet.

Looking forward to reading this:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I just recently read that Adam Parfrey, who ran Feral House Publishing, died of a stroke at a fairly young age. That sucks. Feral House published some truly esoteric and interesting books, and I hope the imprint keeps going,

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I read all about this. Bunch of feminists blowing the whistle to raise awareness on college campuses around the country about this!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

My local library was getting rid of this lavish three volume history of Royal Dutch Shell.

I dread to think how much this cost when it was new. Hopefully Shell was just dropping them off at libraries as a PR offensive. But I tell you, it is a beautiful book. It was published in 2007, and it's in excellent condition.

I'd assumed it would take the "improved wildlife viscosity" attitude to the oil industry, and while it looks like it ultimately trends towards that view it's not completely corporate whitewashed. There are reproductions of Greenpeace posters and posters calling for the company to be boycotted over apartheid. I'm going to get stuck into it next month and it'll be interesting to see how defensive the text is.

It really is a gorgeous set of books though, and I love it.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"Human and War" ("Man and War" would be more idiomatic in English but you really should change that), published in the "War memory series" by "Scandia-wholesale" in Helsinki, 1964.

"Send us your war stories and we'll publish them!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Human and War" ("Man and War" would be more idiomatic in English but you really should change that), published in the "War memory series" by "Scandia-wholesale" in Helsinki, 1964.

"Send us your war stories and we'll publish them!"

E: the only other publication by Scandia-tukku I can find is a dance manual. I tried to find out if they had anything to do with the record company Scandia but to no avail :shrug:

Ee: gently caress me I loving quoted myself just kill me.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 6, 2021

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

These are all so GREAT!!!!

I gotta find Star Ka'at for my wife for Christmas...

Edit:

Ebay saves the day, again!

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 6, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I remember that Ka'at book (series?)
Pretty sure mine didn't have the Star Wars font though.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Weird book:

Wonderful book:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Illustrated by Ghan Wilson? You can’t get more 70’s cool than that.

Somebody pointed me at a Letterman interview with that guy, and drat he looks just like the shrink I had when I was 10-12 or so.

Side question, when did late night shows stop interviewing anything other than actors? YouTube (and ShoutTV) turn up all kinds of interesting people that would never Abe booked today, even though we have so many more shows in that format.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I don't know, but I love watching old talk show interviews. Like, Gore Vidal was a frequent guest on the Tonight Show during the 70s and 80s, and he and fuckin' Johnny Carson would actually discuss topics (in addition to shilling whatever product, if need be).

I understand that the ads pay for the show, but it'd be nice to have actual adult discussions on mainstream media. Fox News put an end to the possibility of that sort of civil discourse in the United States, and the splintering of media sources has made the media landscape wildly different than when I was a kid.

Honestly, people need to fight like hell to keep the internet a place of anarchy, because free speech doesn't fuckin' matter if there's no way to make your voice heard. It's almost at that point now.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fun fact: that's Chris de Burgh's grandmother.

What a coincidence the writer's name is also de Burgh!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

This is great!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Fun fact: that's Chris de Burgh's grandmother.

What a coincidence the writer's name is also de Burgh!

Wow! I hate this song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te9IWhXJvQo

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Speaking of Bulgakov,

the good

the bad

the ugly

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Speaking of Bulgakov,

the good

the bad

the ugly

I like the art on the 2nd one.

Mikhail Bulgakov wrote some great books. Parts of his novel The White Guard inspired part of a lovely novel I wrote a decade ago. Master and Margarita is still an influence, as it is my favorite novel. I even named a weird zine I used to publish after a line from that book ("Manuscripts Don't Burn").

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/dec/23/us-book-bans-conservative-parents-reading

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Weren't these the same people behind the surge in Dr. Seuss sales? Did they not learn?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Heath posted:

Weren't these the same people behind the surge in Dr. Seuss sales? Did they not learn?

I think Dr. Seuss caught fire from the left. This article is about fire from the right.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That's what I mean, when Dr. Seuss' estate decided to stop publishing a couple of his books, conservatives went out and bought a ton of them. Did they not think the same thing would happen here? Banning something just makes it more interesting.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

lifg posted:

I think Dr. Seuss caught fire from the left. This article is about fire from the right.

The corporate owners of Theodor Seuss Geisel's catalog discontinued publication of a few of the old books with pictures that could easily be seen as racist according to modern sensibilities, so of course that made people want to buy them to see what the fuss is about. That always happens, because curiosity about the forbidden is human nature.

I don't like censorship, but I can understand why the copyright owners did it. I mean, it'd be one thing if it was a steamy novel or something, but these are aimed at little kids, and kids are too dumb to understand the complexities of race and culture, and their impact on human society. Also, the books weren't particularly popular. Lots of books go out of print every day. Sad, but true.

Dr. Seuss did 26 "Private SNAFU" cartoons for the U.S. Army during World War 2, and some of them have racist caricatures of the Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrgtEzblOE

That was totally acceptable in the America of the 1940's, but times change.

There are lots of copies of those discontinued Dr. Seuss books floating around, so the news stories are just more divisive clickbait bullshit to try and rile up idiots for $$$.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gutter Phoenix posted:

The corporate owners of Theodor Seuss Geisel's catalog discontinued publication of a few of the old books with pictures that could easily be seen as racist according to modern sensibilities, so of course that made people want to buy them to see what the fuss is about. That always happens, because curiosity about the forbidden is human nature.

I don't like censorship, but I can understand why the copyright owners did it. I mean, it'd be one thing if it was a steamy novel or something, but these are aimed at little kids, and kids are too dumb to understand the complexities of race and culture, and their impact on human society. Also, the books weren't particularly popular. Lots of books go out of print every day. Sad, but true.

Dr. Seuss did 26 "Private SNAFU" cartoons for the U.S. Army during World War 2, and some of them have racist caricatures of the Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnrgtEzblOE

That was totally acceptable in the America of the 1940's, but times change.

There are lots of copies of those discontinued Dr. Seuss books floating around, so the news stories are just more divisive clickbait bullshit to try and rile up idiots for $$$.

Yeah, that stuff was really common during the WW2 propaganda era

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
In my 6th grade English class the teacher had some newspaper front pages on the wall (I don't know if they were authentic or not) from just after Pearl Harbor and several of the headlines were something like "JAPS BOMB PEARL HARBOR" or something to that effect, and so when we were all supposed to write an assignment based on the attack, naturally the teacher had to correct us all that it was rude to shorten it to "Jap" since literally the entire class had done it, which made no sense to any of us since literally all around us there were legitimate newspapers using the word

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1auxd1CUq4

This sort of thing was acceptable 75 years ago, but as I said, times change. Honestly, I'm amazed that us Americans are openly talking about subjects like systemic racism and how to combat it. It's a start, at least.

It takes a long, long time for cultural attitudes to change among an entire population, but the internet has sped it up quite a bit, which is nice.

Racism is dumb. We're all related to the same hominids who wandered out of Central Africa tens of thousands of years ago and spread out across the world.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

New thread for those interested:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3989490&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post520373528

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone posted this on the Thrifting subreddit:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

wa27 posted:

Someone posted this on the Thrifting subreddit:

Awesome!

I know I've seen that before, but I don't recall ever seeing a copy for sale. It is from 1935, so finding a decent copy is a score in and of itself.

Here is a slightly better picture of the cover:

Sadly, I cannot find a pdf or anything online, but I didn't search too hard either, so there is hope.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I have a ton of new (to me) books to post. I will try to find them all and post pictures today or tomorrow.

I have been a poor host to this book thread. Which is shameful. I apologize.

I've been cleaning my apartment and sorting stuff for months (along with working), and I keep finding cool crap and getting sidetracked. Oops.

I still need to post a bunch of amazing stuff that friend-of-the-thread I brought my Drake donated in summer 2020, which got buried behind heavy boxes of my collection of Weekly World News issues, filling me with deep shame every time I remember the depths of my laziness.

I need to at least post pictures of those since I still haven't hooked up our new scanner because my ancient desk top finally computer crapped out.

So much to do, so little time...

Tl;dr - Gutter Phoenix is a lazy idiot

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tl;dr - Gutter Phoenix is a lazy idiot

Gutter Phoenix has made a really enjoyable thread

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Christmas gifts from my wife:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I was able to find a copy of Star Ka'at for my wife, so Christmas was saved, and the mole people were driven back to Fresno. Hooray!