Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Can’t wait for the vox or vice article

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

N. Senada posted:

Can’t wait for the vox or vice article

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjd8dv/something-awfuls-notorious-gently caress-you-and-die-forum-shuts-down-because-of-nazis

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

SA is the last great web ancient.

usenet still exists

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Kinda creepy that you can be irreverent for 15 years and the vultures will still come to peck at your corpse for their listicles or cooking recipe bios or whatever.
Never be famous, not for one minute.

e: Irrelevant, but also true.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Aygtets posted:

Posting on this thread for the history I guess. Been gone so long I didn't even know Lowtax was wife abuser lovely, just regular Lowtax lovely. Like, gone so long I heard he died from a Google News feed. But this still feels weird.

He was the physical representation of and final tie to Old Internet. Piss jugs and cum boxes. No empathy, and deep depression. Basement PC's, floor mattresses, and wet diarrhea.

Goondolences to his family.

Unfortunately lack of empathy, depression, and diarrhea remain. We now piss in toilets, cum in something we settled for, and our computers are in our pockets and the basement is being rented out for 2000 a month.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Ugh thread getting creepy even for an SA thread

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

AHH F/UGH posted:

lmao the guy on the last page he banned

Rich's response to that post (on the mangosteen thread) was also the post used for his own permaban.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Vice was one of the first articles up yesterday. Seemed pretty straightforward

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7dmqb/richard-lowtax-kyanka-founder-of-something-awful-is-dead-at-45

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
hell yeah dude

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MEIN RAVEN posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7dmqb/richard-lowtax-kyanka-founder-of-something-awful-is-dead-at-45

Thanks, actually hadn't seen that link before.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

I drunk posted once back in 2007 and Lowtax approved the 1 day probation. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, dead man.

Lol imagine being mad about a 24 hour probation 14 years later

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me

Earwicker posted:

usenet still exists

Seconding this. Some very entertaining crazies, funny discussions, and surprisingly comprehensive and recent collections of nzbs to this day.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
RIP. This place was part of the 2000s for me.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

spouse posted:

https://twitter.com/DrewCurtis/status/1458903536486518786

Drew did a twitch stream but I haven't looked for/through the VOD.

Moot has been notoriously quiet since he left 4chan, and actually left google earlier this year. 4chan itself put up a banner calling him "our dad who disowned us", which is... uh... yeah, okay.
https://twitch.tv/videos/1202684108

Starts about 6 minutes in.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

usenet still exists

“I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Alt.gothic on fire after a meow spam attack. I've read the furious howls of trolled therianthropes in Alt.horror.werewolves. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Thanks, actually hadn't seen that link before.

quote:

Kyanka’s legacy is woven into the soul of the internet, for better and for worse. He hated the internet, the internet hated him back, and it's not clear anyone has learned anything from what he helped unleash.

lol

[single tear rolling down cheek] so beautifully worded

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Can't believe grover got doxxed by a mod!!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MEIN RAVEN posted:

I'm glad Matthew gaunt is still an embarrassment to journalism even by vice media standards. Do you think he'll retract all the articles where he took lowtax's word at face value instead of attempting to do journalism, now that he knows about his abuse? No way in hell.

Once again pretty much everything in that article is wrong.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

MEIN RAVEN posted:

Lol at the groverhaus mention

KittenCaboodle
Jan 16, 2014

Fun Shoe

Phlegmish posted:

lol

[single tear rolling down cheek] so beautifully worded

It's the most perfect footnote.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

William Bear posted:

Good to hear that Drew Curtis paid his respects. Now we just need some words from this guy:

lmao everytime

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

haveblue posted:

May 17, 2006. A day that will live in infamy

There I am on the first page, surviving with a probe instead of a ban. :twisted:

Edit: lol his reply to me was "Please don't loving fag up this thread with stupid poo poo."

What a dumbass.

Full Metal Jackass fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 12, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MEIN RAVEN posted:

It's interesting that Vice of all places has consistently seemed to "get" SA as a whole (for better and worse) more than most news outlets whenever it's mentioned or reported on.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm glad Matthew gaunt is still an embarrassment to journalism even by vice media standards. Do you think he'll retract all the articles where he took lowtax's word at face value instead of attempting to do journalism, now that he knows about his abuse? No way in hell.

Once again pretty much everything in that article is wrong.

I've never seen Vice as anything other than an entertainment medium, and nothing more. I take about anything they say with a grain of salt. Was pretty turned off by the circle-jerking in the 2017 article, even if I remember all the names.

The Groverhaus mention was a trip though.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

SA has improved a lot over the past couple years tbh

everyone leaves > overall quality improves

law of averages i guess

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades
Has any one asked Ja Rule what his thoughts are on this yet?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This reminds me of something i can share now. Lowtax told me he got a buyout offer from a media company for $13 million in 2006. He was still having fun with the site and turned it down. He expressed lament at this to me during our own negotiations.

I did my own digging and this was the exact year that conde nast bought reddit and within the reported price range as well. I'm glad I don't live in that timeline.

Late but holy gently caress lmao

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Robot Hobo posted:

Oh, I'm not blaming Lowtax for this, there's already plenty of things he does deserve blame for. It's just a weird butterfly-effect thing. Banning creepy pedos from a forum is an absolutely good thing, yet it somehow led to the worst outcome.

It's like if at the end of Back to the Future, 1985 ends up being a post-apocalyptic wasteland, and we find out it's all because Marty didn't shout racial slurs at future Hill Valley mayor Goldie Wilson when he saw him in the diner back in 1955. Like, what lesson should I be learning from this? Reality is stupid.

Well, I guess what we learned is not to do it again.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Now I can finally buy him an avatar!

Visible Ivan
Jan 23, 2003

What you see is what you get
Noteworthy

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

HootTheOwl posted:

Now I can finally buy him an avatar!

unban his account and let a rotating cast of posters post on it. send 5 bux to earn an entry into the lowtax account raffle.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Konar posted:

Late but holy gently caress lmao

The money wouldn't have made him happy. His gently caress-ups and squandering just would have been more grandiose.

I really feel like he would have been better off working a bog-standard nine to five

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I just found out Grimace is supposed to be a tastebud

If we only learn one thing from this thing that happened, I hope it is that

jaxomlotus
Jun 15, 2001

Handen posted:

Holy poo poo, jaxomlotus. You’re a blast from the past. I joined w1k way before I joined SA, back in like, 2001 maybe? I remember being in middle school, joining w1k, and teaching myself photoshop 5. Not CS5. 5.0. And then discovering photoshop phriday. I hope things are well for you. :)

Hey, thanks and likewise. Good to see a familiar name, even under the circumstances!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

veni veni veni posted:

It's interesting that Vice of all places has consistently seemed to "get" SA as a whole (for better and worse) more than most news outlets whenever it's mentioned or reported on.

Is it? Vice was pretty much the definition of edgelord journalism, and one of its founders came up with the proudboys.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

IrvingWashington posted:

I just found out Grimace is supposed to be a tastebud

If we only learn one thing from this thing that happened, I hope it is that

what the gently caress

jaxomlotus
Jun 15, 2001

Furb posted:

Truth. The photoshop contests with us and Worth1000 were amazing. And that time we invaded Sony Online's dating game...

<3

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my take on lowtax is that he was a conman and his influence is currently being very overstated in a lot of the eulogizing going on.

this website has been part of my life for almost two decades, and i know how influential its been both in terms of internet culture and in terms of many people's personal lives. but i think people are giving rich too much credit. almost everything that made this site what it was and drew people to come here, was the result of the labor of goons and unpaid staff members. like personally i found out about the site because of photoshop phridays, which was run by livestock. most of the other stuff that came from SA and blew up on the internet also had little to do with him, and i often got the impression he resented it

the story that jeff just told about how he turned down millions of dollars because he was "having too much fun" with the site doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. in my brief time working for the site i had very few interactions with rich, and he seemed like he just truly did not give a poo poo, that he hated the bulk of the community he had founded but was happy to take their money. im not saying jeff is lying, i'm sure rich really did tell him that, but the man lied a lot and i would take that story with many grains of salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Twigand Berries posted:

what the gently caress

he also used to have 4 arms and was evil. evil grimace.