Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KillHour posted:

The solution is to just stop caring about achievements and be freeeeeeee

I tend to do that on a first playthrough. During a second playthrough tho? I want to scrape every single inch of the jar! And I know there's stuff that would require even more playthroughs, so I'm not going for 100%.

I also have my limits. I'm not thinking of going through Mooncrash again and doing the real grindy ones, like "have X amount of currency/points" and "install ALL mods on every character".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The achievements for prey are bad though. Scraping every single inch in a game like this is like... reading all the logs and finding all the secrets, not refusing to use 2/3rds of the abilities, most of which are quality of life abilities that make the game more enjoyable to play.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Had my first playthrough recently and I got the achievements for all emails/all transcribes/all people found. I liked exploring everywhere and finding people and only had to used the security terminals a few times.

I knew about the ending twist ahead of time and it still snuck up and disappointed me. woof.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Pamela Springstein posted:

I knew about the ending twist ahead of time and it still snuck up and disappointed me. woof.
I mostly deduced the ending from the way people talked about it and I think that immunized me against it for a little bit.

For a while there way too many games had an ending where it was all a dream / it was all a simulation and I would love for no piece of media to ever do that again. I was so grateful The Forgotten City didn't end that way because it would have been a natural fit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The ending completely blindsided me because I had read nothing about the game and also finding out I was a Typhon the whole time loving ruled. It's me, I'm the guy who liked the ending

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Back when I was a kid I played a game on the original xbox called Breakdown and Prey really reminded me of that game plot wise, so I didn't hate the twist too much and guessed it right away.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pamela Springstein posted:

Had my first playthrough recently and I got the achievements for all emails/all transcribes/all people found. I liked exploring everywhere and finding people and only had to used the security terminals a few times.

The short ending you get after using the escape pod kinda gave it away for me. Just hearing Alex say "this is not the one" told me enough.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I really like the concept of the ending but the execution is a bit disappointing. Alex and some robots telling you the plot isn't what I would call engaging. But I do think it's pretty unfair for people to say "ugh, it's all a dream, how dumb" when so much of the game is thematically driven by the concept of power and the choices we make with it. The real Morgan was, from all the evidence you collect over the game, a terrible person, so the idea that "you" (in game, an alien intelligence, but really it's you as the player) get to reconcile with that past in an effort to develop empathy while constantly being presented with choices between using your power (and growing it) selfishly or using it to help others... that's a good concept, but it's also very video-game-y, and so I thought it was kind of refreshing for the game to say at the end "you were playing a video game." I also tend to like sci-fi that really tries to tackle the idea that any alien intelligence would just be totally outside of our frame of reference, and I think it's an interesting idea that the only way to save ourselves from that kind of intelligence is to try and figure out how to make it value human life.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Wow, people really keep missing that the ending is about how you, as a player, interact with verisimilar games in general and how differently people handle suspension of disbelief

How are people so bad at this, the entire tutorial section screams the theme of the game at you

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah as "dreams/simulations" twists go, Prey certainly earned it. Especially since there's two twists: not just the "you're a typhon" but the "you're a typhon who might be the only chance to save a post-apocalyptic civilization".

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

HenryEx posted:

Wow, people really keep missing that the ending is about how you, as a player, interact with verisimilar games in general and how differently people handle suspension of disbelief

How are people so bad at this, the entire tutorial section screams the theme of the game at you

Most people don't look at the meta-aspect of gaming as a medium I'd imagine

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There are people who are, like, very proud that they know that tropes exist and get a kick out of pointing them out because using tropes is lazy, right? Except it's not. Everything has tropes and is tropes. Or as I've seen Neil Gaiman put it recently:

quote:

I kind of wish that the whole “TV tropes” thing had never happened, to be honest. ... There aren’t a lot of story shapes. In a love story, people get to meet. Either they meet dramatically or they meet in a way that is interesting by being undramatic. Either they fall for each other or they don’t, or one falls but the other doesn’t. Something had better prevent them from getting together, whether it’s pride or a guard with a gun, because otherwise you don’t have a plot, unless they get together and then something goes wrong… and on and on. Everything is going to be some kind of trope, and none of that actually matters. What matters is the story. Pretend you’ve never heard of tropes.

The reason why the trope "it was all a dream!" has a bad reputation is because it's the ending creators reach for when they've been winging the story for a long time and then just don't know how to end it and, if done wrong, it just undermines and makes pointless everything that happened in the story up to that point. And Prey was clearly written with the ending in mind from the start and what you do in the game does actually matter in end.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The latest attempt to beat the corpse of Predator is called Prey because it was decided there wasn't enough confusion

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

The latest attempt to beat the corpse of Predator is called Prey because it was decided there wasn't enough confusion

Will that make it a System Shock film? :haw:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I honestly don't know where to put this since I revived this thread to talk about how Prey reawakened my 10 year dormant gaming thing. Anyway I finally got ps3 Skyrim a few weeks ago after a lot of back and forth because I loving hate Oblivion because it is so so boring and sleepy.

And I really like it, I put off trying Skyrim because I hated oblivion so much, but I saw it going for 6 quid for ps3 so what the hell. Skyrim is great, its way better that oblivion.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Pookah posted:

I honestly don't know where to put this since I revived this thread to talk about how Prey reawakened my 10 year dormant gaming thing. Anyway I finally got ps3 Skyrim a few weeks ago after a lot of back and forth because I loving hate Oblivion because it is so so boring and sleepy.

And I really like it, I put off trying Skyrim because I hated oblivion so much, but I saw it going for 6 quid for ps3 so what the hell. Skyrim is great, its way better that oblivion.

Holy poo poo, playing Skyrim on a PS3 is a pain but if you're having a good time... what the hell, keep going. (I love Skyrim)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Guillermus posted:

Holy poo poo, playing Skyrim on a PS3 is a pain but if you're having a good time... what the hell, keep going. (I love Skyrim)

I googled it about a day after getting it and was expecting it to be complete dogshit, but apparently they fixed the 6mb + save issue about 2 months after release, so the ps3 version is basically fine. My save is way over that and everything is OK. My horse wants to fight everything but hey, he's grumpy.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Prey is free on Epic for the next day, if you've been waiting: it's finally your moment!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mooncrash is included too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

repiv posted:

Mooncrash is included too

Mooncrash rules too

Wait does the epic version not have the Steam controller fuckery?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

GlyphGryph posted:

The Nightmare is supposed to be there as a fun enemy to fight, not something to just hide from (unless you like hiding I suppose)! Also a good source of materials for more neuromods. There's a reason the satellite can be used to call it as well as dismiss it, and the second use case is mostly for a "I really don't want to deal with this right now, I'm busy" sort of situation. I was always excited when he showed up to get a chance to try out whatever my newest powers were or to figure out the best way to fight him in a new location.

First time I ran into it I thought the game was bugged because I could no longer stealth and I was getting found by enemies I should have been able to slip by. I ended up restarting the area a few times try to "unbug" the enemies. Then eventually I gave up and just blasted everyone and then saw the thing, which had been blocked from my location because of geometry.

Then I looked it up to see what was going on. And then I stopped using stealth entirely and just shotgunned everyone to death because that thing can just spawn on me whenever so who gives a gently caress. The next few times I just booked it and hid to get rid of it. Then after that I had enough power to just slow time and blast it to death. At no time did it ever feel compelling, it just undermined a lot of the rest of the game for me. The fact that Deathloop had an AI player hunter in the same vein is largely why I didn't bother picking it up.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Phigs posted:

The fact that Deathloop had an AI player hunter in the same vein is largely why I didn't bother picking it up.

It isn't an AI player hunter in Deathloop. She also isn't a giant boring stack of hp.

Which isn't to say you should get Deathloop, I thought it was pretty mediocre.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah it's weird, Mooncrash seems like they were testing out Deathloops ideas but was so much better honestly. It's like they backed off from the ideas that made it work so well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The creative director for Death Loop literally avoided playing Mooncrash until release. Which is insane.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

KillHour posted:

The creative director for Death Loop literally avoided playing Mooncrash until release. Which is insane.

Creative directors hate finding out their ideas have already been done elsewhere, and usually with more thought put into them :v:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh geez that's nuts, I always assumed that DeathLoop was a direct sequel to Mooncrash, and was puzzled at why it fell so flat.

Christ, the hubris to do the latest project in a company known for "this one thing", but not be familiar with their last (successful!) iterative release on the topic.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Well that's bad news. I just bought Deathloop on Steam during the winter sale but haven't played it yet. At least it was half price.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s a good game in its own right, but to hear that is baffling. I kind of thought iterative improvement was the point.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Then where did the creative director for prey mooncrash run off to ?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
arkane is two separate studios working together in lyon, france and austin, texas. Dishonored 1 was developed by both location at the same time. After that they changed it up: Prey and Mooncrash came from texas under the lead of raphael colantonio (who previously resided in Lyon), Dishonored 2 under the lead of Harvey Smith (who previously resided in Austin). They kept on going with this model afterwards, with Deathloop being developed in Lyon, and Redfall in Austin.

The creative director on Mooncrash went on to work on Redfall, not Deathloop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The director of Prey (base campaign) also left to form a new studio which is making Weird West

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

repiv posted:

The director of Prey (base campaign) also left to form a new studio which is making Weird West
I'd forgotten about that game! Need to check up in when it releases.

E: march31, 2022. Got delayed not to long ago.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I was really hoping for more Mooncrash in Deathloop. I still like DL because it's generally fun and has a neat style, but it does not scratch the same itch that MC did.

Mooncrash is really just too good to be a DLC.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Mooncrash definitely has a lot of rough edges, such as the infinitely craftable loop delay item, and the player power scaling.

Deathloop makes a few too many compromises for its 1v1 mode, such as the braindead AI, but it's much more polished.

I absolutely respect the attempt to create a multi-player immersive sim, even if the result falls short.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

there was actually a recent patch in Deathloop that made the AI enemies way more responsive and difficult overall, which may have fixed that complaint.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I enjoyed the hell out of Deathloop - it’s more of a dishonored that takes away the non lethal options than it is Mooncrash /Prey though.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Deathloop's great, it's just probably Arkane's weakest game. Which still leaves most other studios in the dust.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bounced off deathloop pretty hard tbh. I wanted to like it and it definitely has a lot going for it but the environment feels really shallow.

Redfall looks interesting. Oh. It's co-op. Nevermind. :(

We're never getting another Prey again are we?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

We're never getting another Prey again are we?

in 10 years from now, but it will be an midbudget attempt to the 2006 Prey simply called Prey 2. Published by Focus Home Entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It will be a spiritual sequel to Alpha Protocol.