Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The pylons and NPC villages finally pushed my over into making cool little houses and towns and it was surprisingly fun. Especially with Journey mode so I still had to explore to find the kind of block I wanted but could make anything once I'd found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I still have the Spawn Apartment Tower over the bulk storage and crafting ground floor but I build like a cactus house and poo poo for the desert biome, etc. I'm not great at it but it's a lot more than I ever did before.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

One day, years from now, TModLoader will be out for 1.4, and a few years after that, we might even get Calamity for 1.4. So never give up hope!

We will have Terraria 1.5 before Tmodloader is ready for 1.4

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
We will have Terraria 2 before I get to play Calamity on 1.4.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Anybody know what's taking so long with tmodloader anyway?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
My girlfriend and I finally beat the Moon Lord. She swung away with the Terra Blade and eventually died, and I ran away long enough for her to respawn. Now we've perfected the process and have full sets of Solar and Stardust armor and wings. She also got a Zenith.

Next up: Drill Containment Units!

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zereth posted:

Anybody know what's taking so long with tmodloader anyway?

They are rebuilding the game from scratch and like to argue about nit-picky things a lot. They have a developers channel on Discord that I occasionally visit so I can see what they are currently wasting time on.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

One day, years from now, TModLoader will be out for 1.4, and a few years after that, we might even get Calamity for 1.4. So never give up hope!

Calamity looks pretty great as is but it is a bummer losing out on all the fun little things like wind and animated trees.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

bij posted:

Calamity looks pretty great as is but it is a bummer losing out on all the fun little things like wind and animated trees.
Also doors that open when you walk into them.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vib Rib posted:

That actually got backported as a mod almost instantly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh, cool. There are plenty of other quality of life aspects of 1.4 that it feels hard to go without, I just figured that was the most obvious example.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vib Rib posted:

This makes 1.3.5 completely unplayable

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

what happened to frisk's sprite there

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

ThaumPenguin posted:

what happened to frisk's sprite there

If think they're wearing a helmet from terraria.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

https://twitter.com/Terraria_Logic/status/1459271071996260357

4 days to 1.4.3

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I hate Don't Starve so I wonder if I can just stay with the old 1.4? Is there any way in Steam to stop it from updating?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1.4.3 is deleting terraria off steam, you'll have to get it on 3ds or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

All existing terraria content will be deleted off your hard drive by the update and the only things left in the game will be the don’t starve content and you will be forced at gunpoint to play it

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Mayveena posted:

I hate Don't Starve so I wonder if I can just stay with the old 1.4? Is there any way in Steam to stop it from updating?

Short of toggling it to only update when you launch the game so it doesn't auto-update, and then only ever running Terraria while steam is in offline mode(and thus losing multiplayer), no.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do we know what the crossover content is going to be? It might just be like the tower defence mini game, ie completely skippable.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

They showed a teaser of one of the Don't Starve bosses, Deerclops, in Terraria(and a similar teaser of Eye of Cthulhu in Don't Starve), so I imagine it'll be a boss with associated drops and maybe a couple enemies tops.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

So do we know why terraria is getting another update? Like, I'm ecstatic that one of the best games ever made is still updating but they swore up and down no more updates. Did the dev team ever comment on that?

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Peachfart posted:

So do we know why terraria is getting another update? Like, I'm ecstatic that one of the best games ever made is still updating but they swore up and down no more updates. Did the dev team ever comment on that?

Because they can quit at any time and this will be the very final last update.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Peachfart posted:

Terraria has had "this is the last update ever, we mean it this time" happen like 3 times.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
I hope they add the Don’t Starve chest that follows you around to Terraria provided it does leap into lava and die

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Kanos posted:

Terraria has had "this is the last update ever, we mean it this time" happen like 3 times.

The 'penultimate' update mix-up turned out to be prescient. Not that I will ever complain.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Peachfart posted:

RED: "ah, millions $$$. time for a freshing drink."

WHOEVER MADE DON'T STARVE: [communications] "hi we're still making content would you like to do a colab like you did with that defender game"

RED: "I have sold 35 million copies of my game with FF5 sprites."

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

put the solar eclipse into don't starve, cowards

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I never realized ‘The Final Update’ stuff was a running joke. I mean, 1.4 was an outstanding capstone for their game if they end it there. But I’m excited to see more collabs or even patches.

I honestly think the only thing I’d want now is for there to be some sort of absolutely incredibly enormous world map. Like a large world but 3-4 times the width, or even more. Give me a reason to run for absolutely ever in one direction and set up those pylon bases at far reaching map areas. As it is, all the various biomes feel almost crowded.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

There was a mod for that, it could go to 16,000x8000, but trying to gen that map would almost always run out of memory on my machine, so I made 4000x4000 and some 4000x8000 superworlds instead.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The 64bit TML experimental could run some truly huge maps but it eats ram like candy.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Saxophone posted:

I never realized ‘The Final Update’ stuff was a running joke. I mean, 1.4 was an outstanding capstone for their game if they end it there. But I’m excited to see more collabs or even patches.

I honestly think the only thing I’d want now is for there to be some sort of absolutely incredibly enormous world map. Like a large world but 3-4 times the width, or even more. Give me a reason to run for absolutely ever in one direction and set up those pylon bases at far reaching map areas. As it is, all the various biomes feel almost crowded.

They could have made the capstone any number of years ago, and it would still have been one of my favourite games of all time.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Feliday Melody posted:

They could have made the capstone any number of years ago, and it would still have been one of my favourite games of all time.

100% agreed. I do wish they’d do expansions or something? I don’t even know

Basically I own it on any platform I’m able to just as an excuse to have given them more money. Same for Stardew.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Rynoto posted:

The 64bit TML experimental could run some truly huge maps but it eats ram like candy.

The TModLoader for 1.4(assuming it ever comes out) should be officially 64 bit and less of a hacked patch. So that should open up some interesting possibilities.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The devs did a lot of posting about how they were waffling over post-Moon Lord content in the 1.4 development updates. The Moon Lord doesn't feel particularly special outside of the fancy effects surrounding him and there's not much to do once you've killed him a few times. Disintegrating everything with Zenith and Terraprisma just makes me wish there was something bigger to stomp. Maybe throw in an endgame armor that requires a ton of stuff Calamity style and some new hard to mine and super rare ore.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A genuine superboss would be a great addition. Or even super versions of every current boss, allowing for more developed takes on their old mechanics. Which is funny to think about actually, since that was the mechanical bosses originally.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That's honestly why Calamity is so wildly impressive - it literally does add super versions of each boss(Revengeance/Death Mode) and adds so much content that Moon Lord is effectively like the 60% marker of a playthrough instead of the end.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I wonder how the devs feel about the incredibly robust modding community Terraria ended up getting. I somehow doubt they ever expected stuff like Calamity to be made using their game as a base, let alone that absolutely insane in dev one, Starlight River.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021