Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Some weird historical revisionism going on in this thread, Dark Souls 1 defintiely had its own elemental/magic nerfs, and Elden Ring is probably gonna get its own balance patches. Just learn to live with it.

Anyway, first three hours of the Network Test were an absolute blast. Nothing Elden Ring is doing is incredibly innovative, but it all comes together very, very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Qmass posted:

poo poo! now I want to play more elden ring. I have been cursed.

Be safe, friend. Don't you dare go hollow...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Kinda like having predetermined three-hour chunks of gaming laid out for me.

I'll get you tomorrow Margit!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Some weird historical revisionism going on in this thread, Dark Souls 1 defintiely had its own elemental/magic nerfs, and Elden Ring is probably gonna get its own balance patches. Just learn to live with it.

Anyway, first three hours of the Network Test were an absolute blast. Nothing Elden Ring is doing is incredibly innovative, but it all comes together very, very well.

Yeah the first month of dark souls 1 was insane with how much damage Pyro and lightning blasts would do.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Magic builds are real strong and fun in ds3 too

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
How mouse and keyboard friendly is this? I could never play ds3 with mouse and keyboard but I coulda kinda play sekiro with mouse and keyboard

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm a PC guy but I play all these games with a controller. Gotta be rough going KBM.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

vandalism posted:

How mouse and keyboard friendly is this? I could never play ds3 with mouse and keyboard but I coulda kinda play sekiro with mouse and keyboard

Buy a XBox controller for your PC. You're setting yourself back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

When you pause the game, there are some shortcuts in the upper right where you can place quick use items, and summons act like an item. You can then hold triangle and press one of the dpad directions during gameplay to use those shortcuts.

Thank you!!!!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I kinda feel like finally playing DS2 to fill the gap until ER is released to all.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This makes me really want to play a pure magic build Demon Souls run on PS5. I’ve never done that, and imagine in early game it makes it very hard but my mid-late game it’s broken? Any tips?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Start with Royalty class which comes with a magic regen ring and watch enemies melt. It's insanely broken in DeS. :lol:

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I use a ps4 controller for dark souls 3. I was just 80% able to play sekiro with mouse/keyboard vs. 30% able on dark souls.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Magic builds are real strong and fun in ds3 too

The issue I have with magic builds in DS3 is that it basically makes you use every single part of your build to get good damage out of spells. You need to have multiple ring slots and multiple weapon slots all devoted just to increasing your spell damage to get good damage with spells, and it really screws up any flexibility you might have. It's a lot less fun, for me at least, to just know I have to stack damage bonuses for my build with every slot available to me.

Blind Rasputin posted:

This makes me really want to play a pure magic build Demon Souls run on PS5. I’ve never done that, and imagine in early game it makes it very hard but my mid-late game it’s broken? Any tips?

It's easy from the very start.

Don't start with Magician, start with Royalty. You get a ring that regenerates MP and the Soul Arrow spell and you can pretty much just magic your way through the game with little issue from there. You can also go to 4-1 as soon as you can and grab the Crescent Falchion for a magic-scaling melee weapon that also regenerates MP.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Magic is simple but great in DeS, even the utility spells are often pretty fun and useful and there's strong pressure tools for PvP.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!
The art in general, and the subtle glow around characters, enemies , and NPCs in particular, especially the sheep, reminds me a lot of the Ghent Alterpiece.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghent_Altarpiece

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

ymgve posted:

When you pause the game, there are some shortcuts in the upper right where you can place quick use items, and summons act like an item. You can then hold triangle and press one of the dpad directions during gameplay to use those shortcuts.

Pause the game? What sorcery is this?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blind Rasputin posted:

Royalty is the easy mode start. It’s broken from the first but you do kind of need to look up what to do if you want it to stay that way. It’s totally possible to miss some of the strongest magic stuff (custard tornado, fire storm, etc)

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

This previous game magic chat is insane to me lol. Magic has always been powerful as gently caress because you can use it from way outside 90 percent of enemy ranges, even bosses usually. And once you power up it mostly 1-3 shots enemies even big scary ones. I'm struggling to think of a DS 3 enemy that fights well at range besides the crazy fire priests in icy ghost city. And I guess DLC guys

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

skasion posted:

Royalty is the easy mode start. It’s broken from the first but you do kind of need to look up what to do if you want it to stay that way. It’s totally possible to miss some of the strongest magic stuff (custard tornado, fire storm, etc)

The PS5 version buffed magic by letting you hide your headgear so you can be a strong mage and also see where you're going

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Glimpse posted:

Pause the game? What sorcery is this?

It’s not like Sekiro it doesn’t actually pause the game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Escobarbarian posted:

phew

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
not being able to pause dark souls games is the only thing keeping me from playing them all day when I'm supposed to be working so I'm glad I can't pause elden ring.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

drat, this game looks sick as hell. I should probably play Dark Souls, huh?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Yeah. They are the best games ever made probably.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Absolutely, for multiple reasons. The atmosphere of Souls games, the way they present their worlds and the mood they evoke alone is worth it. But also, they're just masterfully crafted mechanical things worth playing if only for getting a clinic on good game design. Also, Dark Souls 1 in my opinion has arguably the most interesting, most intricately designed game world ever made, it's just a marvel of design and engineering. There are so many unique areas that make up the game's world but they all fit together like puzzle pieces, and you don't even realize it until you're a good way through the game.

Can't recommend the Souls games enough.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 12, 2021

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Heck yes, I just replayed it earlier this year and it holds up. Overall best world design in the series. But it took some getting used to after playing BB and DS3, it's comparatively slow and clunky. Looks like Elden Ring will only add to that feeling, so I'd recommended trying it now. Good way to kill time and not die of hype poisoning. That's how I'm using DS3 right now lol.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Dark Souls 1 is the only modern From game that gives you the experience of being lost deep into the world and wondering whether you'll be able to find your way back, and I do hope they try to recapture it with a future title even if the gameplay is completely different.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Dark Souls 1 is the only modern From game that gives you the experience of being lost deep into the world and wondering whether you'll be able to find your way back, and I do hope they try to recapture it with a future title even if the gameplay is completely different.

I remember when I started playing DS1 and was "scared" because all the talk of difficulty. I immediately fell in love, spent days lost, found a shortcut, started understanding how it was connected, then had a dream where I walked through the whole map understanding the shortcuts, paths, etc. I've still never played something as much as that but I think Elden Ring is going to be that game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I meant opening the menus. This game is a pause free zone.

(you can also put summons and your horse in the usable items like your flasks, but personally I reserve that for consumables)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Yeah that was far and away one of the best experiences with DS1. I remember the first time I found the shortcut from Parish to Firelink, I'd been pushing deeper and deeper into the Burg, and with every meter further from Firelink I felt more exposed and constantly in danger, and when I found the elevator at first I was extremely suspicious. I took it reluctantly, positive that I'd get off the elevator and be rushed by monsters or find a boss fight, but instead I stepped out into Firelink and IRL I was like "OH poo poo I know where this is!" It was simultaneously a huge relief because I'd managed to find my way back to safety, AND unlocked a shortcut that would help me push even further. There wasn't anything like it again (except for that one breakable wall in DS2's Cardinal Tower)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah that was far and away one of the best experiences with DS1. I remember the first time I found the shortcut from Parish to Firelink, I'd been pushing deeper and deeper into the Burg, and with every meter further from Firelink I felt more exposed and constantly in danger, and when I found the elevator at first I was extremely suspicious. I took it reluctantly, positive that I'd get off the elevator and be rushed by monsters or find a boss fight, but instead I stepped out into Firelink and IRL I was like "OH poo poo I know where this is!" It was simultaneously a huge relief because I'd managed to find my way back to safety, AND unlocked a shortcut that would help me push even further. There wasn't anything like it again (except for that one breakable wall in DS2's Cardinal Tower)

Finding the ladder shortcut back down to the Burg bonfire gave me a similar feeling. It wasn't as revolutionary as the Parish to Firelink shortcut but I did get a kick out of realizing "oh these places are connected like this?" and had a kind of mind blown moment.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Agreed, and I hope the dungeons in Elden Ring have the same feeling. I adored Sekiro but the "shortcuts" you unlock were all so laughable, and many had warp points just seconds away. I never got the sense of relief from find a cool loop back to safety.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

from what I've seen dungeons just give you a warp back to the entrance when you complete them

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

from what I've seen dungeons just give you a warp back to the entrance when you complete them

Thank god.

I don't care if dungeons are cleverly designed one-way loops, linear dungeons with separate entrances and exits, or whether they just straight up let you warp back to the start as long as it's something. Nothing will kill the sense of adventure and momentum like having to backtrack your way through an empty dungeon you've just cleared.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 12, 2021

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
On his stream of the network test LanceMcdonald said that if you look at the church(the one the Tree sentinel can break) from far away with the telescope you’ll see “cut content”/“something you’re not meant to see”? Anyone know what he could be talking about?

EDIT: I think it’s probably this, pretty bizarre. Guessing something changes the world at one point in the story

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 13, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

anyone that went faith did you have trouble with the beast claw spell missing if an enemy was too close ?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

anyone else remember when iron flesh had no movement penalty lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

RatHat posted:

On his stream of the network test LanceMcdonald said that if you look at the church(the one the Tree sentinel can break) from far away with the telescope you’ll see “cut content”/“something you’re not meant to see”? Anyone know what he could be talking about?

EDIT: I think it’s probably this, pretty bizarre. Guessing something changes the world at one point in the story

Not surprising, From had changes to the game world as the story progressed in their past three titles (bloodborne, dark souls 3, and sekiro though it was just a skybox change in ds3). An open world game allows them to go even harder on that idea.