Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Some old cartoon where two cartoon animals take gigantism potions over and over to outgrow the other and they both end up in growing into outer space because they're so big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

LLCoolJD posted:

Some old cartoon where two cartoon animals take gigantism potions over and over to outgrow the other and they both end up in growing into outer space because they're so big.

That’s Tex Avery’s “King Size Canary”.

E: I’m still looking for these:

quote:

1) This one is a song that I heard once ever on Nick Rocks (early 80’s music compilation show on Nickelodeon) and appears to either be lost forever or impossible to find. It sounded a little bit similar to “Right on Track” but the lyrics I can remember were, “I’ll be your flying cowboy / I’ll carry you away!” So far I’ve had no luck at all finding it because it turns out there are a lot of country songs about flying cowboys and my lost song is definitely none of them.

2) I could probably fill the rest of this post with Weird poo poo From The EARLY Early Days Of Nickelodeon, but I’ll end with this one for now. It was an animated short that was maybe ten minutes long about two kids who want to take their dog along on a school trip. Somehow their dog turns into a human (I think they made a wish?) and can go along - except he still acts like a dog and hilarity ensues until he changes back. The thing is, this short had a long opening credits sequence, in another language, that suggested it might be one episode of a whole series?

Plus some more weird animated shorts I think I saw on Nick back in the 80’s

3) The youngest child in a family doesn’t have much self confidence and (and this is why this short freaked me out as a child) she paces back and forth saying, “I can’t” while shrinking smaller and smaller. At some point she rides around on a butterfly who gives her a pep talk. The whole short is haunting and dreamlike in that specifically 70’s animation way.

4) Paper cut-out animation (I think) about a girl who gathers her friends together to stop a forest from being cut down. The part I remember most clearly is when the girl and her friends fly to some place on tree branches.

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 12, 2021

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I’m looking for two things:

The first is a cartoon about a wizard fight where there are two rules: no invisibility and no dragons. One of the magicians turns into a dragon, the other disappears and when the first complains about the rule breaking, the second claims they’ve turned into a virus and the dragon breaks out into spots.

The second is a child’s program about someone who is contracted to basically write random words down, and has done this for quite some time, but at some point the heavy says the words are no good and cannot articulate why. I think there may have been roadworks outside the writers house making it harder to write.

Both are probably late 80s / early 90s on Uk tv.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tight aspirations posted:

I’m looking for two things:

The first is a cartoon about a wizard fight where there are two rules: no invisibility and no dragons. One of the magicians turns into a dragon, the other disappears and when the first complains about the rule breaking, the second claims they’ve turned into a virus and the dragon breaks out into spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKVSPcd8Gs

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Perfect, thanks!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

This is my favorite Disney scene left since you cannot find Song of the South’s “Tar Baby” scene in the world anymore. I’m kinda shocked this scene isn’t decried as misogynistic (a woman called a witch!?! Zounds!) somewhere. I remember cheering for Merlin in the theater and being shushed by my older brother afterwards 😡.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

im trying to find a video some dude made about fyad circa 2004

it starts out by saying something like "something awful has two main forums to post in, i chose the one covered in poo poo" and then it goes off the rails in a very fyad manner

does anyone know what the gently caress im talking about

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DerekSmartymans posted:

This is my favorite Disney scene left since you cannot find Song of the South’s “Tar Baby” scene in the world anymore.

Wouldn't be so sure of that.

v=-gnZUK6e9Fk
v=qpGL-mj-LEk
v=7Z2kI-Z1O10

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

When I was a kid I had an awesome illustrated book about the history and physics of flight, but a lot of the technical details and principles described went way over my 8-year-old head. The cover depicted the airflow over an F-16 with colored lines, but I don't remember the title or the author. It ended with a play-by-play diagram of a hypothetical BVR dogfight, almost like the tac view thing from DCS World. I'd love to have that book again.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

I remember in the early-mid 2000's my mom read a book that she liked a lot and I've never been able to find it, the cover is mostly blue and has an image of a teacup. (or coffee mug, not sure) The plot's about a guy dating a woman named Cecilia (Celia?) when a girl shows up out of nowhere claiming to be his daughter.

Any help with this would make my day, I've been looking for this drat book for like a decade

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
There were these sneakers in the early 90s that had some kind of celebrity crossover and, like, some kind of secret compartment for storing beef jerky or something

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

HolHorsejob posted:

There were these sneakers in the early 90s that had some kind of celebrity crossover and, like, some kind of secret compartment for storing beef jerky or something

The Bushwhackers' balogna boots. There were a few cheap imitations that came out shortly afterwards too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Yond Cassius posted:

Wouldn't be so sure of that.

Thank you for that! A trip down memory lane I honestly and completely thought was erased from history.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
My godmother had this book of sci-fi short stories in her house, and I've been trying to find it for years. She doesn't remember it, and nobody I've described it to has recognised it, and I'm starting to think my brain just totally made it up.

I remember the cover had a dude fighting a sorta mosquito-bear creature on it, it was drawn like one of those old 50s men's magazines where the dude is fighting weasels or whatever.

There was a story in it called "The Happy Pills" that was ... I have no idea whether this came out before or after They Live but it looked older than it, and the story was basically just They Live except instead of sunglasses, my guy got some wild-rear end antidepressants that let him See True Reality, and to avoid the monster infiltrators he kept taking more and more pills until his heart loving exploded.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

HolHorsejob posted:

ponzicar posted:

The Bushwhackers' balogna boots. There were a few cheap imitations that came out shortly afterwards too.

I wanted a pair so bad. My mom would never buy them for me though. She said if I got those, I'd just start asking for bologna next.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Whats this little car thing

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Google reverse image search tells me it's a Brütsch Mopetta.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Milo and POTUS posted:

A good fuckin' time

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

My godmother had this book of sci-fi short stories in her house, and I've been trying to find it for years. She doesn't remember it, and nobody I've described it to has recognised it, and I'm starting to think my brain just totally made it up.

I remember the cover had a dude fighting a sorta mosquito-bear creature on it, it was drawn like one of those old 50s men's magazines where the dude is fighting weasels or whatever.

There was a story in it called "The Happy Pills" that was ... I have no idea whether this came out before or after They Live but it looked older than it, and the story was basically just They Live except instead of sunglasses, my guy got some wild-rear end antidepressants that let him See True Reality, and to avoid the monster infiltrators he kept taking more and more pills until his heart loving exploded.

Are you sure of the title? It's not in the ISFDb.

Also there's another thread you can try that's specifically for finding books and stories: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Easy-Bake Coven posted:

Google reverse image search tells me it's a Brütsch Mopetta.

How come yours got that and all mine got was a bunch of god drat pinterest poo poo

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A 1980s (maybe very early 90s but almost certainly 80s) TV show that was a colonial family in North America called the "The Sullivans" or something along those lines. It was shown on the ABC in Australia.

E: It was the Campbells!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxSSX_iMUEU

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 14, 2021

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Funky See Funky Do posted:

A 1980s (maybe very early 90s but almost certainly 80s) TV show that was a colonial family in North America called the "The Sullivans" or something along those lines. It was shown on the ABC in Australia.

E: It was the Campbells!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxSSX_iMUEU

I was about to say that The Sullivans was set during WW2, and even Camberwell was a bit more advanced than colonial America during that period.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
ok but seriously, I watched a trailer on steam for this one game that I think was vaguely tower-defense kinda thing? You are a horrific no-mouth-must-scream type AI machine monstrosity bent on enslaving and destroying humanity, and you kidnap people to run your machinery. Aliens try to steal humans from you, and you somehow try to prevent this? It's a really grim game. Anyone know what it's called?

Sonic the Hedge
Jan 29, 2014
Very long shot but my husband is looking for radio audio recordings of the Edmund Fitzgerald on the night it sank. He's heard the one of the Arthur M. Anderson contacting the coast guard, but nothing directly from the Fitzgerald. I know that poo poo exists online because he's seen it before.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

This:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?299423

is from 1980, has a guy fighting a giant mosquito, and contains the story "Happy Pill"?

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thank you for that! A trip down memory lane I honestly and completely thought was erased from history.

Most things are not purposefully erased quite like that. But looky here: https://archive.org/details/SongOfTheSouthHD
Apart from some color registration issues, it looks really good. The animated stories are the best parts. The live action segments, regardless of political interpretation, are mostly a bit of a drag, but a full viewing is still an OK time.

For what it's worth, I noticed (in the Rite Aid bargain bin, i.e., it's available cheap) that there's a star-studded 2006 cartoon adaptation of the Brer Rabbit stories, and it looks like an all-black production: The Adventures of Brer Rabbit https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493201/reference (I don't know if it has the tar baby story. One assumes it would, but assumptions are a dangerous thing.)

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

How come yours got that and all mine got was a bunch of god drat pinterest poo poo

The level 10 Librarian class skill Hmm, Let's Have A Look At It causes electronic objects such as search engines and printers to work as intended when operated by, or within the cone of vision of, the casting librarian. As for how it works, :iiam:

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

thepopmonster posted:

I was about to say that The Sullivans was set during WW2, and even Camberwell was a bit more advanced than colonial America during that period.

The Sullivans was set during WWII, but it had an abrupt ending.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

DerekSmartymans posted:

the animation is gorgeous, but holy poo poo, everything else. I know they'd rather bury it, and that's just as well, but I wonder if they could salvage parts by rescripting it and using new actors. the maid character in Tom & Jerry was revoiced in the 90s and it's seamless. I'd never have known it used to be a racist caricature if I hadn't spent so many hours watching those cartoons when I was a kid.

on the other hand, there's no integral visual stuff in T&J (by which I mean they either cut the racist visual gags or that the remaining gags are so far removed from our time that they don't read as racist anymore.)

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Resident Idiot posted:

This:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?299423

is from 1980, has a guy fighting a giant mosquito, and contains the story "Happy Pill"?
Holy poo poo yes, this is it, I thought I'd imagined it for a solid 20 years.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Harvey TWH posted:

Most things are not purposefully erased quite like that. But looky here: https://archive.org/details/SongOfTheSouthHD
Apart from some color registration issues, it looks really good. The animated stories are the best parts. The live action segments, regardless of political interpretation, are mostly a bit of a drag, but a full viewing is still an OK time.

For what it's worth, I noticed (in the Rite Aid bargain bin, i.e., it's available cheap) that there's a star-studded 2006 cartoon adaptation of the Brer Rabbit stories, and it looks like an all-black production: The Adventures of Brer Rabbit https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493201/reference (I don't know if it has the tar baby story. One assumes it would, but assumptions are a dangerous thing.)

Thank you so much! I’m not blind to how this may make a specific group feel, but I can’t remember if my toddler-brain was completely racist then or if I just wished my Uncle Richard told stories as well as Uncle Remus. My first half-ogre character in AD&D as a teenager was Bree Bear down to the board-with-one-nail for a weapon.

I was waaaay more understanding of racism charges against JarJar because Brer Rabbit was heroic and spoke no differently to my ears than two boys I grew up with in class.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Anybody have any of Colugo's albums in FLAC? I swear to god at least Hello Yellow Fellow and Dance Party had lossless versions, but I must have got rid of them sometime in the last 10+ years and apparently he doesn't even remember if they existed or not.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WEH posted:

Anybody have any of Colugo's albums in FLAC? I swear to god at least Hello Yellow Fellow and Dance Party had lossless versions, but I must have got rid of them sometime in the last 10+ years and apparently he doesn't even remember if they existed or not.

Soulseek has them

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So about, I wanna say 15 years ago, there was an MMO due to come out. It was medieval fantasy setting, had full player collision (which it made a big deal of if I remember right) and I think it had a base building element to it. It also had wolf men of some variety. It was called Dark something, like Dark Age or Dark Crusade or some poo poo. I don’t believe it ever actually got released and I always wonder what happened cos kid-me was excited as poo poo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jakabite posted:

So about, I wanna say 15 years ago, there was an MMO due to come out. It was medieval fantasy setting, had full player collision (which it made a big deal of if I remember right) and I think it had a base building element to it. It also had wolf men of some variety. It was called Dark something, like Dark Age or Dark Crusade or some poo poo. I don’t believe it ever actually got released and I always wonder what happened cos kid-me was excited as poo poo.

Dark Age of Camelot? It did pretty well for awhile then faded away as all MMOs do.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jakabite posted:

Darkfall? It was suppose to be a fully open PVP and everything player created similar to EVE. It finally stumbled out the door around 2009 and shuttered a short 3 years later

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkfall

quote:

Mahirim (wolf men)

This has gotta be it

George H.W. Cunt fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 15, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

A series of posts about Goons getting up to no good in the MMO Age of Wushu. It was either in the MMO trolling thread or in its own thread, but the posts covered poo poo like Goons taking their characters to a player hub, getting absolutely drunk, and then getting other players drunk by vomiting on them, or baiting a player into killing a low level player, putting a bounty on the killer, and then jailing them so they'd miss some tournament/event.

I've been looking for the posts for a while now but I can't find them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Batterypowered7 posted:

A series of posts about Goons getting up to no good in the MMO Age of Wushu. It was either in the MMO trolling thread or in its own thread, but the posts covered poo poo like Goons taking their characters to a player hub, getting absolutely drunk, and then getting other players drunk by vomiting on them, or baiting a player into killing a low level player, putting a bounty on the killer, and then jailing them so they'd miss some tournament/event.

That thread was so funny and it got killed because someone was griefing it

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Milo and POTUS posted:

That thread was so funny and it got killed because someone was griefing it

Were the posts in the "I Killed British - The Griefing Discussion Thread" or in their own Wushu-related thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think I’ve found these posts in the old griefing thread, are these what you’re thinking of?