Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It's probably just jammed a bit, try turning it the other direction and see if it releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

And remember: You got it in, you can get it out.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

If it's turning there's some kind of gap. Spray some lube around it.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Every time I had a problem like that, a bunch of wiggling around in various directions (not forcefully..) got me out of it. It can take some time.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Weld a 3/8" drive locking extension to a slide hammer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Krakkles posted:

Reading this as I look at a picture of my children.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Me reading every post on this page: "hehe, phrasing."

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

simplefish posted:

If it's turning there's some kind of gap. Spray some lube around it.

So I went out today and got some items to help, one of which is penetrating oil. I just squirted some around the socket and now I wait. I tried using a long pair of needle nose pliers, but they couldn't get enough grip to do anything. The thing is really wedged in there, yet can spin left or right.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Krakkles posted:

[ask] me about getting a non-reversible ratcheting torque wrench stuck in my engine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sagebrush posted:

[ask] me about getting a non-reversible ratcheting torque wrench stuck in my engine.

Or a non reversable ratcheting wrench between the body and frame. And I had heard stories of it already!

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

So, unironically this time, maybe try one of these? Cobble together a mechanism so you can unlock it remotely (string + adhesive heat shrink tube? safety wire?), then shove it in so you can yank out the socket while turning.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Piece of nail on a wire(s) inserted through the top hole and then turned sideways into a T shape inside to yank socket out?

Lock ring spreading pliers or other 90 degree pliers?

Rare earth magnet?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Fill it with water then hit the starter. Be sure to post a video.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
How damaging is it for a car battery to be accidentally drained down to 0.3V in temperatures just above freezing? (not my car, I just gave someone a jump last night and brought out the multimeter out of curiousity)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Invalido posted:

How damaging is it for a car battery to be accidentally drained down to 0.3V in temperatures just above freezing? (not my car, I just gave someone a jump last night and brought out the multimeter out of curiousity)

Definitely shortens its life. Sometimes it's terminal. If it will charge back up and behave itself, it may be good for a while yet, but he should plan on buying a new battery in the near future.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Deteriorata posted:

Definitely shortens its life. Sometimes it's terminal. If it will charge back up and behave itself, it may be good for a while yet, but he should plan on buying a new battery in the near future.

Yeah that's what I figured. Same thing happened to me this spring and I just bought a new battery, figuring the old one wasn't to be trusted anymore. The one I replaced now sits in my brother's low budget track car so it wasn't a total loss.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That low is often terminal. If it's not that old you might be able to coax it back though.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

0.3 per cell is terminal, 0.3 for the whole battery is maybe you measured in volts ac or some other operator error, or it's dead dead

taqueso fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 12, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

taqueso posted:

0.3 per cell is terminal, 0.3 for the whole battery is maybe you measured in volts ac or some other operator error, or it's dead dead

I guess user error isn't unlikely. Dude was late for work so I didn't take my time with it, and it was dark. He says it started fine going home from work FWIW. He's not the kind of person who does preventive maintenance so he'll probably use the battery until it leaves him stranded a couple of times regardless of what I say.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I tried jumping a “dead” dead battery once and nearly fried my own car.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

2014 Nissan Versa Note. Canada.

I need my front wiper blades replaced. It's a set that has a really long one on the driver side and a short one on the passenger side that's less than half the length. Getting the driver side 28-incher is easy but I'm having a bitch of a time finding a suitable one to replace the dinky passenger one.

I've had look up websites report sizes anywhere between 11" and 13". The computer at Canadian Tire says 14" which is definitely way too big. Which is the actual size I need?

I used a tape measure and it appears to be 12" long, but I can't seem to even find front blades smaller than 13".

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mak0rz posted:

I need my front wiper blades replaced. It's a set that has a really long one on the driver side and a short one on the passenger side that's less than half the length. Getting the driver side 28-incher is easy but I'm having a bitch of a time finding a suitable one to replace the dinky passenger one.

I've had look up websites report sizes anywhere between 11" and 13". The computer at Canadian Tire says 14" which is definitely way too big. Which is the actual size I need?

I used a tape measure and it appears to be 12" long, but I can't seem to even find front blades smaller than 13".

Looks like an 11 or 12" blade will work. Rock Auto and the ANCO website has part numbers.

No idea how to find them locally in Canada. My local auto parts store has them in stock :(

https://ancowipers.com/amfinder/?find=automotive-2014-nissan-versa-note-3179091

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

skipdogg posted:

Looks like an 11 or 12" blade will work. Rock Auto and the ANCO website has part numbers.

No idea how to find them locally in Canada. My local auto parts store has them in stock :(

https://ancowipers.com/amfinder/?find=automotive-2014-nissan-versa-note-3179091

I'll have to call around I guess. Thanks.

I assume no because Reasons but would a 12" rear blade work? I can get lots of those, but if I remember right from when I last changed the rear one they attach to the arm differently.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Mak0rz posted:

I'll have to call around I guess. Thanks.

I assume no because Reasons but would a 12" rear blade work? I can get lots of those, but if I remember right from when I last changed the rear one they attach to the arm differently.

I would imagine a Nissan dealer parts department would have them in stock. They might cost a few bucks more than a parts store but they should have them.

manboy
Jun 6, 2002
Hey folks, long time no see on these here forums. Pretty sure that close to two decades ago I was infrequently posting here about maintaining an SW20 MR2 and a 5 speed volvo 240 I got for about $200.

Anyway, having developed the need to drive down a snowmobile trail in the mountains on a regular basis, I recently got a Tundra from the mid-aughts and have loads of dumb questions. Finding a good online community for that kind of stuff has been... painful, so I'm glad I remembered that this place exists. Is there a good thread for 4x4 / trux chat? Should I just post my dumb questions here?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Honestly I think if you just go into a Canadian tire and use the in-store computer touchscreen thing they have in that aisle, it'll give you the right product.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

manboy posted:

Hey folks, long time no see on these here forums. Pretty sure that close to two decades ago I was infrequently posting here about maintaining an SW20 MR2 and a 5 speed volvo 240 I got for about $200.

Anyway, having developed the need to drive down a snowmobile trail in the mountains on a regular basis, I recently got a Tundra from the mid-aughts and have loads of dumb questions. Finding a good online community for that kind of stuff has been... painful, so I'm glad I remembered that this place exists. Is there a good thread for 4x4 / trux chat? Should I just post my dumb questions here?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755109 and https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893547 are both good threads for this. Welcome back!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly I think if you just go into a Canadian tire and use the in-store computer touchscreen thing they have in that aisle, it'll give you the right product.

It didn't. It produced a 14" blade (too big) that they didn't even have in stock anyway

I went to the dealership and got a pair. It was only a few bucks more than the cheapo CT blades anyway. All good!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I don't know if this is quite the right thread for this, but I'm trying to identify a car. I've driven by it a number of times now, but the road is too busy/without a shoulder to pull over and take a photo. I can't make out anything that looks like a name. It's very small, for one person or maybe two in a tight setup. I think it's probably from the 70s, going by the design and the particular shade of orange it's painted. It's wedge-shaped, and fairly flat out back, though I don't think completely flat. Pretty sure it has four wheels, so not some wacky three wheeled car. Large windshield, can't really remember if it has doors on the side or if it's a situation where the front of the car is also the door. Like I said, I can never make out anything like a brand name or recognize whatever ornament it has on the front, but I recall seeing some numbers on the side of it, set up like '40/30', though I can't remember the actual numbers, just pretty sure about the slash dividing them. Hopefully this isn't too vague and someone with knowledge of weird little cars from around the 70s has a thought.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Detective Thompson posted:

I don't know if this is quite the right thread for this, but I'm trying to identify a car. I've driven by it a number of times now, but the road is too busy/without a shoulder to pull over and take a photo. I can't make out anything that looks like a name. It's very small, for one person or maybe two in a tight setup. I think it's probably from the 70s, going by the design and the particular shade of orange it's painted. It's wedge-shaped, and fairly flat out back, though I don't think completely flat. Pretty sure it has four wheels, so not some wacky three wheeled car. Large windshield, can't really remember if it has doors on the side or if it's a situation where the front of the car is also the door. Like I said, I can never make out anything like a brand name or recognize whatever ornament it has on the front, but I recall seeing some numbers on the side of it, set up like '40/30', though I can't remember the actual numbers, just pretty sure about the slash dividing them. Hopefully this isn't too vague and someone with knowledge of weird little cars from around the 70s has a thought.

sounds like a sterling kit car.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VelociBacon posted:

I’ve gotten several Rain-X wipers that straight up wouldn’t install on my car and I had to exchange.

And their washer fluid ruined my low fluid sensor, so duck them.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Alright, I cleaned the terminals and checked cables. Did not correct the issue. Car has full power, all that is fine.

Now the car won't even turn over.

For reference:

2016 Honda CRV with 92,000 miles. Started turning over very slowly/not at all. Seemed like a battery issue, but battery is new and multimeter says it, and the alternator, are just fine.

Is there anything else I can do to make certain it's the starter?

Napa has the starter I want and I'd like to go buy it so I can have it replaced tomorrow.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Powershift posted:

sounds like a sterling kit car.

It's even smaller than that thing, but I found it. For whatever reason the term 'microcar' didn't float into my head when I was writing the previous description, which probably would have helped. I went to Wikipedia's page for the Isetta, since I wanted to compare it's size to the car I was trying to identify, but then I noticed Wikipedia had a list of microcars by country, and guessing it's American based on being here in the States, I jumped to the page with American microcars and found it pretty quick. It's one of these little fuckers, apparently an electric car. Not sure what year, of course, but it's definitely an interesting little thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's even smaller than that thing, but I found it. For whatever reason the term 'microcar' didn't float into my head when I was writing the previous description, which probably would have helped. I went to Wikipedia's page for the Isetta, since I wanted to compare it's size to the car I was trying to identify, but then I noticed Wikipedia had a list of microcars by country, and guessing it's American based on being here in the States, I jumped to the page with American microcars and found it pretty quick. It's one of these little fuckers, apparently an electric car. Not sure what year, of course, but it's definitely an interesting little thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citicar

Oh there's a fun review of one of those. It's a piece of poo poo, in brief, but it's wacky to learn about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilIozuRmTQs

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks for the link, it's a fun watch. Definitely not something I think I'd ever want to set foot in, but it's neat to watch someone else drive one.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's probably just jammed a bit, try turning it the other direction and see if it releases.

SUCCESS!

I spent the last two days working on getting this socket off the plug and nothing was working. Today I decided that it was time for one last effort before I brought it into the shop. My father came over and he confirmed that, quote, "This is really hosed up." The socket continued to spin, but it wouldn't come out of the plug hole. No amount of prying, jostling, or begging was making any difference. Out of desperation I did some more digging and I found these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...0#sku=CMMT43355

Dad and I questioned how much holding power they would have, but a quick test in the parking lot of Lowes proved to us that these extensions weren't loving around. Brought them home and...nothing. We had hoped that we could use these to pull the socket out of the hole, but it still wouldn't move vertically. Just as we were giving up hope, dad had one last idea. "When you pull up on the socket, try turning it counter clockwise like you were trying to unscrew it." It sounded like a fine idea to me. So I laid over the engine, positioned myself with the leverage I needed and pulled. Then I turned the socket wrench.

Two quarter turns. Two. And the loving socket popped right off. Easy as could be.

Now I'm debating if it's tempting fate to try and do the plugs with the correct size socket.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thanks for the link, it's a fun watch. Definitely not something I think I'd ever want to set foot in, but it's neat to watch someone else drive one.

If you liked that one, check out his other one about this ugly thing with an interior that looks like a scratching post. I've queued it up to my favorite feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyZd4_2unFM&t=598s

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The defroster in that car is kinda great.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

Two quarter turns. Two. And the loving socket popped right off. Easy as could be.

That's great you got it out of there.

And yes, you should try to do the rest. Here's the thing: you can't be taught much of this stuck bolt/fastener/whatever thing. It's something you learn by touch and experience and it's difficult/impossible to teach over the internet. A bunc of people here would have had that out immediately and it would never have been a thing. But that's because they have already been in a similar position where they were left scratching their heads and trying stuff for a while. You build this into your book of knowledge.

All of these videos you watch about working on cars that make it look so easy? They aren't fighting with fasteners and poo poo like this. Or if they are they make it look easy because they've been there and done that.

You pay for knowledge. And you just paid for some. And came out the other side winning. You can do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Motronic posted:

That's great you got it out of there.

And yes, you should try to do the rest. Here's the thing: you can't be taught much of this stuck bolt/fastener/whatever thing. It's something you learn by touch and experience and it's difficult/impossible to teach over the internet. A bunc of people here would have had that out immediately and it would never have been a thing. But that's because they have already been in a similar position where they were left scratching their heads and trying stuff for a while. You build this into your book of knowledge.

All of these videos you watch about working on cars that make it look so easy? They aren't fighting with fasteners and poo poo like this. Or if they are they make it look easy because they've been there and done that.

You pay for knowledge. And you just paid for some. And came out the other side winning. You can do this.

Now there's some positivity! I've changed plugs dozens of times and never run into this problem so I guess it's rattled me. But you're right, and I do feel better having this experience especially since I was careful and didn't make a bad situation worse.