Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Watterson is also a legit awesome illustrator, his big ink & watercolor pieces are super good. Also he recently did a crossover thing with Bloom County.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Agent Escalus posted:

Well, you can mock (prime-era) Ned Flanders for a lot of things but at the end of the day you’d rather live next door to him than next to Homer (post early years).

Speaking of people that look exactly like Ned Flanders in real life, Bill Watterson is the greatest. I admire his firm anti-licensing stance; he literally left dumptrucks full of money on the table by not going all out a la Garfield or Peanuts. I don't know if he's at all resentful of Jim Davis (Charles Schulz is something of a hero to him if I remember, and they have licensed their creations similarly) but as a brilliant cartoonist I think he can see it's become a pretty low effort affair considering how much money is made from it. Even Nathen Mazri is trying to get a piece of the pie! In this sense Nathen is the anti-Watterson, and we are witnessing what it means to be that.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Futanari Damacy posted:

Speaking of people that look exactly like Ned Flanders in real life, Bill Watterson is the greatest. I admire his firm anti-licensing stance; he literally left dumptrucks full of money on the table by not going all out a la Garfield or Peanuts. I don't know if he's at all resentful of Jim Davis (Charles Schulz is something of a hero to him if I remember, and they have licensed their creations similarly) but as a brilliant cartoonist I think he can see it's become a pretty low effort affair considering how much money is made from it. Even Nathen Mazri is trying to get a piece of the pie! In this sense Nathen is the anti-Watterson, and we are witnessing what it means to be that.

I remember him explaining he wouldn't go for licensing because it would cheapen the experience of the comic, and as much as i dearly wanted a hobbes plush as a kid, as an adult i finally really understand his view point. Really respectable guy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If the number one bootleg product of your character was window stickers of him pissing on the logos of car companies that person don't like, you'd probably not want to do any licensing either.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
These days Calvin is usually pissing on Joe Biden or Antifa or the concept of democracy, really

Also I totally understand Bill Watterson's thoughts but it is objectively bad that he never allowed production of a Hobbes plush, speaking as someone who was a child through the entire run

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Frank Frank posted:

Ok so he’s gone from wanting to gently caress Garfield to wanting to BE Garfield.

hmm... the problematic realm of autogarfephilia

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
in the very first week Davis did a Peanuts homage/riff/ripoff

i can't find it right now, but Watterson did a caricature of Berk Breathed telling his characters to go out and make more money. (friendly ragging.) and for his part, Breathed did a strip in the 80s making fun of the incredibly cynical and lovely Pogo reboot.

well, that's my story. god bless

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Empty Sandwich posted:

in the very first week Davis did a Peanuts homage/riff/ripoff

i can't find it right now, but Watterson did a caricature of Berk Breathed telling his characters to go out and make more money. (friendly ragging.) and for his part, Breathed did a strip in the 80s making fun of the incredibly cynical and lovely Pogo reboot.

well, that's my story. god bless

This one? It's great. (Also I love original Pogo)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dixville posted:

I remember him explaining he wouldn't go for licensing because it would cheapen the experience of the comic, and as much as i dearly wanted a hobbes plush as a kid, as an adult i finally really understand his view point. Really respectable guy.

Yeah if you read his stuff he did it for the love of the comic, and really really hated everything that came with it. The fact that he stood up to the syndicates and made them back down was a feat that's not easily replicable

I like the fact too that he sometimes comes out of the woodwork for collaboration once and a while but just sort of does his own thing. Stephen Pastis has a really good explanation as to what it's like to work with him, and it's kind of heartwarming :3:

https://stephanpastis.wordpress.com...ll-he-just-did/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Yeah if you read his stuff he did it for the love of the comic, and really really hated everything that came with it. The fact that he stood up to the syndicates and made them back down was a feat that's not easily replicable

I like the fact too that he sometimes comes out of the woodwork for collaboration once and a while but just sort of does his own thing. Stephen Pastis has a really good explanation as to what it's like to work with him, and it's kind of heartwarming :3:

https://stephanpastis.wordpress.com...ll-he-just-did/

Wow, that's extremely sweet. Thank you for sharing that

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr. Quarex posted:

These days Calvin is usually pissing on Joe Biden or Antifa or the concept of democracy, really

Also I totally understand Bill Watterson's thoughts but it is objectively bad that he never allowed production of a Hobbes plush, speaking as someone who was a child through the entire run

The great part about Hobbes is that he's just a generic tiger plush toy. You bet that I had a tiger plush toy (that I named Hobbes) that had a place of honor beside my Snoopy and Donatello.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The great part about Hobbes is that he's just a generic tiger plush toy. You bet that I had a tiger plush toy (that I named Hobbes) that had a place of honor beside my Snoopy and Donatello.
Oh true. I had a generic tiger plush toy, too, but it was already named Daniel Striped Tiger and clearly I could not justify adding a second imaginary tiger friend to my life

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Akratic Method posted:

Jim Davis will outlive all mortals. He is sustained by the glory of his creation.

Jim Davis is rich and not a pillhead/Franzia addict who (probably) reserves his domestic violence for Odie

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm baffled that none of these huge companies with their brand marketing teams who purchased Garfield licenses for movies and tv shows and other big media products aren't doing anything about this crazy weirdo spouting to be the brand manager / deserved voice over artist / celibate lover of Garfield all over their social media efforts, because he paid to plaster the license on a pizza shop.

Did Jim Davis split the sale rights so granuarly that there's gently caress all they can do about it? At any rate, big respect to the man for min maxing the profitablility of his franchise like that and I hope Mazri retains his license and keeps us entergaged for years to come.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Escape From Noise posted:

This one? It's great. (Also I love original Pogo)

that's the guy. I thought I remembered a speedboat but it sounded insane.

Pogo is the absolute best. the fact that Walt Kelly was able to talk open poo poo about McCarthy every day even while he was doing his witch hunt is variously amazing. and it's loving funny even when I don't get the references

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Isometric Bacon posted:

I'm baffled that none of these huge companies with their brand marketing teams who purchased Garfield licenses for movies and tv shows and other big media products aren't doing anything about this crazy weirdo spouting to be the brand manager / deserved voice over artist / celibate lover of Garfield all over their social media efforts, because he paid to plaster the license on a pizza shop.

Did Jim Davis split the sale rights so granuarly that there's gently caress all they can do about it? At any rate, big respect to the man for min maxing the profitablility of his franchise like that and I hope Mazri retains his license and keeps us entergaged for years to come.

I honestly don't think anyone really notices, and the people who noticed don't care. Nathen is an absolute nothing, he has literally zero impact on the Garfield brand. He briefly raised a little curiosity when he started, now the only people still paying attention to him are us. It'd probably be more effort to take the licencing away than to keep forgetting about him.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I honestly don't think anyone really notices, and the people who noticed don't care. Nathen is an absolute nothing, he has literally zero impact on the Garfield brand. He briefly raised a little curiosity when he started, now the only people still paying attention to him are us. It'd probably be more effort to take the licencing away than to keep forgetting about him.

It is weird that he has bought Instagram followers (tons of likes) but not Twitter followers (more realistic picture of the true level of entergagement going on)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Is his instagram just him getting mad at young women from Saudi Arabia and neighboring countries for the crime of being pretty/wanting to look attractive/owning breasts?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Is his instagram just him getting mad at young women from Saudi Arabia and neighboring countries for the crime of being pretty/wanting to look attractive/owning breasts?

It's extremely disappointing that we could come this far on a journey with Nathen Mazri, be exposed to his madness, his entergagement, and be asked a question like this.

Of course, his Instagram is more than just an old man yelling "get off my breasts you kids".

He's a loving lunatic with a ton of money and delusions of grandeur who talks like he's wearing a human-suit and is actually reptiloid here to steal our water and is as dumb as Eric Trump and thinks he's a genius.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Futanari Damacy posted:

It is weird that he has bought Instagram followers (tons of likes) but not Twitter followers (more realistic picture of the true level of entergagement going on)

His meticulously engineered (by an insane mind) tweets with twenty #entergagement boosting #hashtags are all the funnier because they get at most one pity like

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

pseudanonymous posted:

It's extremely disappointing that we could come this far on a journey with Nathen Mazri, be exposed to his madness, his entergagement, and be asked a question like this.

Of course, his Instagram is more than just an old man yelling "get off my breasts you kids".

He's a loving lunatic with a ton of money and delusions of grandeur who talks like he's wearing a human-suit and is actually reptiloid here to steal our water and is as dumb as Eric Trump and thinks he's a genius.

You'd find the question pertinent if you checked out his Tiktok account, which, when I first skimmed his content, appeared to be nothing but as described. It's surprisingly out-of-character, or more likely, just another guise he's attempting in his desperation for fame

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Who'd have thought Nathen wouldn't be the only one going celibate with Garfield?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Nothing about that implies celibacy, except under penalty of law

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

More like jailcel amirite

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The first entergaging food brand offering post2jail unique brand opportunities

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Agent Escalus posted:

Who'd have thought Nathen wouldn't be the only one going celibate with Garfield?

I Believe I Can Fly Lyrics

[Verse 1]

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
But now I know the meaning of true love
I'm leaning on the everlasting arms

[Refrain]

If I can see it, then I can do it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

[Chorus]

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly (Woo)

[Verse 2]

See I was on the verge of breaking down
Sometimes silence can seem so loud
There are miracles in life I must achieve
But first I know it starts inside of me, ho-oh
[Refrain]
If I can see it (Woo), then I can be it
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it

[Chorus]

I believe I can fly
I believe I can soar
I believe I can fly
I believe I can fly
Oh I believe I can fly (Woo)

[Bridge]

Hey, 'cause I believe in me
Ohhh

[Refrain]

If I can see it (Woo), then I can do it (I can do it)
If I just believe it, there's nothing to it (Hey!)

[Chorus]

I believe I can fly (Woo!)
I believe I can soar
I believe I can fly (I can fly)
Hey, if I just spread my wings (I can fly)
I can fly (I can fly)
I can fly (I can fly)
I can fly, hey (I can fly)
If I just spread my wings (I can fly)
I can fly (I can fly) (I can fly)
(Woo!) (I can fly)

[Outro]

Fly-eye-eye

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Punchline in search of joke - Casu Mazri 🧀?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Maybe he's born with it...

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

MY LIPS ARE NATURAL

ok nathen nobody as-

MY LIPS ARE NATURAL FROM LINUM I COULD NOT SAY THIS BEFORE

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Now you too can look like a gross thumb with a puffy face

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

MY LIPS ARE NATURAL

ok nathen nobody as-

MY LIPS ARE NATURAL FROM LINUM I COULD NOT SAY THIS BEFORE

Nathan I don't know how you found my house, but it's 2:30 in the morning an-

ACKNOWLEDGE THE GUILT OF MY LIPS STARE AT THEM AND TELL THEM DIRECTLY NOT ME

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
This thread lies dormant in my subscribed threads list and every time I see a spurt of new posts I am filled with strange dread

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Celibate guy constantly making kissy faces at cameras

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My “I don’t have collagen injections” Garfield costume has people asking questions, etc

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
If his lips are natural why does he seem incapable of moving them?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

Celibate guy constantly making kissy faces at cameras

Yeah like this is all purely due to being shot down by some dude and trying to save face by saying “actually I’m not loving on purpose, in fact I never liked sex whatsoever this entire time!” :hehe: and then just leaning way, way too hard into it. It’s “doth protest too much” writ large.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
Lol I think whoever diagnosed Nathen with that aging twink syndrome really nailed it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Garfield/status/1461771509500981261

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Big City Drinkin posted:

Lol I think whoever diagnosed Nathen with that aging twink syndrome really nailed it