Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Rime posted:

LOL. LMAO.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

the talk of nuclear power saving us just reminded me of an essay i read about how when things start really going to poo poo, there won't be people or resources to maintain the existing nuclear power plants and if they aren't safely decommissioned by then pretty much all life on earth is dead

lol i'm having a good friday night

love going to work and pretending things are normal

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Enfys posted:

a lot of people are increasingly hosed up and don't know how to probe the spiky ball of screaming existential terror gradually consuming their subconscious

the hedgehog's dilemma becomes infinitely more complicated when the hedgehog in question is your own mind

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Jesus christ yall the biggest reason we cannot move away from fossil fuels is NOT because it's impossible (although it is very difficult) to produce energy without it. We can't because 1. Fossil fuels are used in so many consumer products that we have to reinvent whole cloth a lot of goods and their industries and 2. This one is more important, because there's no incentive for the oil banker barons to do so. The incentive would be a gun but we're still stuck with problems (1) and (0).

sure and the nuance is, those don't apply to removing fossil fuels from electricity production.

those exact same oil barons are the ones who will already are making bank off transitioning the grid away from fossil energy.

but that's why im so specific about the grid, because just because we do the easy and pro-capitalist thing of spending a bunch of public money to buy poo poo from oil energy companies and that has little to no impact on our ability to do the hard stuff like stop using plastics or stop driving cars.

it isnt really optimism that makes me think we will likely phase out fossil fuels from the grid, but a recognition that unlike the other things we need to do, this one might make energy companies a lot of money.

so we'll pat ourselves on the back that we paid Shell Energy a bunch of money for a "green" H2 plant to run as a peaker, while we still haven't dealt with transportation fuels, manufacturing, agriculture, or land use.

Enfys posted:

the talk of nuclear power saving us just reminded me of an essay i read about how when things start really going to poo poo, there won't be people or resources to maintain the existing nuclear power plants and if they aren't safely decommissioned by then pretty much all life on earth is dead

nah thats pretty bs. even if all the powerplants mega melted down, look where they are. hell pripyat looks pretty lush these days.

people vastly overestimate the harms of nuclear war too, people just like to assume nuclear means destroying everything.

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Nov 13, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The oil barons could take a bunch of money and use it to transition away from fossil fuels at great expense and only pocket a small part of that for themselves, OR, and hear me out on this: they could spend a pittance of that on PR and then pocket the rest.

reptilian_brain
Sep 8, 2010

Chamale posted:

Denmark has a bulldozer that drives up and down a beach twice a week, picking up all the plastic, then it wades into the ocean and dumps all of the plastic a few metres from the shore. $150,000 a year for this.

Green jobs

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Enfys posted:

That's a ludicrous exaggeration. If every single nuclear reactor went Chernobyl tomorrow, it would kill a few million people with cancer, but it's nowhere near the death toll that will be caused by continuing to burn fossil fuels at the current rate.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Rime posted:

Thought of the day: I wonder if the rising popularity of simulation theory is the result of non-religious westerners becoming consciously aware that they are destroying life on earth, and subciously seeking a coping mechanism which absolves them of their lifestyles and the existential horror of now being able to witness the collapse of the natural world in real time.

In the absence of a God, they've reached for "*The world is a simulation, ergo it is not real, ergo we are not actually destroying anything*". Go YOLO, live a high carbon digital nomad life, who cares, it's all fake and when we die we'll just transcend to heaven, I mean out of the "simulation".

congrats, you just invented spirituality.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Chamale posted:

Denmark has a bulldozer that drives up and down a beach twice a week, picking up all the plastic, then it wades into the ocean and dumps all of the plastic a few metres from the shore. $150,000 a year for this.

This is incredible. I feel like this is what "witnessing indescribable scenes from another dimension" is getting at.

lol

lmao

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Enfys posted:

life would be fine. it finds a way. also there aren’t nearly enough nuclear plants to effectively poison the earth. not to mention they don’t have nearly enough radioactive material to truly irradiate the planet beyond life existing. you’d essentially need to neutron bomb the entire planet. edit: never mind, neutron bombs would not be sufficient to kill bacteria.

note: I think nuclear buildout is dumb for a variety of reasons. I also think people who think life will be extinguished on earth because of ACC are woefully uneducated on the history of life on earth.

if anything, a mass extinction will eventually lead to far more biodiversity than there was before it.

Tabletops has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Nov 13, 2021

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Tabletops posted:

life would be fine. it finds a way. also there aren’t nearly enough nuclear plants to effectively poison the earth. not to mention they don’t have nearly enough radioactive material to truly irradiate the planet beyond life existing. you’d essentially need to neutron bomb the entire planet.

note: I think nuclear buildout is dumb for a variety of reasons. I also think people who think life will be extinguished on earth because of ACC are woefully uneducated on the history of life on earth.

if anything, a mass extinction will eventually lead to far more biodiversity than there was before it.

yeah i dont really give a poo poo about millions/billions of years into the past/future

on those timescales i was born like 1 second ago

basically who cares. it's the lamest form of cope

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
yeah I think assuming climate change will lead to the end of life on earth is just hubris and being unwilling to imagine life moving on without us. Climate change could definitely lead to the end of Human life on Earth though.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Raine posted:

yeah i dont really give a poo poo about millions/billions of years into the past/future

on those timescales i was born like 1 second ago

basically who cares. it's the lamest form of cope

im not sure how accepting some fact about life on earth, in the timescale of millions of years after I and every other human has long since suffered and died from the effects of climate change is cope at all.

the cope is thinking we can do something about biodiversity loss, or wasting resources on preserving animals facing extinction. it's a done deal. sorry. 70-95% of life that we know on earth will be extinct in the next 100,000 years.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is this some kind of excuse for why you just bought a truck or something?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

FistEnergy posted:

yeah I think assuming climate change will lead to the end of life on earth is just hubris and being unwilling to imagine life moving on without us. Climate change could definitely lead to the end of Human life on Earth though.

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild-plum trees in tremulous white;
Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Just replace war with climate change. Or maybe don't, since we will probably get climate change wars.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Tabletops posted:

life would be fine. it finds a way. also there aren’t nearly enough nuclear plants to effectively poison the earth. not to mention they don’t have nearly enough radioactive material to truly irradiate the planet beyond life existing. you’d essentially need to neutron bomb the entire planet.

but see, like, fissile material hitting the atmosphere does that.

I don’t wanna go all Jonathan Schell up in here, but there’s at least 2200 tons of highly enriched uranium and plutonium, and yeah, 2200 tons with a half-life of 4.5 billion years fucks up some pretty basic biochemical processes wherever the wind blows and rain falls

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if babies can eat plastic i can eat plutonium

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Unless posted:

but see, like, fissile material hitting the atmosphere does that.

I don’t wanna go all Jonathan Schell up in here, but there’s at least 2200 tons of highly enriched uranium and plutonium, and yeah, 2200 tons with a half-life of 4.5 billion years fucks up some pretty basic biochemical processes wherever the wind blows and rain falls

Chernobyl is a wildlife paradise because there are no humans there. The wild horses have mutated to be more resistant to radiation. They have a higher rate of birth defects but nature can deal with that.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Tabletops posted:

im not sure how accepting some fact about life on earth, in the timescale of millions of years after I and every other human has long since suffered and died from the effects of climate change is cope at all.

the cope is thinking we can do something about biodiversity loss, or wasting resources on preserving animals facing extinction. it's a done deal. sorry. 70-95% of life that we know on earth will be extinct in the next 100,000 years.

because the point that "life finds a way" is brought up frequently when we're talking about the collapse of the biosphere and the end of civilization, as if that matters at all

it's either a form of cope in that we can somehow take solace in natural processes which span millions of years, or a useless factoid that holds no purpose or use to our current situation. or the liberal variation where we somehow assume that the life which will "go on" includes us somehow

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

What's wrong with finding comfort in the continuity of nonhuman life, I dont get how that's "cope" which I interpret as meaning willful self deception

Or am I just misunderstanding neologisms and their usage here

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Lobe posted:

What's wrong with finding comfort in the continuity of nonhuman life, I dont get how that's "cope" which I interpret as meaning willful self deception

Or am I just misunderstanding neologisms and their usage here

It's coming from this being a general thread for discussing biosphere collapse from disastrous climate change, so most things are seen in that context.

So if someone posts here about future climates it might be seen as a coping mechanism. The original poster may just be stating a bland fact about the state of earth in 140,000AD but hope in the future is commonly used to refute what we are experiencing.

If it really is just a disconnected statement of fact about biodiversity once we (humans, the cause of this mass extinction) have killed ourselves and the world evolves without our influence for a long enough time then that isn't coping.

If it's someone responding to their anxiety about COPE26 being a literal joke and us arming ourselves while turbofucking the environment and having some harsh realizations about that with "Well at least (future thing)" then it's coping. It's a desperate one in that context since it's something that can never be disproven. Nobody knows for sure what will happen in the future so if you hold onto that then you've never lost hope. Something that hasn't been born can never die.

I think those two might get confused sometimes. It's definitely possible to talk about the Acid Squid vs Landcat wars of 1,000,000,000AD and not pretend that changes one single thing about the present.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
and yeah I know we are going to take most cats out with us but anyone who has ever owned one knows those dicks are just biding their time waiting for thumbs and larger brains

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
we don't need to go full venus, just need the min temps to hit 40+ and photosynthesis pretty much stops entirely iirc

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Mr. Lobe posted:

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild-plum trees in tremulous white;
Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Just replace war with climate change. Or maybe don't, since we will probably get climate change wars.

except climate change also destroys the birds and trees

and seasonable weather patterns like Spring herself

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's coming from this being a general thread for discussing biosphere collapse from disastrous climate change, so most things are seen in that context.

So if someone posts here about future climates it might be seen as a coping mechanism. The original poster may just be stating a bland fact about the state of earth in 140,000AD but hope in the future is commonly used to refute what we are experiencing.

If it really is just a disconnected statement of fact about biodiversity once we (humans, the cause of this mass extinction) have killed ourselves and the world evolves without our influence for a long enough time then that isn't coping.

If it's someone responding to their anxiety about COPE26 being a literal joke and us arming ourselves while turbofucking the environment and having some harsh realizations about that with "Well at least (future thing)" then it's coping. It's a desperate one in that context since it's something that can never be disproven. Nobody knows for sure what will happen in the future so if you hold onto that then you've never lost hope. Something that hasn't been born can never die.

I think those two might get confused sometimes. It's definitely possible to talk about the Acid Squid vs Landcat wars of 1,000,000,000AD and not pretend that changes one single thing about the present.

it’s just a matter of fact statement in response to the weird assumption that humans will end all life on earth. which is just kinda egocentric.
(next part isn’t really a response to you specifically)

I can see how someone could think that accepting 4c of warming as a foregone conclusion is cope. like it’s giving myself permission to pollute to the best of my meager ability.

I disagree though, it’s more that it’s an obvious lost battle. instead of wallowing over it, or just crossing your fingers for some magic technology to save us I’m more inclined to spend my energy on things that can help alleviate some of the effects of gcc.

something as simple as continuing pressure on local government for starting work on a seawall in my cities downtown sooner than later.

there’s lots to be done to prepare for this inevitability, and that’s the only realistic way to help reduce human suffering that is coming.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i think generally speaking even if we make the planet restart from simple aquatic life, just slap those loving fish with legs right the gently caress back, then we still have enough time before the sun turns red giant for some other kind of plants and animals to make an appearance.

I guess it depends on how far back we push things for however many millions of years we've hosed things

Tabletops posted:

it’s just a matter of fact statement in response to the weird assumption that humans will end all life on earth. which is just kinda egocentric.
(next part isn’t really a response to you specifically)

I can see how someone could think that accepting 4c of warming as a foregone conclusion is cope. like it’s giving myself permission to pollute to the best of my meager ability.

I disagree though, it’s more that it’s an obvious lost battle. instead of wallowing over it, or just crossing your fingers for some magic technology to save us I’m more inclined to spend my energy on things that can help alleviate some of the effects of gcc.

something as simple as continuing pressure on local government for starting work on a seawall in my cities downtown sooner than later.

there’s lots to be done to prepare for this inevitability, and that’s the only realistic way to help reduce human suffering that is coming.

Being able to separate protecting our lives and life is pretty critical to that. We may scour the earth's surface clean for a billion years with what we've done but you can still help our lives. So you are right.

I personally think people need to be that real to actually make a difference because anything other than the horrible truth is just a comfortable position that steals the urgency of the situation.

but yeah that's why talk of future life can sometimes be mocked here. I personally am extremely interested in what the earth might look like 1-3 billion years from now if you take into account what is going to happen with these mass extinctions and millions-of-years disruptions to weather patterns and atmospheric composition we've caused.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 03:48 on Nov 13, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
If this were specifically a climate change thread yeah fine sure but lol no humans have absolutely ended what we commonly think of as 'life on Earth'. The Plastic Crisis started within a human lifetime, is killing the plankton already, and will last for a million years. Who knows what comes out the other side of this but it will be new and exciting and definitely Not Us.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Lizards->Apes->Insects

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Rectal Death Adept posted:

no belief is a monolith so you have a group of people like us that joke about memory overflows in the simulation leading to Trump or that his presidency was the player hitting all of the SimCity disasters to see what happened.

There are big brain smarty pants that are serious about simulation theory trying to write articles and books about how reality could be a simulation for various reasons. Notoriety could be one, boredom another but Rime might be right that some people are motivated by the idea that reality isn't "real" reality so we aren't the biggest monsters in the actual universe or whatever.

Coincidentally I watched a Thought Slime video today and I found it kind of interesting (and unsurprising) that most of the 'we're definitely in a simulation' people are badly interpreting one particular philosophy paper from 2003.

https://youtu.be/erkM0abWBfQ

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Tabletops posted:

That's actually a really nice thought :unsmith:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

in a couple billion years the planet will be a lifeless rock anyway
good luck finding a way when this happens, life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NRccYV_M1c

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
birds had their chance and now they should gently caress right off with that talking poo poo

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
if you dont think we can venus this poo poo you need to believe in us more we can make this happen

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Trabisnikof posted:

people vastly overestimate the harms of nuclear war
solid thread title contender

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MightyBigMinus posted:

solid thread title contender

pro: i get vaporized
con: it wont happen before i run out of carts for my vaporizer

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

This is just a less detailed version of Biomass.png, which I don't think has been posted in the new thread yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I want to see wild insects on there, but I suppose that undercuts the message of "wow that's not a lot of wild animals" by replacing it with "wow the planet is made of insects"