Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Sydin posted:

I learned about the American Revolution three times in school. Elementary was yeah pretty much the same: Colonists (although back then all the books and teachers called them "pilgrims") were pure and good, evil Britains taxed them too much, so the colonists dumped some tea in the harbor, the founding fathers came down from on high to create the greatest country on earth, and we kicked the poo poo out of the red coats. I don't even remember if we touched on the French bailing us out or not. Also zero mention of Native Americans outside of sharing turkey on Thanksgiving.

Second time was in HS, this one was a bit more nuanced and they actually went over all the various different stages that led up to the revolution, the French involvement, that natives were treated abhorrently, the absolute loving shitshow that was the articles of confederation, etc. Founding fathers were still pretty heavily lionized though and most of the general mythos was left in tact.

Third and final time was in university from the classic A People's History of the United States, which ruthlessly deconstructs the generally accepted narrative surrounding American independence and absolutely hammers home the fact that it was a strictly political revolution staged by a bunch of rich white dudes concerned about their own wealth and say in government.
This was basically my experience.

Except that for some reason in elementary school I knew it was all BS. Not sure where that influence came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I went to public school here and my education on the American Revolution was some people got mad about tea and ???, and then the shot heard round the world. Then some more stuff happened and we won our freedom! Now let's spend some time building Mission San Juan Batista out of milk cartons.
Mercifully, the whole build-a-mission thing is no longer mandated by the state education rules. Craft shops everywhere mourn, parents everywhere rejoice.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Mercifully, the whole build-a-mission thing is no longer mandated by the state education rules. Craft shops everywhere mourn, parents everywhere rejoice.

oh thank god

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
RIP my sugar cube and paper mache mission San Luis Obispo.

Also for weirdo private/charter schools some guy I know from high school has kids going to John Adam's Academy and it sounds like an ultra right wing school for 5 year olds based on the description.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lol, the mission building. I remember I was one of maybe two people who actually largely built it on my own, standing out in a sea of meticulously parent-crafted models. This was of course because the assignment was explicit that you weren't supposed to get any help from your parents outside of actually getting the materials. So naturally I got one of the worse grades on the assignment because mine looked like poo poo by comparison. :thumbsup:

Kinda wild to think back and realize how much elementary and middle school history was at best super lazy and at worst outright brainwashing, even in "progressive" California. I don't really think I was presented anything resembling a critical look at American history until 11th grade, and that was only because I'd switched schools to a middle college and the history teacher there was pretty openly progressive. I remember he walked us through the full '08 ballot including the props, allowing the class to discuss and debate all of them, except Prop 8 where he just went "we're not debating this because it's just hateful and vile and I can't even pretend to play devil's advocate for the yes side to moderate a debate on it."

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

that poo poo is state mandated? i didn't go to school here but i must have had to make like a dozen shoebox dioramas in k-12 and i loving hated it

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wound up building one school project because I had a child in hysterical tears who had absolutely no idea how to build their string-propelled vehicle project due the next day. Even after copious hints. The missions? Your problem, kids.

e: Huh. Turns out that there was a state mandate to study the missions, but the assignment of building model missions was just passed on from generation to generation. And some schools are still doing it, scream.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 9, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Sydin posted:

lol, the mission building. I remember I was one of maybe two people who actually largely built it on my own, standing out in a sea of meticulously parent-crafted models. This was of course because the assignment was explicit that you weren't supposed to get any help from your parents outside of actually getting the materials. So naturally I got one of the worse grades on the assignment because mine looked like poo poo by comparison. :thumbsup:

Lol same, my parents helped me source materials around the house or they'd bring home cardboard from work, but I had to build it myself. I brought in my extreme amateur effort and most everyone else had built model kits, plus the one kid whose model was expertly crafted with actual stucco. Thankfully my teacher just checked off if you did it or not and didn't grade on build quality.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Proust Malone posted:

I’ve been reading over the course of many years a previous series also called “A Peoples History of the United States” but this was a long series of books done for the bicentennial. Much less labor history than Zinn but pretty even handed in the handling of the revolution in terms of interest groups. I came away from the revolution thinking “are we the baddies” especially when it came to lord dunsmore in Virginia offering emancipation to any enslaved person who joined the army to fight against rebelling owners. Same thing with american juries acquitting everyone in the same manner of all white juries in the Jim crow south.

For all the complexities, contradictions and hypocrisy in the American Revolution, there is no historical ambiguity that it was a progressive event and that the British Empire was on the wrong side. Some historians are trying to revise it so brutal slavers like Lord Dunmore are suddenly progressive and it's a bit absurd.

"WSWS posted:

As governor, Dunmore had refused to sign a bill closing the slave trade to Virginia. But confronted with the threat of rebellion, Dunmore saw the need for a tactical initiative. He wrote to Lord Dartmouth on March 1, 1775 that he hoped freeing the colonists’ slaves would “reduce the refractory people of this Colony to obedience.” [9] He acted in November 1775, issuing a proclamation that applied only to adult male slaves belonging to owners who actively opposed the crown. The “divide and conquer” maneuver was a well-practiced ruse of the British to crush dissent....

While there is evidence that thousands of slaves escaped to join the British forces in the hope of securing freedom, the British treated these runaways with such extreme brutality that many runaways soon fled the British. Loyalist forces returned slaves whose owners switched their support to the crown, subjecting the slaves to brutal punishment as captured fugitives.

The British armed a small minority of the runaways, but the vast majority were made to perform dangerous and brutal labor with virtually no pay and little food. There is evidence that many were ultimately sold off into the West Indian slave trade. Frey notes that of the 800 who escaped to Dunmore’s forces, most died of disease by 1776 due to lack of food, clothing and shelter. Of course, these slaves cannot be blamed for seeking freedom with the British. However, they were tossed aside when the imperial ploy to maintain control of the colonies fell through....

Lord Dunmore left the colonies to become royal governor of Bermuda from 1787 to 1796, where he enforced a brutal slave system and personally owned a significant number of slaves.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I like to support my local mission as a local piece of whatever history California can claim to have. But I harbor no illusions about them. I have no doubt that its institutions have a checkered history.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Canasta_Nasty posted:

For all the complexities, contradictions and hypocrisy in the American Revolution, there is no historical ambiguity that it was a progressive event and that the British Empire was on the wrong side. Some historians are trying to revise it so brutal slavers like Lord Dunmore are suddenly progressive and it's a bit absurd.

slavers gonna enslave, for sure

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

sb hermit posted:

I like to support my local mission as a local piece of whatever history California can claim to have. But I harbor no illusions about them. I have no doubt that its institutions have a checkered history.

Missions should be preserved like Nazi work-camps, since that's what they were. They should absolutely not be places where people get married and celebrate mass and where schoolchildren get taken around to admire the architecture and hear about all the hardworking priests and their loyal Indian parishioners.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's cool to keep seeing stuff like civil war armories etc in Northern California and go 'oh what were these for' and then it turns out some of the big mines and logging operations were basically native death camps lol.

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

Yeah they're absolutely still doing missions models, my son had to build one last spring, then submit pictures since class was still remote. One of his classmates built his in Minecraft and I absolutely cursed myself for not thinking of it first.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

enslaving native americans and working them to death, in minecraft

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

As a non-native, is there a good source to read up about those missions?

My public education was over in florida during the period when they were doing a test run of what would become NCLB. The local history lots of talk about conquistadors, but almost had no mention of natives. Except for when a dude from the Seminole tribe gave a speech about their history and how they never signed a peace treaty and hid in the swamps to avoid being slaughtered or forced onto the trail of tears.

The two things I can remember making as class projects were some dinosaurs out of wire, and some plankton out of aluminum foil.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

all I remember in elementary school was "smog days."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I recently learned what happened to the Native Americans who lived in Mendocino County.

Hoo boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Valley_Settler_Massacres_of_1856%E2%80%931859

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

I recently learned what happened to the Native Americans who lived in Mendocino County.

Hoo boy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round_Valley_Settler_Massacres_of_1856%E2%80%931859

Jesus.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a reason there's literally like a few thousand natives in California.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

California has the largest population of native people in the US, over 700,000. Despite the government's best efforts obviously.

Raise your hand if you belong to race/culture who are told "I didn't think there were any of you around anymore" on a regular basis lol. Nope, still here.

jetz0r posted:

If you're interested enough to read a whole book check out A Cross of Thorns: The Enslavement of California's Indians by the Spanish Missions

pandy fackler fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 11, 2021

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pandy fackler posted:

California has the largest population of native people in the US, over 700,000. Despite the government's best efforts obviously.

Raise your hand if you belong to race/culture who are told "I didn't think there were any of you around anymore" on a regular basis lol. Nope, still here.

If you're interested enough to read a whole book check out A Cross of Thorns: The Enslavement of California's Indians by the Spanish Missions

I didn't mean it literally, so sorry if I came off like that. But also I live in a place with a bunch of old native settlement sites and a lot of mysterious civil war structures, and, supposedly, a literal death camp, so it's hard not to run around yelling at everyone who doesn't know it, I guess.

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

jetz0r posted:

This isn't exactly what you're asking because it focuses on the massacres flowing from the gold rush but I recently finished An American Genocide. It's a bit dry but it leaves no wiggle room for genocide deniers. It's 100% clear that local, state and federal officials consciously sought to exterminate the indigenous population. A lot of this gets swept under the rug as unintentional, just some greedy locals carrying out massacres that the government didn't stop or that the collapse of indigenous societies was tragic but inevitable with no one really responsible. But nope, it was textbook, conscious genocide.

Canasta_Nasty fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2021

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

Larry Parrish posted:

I didn't mean it literally, so sorry if I came off like that. But also I live in a place with a bunch of old native settlement sites and a lot of mysterious civil war structures, and, supposedly, a literal death camp, so it's hard not to run around yelling at everyone who doesn't know it, I guess.

No worries dude. It's stated literally often enough that I just wanted to be clear. There's an old military fort in my neighborhood that gets treated as some kind of quaint picnic spot of historical interest and it's hard not to be the bummer of the group saying "you know that's like our Auschwitz right" whenever people want to go hang out there. California is built out of bones.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

pandy fackler posted:

California has the largest population of native people in the US, over 700,000.

Of 39,538,223. :negative:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Kenning posted:

Missions should be preserved like Nazi work-camps, since that's what they were. They should absolutely not be places where people get married and celebrate mass and where schoolchildren get taken around to admire the architecture and hear about all the hardworking priests and their loyal Indian parishioners.

Like with the statues of Junipero Sierra, I know some older Latino folks are really into them as symbols of the region’s Latino and Catholic history/heritage. I personally don’t really give a poo poo either way, no real dog in that fight. But the contours of the debate over what they symbolically represent to people are a little more complicated than with things like confederate monuments , where it's lost cause types defending them and you know exactly why.

I found this book, on the same subject, really interesting, albeit grim as well: Bordelands of slavery

It also deals with the practice of debt peonage, which was a huge deal in CA and other parts of the southwest.
Congress actually had to send the army into the region to end the practice after the civil war.

In remote areas of the southwest this poo poo continued until the 1960s

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I listen to a lot of olde radio stuff on Sirius XM and the story of how the Pueblo missions were founded was.... well it wasn't hard to read between the lines of 1940s racist rear end whitewashed retellings.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'd feel better about the Missions still being around if the signage in places like the Santa Barbara Mission recontextualized language like "the missionaries taught the neophytes important skills like agriculture". Because of course the Chumash were absolute disasters before the Spanish arrived and saved them.

But I guess the Church isn't big on humility, ironically.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My grandma's funeral service was at the San Diego Mission. One of the informational signs described a plaque as "a monument to the Indian neophytes who died in the construction of the Mission and its farms" or something like that (emphasis mine). One of the most upsetting uses of the passive voice I've encountered.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kenning posted:

My grandma's funeral service was at the San Diego Mission. One of the informational signs described a plaque as "a monument to the Indian neophytes who died in the construction of the Mission and its farms" or something like that (emphasis mine). One of the most upsetting uses of the passive voice I've encountered.

Actually that's active voice, they're the ones doing the dying. I suppose what you mean is that it elides who caused their death.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Magic Underwear posted:

Actually that's active voice, they're the ones doing the dying. I suppose what you mean is that it elides who caused their death.

That is not active voice. Active voice would be "The Indian neophytes died in the construction of the mission and its farms." Active voice and accurate reporting would be "White people worked the Indians who constructed this mission to death and tortured them." I know California's school system isn't great these days, but c'mon.

e: actually, I think I might be mistaken? I also went to a California school :)

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 12, 2021

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Just watched a virtual tour of Mission San Diego. They let me know that before meeting the settlers the natives were nomadic and ate acorns. No mention of what happened after they entered the mission, but the audio did tell me that the statue of St. Francis was surrounded by birds to represent the Franciscan's devotion to "all of god's creatures," so probably nothing bad happened.

"Please tour our death camps, they're actually quite nice and full of lovely gardens" -tourism board of every city with a mission in it

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Magic Underwear posted:

Yeah, I guess being clear about passive/active voice vs. transitive/intransitive verbs is pretty important when discussing genocidal propaganda.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
You know, thinking about this: the fact that German concentration camps are rightly regarded as sites of horror and murder probably has more to do than we’d like to admit with the fact that they’re ugly, utilitarian buildings.

There are plenty of structures where horrific things happened, some of which were built specifically to facilitate those things, that essentially are remembered mainly as that pretty old building, all over the world.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fill Baptismal posted:

There are plenty of structures where horrific things happened, some of which were built specifically to facilitate those things, that essentially are remembered mainly as that pretty old building, all over the world.
The difference is that the Nazis did that in living memory.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah but even in 100 years I don't think people are going to be getting Dachau weddings the way that they do with, say, plantations.

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Yeah, I think the bigger factor there is that Germany recognizes the atrocities of the Nazis as such while the US tries very hard to downplay all the slavery and genocide.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even when people admit that colonization was achieved through genocide, nobody ever goes further and says colonization was a mistake. Merely the means.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Necessary evils so we could manifest our destiny and spread freedom, you see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Or it could be that people don't have weddings at Dachau because it is a bunch of industrial buildings with barbed wire and ten foot concrete fences in the middle of a muddy field? Compared to missions which are generally architecturally beautiful churches in picturesque countryside.

Also it's been centuries since the atrocities committed at the missions but it's been about 80 years since world war 2. I could see something like the Eagles Nest becoming a popular wedding venue in a couple hundred years when people see it more as a historical chalet tucked in the mountains rather than Hitler's personal mountain retreat.

Seph fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 13, 2021