Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

anothergod posted:

Screen protector and/or paper-like screen protector thoughts? I have an iPad Mini rocking the standard carrying case but no screen protection

I love the paperlike, but just be aware that it is more abrasive on the pencil tip, so you'll have to replace them more often than normal. Maybe a few a year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Just random fyi: I figured out why my iPad wouldn’t do a software update. I had the SIM removed (in my other device). When I swapped it back, it immediately did a software update.

So fyi, cell connected apple products may need a sim to do an update. Possibly not an issue if they have eSIM , which my iPad doesn’t have.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

anothergod posted:

Crossposting for the Mac thread:

Can I do streaming from an M1 Mac Mini at home to an iPad on the go? I'm thinking something like Parsec or Moonlight, but to an iPad.

I use Jump Desktop to do this, it's not free but it's simpler to use than fiddling with a VPN and VNC. The latency isn't as good as Parsec, but who knows if/when Parsec will ever release an iOS client.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Violates warranty Ts&Cs

Of the cloth

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got the crayon for an incoming iPad Air 4 I’ll be using to teach and tutor. I’m just wondering what the experience will be like vs the pencil?

I borrowed a friend’s Air 4 and Pencil 2 for a session and it was incredibly good but the software I use doesn’t care about pressure or angle or anything so I was thinking the extra $60 would be a bit of a waste vs the crayon. Is that about right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I got the crayon for an incoming iPad Air 4 I’ll be using to teach and tutor. I’m just wondering what the experience will be like vs the pencil?

I borrowed a friend’s Air 4 and Pencil 2 for a session and it was incredibly good but the software I use doesn’t care about pressure or angle or anything so I was thinking the extra $60 would be a bit of a waste vs the crayon. Is that about right?
For straight digital input like that it should be fine afaik, like it has the same tracking as the Pencil 1 uses. Maybe not as good as the 2nd gen but it should still be fine (saying that as someone that has been using a 1st gen for a while). I think the main drawback will be losing the convenience factor of the magnetic connection and just charging on the side.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tuyop posted:

I think the difference is that the Pencil 2 has the double tap to change to another brush / eraser as well as the variable pressure when writing (i.e. more / less "ink" depending on how hard you press).

The General
Mar 4, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

I think the difference is that the Pencil 2 has the double tap to change to another brush / eraser as well as the variable pressure when writing (i.e. more / less "ink" depending on how hard you press).

Kinda wish this feature was a button and not just a touch anywhere. I randomly tap on my pencil all the time and start erasing things by accident :laugh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got a Magic Keyboard for my 12.9” non-M1 Pro as a gift and it is fantastic. Should have gotten it a while back imo! Basically all the functionality that I’d use in a laptop now.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

priznat posted:

Got a Magic Keyboard for my 12.9” non-M1 Pro as a gift and it is fantastic. Should have gotten it a while back imo! Basically all the functionality that I’d use in a laptop now.

They're aggressively useless if you just do content consumption, and way overpriced even if you don't but if you can find the $200 deal (I have the M1 Pro and got in on the first round of 4th Gen Magic Keyboards at Best Buy, fits just fine and pass through charging is handy) and do anything more productive than send a few emails they really are like Magic.

Now if I could just find a use for an Apple Pencil since dexterity is my dump stat and I have the artistic skills of a salad bar. Are there any good sub $50 knock offs for just writing/quick notes/drag and drop for the 2nd gen pencil that don't involve aliexpress?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My handwriting is absolute garbage with the pencil. How do I improve it?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

Unfortunately the answer is honest hard work and practice :(

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Now if I could just find a use for an Apple Pencil since dexterity is my dump stat and I have the artistic skills of a salad bar. Are there any good sub $50 knock offs for just writing/quick notes/drag and drop for the 2nd gen pencil that don't involve aliexpress?
Looks like Logitech Crayons are $40-50 on eBay, knockoff Pencils about $20-30 on Amazon (which is basically a more expensive AliExpress with faster shipping for stuff like this), might be ones down to $15 if you look hard enough. To find them basically just search for "iPad stylus 2018", that should limit the results to the Pencil knockoffs (vs the ones that are just fancy generic capacitive styluses).

Bottom Liner posted:

Stop being garbage at handwriting.

The app matters too. I noticed the Notes app can do some weird stuff with line adjustments at times that messes with my writing, like deleting or cutting down some strokes.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Is there a typing test app but for handwriting?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

anothergod posted:

Is there a typing test app but for handwriting?
You can write in any text field so TypeRacer actually kinda works. The punctuation and fixing partial words/typos is a massive pain though.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Is there a Palmer method app so your handwriting can look like you are writing some perfect old timer cursive

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Idk what Palmer method is but that sounds cool

Does anyone here have experience w/ streaming? I have games on a PS4 and Steam. I'm interested in playing turn based games if that helps.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I’ve used Steam Link to play No Mans Sky over AirPlay to my TV. Worked great even over WiFi

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ve done both Steam Link and PS Remote Play and yeah they work pretty great with a paired controller even remotely / away from home.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Played a good chunk of Great Ace Attorney Chronicles on my iPad over Steam Link - even from someone else's house over the internet! Great for turn based games / visual novels but I wouldn't wanna do it for action games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just tried it out over my hotspot at work today. Works….decently well….but you absolutely need a controller. The touch screen interface works but it’s awkward. Nothing beats holding the hardware controller in your hand.

It’s fine with a turn based game, but there’s totally latency of a good 250-500ms, and who knows how much that’d eat into my “unlimited” data.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

and who knows how much that’d eat into my “unlimited” data.

It’s a lot. You could do it a few hours a month NBD but you’ll hit your cap pretty quick with any serious gaming sessions.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Laptop finally took a dump, so considering getting a new iPad Mini for mobile computing purposes. Given that I use a iPhone 13 Max Pro, wondering if the relatively minimal size difference between it and the iPad Mini will make it even worthwhile to go for the Mini. Don’t need an iPad Pro and the Mini over the Air sounds appealing as mostly a throw around device as I have a Windows desktop for most of my other poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

RhoA posted:

Laptop finally took a dump, so considering getting a new iPad Mini for mobile computing purposes. Given that I use a iPhone 13 Max Pro, wondering if the relatively minimal size difference between it and the iPad Mini will make it even worthwhile to go for the Mini. Don’t need an iPad Pro and the Mini over the Air sounds appealing as mostly a throw around device as I have a Windows desktop for most of my other poo poo.
Diagonal wise it's not that much bigger, but because the different aspect ratio it's nearly double the area, and iPad software can lay things out differently on the bigger screen. Think of it more like a small laptop (well, tablet) screen than a bigger phone screen, if that makes sense.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

iPadOS also has some bonuses that iOS doesn't in terms of multitasking, don't discount that even though it's a smal screen relative to other iPads.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

RhoA posted:

If you plan on doing meaningful work on it, I don't think the Mini will cover your needs. I got the 11" Pro hoping I could use it as a laptop replacement and now regret not getting the 13". Just me, though.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't use my Air 4 as much as I probably should, but whenever I do I'm pretty happy with that shape and size. I also have a 13 Pro Max if that helps.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Well Played Mauer posted:

If you plan on doing meaningful work on it, I don't think the Mini will cover your needs. I got the 11" Pro hoping I could use it as a laptop replacement and now regret not getting the 13". Just me, though.

Counterpoint: I started off with the 13", and found it too unwieldy for the computing value it was ultimately bringing. I'm much much happier with the 11", to the point that I'm more productive with it because I enjoy using it more.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Thanks chaps. Think I’ll go to the Apple Store today and play around with the Mini to see if it’ll work for me. I gather I should probably wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals before purchasing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Make sure you try out the pencil too, it's one of those things where you can't see why it would be useful and then you actually do stuff with it and it turns out it's pretty drat slick.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Does anyone have a mouse they like to use to easily switch between devices? And/or how seemless is sidecar? I am pretty close to pushing myself completely into the Apple ecosystem....

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

anothergod posted:

Does anyone have a mouse they like to use to easily switch between devices? And/or how seemless is sidecar? I am pretty close to pushing myself completely into the Apple ecosystem....

I got a clearance Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed from Sam's Club for pretty cheap that has a 2.4GHz dongle and Bluetooth. I have it dialed in so BT goes to my iPad and the dongle stays in my laptop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same with my logitech g604, it has a button to swap between the wifi and bluetooth modes so I hold a button on the mouse for a couple seconds and it swaps to the other device. It only takes a few seconds and I didn't have to buy anything special for it (been using the mouse for a couple years).

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Welp, think I'll be getting an 11 inch iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Mini was just a bit too small for what I need.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
The mini is awesome for notes and books, imo.

I got a full air 4 for work stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RhoA posted:

Welp, think I'll be getting an 11 inch iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Mini was just a bit too small for what I need.

I'm really enjoying my 13 inch one for what it's worth. Still plenty easy to move around and hold even at its largest size.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

I'm really enjoying my 13 inch one for what it's worth. Still plenty easy to move around and hold even at its largest size.

That’s what she said!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

anothergod posted:

Logitech MX Master 3 is the go-to mouse when it comes to non-gaming work and can connect either via dongle or Bluetooth to three separate devices via a button on the bottom. I have one and switch between my PC, Mac Mini, and work laptop constantly, it’s great. Horizontal scroll wheel is also very nice.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

That mouse looks better than the one I have for my PC. I guess that makes the price easier to swallow.

Anyone have vertical stand advice? Sometimes I wanna type on my keyboard in vertical but the Apple folio only does it horizontal. I have a mini if that helps. Related: are there gooseneck flexible mounts that are recommend3d?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you have a costco membership, they sell a mouse that is basically the budget version of a mx master, which supports two bluetooth hosts and a dongle, and is currently $20. I've had mine a year and the switches all still work so it's doing well for a logitech