Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CrashScreen posted:

Hey, legit asking for a friend. He rolled Thief / Thief / Mystic Knight / Samurai. Got to Soulcannon and is running 2x Thief, 2x Mystic Knight atm, but is having some difficulties. The HP Leak is still killing him, and he can't really seem to outheal it with Potions. Even once the Launchers go down, the 50HP heals can't compete with the Cannon. Is this just a case of "level more" or are there any other useful things he can steal/farm/equip that could help? He's grinding for the Angel Rings to at least help with Old, but that doesn't seem to be the biggest issue he's struggling with. It seems like you can't run from Ramuh for the Hi-Potion farm in this version either?

Go back to the fire-powered ship. Poltergeists there (the face tongue things in the back section) have hi-potions as their common steal.

EDIT: to get back to the fire-powered ship, just land back on the airship catapult and you can access that dungeon without any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Go back to the fire-powered ship. Poltergeists there (the face tongue things in the back section) have hi-potions as their common steal.

EDIT: to get back to the fire-powered ship, just land back on the airship catapult and you can access that dungeon without any problems.

Ahhhh, that's great. Thanks!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

quote:

gently caress man, I really hope almagest doesn't ignore shell
Guess what?

Also, same person ran into a bug where if you used Quick and Magic Lamp it would permanently remove the lamp :laffo:

Some more for funsies:
  • Self-Destruct's nerf also means Aegis Shield can block it
  • Lock up on running out Tree's MP (due to Meteor?). Report that Wonder Rod only reset to Neo phase?
  • Have to read note to get Mini, have to read Cid's note after Ronka
  • Omega will counter even if party takes damage (such as using only 3 Reflects and bouncing Thundaga. Same as mobile?). Ouch.
  • Here's an odd one so I'll just quote directly: "last I saw, after Omega does search it doesn't counter at all for a bit. and xfight counter was only two attacks rather than 4".
  • Not sure but blocking/Elven Mantle seems to trigger more often. Neo ExDeath seems slower.

Uhhhh:
https://twitter.com/konarofu2/status/1458970843740995588

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 13, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
New Twin Lance behavior means that Chicken Knife in left hand procs. So don't make plans for it unless you have access to an alternate way to override. !Mug still works if it's mainhand.

So, hmm.
THF/Mystic Knight/NIN/NIN.

Very limited use for Dual Wield, but I'll probably have it anyway as it's an extremely glass cannon setup. Krile with the Chicken Knife for max AGI, has to be NIN to get an offhand with it, probably Sasuke's to deal with how fragile she is, !Mug to avoid its proc. Lenna on Mystic Knight, sub... I'm not even sure what probably the barrier passive, options are limited to that !Throw !Steal/!Mug the two !Flees and !Image which would be of limited use on the only heavy armor wearer. Maybe !Throw for Exdeath since there are 10 legendary weapons and potentially infinite drops/steals/buys I'm not touching. Whichever of Butz and Faris ends up lower-level as THF with Dual Wield, in the back row with Rising Suns, or with barrier if they're going to be purely on those gimped Hi-Potion heals; whichever is higher in the front as NIN with !Spellblade, Assassin's Dagger, and a Twin Lance/Rising Sun depending on enemy defense.

Sound about right?

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Nov 13, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, you can use a quicksave glitch to get two Chicken Knives?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

girl dick energy posted:

So, you can use a quicksave glitch to get two Chicken Knives?
it looks like you might be able to get more lmao

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Or both. Unfortunately I saw that post around 20 minutes after I grabbed mine and saved over my World 3 overworld slot, so double-checking comes after another Exdeath fight. :v:

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Found this Soft lock:
https://i.imgur.com/6wmrmAc.mp4

Seems to be just about how Gold Needle can miss, and if it misses on a golem that's the last enemy.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

God, how is the remaster so ugly?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Thats a custom font.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

God, how is the remaster so ugly?

OUtside of the bad custom font it looks fine.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Y'all have poo poo taste.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Thats a custom font.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OUtside of the bad custom font it looks fine.
I don't just mean the menus. I hate the 'pixels but not really' art style the remasters are using. The style the characters are drawn in does nothing to address the main issue that the Matrix version had. Nothing looks like it belongs in the same game. The characters, the backgrounds, the enemies, the menus, they're all 'pixelated' at different scales, without so much as a consistent palette or light source/shading to tie them together.

It looks like a mid-2000s sprite comic.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's just a crappy capture. This is what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs17OB7OZc&t=980s

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

it looks like you might be able to get more lmao

You can only get 2. Quicksaving and loading after picking up the freebie acts as if you've picked it up normally.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's just a crappy capture. This is what it looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfs17OB7OZc&t=980s
The map and overworld sprites look good, yeah, but from the moment a battle transition triggers, or someone starts talking, it goes back to looking like disjointed rear end.

Edit: Is this what people who hate AI-generated 60 FPS tweening sound like? Because I'm starting to understand how they feel.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 13, 2021

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

girl dick energy posted:

I don't just mean the menus. I hate the 'pixels but not really' art style the remasters are using. The style the characters are drawn in does nothing to address the main issue that the Matrix version had. Nothing looks like it belongs in the same game. The characters, the backgrounds, the enemies, the menus, they're all 'pixelated' at different scales, without so much as a consistent palette or light source/shading to tie them together.

It looks like a mid-2000s sprite comic.

There is a bit of HD Texture Pack Cat to it yeah.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

girl dick energy posted:

Edit: Is this what people who hate AI-generated 60 FPS tweening sound like? Because I'm starting to understand how they feel.

I don't know about 'sound like', but it ultimately is the same discomfort from seeing mismatched assets parading around as if they all fit together that leads to those complaints. It doesn't bother everyone - or even most casual onlookers - but once you 'see' it you can't really unsee it, and it just makes your stomach drop out every time.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

dis astranagant posted:

You can only get 2. Quicksaving and loading after picking up the freebie acts as if you've picked it up normally.

Can you get both weapons this way?

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

I think the fact that it looks less disjointed than the Matrix release makes people more forgiving of it than they would be with only the originals as reference as well—as unmatched as this is, Matrix FFV was both a hodgepodge of stuff that didn't match and also the individual assets were mostly ugly as sin.

e: to clarify, most of the battle backgrounds and enemy sprites were fine—but everything around them, including the menus, looked loving awful and having stuff that doesn't match but is at least fairly universally handsome is a big step up, visually.

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 13, 2021

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Can you get both weapons this way?

You can take a different one from each if you really want to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, that's done and over with. Turns out that aegis doesn't stop white hole from killing you in this version, which was pretty gross combined with death removing your sandals haste in this version. Somehow an almagest happened before I could swing with break blade but it didn't matter.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've noticed some things that might be worth knowing for next fest.

Bardsong gets broken when an enemy whiffs through a blink. Saw this multiple times so I think that's accurate.
Killer Bow on a mini'd ranger does 0 damage consistently. Even though I threw several !Aimed shots none of them killed a crystal. Not necessarily enough for conclusive data but enough to cause me concern and if anyone else wants to test to confirm would be a good idea.

Moogles do NOT gently caress around. While I don't think anyone would actively ignore getting the cape in moogle village, there's no downtime between taking the moogle's 6 chests and leaving the tree before he comes right out, unlike the several seconds in previous versions.

Likewise, when Moore is set on fire very little time passes between gaining control and the moogle breaking through the ground. So be wary if you're unsure where the hole is and if you decide to go over and up, rather than up and over to the aegis shield chest.

Self Destruct does not end Galuf's scripted fight with Exdeath.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 14, 2021

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
!Mug is not a perfect defense against Chicken Knife flee, though it's significantly better than 25%. Procs regardless of stealable status of either the mob it hits or the mob it was targeted at.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 14, 2021

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Silver Specs never worked against Needle, right?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
In more positive !Mug news, Twin Lance makes two steal attempts. Not incredibly useful since the big bar to good steals is just getting lucky with what the mob carries, but it speeds things up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

Found this Soft lock:
https://i.imgur.com/6wmrmAc.mp4

Seems to be just about how Gold Needle can miss, and if it misses on a golem that's the last enemy.

No that's a gold needle lock.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

KataraniSword posted:

I don't know about 'sound like', but it ultimately is the same discomfort from seeing mismatched assets parading around as if they all fit together that leads to those complaints. It doesn't bother everyone - or even most casual onlookers - but once you 'see' it you can't really unsee it, and it just makes your stomach drop out every time.

All the effort put into water effects running up against the land/ships using the original texture does that to me.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Some more:
  • Head up, doing multiple !Spellblades has weird effects, unknown if it's just the animation or not. The person even said it might copy the enemy's but didn't really test it.
  • Oh, and !Mix has missables now (reported missed Bacchus Wine on somebody not immune to Berserk, drain kiss and Holy Breaths on Neo ExDeath. Drain kiss never was A but maybe in practice it was?).
  • Healing Staff can miss? (there's also a potential lockup with Zombies). It should be 100% proc and then Cura (A).
  • Zombie Dragons are Heavy now apparently.
  • This is an obvious one but water tiles now have something like standard encounter rates. At least grinding Stingray's will be faster (also, you can save right before if you want Dragon's Whisker since this version saves all that).

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 15, 2021

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

W2 Exdeath is immune to old, period. So your blue mage will just need to rely on aeroga to kill. (someone in discord was concerned about death by math in general, but at least Atomos still goes down to L5 death after a dark shock, so I guess if a chemist wanted to help a blue mage get him to 255 he'd go down then).
Speaking of spell blades, I forgot to test if changing equipment out completely negates the effect, but at least swapping hands didn't seem to remove the effect, probably a casualty of fixing the mirage vest glitch.
Melusion can still be locked down with confuse. (Lenna somehow survives getting headbutted by a dragon in PR)
Odin is still vulnerable to break.
Quickleak is dead. You'll get like 6 clock tics of sap before it stops. Also, apparently Venom Rods can be boosted it seems, which I don't think was true before since it casts sap, not actual poison. Either that or I was in a sweet spot where magic boosting items put in a LOT more punch.

e:forgot FF5 bio was poison elemental, was thinking of 4's non elemental flavor.

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 15, 2021

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Killing Quickleak is criminal and they should feel bad

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I mean, I think so.

Huh, somebody said Monk's !Focus might ignore Protect now.

Also someone else said they had weird behavior after a Prototype with Mustard Bomb or something. Had some lock ups with it. Stated it persisted even after restarting the save and they ended up returning to an old one. Someone else said it was known and might be fixable with loading a Quicksave:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Did Elven Mantled Bard always get knocked out of !Sing on proc?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

No. It might be a consequence of how they decided the mantle effect; instead of "miss", now an incoming attack just does 0 damage.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

Bard gets kicked out from a whiff from blink too.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doom Goon posted:

Huh, somebody said Monk's !Focus might ignore Protect now.

I know I was doing a lot of damage against Biblyos with it compared to normal attacks, but I couldn't recall if defense was additive or multiplicative compared to attack, before.

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

Bruceski posted:

I know I was doing a lot of damage against Biblyos with it compared to normal attacks, but I couldn't recall if defense was additive or multiplicative compared to attack, before.

I've noticed that Two-Handed from Knight now doubles attack rather than doubling the multiplier, could be the same thing happening with Focus. The general damage formula boils down to (Attack - Defense) * M, so doubling attack means the defense is unchanged while doubling the multiplier also doubles the defense component.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Anyone know about changes to !Gaia in the pixel remaster? My buddy's playing through it on Twitch, and just got at least a dozen Wind Slashes in a row on the floating island after switching in a Geo. I think they made changes to !Gaia to make it useful in the Matrix versions too, but I never payed much attention to those.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I just had Bridge Gilgamesh use Panacea on himself (and showed Miss? Which is weird because he was Slowed). Next successful attack he ran so maybe a weird failsafe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I've obtained some Important Festive Data.

First, Minotaur will still immediately die to having the assassin dagger thrown at him.
Second: Omni does not seem to counter !item any more, at least ether. Using masamune, rods and magic lamp on him did get a return.
Third - It doesn't seem like ether smashes his MP pool down to 9999 any more.
Fourth; I don't think he casts Scan any more, maybe just lousy RNG, maybe something more sinister.
5th I don't think he's heavy any more, silence blade sticks for a really long time, I left it go on autopilot for a bit and I was almost certain that the team's ATB separated enough for him to lose silence, but he still was. Even when I dropped auto battle and let my silence bladed mystic knight sit for a bit and he still didnt get a cast.
VI Hippy poo poo Aint Magic.
6b - RETURN COSTS 1MP, so if you can somehow thread the needle and run him out of MP (or I had horrible libra odds), he can killed by no750 teams