Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Syndicate was fun and the grappling hook worked out well. I'm sad that it's probably, for the foreseeable future, the last AC game that takes place only in one large city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Unity has a really nice setting going for it but that’s about it. There’s hints of a good story but they never deliver like they should

Dead Kings was pretty fun though

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I just did the tombs and the new seasonal event which just went live. The tombs were well made and pretty enjoyable. Not like the previous tombs in other games where it felt like you were fighting the camera and movement controls more than solving puzzles. It took about 2 hours to beat all 3 including getting the artifacts (don't miss them). Don't forget you can throw stuff you are carrying, it is required to solve some of the puzzles.

The new seasonal event was pretty meh, it started off with loads of bugs, conversations wouldn't play and the game even crashed once (xbox series x). The events are the usual "challenges", shoot some arrows, fight some guys, ride the horse and shoot targets. They made the shooting games much, much easier and I got gold on both on my first try and I have serious problems aiming in this game. Like seriously am I the only one in the world who has a problem with the massive aim acceleration in this game? Anyway the very last quest was frustrating as hell, a tip: One of the things you need to find during the discovery party is under the water in the river.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

PlushCow posted:

Syndicate was fun and the grappling hook worked out well. I'm sad that it's probably, for the foreseeable future, the last AC game that takes place only in one large city.

Syndicate was highly surprising for me. It was made by Ubisoft Quebec instead of Montreal and they had a reputation for being a subpar shovelware studio. They ended up making my personal favorite ''classic style'' AC game. I was expecting something even worst than Unity.

I started Valhalla recently and I found myself quite enjoying the intro sequence, which is rare in most games for me.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Bonby posted:

I started Valhalla recently and I found myself quite enjoying the intro sequence, which is rare in most games for me.

I just restarted Valhalla on the PS5 and I think the intro works extremely well as a mostly self-contained story. I appreciate how narratively it kind of subverts the other games because you assume that you'll spend the whole game chasing Kjotve out of a desire for revenge, but instead you just handle that almost immediately and then just kind of shrug and roll with Sigurd's plans to settle in England.

I also feel like it almost doesn't get enough credit for carrying forward a lot of the old games' design ethos, like if you somehow skipped from the Ezio games to Valhalla it would still be recognizably the same series with a lot of similar systems (social stealth and a settlement money sink and weird little five-minute sidequests, basically everything Origins/Odyssey lack).

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

odyssey has a ton of weird little sidequests :confused:

the settlement thing was a nice idea but it was so half-assed in its implementation in valhalla i kind of wish they just hadnt

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Earwicker posted:

odyssey has a ton of weird little sidequests :confused:

the settlement thing was a nice idea but it was so half-assed in its implementation in valhalla i kind of wish they just hadnt

Odyssey had a ton of sidequests where you go talk to three people in two towns then go kill a cave full of bandits, I'm talking about the Ezio style 'beat up this drunk husband real quick if you want' style where the entire thing takes place in the same thirty square foot area and you don't get a quest marker, you just do it or not

And while the settlement is indeed half-baked so is the villa in AC2 or the homestead in AC3, so it's more continuing the tradition

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Wolfsheim posted:

Odyssey had a ton of sidequests where you go talk to three people in two towns then go kill a cave full of bandits, I'm talking about the Ezio style 'beat up this drunk husband real quick if you want' style where the entire thing takes place in the same thirty square foot area and you don't get a quest marker, you just do it or not

And while the settlement is indeed half-baked so is the villa in AC2 or the homestead in AC3, so it's more continuing the tradition

I think there were political assassinations like that in AC: Odyssey.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I think there were political assassinations like that in AC: Odyssey.

I think they mean more like the world quests in Valhalla where you happen across someone hollering about evil ghosts inside their nearby house and you go investigate and it turns out to be a crazy old dude who attacks you and dies and you just joke about how he's a real ghost now or something

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FAUXTON posted:

I think they mean more like the world quests in Valhalla where you happen across someone hollering about evil ghosts inside their nearby house and you go investigate and it turns out to be a crazy old dude who attacks you and dies and you just joke about how he's a real ghost now or something

So a meaningless sidequest like the ones in Odyssey where you helped a woman assassinate a politician just down the street that takes like 2 minutes to complete but funnier? Or the seemingly randomly generated ones that just kind of actually bog the game down if you feel compelled to complete them all and really only take a few minutes more than that? There seemed to be a lot of real short ones in Odyssey but idk, could be misremembering.

I'm not sure the distinction I guess.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
A lot lf people don't like formulaic and randomly generated quests of Odyssey. Even the good ones still direct you into some fort to kill or steal or liberate or whatever. Valhalla has a lot of short stories that are resolved quickly. Those are bad stories but they're way better than Odyssey ones if you don't like gameplay. AC games are unique big budget windows into rarely seen settings so I guess devs should do something to make it easier for people who don't actually like playing the game but want to complete it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Syndicate feels like a deliberate attempt to do Victorian Batman Arkham City and its best bits feel like that.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I think Syndicate starts the tradition of Ubisoft hiding all the effort that went into their games. There are fantastic authentic songs composed specifically for those games and you can hear them if you go into taverns after specific plot developments. But you never have a reason to do so. People on the streets have many more possible activities compared to previous games but you don't have a reason to walk the streets because of bat grappling hook. Similar to how later games need you to launch a separate mode, Discovery Tour, to actually notice how much stuff in the game is deliberate and unique and not just randomly generated background noise.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

So a meaningless sidequest like the ones in Odyssey where you helped a woman assassinate a politician just down the street that takes like 2 minutes to complete but funnier? Or the seemingly randomly generated ones that just kind of actually bog the game down if you feel compelled to complete them all and really only take a few minutes more than that? There seemed to be a lot of real short ones in Odyssey but idk, could be misremembering.

I'm not sure the distinction I guess.

the first one, an actual written sidequest but funnier in Valhalla than odyssey. It's real possible the assassinate a politician thing was just more in line with the Odyssey setting and plot than it would have been in Valhalla

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Was doing my usual Wikipedia browsing and happened upon the Pazzi conspiracy. I’ve sunk about 100 hours each into Odyssey and Valhalla but man do I miss Ezio and actually having a memorable story involving assassins and historical figures

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ilitarist posted:

A lot lf people don't like formulaic and randomly generated quests of Odyssey. Even the good ones still direct you into some fort to kill or steal or liberate or whatever. Valhalla has a lot of short stories that are resolved quickly. Those are bad stories but they're way better than Odyssey ones if you don't like gameplay. AC games are unique big budget windows into rarely seen settings so I guess devs should do something to make it easier for people who don't actually like playing the game but want to complete it.

yeah. while vahalla has pacing issues. its pace is better then odyssey by far and i think its good mix of origins and odyssy.

i am curious how infinite will end up because it does sound like its gonna be giant single play game that will add more periods and maps for a while.

Adun posted:

Was doing my usual Wikipedia browsing and happened upon the Pazzi conspiracy. I’ve sunk about 100 hours each into Odyssey and Valhalla but man do I miss Ezio and actually having a memorable story involving assassins and historical figures

same.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

AC2 was magical for its time, because I didn't really know anything about the time period it takes place in, so a lot of the twists and turns were new and exciting.

Specifically, I didn't even know that Rodrigo Borgia became the pope so the whole final act of that game was an experience that I don't think video games will ever be able to repeat for me

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish they'd go full silly nonsense weird and just say "gently caress it" and introduce alternate history things to the game. So if you meet a real life historical figure and they're an antagonist, you can straight up gank them and change history forever. Up until now you just couldn't do that, Valhalla even contorts itself into pretzels to make it so. I think that's the only real way to make the modern day stuff super interesting.

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.

The unicorn mount is a reward for completing one of this week's challenges. It trails rainbows from its hooves as it runs. You have to kill 5 enemies by ramming them with your mount to get it.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbot posted:

I wish they'd go full silly nonsense weird and just say "gently caress it" and introduce alternate history things to the game. So if you meet a real life historical figure and they're an antagonist, you can straight up gank them and change history forever. Up until now you just couldn't do that, Valhalla even contorts itself into pretzels to make it so. I think that's the only real way to make the modern day stuff super interesting.

I think that stuff is on the table, actually, given the way the Isu plot has been going.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

there is definitely already "alt history" in the game just at a smaller scale. like, king rhodri of the britons was a real person but the whole plot about him in the game is completely divergent from his actual life. same with ivar the boneless and his brothers

like we don't know a lot about these people but the idea that rhodri died in england due to being blood eagle'd by ivar is definitely fantasy, they never met and rhodri lived in an entirely different area than depicted in the game (wales) and was killed by saxons not vikings

it would be a challenge to do it on a larger scale. like if you could kill alfred that would rewrite english history in massive and unforeseeable ways and they'd have to write all that poo poo, and they'd probably do it really badly and involve even more convoluted modern day segments than we already have.

im pretty sure part of the reason for the animus genetic memory virtual reality gimmick, with its constant threats of "desynchronization", is to enable them to do a game in a bunch of different periods in non-chronological order without making it a "time travel" game and all the mess that entails

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 13, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Not sure it counts as alt-history. Templars just rewrite history books. In-universe of AC no one actually knows about those events.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 13, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
They went pretty alt-history with King Washington.

I can't see them doing much more than that because mucking around in historical settings is part of the core of the franchise.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Rattlehead posted:

The unicorn mount is a reward for completing one of this week's challenges. It trails rainbows from its hooves as it runs. You have to kill 5 enemies by ramming them with your mount to get it.

I did this challenge on a relatively fresh save and I don't know if later mounts actually do more damage but this was brutal riding a random horse. Running into a soldier at full speed would literally take off 1hp at a time (even the crappy little kick you can do does 8hp of damage) which basically meant me whittling every soldier down until I couldn't see their health bar anymore, chasing down the horse that had run off, than running my horse over them five or six times each.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004
I tried to do it with normal enemies and was getting frustrated. Read that you can just run over some geese and got it done in 5-10 min max.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Have the discovery tours always been this good? I just started Valhalla’s and am blown away that there’s so much going on: stories, characters, new scenery.

I thought it was going to be just the game but with points of interest superimposed on the map and little text things you can read about the locations.

Also, I too loved the tombs in the latest update. They did a great job with them and it added a lot of value seeing as the festival is just more of the same games.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Discovery has always been a much higher effort than you'd expect. Valhalla is supposed to be the most developed in that regard, but Otigins and Ofyssey will blow your mind too if you let them. Really those things are necessary to realize the quality of the world devs have created.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
In this game that type of quests are just called World Events or something like that. Some are kind of amusing but I've had like three or four of them so far just be the same story basically: insane person believes some crazy poo poo, you go along with it for some reason, then maybe they die (or maybe not).

Also what the hell are discovery tours I've never seen anything about that tmk

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

It's a separate mode available from the main menu.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Origin's was boring and a frighteningly inadequate substitute for the codex. I did not bother with the others.

Although to be fair it did give a cool bird skin back when those did not grow on trees.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I've gotten super into this recently after picking it up cheap. I adored Odyssey and finished every storyline there and will probably do the same here. I did the first two zone stories but then the Ireland DLC opened up and I was about at that power level so I devoured all that. I left England at like power 55 and I'll be returning at 150 with a magical spear and like ten new skills.

The one area this game seems to have gone backwards though is builds and armor, and I'm not super if that's something they deliberately did to dial it back from the insane god-powers of Cassandra or whether I just haven't gotten far enough to see the really cool stuff yet. The difference between Bear/Raven/Wolf doesn't feel like a legit choice since I feel like the game forces me into open melee combat a lot more than Odyssey did, and the armor bonuses themselves feel really anemic like just "some extra damage" or "extra armor". Do I just need to keep playing to see the cool stuff?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I think I had more fun with combat in Odyssey but I'm still enjoying Valhalla overall. Surprised how much I actually like the characters thus far, just finished up the Ragnarsson alliance.

e: :mad: \/

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 20, 2021

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Diephoon posted:

Surprised how much I actually like the characters thus far, just finished up the Ragnarsson alliance.
heh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
yeah the combat is definitely what they bungled in this one. mainly by making it so freaking easy that there is really no point in being skillfull just press the attack button and throw in a few specials here and there, maybe a dodge if you're feeling spicy

everything else is one of the better AC games I think. the world, characters and story are all strong

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The best thing about the Discovery Tour is that they finally realised the history was interesting enough to stand on its own and that the"humour" from Shaun loving Hastings was just making GBS threads it up.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Adun posted:

I mean, Bayek did kill... whoever... naked in a bath house, and cut off his finger like an idiot while doing it. That's memorable, right ?

But yeah, that was kind of the peril of an Ancient Egypt/Ancient Greece/Iron Age trilogy. Nobody besides historians knows 9/10th of these people. And you don't even kill Leonidas, or Xerxes... or Socrates. SOCRATES ! The ONE ancient fucker who's renowned for having been done raw and whose death makes no loving sense ! Don't kill Caesar, or Cleo, or Mark Anthony neither (that I remember - but I was drunk throughout most of the last chapter of Origins). Just a poo poo show of random masks who may or may not be historical but mostly not.

And it's not like architecture can save them, either. Granted, Odyssey has some cool temples ; but England and Egypt are really meh. Meanwhile Arno gets to be a fuckup on top of fricking Notre Dame...

ETA : as an aside, I really don't get how or why we haven't had a Sengoku Jidai AC yet. Like, yeah, sure, there's a million ninja games out there already but... but c'mon ! Lots of historical figures dying in odd circumstances, politics out the wazoo ; strange weapons ; castles and temples and torii oh my ! to climb ; geishas in light kimonos hanging on for dear life ; the Imperial Regalia as almost real-life Isu artifacts (they're so secretive about them, it's almost likely they're gone but nobody knows !)... there really is AC some potential there.
So really, gently caress you Ghost of Tsushima, for negging them and being exclusive at the same time. They would have forgotten about Tenchu otherwise, you bastards !

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 20, 2021

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, Bayek did kill... whoever... naked in a bath house, and cut off his finger like an idiot while doing it. That's memorable, right ?

They probably mean an interesting story involving a famous historical person. Origins has Caesar and Cleopatra but doesn't do anything interesting with them, instead playing around famous myths. Oh Cleopatra really did arrive in a carpet and really did promise a night of passion and execution to anyone.

Kobal2 posted:

But yeah, that was kind of the peril of an Ancient Egypt/Ancient Greece/Iron Age trilogy. Nobody besides historians knows 9/10th of these people. And you don't even kill Leonidas, or Xerxes... or Socrates. SOCRATES ! The ONE ancient fucker who's renowned for having been done raw and whose death makes no loving sense ! Don't kill Caesar, or Cleo, or Mark Anthony neither (that I remember - but I was drunk throughout most of the last chapter of Origins). Just a poo poo show of random masks who may or may not be historical but mostly not.

Caesar is killed in Origins, sorry for spoilers. And Odyssey had a lot of famous people portrayed in a hit or miss way. I liked Socrates! The way they've integrated his real history into the game plot was a great example of how the series is supposed to deal with those historical characters if they're involved in the plot at all. It was very weird how the whole French Revolution that had 3 thousand secret societies and plots is basically not connected to Assassin/Templar war.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ilitarist posted:

It was very weird how the whole French Revolution that had 3 thousand secret societies and plots is basically not connected to Assassin/Templar war.

Having worked on it for real (I mean, as a history major)... not that weird ^^;.
But, granted, besides the Marquis de Sade, Nappy and Robespierre (maybe Danton ?) I'd wager most non-French people were dealing with what amounts to randoms (from their PoV). Hell, most French people too.
But *I* got a kick out of meeting Théroigne de Méricourt ! So, really, it was all justified.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The one big obvious character missing from Unity was Lafayette. Such an obvious tie to what came before, a name 'muricans can recognize, and a cool dude to boot. Just have him show up, give a few missions, drop a few lines about his buddy Connor to get the continuity nerds all hot and bothered. Then he gets sidelined and that's your cue that something is wrong with the Revolution, if you actually want to go that way. It writes itself.

Just baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

valhalla probably had the fewest recognizable Big Name historical characters of any of them really. other than maybe king alfred none of the characters in the game are household names on the level of like socrates or caesar or karl marx. but imo the game is not any worse for it at all.