Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

to add to the great PHUO's here's another: eating out at restaurants sucks. It honestly feels really awkward acting like I deserve to have people waiting on me and I can't even really afford it. Take out 100%
I've never liked eating around people. I mean I can do it but it's John Noble Tomato Time all the time in restaurants. (And the food scene from Avalon, if you've been lucky enough to see that movie.)

phuo: 'Left handed' continental style for right handed diners. Fork only in right hand, knife only in left hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Tiggum posted:

There are tons of TV shows and movies where one or more people find themselves somehow transported from the past into the present, but none of them I'm aware of actually make that the focus of the story. There's always something else going on that the time travel element exists to facilitate. But the bit I want to see, the person learning about the modern world and adapting to it, is treated as a distraction or a joke. They'll acknowledge it to the smallest extent they think they can get away with, right near the start, and then maybe bring it up once or twice later on when there's some unexpected thing the time traveller hasn't encountered yet, and that's it. They just take it as given that they react to and figure stuff out off-screen. But I want that on-screen! I want that to be the entire show! Why doesn't that show exist? Am I the only one?

Similarly I think that Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds was a terrible movie but I kept having this thought that it would be super interesting to know what happened after the invasion. Like what happens to the alien craft, how is their technology analyzed, how do world governments recover from the shock of everything. All of that would be way more interesting than the actual movie that was presented.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The secret to any version of War of the Worlds is that the Alien's are just the British.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Local Weather posted:

Similarly I think that Steven Spielberg's War of the Worlds was a terrible movie but I kept having this thought that it would be super interesting to know what happened after the invasion. Like what happens to the alien craft, how is their technology analyzed, how do world governments recover from the shock of everything. All of that would be way more interesting than the actual movie that was presented.

I was really disappointed when the Independence Day sequel had all of that basically as backstory that gets blown up 30 minutes in so they can just retread the first movie.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Krispy Kreme donuts suck

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

Krispy Kreme donuts suck

Yup and Dunkin donuts suck even worse somehow

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

to add to the great PHUO's here's another: eating out at restaurants sucks. It honestly feels really awkward acting like I deserve to have people waiting on me and I can't even really afford it. Take out 100%

Take out is becoming a lost art. I remember having to go get food for pretty much anything besides pizza or Chinese when I first moved out of my patent’s place. I remember finding a Greek place that delivered in the late 90s and it blew my world apart.

Also thinks like wings and fries are way better if you go pick them up and drive them home than having them delivered.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i'm that weirdo who likes to go to cafes/restaurants alone

phuo: going to cafes/restaurants alone is super underrated and i implore anyone who never done it or thinks its weird to try it out (covid restrictions and situation permitting)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Local Weather posted:

In the 80s, the 1953 George Pal version of War of the Worlds got a TV show as a sequel, which tells us what happened in the 30-odd years since the alien attack had completely hosed up the whole planet: Everything went right back to normal almost immediately and all evidence of the aliens was packed away in government warehouses or disposal sites and very few people even remember that the invasion happened at all. Despite that, I still like the show. Its two seasons were great examples of two very different kinds of 80s sci-fi.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
After WotW, I'd say it's safe to assume that the masses developed considerable delusions and within six months misremembered events as the world being saved by religion. Instead of acknowledging that advances in medical research could have solved the issue more quickly (and indeed almost did), they likely took any available technology and set off on The First Crusade.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Zuckerberg is not that weird.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Animal-Mother posted:

Zuck is the creepiest weirdo I have ever seen and I grew up with a guy who spent five grades pretending to be an invisible cat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

nurmie posted:

phuo: going to cafes/restaurants alone is super underrated and i implore anyone who never done it or thinks its weird to try it out (covid restrictions and situation permitting)

same. Also movies.

The worst is when the server looks at me like I'm pathetic. I live with my girlfriend, sometimes I just want to be alone! Don't chat me up about what I'm reading please, random guy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

nurmie posted:

I've never understood the internet's (in general; not OP) weird hangup about this. I go to movies and restaurants alone all the time (at least I did pre-pandemic) and never thought twice about it until some on the internet - not on this forum - were acting like it was bad.

On a similar note, PHUO: There's nothing wrong with going to your high school reunion. This is another weird hangup of the internet in general. I went to my ten year one and had a lot of fun. Doesn't mean I "peaked in high school" or never got over those years; it was just fun to hang out with my class and drink for a few hours.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Nov 13, 2021

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

same. Also movies.

I happily went to movies by myself when I was single, but it can bite you sometimes.

I saw the original Oldboy by myself, and it was PAINFUL not having anyone to discuss all that with.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Animal-Mother posted:

He may have started a "normal nerd" but after being a billionaire nerd for years, I guarantee he is really weird now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Diagrams on how to tie specific types of knots aren't helpful at all. They're like that "how to draw an owl" meme where they skip every step between having a rope and having a knot.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ties should be stored already tied, just loosened. If you know how to tie one, you are a nerd.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Last time I wore a tie was back when I was drinking too much, at a wedding, used "oriental" Simple Knot. Tie worked great.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jefferey should sell a commemorative SA NFT, use it to fund the forums. They are a scam, like stocks, but who cares, make money.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Stocks are not a scam

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They are a legal fiction. Is Tesla stock a scam? It's value is based on a cult of personality. What about "instruments"? Professional investment bankers put a lot of money into those and crashed the economy, then got bailed out by governments. Happened more than once.

Were they stupid, or were they scamming?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Diagrams on how to tie specific types of knots aren't helpful at all. They're like that "how to draw an owl" meme where they skip every step between having a rope and having a knot.

You just make the knot look like the next step as you look at it. You know the starting state and you just move the rope into the new shape???

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I've forgotten more knots than most people know and even I've been tripped up by some of the diagrams. They can be simple and straightforward, but sometimes they assume you've read the previous twenty knots in the series and know the patterns, at which point they start skipping the obvious steps.

That aside, I understand that people have different learning styles. One of my friends gets left/right wrong consistently. Another claims a complete lack of visual-spatial skills (and when I asked about knots I got basically the description above, "diagrams useless").

I'm curious if you can tie knots. :) Does animatedknots.com work for you? Need the full YouTube videos? In person replication only?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've taught knots to people and you need to know a bunch of different approaches because some just don't work for some people.

And yeah, the diagrams are sometimes pretty confusing.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

“If you don’t know a knot, tie a lot”

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The Mighty Moltres posted:

“If you don’t know a knot, tie a lot”

:hmmyes:

My tie-down jobs are ugly, but they don’t come loose.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I feel this way about YouTube tutorials about cornrows.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I feel this way about YouTube tutorials about cornrows.

I imagine that you aren't even a hairdresser, you just want to be able to do cornrows as a hobby, and your poor girlfriends gets her hair almost pulled out every weekend while you grumble and swear and try to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

doverhog posted:

They are a legal fiction. Is Tesla stock a scam? It's value is based on a cult of personality. What about "instruments"? Professional investment bankers put a lot of money into those and crashed the economy, then got bailed out by governments. Happened more than once.

Were they stupid, or were they scamming?

NFTs: Scam
Equity securities: Not a scam but ripe for stupid decisions
Derivatives and debt securities: Not a scam - more like a mix of fraud and theft. Like cheat codes for the finance sector

I think scams require a more specific type of victim, like a bag holder or other type of rube

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is absolutely no difference between a NFT, a buttcoin, or a obfuscated financial instrument, that has it's value determined "by the market".

If you own stock in Microsoft or whatever that produces something people actually use, or shares in some kind of diversified index fund that invest in companies like that, ok, that's not a scam.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

doverhog posted:

There is absolutely no difference between a NFT, a buttcoin, or a obfuscated financial instrument, that has it's value determined "by the market".

Yeah NFTs and Bitcoin are in fact scams because they eventually will require bagholders. The scam just hasn't hit its conclusion. I disagree about derivatives being the same thing, but mostly on the type of theft it is

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

I happily went to movies by myself when I was single, but it can bite you sometimes.

I saw the original Oldboy by myself, and it was PAINFUL not having anyone to discuss all that with.

Haha, I did the same thing with Audition, I think I ended up saying "Wow" to a stranger just to say something

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I mean shares give a tangible right to vote and control the company and to receive dividends. If I own 75% (in my country) I can literally tear up the articles of the business and do what I want with it. That has real value.

Why are derivatives theft? You have a future right/obligation to deliver money/goods that is itself traded on a market, even if people normally settle up without actually taking delivery. If Joe sells futures contracts and I buy them, I don't see the issue unless one of us has been manipulated into a deal they don't understand, like on those borderline loving criminal trading apps.

Is the US so unregulated that the brokers themselves are running off with the money or setting nonsense premiums?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean shares give a tangible right to vote and control the company and to receive dividends. If I own 75% (in my country) I can literally tear up the articles of the business and do what I want with it. That has real value.

Why are derivatives theft? You have a future right/obligation to deliver money/goods that is itself traded on a market, even if people normally settle up without actually taking delivery. If Joe sells futures contracts and I buy them, I don't see the issue unless one of us has been manipulated into a deal they don't understand, like on those borderline loving criminal trading apps.

Is the US so unregulated that the brokers themselves are running off with the money or setting nonsense premiums?

I direct you to the Lehman bro financial crisis, and the EU Greek financial crisis. It was shown that these instruments are just a way to steal money from the tax payers. Privatize the wins, socialize the losses.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'd have to dig up the source so take this with a grain of salt, but at any given time derivatives and debt securities eclipse real world debt and assets by around an order of magnitude

Large players and hedge funds are trading made-up assets that are supposed to have some kind of backing. There is no function for realization and the on-paper losses of such an event are always socialized. So yeah it's theft, just theft from everyone at once.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Fashionable Jorts posted:

PHUO: this thread is a toxic cesspool that should be permanently closed.

All it is is the same dozen or so people (myself included, I cannot distance myself from my actions) posting whatever nonsense comes to mind in an attempt to provoke others. Little to no healthy discussion has come from this thread. Either an opinion is inane and ignored, or pisses off other posters and a fight starts.

It is the all of the worst aspects of social media distilled to its purest form: people empowered by anonymity being lovely. And we are all addicted to that little dopamine kick that comes in the form of outrage.

After I post this, I'm leaving this thread forever, and I highly recommend everyone else who reads this to do the same. You'll be healthier for it.

provoking really whiny people is fun

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

opera should be performed in either latin, italian or german at a pitch and diction where i cant understand it because all the lyrics sound feaking dumb. opera in english sounds silly

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
All opera needs subtitle glasses.

(Hell this is basically true of every song past 1950 anyway, but I suspect my auditory acuity is below average.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
The only enjoyable Christmas songs are the ones that get really explicitly religious. They are not inherently better, just harder to be shoehorned into TV and radio advertisements and run into the ground. Like, you can't do God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen because if you change the line "remember Christ our savior" to "tremendous discount savings" you're going to be picketed by church groups.